Triggers or X/Square? Which is better?

Using right to accelerate/ brake is objectively stupid, you are never going to be competitive when you can't brake and accelerate at the same time.

Oh
Screenshot_20180408-112458~2.png

Using right to accelerate/ brake is objectively stupid, you are never going to be competitive when you can't brake and accelerate at the same time. You are basically limiting yourself to accelerating / breaking with a HUGE delay relative to X/Square or the triggers or any other two button combo.

I'm assuming you meant to say "right stick?" If so, I do see what you're saying, it does take fractions of a second longer using anything but X/Square, but your claim about not being competitive is quite debatable. How is this any different from people who use pedals for accelerating and braking? I have to remove my foot from the gas pedal and move it over to the left to use the brake. This takes just as long if not longer than operating a joystick, moving it front to back. And certainly you aren't implying that wheel/pedal users are inherently slower because of this? Am I misunderstanding you? Please explain.

Triggers - Accel - Brake
X - Shift up
Square - Shift down
Circle - E-Brake
Triangle - Reverse
L3 - Flash
R3 - High/Low beam

To answer the people above, using the Right Stick as accel and brake means you can't overlap, you can't "left foot brake". Overlapping or even dragging the brake slightly generally settles the car on corner entry, if you have a setup that allows a little bit of slide from the rear on the brakes (hard on brakes => overlap=> throttle).

People using the right stick to do one or the other without overlap are handicapping themselves a bit imo, but depending on driving styles, etc, it may or may not be an issue.

Last edited:
I'm assuming you meant to say "right stick?" If so, I do see what you're saying, it does take fractions of a second longer using anything but X/Square, but your claim about not being competitive is quite debatable. How is this any different from people who use pedals for accelerating and braking? I have to remove my foot from the gas pedal and move it over to the left to use the brake. This takes just as long if not longer than operating a joystick, moving it front to back. And certainly you aren't implying that wheel/pedal users are inherently slower because of this? Am I misunderstanding you? Please explain.
Usually wheel users use the left foot for braking ;)

And tbh I even use my left foot for braking automatic cars irl :lol:

Triggers - Accel - Brake
X - Shift up
Square - Shift down
Circle - E-Brake
Triangle - Reverse
L3 - Flash
R3 - High/Low beam

Same for me...

I wouldn't have made the switch to triggers had the face buttons been analogue, but I'm really glad now as I'd always struggled with using MT's in the game.

Still miss my wheel though.

Usually wheel users use the left foot for braking ;)

And tbh I even use my left foot for braking automatic cars irl :lol:

I knew that some did but I guess I didn't know that most probably do. For me, I would have to switch the brake and clutch pedal positions because of my wheel stand, it has a center bar that would get in the way and also the clutch pedal itself would block my access to the center brake pedal, at least partially. I don't use the clutch anyway so it wouldn't be a big deal to switch them, I guess I just like racing the same way that I drive irl. Thanks for correcting me.

Triggers are the way to go. It’s easier and quicker to transition from braking to throttle or use both at the same time.

If only the triggers rumbled on th ds4 like they do on the xbox one controller.

For me it's:

Gas pedal: R2
Brake: L2
Shift up: X
Shift down: □
Handbrake: O
Switch camera: Triangle
Look back: down on right analog stick
Left blinker: L1
Right blinker: R1
Emergency blinkers: Left touch pad
Reverse: Shift down when stopped
Flash headlights: L3
Toggle low/high lights: R3

By not using L2/R2 you either loses throtle/braking precision or overlap between both(trail braking), unless you use pedals.
So I'd say for those who races using the DS4, you're better served using the triggers...Unless you don't bother using TCS or tapping the X or □ all the time.

Or maybe because only like 3% of games actually used it . The same excuse YOU would probably use to get rid of the light bar and trackpad.

And yet they made hundreds of millions of pressure sensitive buttoned Dual Shock controllers for 13+ years all for those 3% of games :rolleyes:

Yeah, its nothing to do with how much it was used otherwise they would have canned it way back, is about financial sense in a post recession world. Wasn't a problem in the good times when production was cheap and PS2's flew off the shelves. The PS4 by comparison was a budget system.

Jury is still out on whether the trackpad and lightbar are redundant as you've insinuated. The generation isn't over!

Back