Track Maker Wishlist

• Thread starter HaylRayzor
  • 76 comments
When I heard that GT5 was going to have a track editor I was thrilled. I had high hopes but ultimately felt what they offered was a huge letdown. I can't seem to come up with anything that even half way decent. Too many off camber turns and overall wackyness.

I work in GIS and my original hopes where that I would be able to upload Digital Elevation Models or shapefiles or even google map data to recreate some of the roads around my home. I didn't particularly care about recreating scenery as I would've been perfectly happy to allow RD to decorate the surounding of my tracks. So needless to say I'm disapoointed with what they've come up with. Maybe I was just being way too ambitious :)

I just want to be able to make point-to-point courses in the Track Maker, no more, no less.

When I heard that GT5 was going to have a track editor I was thrilled. I had high hopes but ultimately felt what they offered was a huge letdown. I can't seem to come up with anything that even half way decent. Too many off camber turns and overall wackyness.

I work in GIS and my original hopes where that I would be able to upload Digital Elevation Models or shapefiles or even google map data to recreate some of the roads around my home. I didn't particularly care about recreating scenery as I would've been perfectly happy to allow RD to decorate the surounding of my tracks. So needless to say I'm disapoointed with what they've come up with. Maybe I was just being way too ambitious :)

If we could do that, imagine the possibilities. Someone could recreate an entire country.

I think we should be able to write things in the road, like STOP, choosing the color of the lines, and alternative ways. Placing buildings would be awesome.
And I like the idea to place the dots and point-to-point.

PD, PLEASE HEAR ME OUT HERE, THIS WOULD MAKE YOUR TRACK MAKER BETTER, WITHOUT REMAKING THE WHOLE THING

* Must have

Overall track length: 1 KM - 10 KM *
Section Elevation: 0.0M - 30M (depending on how long section is) *
Chicanes: Option: Left or right *
Chicane placement: Slider, move slider one way and the chicane moves along the track *
Running direction: Clockwise - Anti clockwise *
First turn direction: Left, right
Crossovers: Bridge track crossovers
Runoff area: Choose from: Sandtrap, grass asphalt *
Apex placement: Choose from: Outside - inside
Apex placement: slider to move apex around track section
Start line placement: Slider to move start line around track (only places on straights)
Pit lane: Sticks with start line. Choose from: Pit lane (Yes, no) (left of start, right of start)
Base track shape: Oval, Rectangle, C, D, or none

It's way too much I know, but the ones marked as must have (*) would make the track making idea so much more fun.

It's making it better by still making the layout random but a lot more options to make your track perfect

Last edited:
Time to dredge up the old wishlist...

I find the most frustration I have is trying to get nice tight corners. When set to sharpness 5 the corners are still not tight. Corner sharpness is a scale of -5 to +5 but that goes from a slightly bent straight to a medium corner. Sharpness +5 should be really tight.

The way it is now you can't get a hairpin or a chicane. Which is why many of us have turned to Kart tracks to get the really technical stuff we crave. But Kart tracks are just a bit too narrow and suffer from the lack of a pit.

So instead of changing the course venues that we already have (I know this would be too much hassle...) how about a new type of track that's got the tight corners of a kart track but wider and with a pit? Maybe a city venue like Tokyo Kart... C'mon PD, hook us up. :)

If it's not too difficult, I think Polyphony should implement a "bumpiness" parameter for each of the track sections, so each course can have their unique bumpy sections and what not.

they need to make an amazingly stunning mountain road track that can go up to like 30 miles so that you never really master and learn each corner and always a surprise like real life

I would like a manual mode that lets you put down sections of track yourself to create a perfect track and a mode that lets you change the ground layout. (track exactly as you want it and you can create huge jumps and dips)💡

they need to make an amazingly stunning mountain road track that can go up to like 30 miles so that you never really master and learn each corner and always a surprise like real life

What about the pikes peak hill climb? They could add that in.

For me, if you don't like the terrain elevations (like in Mt. Aso) there should be a way to customize the elevations. I personally like the insane banking blind corners of Eifel and rolling hills of Mt. Aso, but I know others don't. I also wish there was an "add corner/straight" tool - you could add a basic custom corner - choose the radius, the width, bank, and even an increase/decrease rate of the corner's radius. Another major thing is the ability to choose if the track can have a reverse variant, or at least choose witch direction you go around the course. A fix PD definitely needs to add is the fact that is you change the section complexity or corner sharpness, the entire track changes. The last thing that I want: I would like to be able to "Click and Drag" the section points to choose where the track goes. Also adding a length minimum/maximum if you are trying to create a specific track length - the largest I can get is almost 6 miles. (this could be done by zooming in or out of the track map) Mixing these things together, you could make a track like Pikes Peak with all of the switchbacks and such.

Make a Hillclimb (tarmac) track location for course maker.

Visual: Hill ones side and barriers on the other with trees and shrub beyond the fence falling down a cliff. A bridge somewhere and a only the odd few track marshals and a small crowd every 300 or so meters.

Characteristics: Windy, narrow, point to point, a lot of hairpins and constantly rising, jumps even, odd cambers, and not much fast sections.

That would make a lot of people happy I think

Any issue with pre 1.10 patch custom tracks? One of mine had some loading times problems and in another one with 16 cars frame rate suffer a bit at the start of the race.
(I posted here because there isn't a "general" custom tracks thread).

Back