Truck vs. retractable bollard

  • Thread starter Thread starter Duke
  • 7 comments
  • 746 views
POLE MEANS STOP ************ !....

That's pretty amazing - I bet they'll sell by .. errhhmmm .. truckloads in this day and age...
 
There's a few of those near where I work. They're fantastic. I've actually seen someone get too close and set them off once. :)
 
I don't question the value of a good, heavy duty bollard, but I have a few issues with the video.

  • Having a cable pull the truck is a good idea, but it also pulls the cab off after impact. If they would have measured the cable out, I doubt it would have ripped the truck in half.
  • Dirt in the box does adds more visual impact and blows the front off of the box, but is otherwise pointless. Also having it in the back of the box gives it more momentum to do so.
  • You then can't help but wonder how much steel they cut to make the truck buckle that bad.

I do, however, like how the bollard slowly goes back into the ground afterwards. "You didn't see anything." :lol:

Cleanup in isles 3,4,5 and 7!
 
TB
I don't question the value of a good, heavy duty bollard, but I have a few issues with the video.

  • Having a cable pull the truck is a good idea, but it also pulls the cab off after impact. If they would have measured the cable out, I doubt it would have ripped the truck in half.

It's a standard MIRA procedure so that they can move the vehicle at a precise speed with little cost. The anchor point for the cable will have been no more than a foot past the point of impact, so when the cab came off, the cable will have been slack.
 
There are two of those at East Ham high street.
 
Famine
It's a standard MIRA procedure so that they can move the vehicle at a precise speed with little cost. The anchor point for the cable will have been no more than a foot past the point of impact, so when the cab came off, the cable will have been slack.

If not, there would be a section of the cable designed to break when the tension comes on so that the vehicle towing doesn't get involved.

I saw it on MythBusters :sly:
 
Back