Track Maker Wishlist

• Thread starter HaylRayzor
  • 76 comments
Rollercoaster tycoon style builder. Build the track segment by segment, with desired height, angles, and banking. That's initially what I thought, not some randomizer.

That would never happen... This is a simulator game. If the course creator was like this, people would mostly make crazy jumps, insane tracks etc.

What I want is pretty simple (in my mind).
You make the base of the track with this course creator. Then, you would be able to select each section and it would be divided into more sections. Then you could customise every corner, straight an everything else in great detail!
Pretty simple, eh? :sly:

Hey s2k2,

Have you considered duplicating Sebring??? There's a course map on the website...

I run that track regularly with the Porsche Club and was hoping it would make it to GT 5.....

If the course creator was like this, people would mostly make crazy jumps, insane tracks etc.

That's easy enough. Just make ANY track in Mt. Aso.

Have you considered duplicating Sebring??? There's a course map on the website...

Doesn't work that way. You can only generate random layouts. You have only limited control over complexity and corner sharpness. You can't place corners how you want them.

That's easy enough. Just make ANY track in Mt. Aso.

Doesn't work that way. You can only generate random layouts. You have only limited control over complexity and corner sharpness. You can't place corners how you want them.

AARGH...I knew there was a catch...after your tunes got me through GT5P I figured you would be the right guy for the job....👍

I guess what everyone is asking for is a similar creator like the one in Modnation Racers. That was detailed but easy to use and the tracks turned out exactly how you wanted them to.
C'mon PD, it's okay to be inspired by someone else ;)

I think we may need to face the fact that the course maker is afterthought.

There are a lot of games out there with track editors. Most are better than GT5s.

I don't buy the bit about it being technically impossible. Many other games have shown that very small data files can be used effectively for the PS3 to use as a blue print. I've played levels in Little Big Planet which were incredibly complex for a 300kb file.

I know that's a very simplistic example but the principle is there. GT5 just doesn't use it.

I would like to see the option of making just one section tracks and to specify the length of the track...basically for drag strip purposes...to test 0 - 100; 0 - 400 and 0 - 1000.

I would love to be able to name the corners on the circuits you make, like they appear on the Top Gear Test Track or Nordschleife during their respective special events. That would really add to the uniqueness of each course - they wouldn't appear so similar if each corner had an interesting name.

Time for a pretty epically large post post, we'll see how this one goes. I was gonna make a thread as this is less of a wishlist and more of a suggestion or a "can it even be done?" post.

Seeding, or the values given when the editor randomly generates something. Eh, I don't know the actual term and what they actually mean, but I'll explain it a bit more. If anyone has played some of the Worms games on DS or console you may remember that they have a level generator. When it generates a level it reads out a code in numbers that represents the random generation of that particular level. You can also input the code later to get the exact same level later on. It would be really nice to have this feature for the course maker for a couple of reasons. Find a nice terrain layout you like? Well you could save it or you could keep the code for it and use it later for the track you wanted, you could also post the code here or send it to friends so they wouldn't even need to download the track from your profile. This would solve the problem of having only one slot to share tracks.

Another idea would be for the generator to only randomize the terrain, then just let us draw roads across the top of it. I think this might be possible as the logics are already in place for the creator to be able to run the tracks across whatever terrain. That would be nice but I doubt it will happen anyway...

Some other things apart from full day/night on all tracks and weather options on all tracks as well would be...

The ability to chose dirt or tarmac on all courses. I'd love to drive some race cars on an Alaska Track or Leige but I don't want to drive on dirt or snow even though the layout is fine. Just swapping in a tarmac texture and properties from the others couldn't be that hard right? I think they could allow us to swap in some dirt on Mt. Aso and Toscana (they have a dirt toscana track already anyhow) I doubt Eifel would work for dirt as that really makes no sense but whatever.

An undo button would be cool as well. For instance, last night I had a good layout but wanted to default the turn sharpness on all seven sectors. Forgetting that doing so would change the layout entirely I changed all of them to 0 at once with L1. I then lost my sweet layout and couldn't find it again, I mean come on there's 7 sectors and 11 positions for the turn sharpness slider in each sector, chances that I stumble upon the one I had before are slim to none. :( A simple undo button would have helped me right about there.

Running the tracks in reverse is something that would instantly double what the editor is capable of. I don't know if mirroring them would be possible or not but it's a cool idea.

Oh and tell me someone who disagrees with an "export to XMB" option. This would allow us to transfer them much more easily and allow us to transfer more than one at a time without the need for adding more slots to sharing them on our profile and taking up more space on some of PD's servers. Were this to happen, a GTP file share function for sharing tracks would be awesome.

I still think they need to make good on their promises of point to point tracks and the ability to play them online with friends.

definitely needs to be an easier way to create chicanes and hairpins. Two of the most vital ingredients of any race track and there's no way to define where you want them :(

I would love to be able to name the corners on the circuits you make, like they appear on the Top Gear Test Track or Nordschleife during their respective special events. That would really add to the uniqueness of each course - they wouldn't appear so similar if each corner had an interesting name.

+1 this would be a very very cool feature and should be very easy for PD to add.

These features are the most needed:
1. U can pick up the blue dots and place them anywhere on the map, and the course will adapt. (this is a big one, i dont understand why didnt do that in the first place)
2. Banking angles for each section, when checked it will automatically bank on bends, but u set the strength of the bank
3. Set the maximum or minimum elevation change for each section

These and

Point to point option
Ability to race in private lobbies as was advertised.

Did anyone play V-Rally 2 on the PSone? The track editor on that game was awesome. You could start from nothing and build the track up with block style pieces and then bend them to almost extreme measures. Sharp lefts, rights, ups and downs wherever on the track you want.

These features are the most needed:
1. U can pick up the blue dots and place them anywhere on the map, and the course will adapt. (this is a big one, i dont understand why didnt do that in the first place)
2. Banking angles for each section, when checked it will automatically bank on bends, but u set the strength of the bank
3. Set the maximum or minimum elevation change for each section

As for elevation why not have a pointer you can leave on a spot and then increase or decrease the Intensity of the contour lines at that point. Im tired of building tracks that have Big Dipper elevation in places that are most unseemly.

I know there are difficult corners IRL the "corkscrew" been one but How many straights do you see that have a "Big Dipper" right in the midle of a top speed run. The other thing is the way the game seems to put hairpin bends no matter what complexity I set. So I get a Hill at the end of a fast stright that then drops 50ft into a hairpin. You have to brake going up the hill so you dont jump into the nearest field, then coast 50 meters so you can make the 2nd gear corner at the bottom of the hill. It really ruins my attempts to build a flowing track a lot of the time.

Whats annoying is I usually have a track thats 75% lovely and 25% "undertakers friend" !!!!!

Probably mentioned a thousand times, but I just want the ability to edit single corners. That would make me a happy person.

PD and Kaz, if you are listening

- point to point racing
- want to be able to choose the time of racing more freely
- WOULD BE REALLY COOL IF I COULD USE GOOGLE MAPS TO SELECT A PIECE OF ROAD IN REAL LIFE AND GT5 MAKES IF FOR ME, TERRAIN AND ALL

- more themes, ESPECIALLY A MOUNTAIN PASS THEME

The course maker is a great idea but i feel lacks certain characteristics that stop if from being amazing. One thing is that you cannot control banking of the turns. Second I can't race my friends online at a track i created. Now the banking thing is very important to me, just like has been said at Eifel it is nearly impossible to get a course with out one horribly oppositely banked turn. I want to be able to make turns that are similar to The High Speed Ring with anywhere from no banking to maybe 30º. Now hopefully the next update will allow for us to race against friends on our own custom courses.

I think placing the dots is good but I would love to be able to have the control to push and pull the dots so I can shape the track. Once it is generated if there were handles at the direction changes that you could move and the track would reflow. Sort of like how bezier curves move in illustrator only simpler.

I would think that way the software could still be in charge of making sure the track conformed to whatever norms they need for AI playability but we could move corners off a peak or come closer to replicating real life circuits.

I think that the Course Maker can be improved by creating the course by maybe building it in a similar manner to Rollercoaster Tycoon. (anybody played that game?) adjusting the terrain would be sweet aswell I would love to create a track winding on the edge of a mountain :D

it just occurred to me, being a slot car racing hobbyist, that a great track editor wouldnt be unlike putting together a slot car race track, you'd have every angle possible different sizes of straights, or just a certain mileage of total road available to you along with tons of diorama type stuff so you could make your own little virtual diorama that doubles as a usable race track.

but the thing that would make it great would be if you had to unlock the editor itself but really early on, only your extremely limited at first. with a small amount of road mileage available to you and only certain angles and special type turns, few if any diorama pieces available other than basic stuff like grass, trees, guard rails etc. but as you progress and complete certain requirements you unlock more stuff and more mileage.

Just want to say kudos to PD for making custom tracks available online (finally) and for the turn bank adjustment.

I know there are some limitations we are unaware of to make tracks usable online, and we DON'T want to lose online functionality, but we also hope you are still working on improvements and features.

I would still really love a chicane feature, like a checkbox to add a chicane to a section. :D

I would like to see the option of making just one section tracks and to specify the length of the track...basically for drag strip purposes...to test 0 - 100; 0 - 400 and 0 - 1000.

I agree 👍

IR

left turn d-shaped ovals, or any oval with straight sections; much like Martinsville or New Hampshire.

You can make left turn ovals in Toscana, but they don't look or feel anything like a real oval track. And you can't get banked turns in your ovals. Even if you set the banking to 10 you get no banking unless the turn is sharp.

Did anyone play V-Rally 2 on the PSone? The track editor on that game was awesome. You could start from nothing and build the track up with block style pieces and then bend them to almost extreme measures. Sharp lefts, rights, ups and downs wherever on the track you want.

👍 this one was almost perfect! I would love to see that or even half of what you could do in V-Rally 2 in GT5...

👍 this one was almost perfect! I would love to see that or even half of what you could do in V-Rally 2 in GT5...

Never happen. Using tracks online in real time means we will always be limited in what configurations are allowed.

- Point to Point option
- Option to control the Height-Differences
- Option to set the length of the track.
- track-length up to 20km or more

Something like Trackmania's course editor would be good (althought without the insane jumps and high changes lol)...All that did was give you different sections to piece together like slot cars do on a generic background/arena and let you run wild with imagination

Back