trusting Ebay?

  • Thread starter Thread starter sicbeing
  • 14 comments
  • 654 views
Messages
1,103
Messages
Cribanox
is Ebay trustworthy? I was thinking of using a couple grand maybe to start working on an old FR Japanese model car, and there seems to be a lot of them online. Anyone think I should just check the newspaper or local magazines instead?
 
I know a few folks who have bought cars from Ebay, and they seemed to be pretty happy with them. Check to see if the car can be Ebay certified, or check out the dealer that is selling the cars there.

...But chances are, it would be cheaper to just stay local. There were a few cars I almost bought off of Ebay a few years back which included a '93 Jeep Wrangler and a late-model Nissan 200SX, but my parents didn't want to pay $200 to fly me to Boston or North Carolina to pick the cars up and drive them home.
 
I think he was talkin about model cars. My mom used to do stuff with ebay and Inever heard her complain but I never saw what she bought.
 
I've bought one car off of ebay and it was a very pleasant experience. I'd recommend it if you have means to pickup the car...having it shipped will run you way too much money.
 
No, I'm sorry, I meant real cars, not models, bad choice of words.
 
I would check the feedback, make sure that's good. Also, make sure the feedback is when the seller was selling something, instead of buying. Also, for something as big as a car, I would contact the seller by phone to discuss in detail anything. Maybe for him to provide better pictures or so. I would go for it if I was you, but be careful.
 
I would trust eBay. Don't they have the Bidder Protection Plan (or whatever it was called) that will refund your money if it was a scam?

I bough an iPod off eBay and I'm happy with it. Just as PB said check the feedback, it tells you a lot about the seller's history.
 
GT4_Rule
Don't they have the Bidder Protection Plan (or whatever it was called) that will refund your money if it was a scam?
My dad got scammed on a video camera worth 2000 dollars. That was like 3 years ago, and he still hasn't recieved his money back.
 
I got scammed on about 500 I-Pods I wanted (It taken so long to get an I-Pod I just waited for the I-Pod Video to come out)
 
I'm about to sell my Lexus on eBay, actually.

Only buy from someone with almost perfect feedback, and stay in contact with the seller. Don't get into an all out bidding war with someone over a car that makes the price ridiculous, though.

I hope you find something you like.:)
 
PERFECT BALANCE
My dad got scammed on a video camera worth 2000 dollars. That was like 3 years ago, and he still hasn't recieved his money back.

They only put that policy into effect like, last year after consistent scams and complaints.

I went into a bidding war over my iPod - and ended up paying $50 more than I wanted to. :indiff:
 
JCE3000GT
I've bought one car off of ebay and it was a very pleasant experience. I'd recommend it if you have means to pickup the car...having it shipped will run you way too much money.

I have to ask, because I'm quite intrigued:

a) what car did you purchase?
b) was it local or were you unable to drive it before purchase?
c) what made you buy off ebay rather than local AutoTrader or the newspaper?
d) weren't you afraid it would have problems (if you were unable to view it)?

I'm buying a used car in thirteen months and am already set on the exact vehicle I want, however it's slightly uncommon and ebay seems to have the best selection, and at decent prices. I'm just deathly afraid I'll get it, have it delivered, and it'll have some huge engine fault requiring several thousand dollars to correct. Ebay's protection service wouldn't cover that. So I'd love to hear what you have to say about your car.
 
M5Power
I have to ask, because I'm quite intrigued:

a) what car did you purchase?
b) was it local or were you unable to drive it before purchase?
c) what made you buy off ebay rather than local AutoTrader or the newspaper?
d) weren't you afraid it would have problems (if you were unable to view it)?

I'm buying a used car in thirteen months and am already set on the exact vehicle I want, however it's slightly uncommon and ebay seems to have the best selection, and at decent prices. I'm just deathly afraid I'll get it, have it delivered, and it'll have some huge engine fault requiring several thousand dollars to correct. Ebay's protection service wouldn't cover that. So I'd love to hear what you have to say about your car.


Don't be until you drive it. Also drive everything in your price range. I just bought a car last week and honestly when I made out my list of cars I was interested in it was second to last on the list. I then drove 15 cars in 2 months, did some haggling and so on and ended up with the car I have now. Don't set your mind on what you want but keep it really open. There are so many great cars out there to just close your mind up.

As for ebay, I have purchased a lot of thing off ebay. I have sold a lot of things too. I have only had one bad experience and that was because the guy didn't pay. I have never bought a car from ebay though. I would be really skeptical because the test drive and seeing the car in person is the most important two things in buying a car. There could be rust spots, leaks, and worn componets (clutch, etc etc) that the buyer may not discribe or even know about himself. I would try to find one local before I turned to ebay.
 
IMADreamer
Don't be until you drive it.

I'm set, thanks. :)

I would be really skeptical because the test drive and seeing the car in person is the most important two things in buying a car. There could be rust spots, leaks, and worn componets (clutch, etc etc) that the buyer may not discribe or even know about himself. I would try to find one local before I turned to ebay.

I agree completely. But it's interesting - I've only ever met one person who had a bad experience buying a used car on eBay, and that car was local! Every single other person I've heard who bought on eBay has not regretted it, and now I'm considering doing it myself, which is why I'm interested in JCE's reply.
 
Back