Traps for most cars in 1/4

Noticed in Shells pic that his car is about 1/2 car length past the leading edge of the shadow, with the front bumper on the edge of te shadow it might actually be 170...them numbers climb pretty quick. If this is the case it seems legit to me.

If your HDD dies I'll send you the one that came with my PS3.

As for the "discussion" at hand: If the Black Edition traps 169, and the Spec V beats the Black Edition, why is it so hard to believe it's possible for it to trap 170? I know it's possible to trap 164+ on the R34, but it doesn't mean that it is faster than a 162 or 163 tune. I feel like you guys are doing this just to single out Shells.

You might call it singling someone out, but that is only the case if multiple people make the same claim and I target one person specifically. Here we have one person making the claim. How is that singling someone one out ?

I take it your Spec V doesn't do 170/171 Master_Shake ?

Don't misunderstand me, I will be happy to be proven wrong but its going to take more than a screenshot to convince me.

You might call it singling someone out, but that is only the case if multiple people make the same claim and I target one person specifically. Here we have one person making the claim. How is that singling someone one out ?

I take it your Spec V doesn't do 170/171 Master_Shake ?

Don't misunderstand me, I will be happy to be proven wrong but its going to take more than a screenshot to convince me.
I don't have a Spec V, just a Black Edition, otherwise I would've tried tuning mine to match his. I can understand your skepticism on something running faster than you think it can, but I've seen cars do strange things on this game since I started tuning. 4WD cars that wheelie, RWD cars that bunny hop the back wheels, cars that wheelie so hard they flip over and respawn you on the track. Each update changes certain things so, even if trap number is higher on his car than yours, it doesn't mean his is really faster - just that he has different ratios. I'll buy the car tonight and set a tune on it to see for myself, against my hatred of GTRs.

I don't have a Spec V, just a Black Edition, otherwise I would've tried tuning mine to match his. I can understand your skepticism on something running faster than you think it can, but I've seen cars do strange things on this game since I started tuning. 4WD cars that wheelie, RWD cars that bunny hop the back wheels, cars that wheelie so hard they flip over and respawn you on the track. Each update changes certain things so, even if trap number is higher on his car than yours, it doesn't mean his is really faster - just that he has different ratios. I'll buy the car tonight and set a tune on it to see for myself, against my hatred of GTRs.

Thanks Master_Shake, I do understand a higher trap doesn't mean a faster car. This is very much shown in FF's and muscle cars where depending on how much weight has been added - two cars can cross the line at the same time but with differing speeds.
I appreciate you taking the time to help get to the bottom of this. A lot of us were testing the SpecV last night and still could not achieve the speeds mentioned.

So is anyone hitting 170/171 mph? I personally couldn't be bothered spending too much time tuning a skyline as we rarely use skylines in Australian lobbys, but surely there's a few people testing there's since this thread took off? Nobody else has come forward claiming 170/171 yet.
I'm looking forward to hearing any results

So I tuned it earlier tonight, and could only manage a 169. I hit 170 right after the shadow, but not under it. If I can find a better way to set up the ratios its plausible, just haven't figured it out yet. Has anyone compared 1st gear rideout to quickshift? I would imagine a slightly less grippy launch would yield a higher top speed from more time spent accelerating.

Dodge acr 170-174

Dodge gts 02 168-172

Dodge viper 03 173-175

Dodge gts 13 168-172

Chevrolet z06 167-171

Chevolet zr1 170-173

Ferrari enzo 172-174
599 155-159

Nissan
Gtr 09 165-168
Gtr 12 165-168
2seater 156-160

Toyota

Supra 156-164

Mazda
Rx7 150-155
Zr1 traps 172 now, what's the trap for a vr4, just started tuning and I got 123, I need more or less?

Decided to look more into Shells picture posted and I believe this confusion has all come about from where people are measuring speeds from. Numbers do climb pretty quick at the top like mikey mentioned.
DSC02439_zpsabdec6a1.jpg

Decided to look more into Shells picture posted and I believe this confusion has all come about from where people are measuring speeds from. Numbers do climb pretty quick at the top like mikey mentioned. View attachment 170544
Considering you start infront of the yellow line instead of behind it, you actually need the nose on the back of the shadow to get the true speed. Each car would be 2 MPH slower than it is if measured like that. Even though competitions are compared right at the beginning of the shadow, trap speed "at the shadow" would refer to the car being under it.

Considering you start infront of the yellow line instead of behind it, you actually need the nose on the back of the shadow to get the true speed. Each car would be 2 MPH slower than it is if measured like that. Even though competitions are compared right at the beginning of the shadow, trap speed "at the shadow" would refer to the car being under it.

That doesn't make sense. Why have two points of reference depending on being competition or not ?

Anyway, mystery solved. We are measuring at different spots.

That doesn't make sense. Why have two points of reference depending on being competition or not ?

Anyway, mystery solved. We are measuring at different spots.
It makes complete sense. Under the shadow would be a lot harder for judges to see who was ahead, but right at the beginning you can visually measure distance from shadow to nose on both cars. However, during regular races, most people wont even brake until completely out from under the shadow. The measurement on Indy is from the yellow hashed lines to the first line of shadow, but we start ahead of them because we spin if we're on yellow. In order to complete the race, we have to be a car length after the "should be here" line on your picture. It's confusing to explain what happens in milliseconds online, but you'll realize what I'm trying to explain when you race someone.

It makes complete sense. Under the shadow would be a lot harder for judges to see who was ahead, but right at the beginning you can visually measure distance from shadow to nose on both cars. However, during regular races, most people wont even brake until completely out from under the shadow. The measurement on Indy is from the yellow hashed lines to the first line of shadow, but we start ahead of them because we spin if we're on yellow. In order to complete the race, we have to be a car length after the "should be here" line on your picture. It's confusing to explain what happens in milliseconds online, but you'll realize what I'm trying to explain when you race someone.

So even shells is measuring it wrong as he is a half car length behind ?

No one is going to contest my Renault Gordini trap?
I haven't tuned that car yet sorry.

I figured you wouldn't quite get it, so I made this in paint because I'm entirely too bored. The scale isn't accurate.

Of course I am not going to get it when you describe it wrong am I ? You said a "car length after the should be here line".

Can you also add the start and finish for a competition just to show how ridiculous this is

Alright, on a full 400m yes the Spec V traps around 170+ But, this is on indy. It's a indy tune, wont work well on full 400m. Now, from what I been noticing when coming to drags on indy, we judge the winning of who gets to first shadow line. *Of that second shadow)

A competition basically subtracts the cars' length from track length, since you start infront of yellow instead of behind it. Or to simplify it, the width of the shadow on the track. Maybe I'm overthinking this all, but everyone that I know or run compares trap speed when car is under the shadow. You can see when people hit their brakes, obviously.

I haven't tuned that car yet sorry.

I was being facetious.

This thread is practically pointless because different tunes run different traps and frankly if you are unsure if your tune is trapping high enough you're probably not a good tuner.
And you are all good tuners, so it seems the ONLY thing this thread could accomplish is start an argument like the one above.

At the track(real life environment) trap mph varies even in heads up even tree categories, the set of wheels that cross the beams first without a breakout as in bracket racing, wins. The amount of tirespin this game allows is to ridiculous to hash on mph. In real life "ff" cars trap big mph but suck on the sixty foot. Too many variables again. We do the best we can...we use first across the line and not numbers to base the victory. Just my 2¢ on the matter....thanks

A competition basically subtracts the cars' length from track length, since you start infront of yellow instead of behind it. Or to simplify it, the width of the shadow on the track. Maybe I'm overthinking this all, but everyone that I know or run compares trap speed when car is under the shadow. You can see when people hit their brakes, obviously.

In Aussie lobbys we trap our speeds judging by first line shadow

I was being facetious.

This thread is practically pointless because different tunes run different traps and frankly if you are unsure if your tune is trapping high enough you're probably not a good tuner.
And you are all good tuners, so it seems the ONLY thing this thread could accomplish is start an argument like the one above.

I'd like to think this thread has created clarity as to the differences in where people measure their speeds at.

I'd like to think this thread has created clarity as to the differences in where people measure their speeds at.

Maybe so but it would make sense seeing as though there are so many people, figures some do it different.

But that doesn't mean much. To me, I couldn't give less of a crap what someone's car traps. Tbh, I've noticed nearly ALL my cars trap lower than what's considered normal. I don't tune them that way, it just happens. And I'm not getting pulled all that much.

It's just another area for arguing.

Decided to look more into Shells picture posted and I believe this confusion has all come about from where people are measuring speeds from. Numbers do climb pretty quick at the top like mikey mentioned. View attachment 170544

In all fairness I did hit 171 with my car a bit past the shadow it still hit 170 right when my bumper touched that shadow, it's hard to get the picture right when I hit the shadow because I have like a millisecond to pause the video. Like Shake said just because cars trap higher doesn't mean they are faster. As for the not taking a video issue the reason I can't is simple, I don't have a video camera the only camera I have is a Sony Cybershot and that only takes still images, I have no phone either so this is the best I can do, accept it or don't but I know what my car traps.

If you guys think trap should be taken at the first line of the shadow, then I will honestly admit all of my cars trap 1-2MPH lower than everyone else reports. That being said, they still run just as fast. I'll have to start tuning my cars to top out when the front bumper hits the shadow.

If you guys think trap should be taken at the first line of the shadow, then I will honestly admit all of my cars trap 1-2MPH lower than everyone else reports. That being said, they still run just as fast. I'll have to start tuning my cars to top out when the front bumper hits the shadow.

I always understood the front edge of the shadow is the finish line in a competition so that's where I gauge my traps at....when the bumper touches the shadow.

Trap speeds are basically just an indication of top end pull when comparing 2 of the same cars and doesn't always mean the one who traps higher will get there first.

I always understood the front edge of the shadow is the finish line in a competition so that's where I gauge my traps at....when the bumper touches the shadow.

Trap speeds are basically just an indication of top end pull when comparing 2 of the same cars and doesn't always mean the one who traps higher will get there first.

I don't even think it does. I've had top end pull against the same speed and I trap lower. My GTS R concept for example traps a measly 169, when others trap 174. I still pull. I don't think trap speed matters any more than paint color

Back