Tracks.

• Thread starter SMfan
  • 11 comments

SMfan

Premium
Russian Federation
Moscow, Russia
How many tracks are actually in the game? I mean completely unique tracks but not the variations of the same one. And are there enough tracks (special stages) to keep us interested for some (i meant A LONG) time?

There are 32 rally stages. There are 6 Head-to-Head (super special) stages. There are several Rallycross (at least eight) and Landrush (not sure how many) circuits as well. There are also three Gymkhana arenas, many of which have multiple expansions. There are also plans for DLC that are believed to include additional stages in Monaco and possibly some in Shibuya.

The length of these stages has been a point of contention among some fans. The shortest stages, which you encounter first in the game, are only about a mile long and last all of ninety seconds. The longest stage is said to be about four minutes. This is largely because of the limitations of the EGO Engine and disc space (hence the planned DLC). However, later events in the Dirt Tour mode are apparently quite long.

There are 32 rally stages. There are 6 Head-to-Head (super special) stages. There are several Rallycross (at least eight) and Landrush (not sure how many) circuits as well. There are also three Gymkhana arenas, many of which have multiple expansions. There are also plans for DLC that are believed to include additional stages in Monaco and possibly some in Shibuya.

The length of these stages has been a point of contention among some fans. The shortest stages, which you encounter first in the game, are only about a mile long and last all of ninety seconds. The longest stage is said to be about four minutes. This is largely because of the limitations of the EGO Engine and disc space (hence the planned DLC). However, later events in the Dirt Tour mode are apparently quite long.

Good news! I'm definitely gonna buy this game.

I'm just glad to see they listened to the fans and made the game more about traditional rally racing. The stages look great and the variations of weather and day/night will make it a joy to replay them over and over.

The first year career does repeat stages in different challenges. Sometimes they are reversed or part of rallies are repeated. Im hoping to get more variety in season 2.

You do however get a good mix of different challenges, so for some constant rally stages would get boring.

You mean on 360 :P I don't see this being an issue considering the large amount Dirt 1 had.
DIRT 3 uses a completely different graphics engine to DIRT 1. Not to mention weather effects ported over from F1 2010.

No.

I don't understand what the buzz about Pike's Peak is. Sure, it's a famous stage, but it's a hillclimb. With DIRT 3's focus being on rallying, I'd much rather they gave us something like the Col de Turini or Ocana-Radicale than Pike's Peak.

No, they haven't given us either of them. The leaked list of achivements suggests that Rallye Monte Carlo will be made available as DLC at a future date, in which case the Col de Turini could reasonably be included in it. However, it would likely be a shortened stage; the full Turini, from Sospel to La Bollene, is over thirty kilometres long. This is a video from the 2002 Rallye Monte Carlo showing Petter Solberg on the stage:

As you can see, it's suitably awesome. Especially in the dark, when it's known as the "Night of the Long Knives" because of the streaks the headlights leave in the car's wake.

Ocana-Radicale is even worse; it han't been used since the Group B era, and was suitably impossible at over eighty kilometres long in its fullest incarnation in the heyday of secret route rallies. It probably went something like this. It's the stage where Tommi Makinen had that infamous accident in 2001:

Because of what I am led to believe are the constraints of the EGO Engine, Codemasters cannot make incredibly long stages. The 30km Col de Turini and the 80km Ocana-Radicale are therefore out (though shortened versions would be possible - the Turini is more likely because Monte Carlo is known to be a part of DLC in the future); indeed, the longest stage in RICHARD BURNS RALLY - Noiker - is only about 12km long. And since neither the Col de Turini or Ocana-Radicale is a part of the World Rally Championship, Black Bean does not have the licence to either of them. So Codemasters could easily include something like them.

I bought the game just by having Pikes Peak. While recognizing that it is a pleasure to ride in the others (not so much in Rallycross), I have no interest in decorating all the circuits and so this was my first rally game. Totally disappointed with the unusual frequency that Pikes appears online, namely to make the 5 upgrade to the Peugeot 208, this because in race mode, there are no races for the 208, only for the 205, 405 and Audi Quattro. At the average of one per month, I need another 3, 4 tests to have the 208 with the 875HP / kg. However I think I already know the circuit well, by the time I find it in another game (wish on Gran Turismo) it will triple the pleasure of playing on that track.

Back