Tupac's new album *now with actual content!*

• Thread starter tupacrulez
  • 125 comments
Hehe, didn't want to bump a thread from months and months ago, so I decided to go ahead and start fresh.

Without further small talk, my first most awesome-est shot to be edited in PS: (sorry, not fancy panel or anything. I know, I iz n00b.

Firstdecent20.jpg

the PMC shot which inspired this:
PMC162.jpg

The original
gt4170.jpg

Hope you guys enjoy and please, criticism rocks. Even if you loathe and despise it, say it!

I wanna thank bram for his absolutely AWESOME guide for this!

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3279307&postcount=937

I personally think that some of the body lines are a bit thick, and I also see that I forgot the clean up the left front fender. Another time perhaps.

Last edited:
Not sure if it was intentional, but the thread title made me laugh :dopey: no offense...

Like I said in the PMC thread, I really dig the composition and reflections (I swear, RUF's have the strongest reflections...) and the wheel choice is great too. Blurring the cardboard trees was a good idea :lol: My criticisms would be that the contrast and red tint are a bit overdone for my tastes. Also the body lines, like you mentioned, are a bit thick. And while you seem to have done some edge cleaning, remember that upping the contrast generally increases the amount of jaggies you get, for example the front wheel in the original is smoother in the original than in the edited version.

But good start nonetheless. 👍

i say the same. i would suggest doing a black and white conversion and then doing the same tint, but to a lower percentage.

C_F: yes, i did notice the title, after i write it. i left it for the lulz.

thanks for the comments guys. A black and white conversion? never even heard of that, not gonna lie.

I actually only chose "more red" and "lighter" for my tint within the variations tab.didn't touch much in the way of saturation. Still, I was going for a really warm look to bring out the reflections. I probably should have done this AFTER cleaning up the car though. I jumped around alot in what i did.

and the front wheel used to be really slick, but I totally peckered it when i added a lens flare in vanity. I wanted this to be a 2.0 style of shot originally, so i went back (stupid me saved it with the flare) and cloned over the flare effect (it was only set to a 30 or so, just wanted to accentuate the wheels a bit). tried to reconstruct the wheel with some dodge/burning, but it didn't go as well as I'd hoped. Now that i look back, i probably should have gone and copied it from my PMC entry, and pasted the wheel right on, then matched the levels/ colour values afterward.

You guys have no idea how much time I spent on the headlamps. probably a solid half hour of dodging and burning them, 1 pixel in width at a time.

The reflection on the car I just went over with a blur/smudge tool set at 20 a piece and went wild. I'm sure there is a way to get them to be better, but I don't know it yet.

it's 1am. I started this at roughly 10pm. finished roughly a half hour ago. thanks again for the critiques, I'll certainly remember what you guys have said for the next one, particularly the GT4 pic+contrast=jaggies bit. and I wanna know more about this black and white conversion thingymajigger.

TL;DR:
thanks for the comments, random rambling about edited process that no one needs to hear, time slipped in for no reason, thanks again for the opinions.

Great first photos on your new GALLERY. Mind you, maybe it's probably just the fact that IMO the BTR is one of the best cars to take photos with.

Nice job, tupacrulez 👍 Let's hope you'll upload a lot more pictures as soon as possible :dopey:

Best wishes,

S-Line Audi Fan :cheers:

P.S.: Those rims look awesome on that BTR ;)

I like the semi-redish tone, in the first picture. You shouldn’t, though, blur everything. The ground (near the car) should stay sharp IMO. The rest is good indeed, and keep it up 👍

thanks LdS. I don't know why I got blur happy, actually. I think I remembered a shot of a white civic you did a while back for an open comp that was kinda like this.

Shots are gonna be slow S-line. i haven't much spare time on my hands, and few shots that lend themselves to editing like that one did.

Very nice start man! 👍 That RUF look great. Out of the three, I'd go with the second, it seems more 'alive' if you get me. Looking at them again, the first one looks a lot smoother (particularly on the bonnet). Did you use high EV values? because there are obvious tide marks (on the bonnet) of the second and third shot (a symptom of excessive EV). The reflections of the trees also look much better on the second shot.

Great start, I hope to see more from you. Keep 'em coming! 👍

time fer a new one.
entered this in the H2H comp.
H2Hfinal.jpg

Didn't really know what to do with the hood and windshield, so i made it a more blue colour, and then smoothed it up as much as possible.

I don't know I missed this thread man. The first one you did was solid. Body lines are bit thick, but blah blah. It was an impressive shot. This one however, for me at least, looks like the car has been pasted in because of the blur. I think the ground around the car should be left unblurred to make it look a bit more realistic. But that's just my opinion. As for the hood and windshield, I am in the same bout as you. We had better start bailing, cuz I don't know what you could so with it either,(except for that you did). Always use stuff like that to your advantage man.
That is one sexy car. 👍

I blurred to ground less than the background this time, mainly because I found the original road texture really ugly. the snow was outlined by a layer of what appeared to be ice, and it was just plain nasty. it's still not the greatest, but i didn't have time to do it all the way i wanted to.

Actually, what i wanted to do, was get the hood completely blank, and take one of them thar trees in the back, chop it out, and with a little deformation, reflect it off the car's windshield and hood. unfortunately, that is way over my head.

I still think PS is too complex. the CAD and Revit programs I use at school can make entire houses and landscapes from scratch, and they are less complex to use than PS. maybe I'm just stupid, but I don't think PS is very beginner friendly.

It was one of the hardest programs for me to learn as well. Photoshop is still a little rough for me sometimes. But what you wanted to do is pretty hard to do imo with the orientation of the hood. But still, I dig it man.

basically, I would have had to colour sample the side bodywork on the unedited version, fill the hood, adjust the levels correctly, and then gradient the hood at a downward angle somewhat (My theory on how i coulda done it). then, it should have been a cut and paste job with some cleaning afterwards. ah well, always in retrospect. besides, i don't have the time for hat (as short as it may be to some of the people here, that'd be INTENSE for me)

unfortunately, PS has a really linear free transform, compared to, for example, AutoCAD. in CAD, you can transfrom any line by at least 3 points, the midpoint, and both ends. if either end or the midpoint is connected to another line, it'll drag that line around too. essentially, you can warp anything to just about any dimension as long as it's using straight lines or arcs. (and I'm not even that far into things).

in PS, you have a box drawn around the object you wish to transform, and then a select few options available. so unless I'm missing something, PS is terribly archaic in that aspect.

Nice new update you've there, tupacrulez 👍 It's so smooth and the colours are well balanced.. I like the hood, it's a bit blue and that really fits to the car.. Rims are as always excellent and the background is not that blurred, but that's how I like it to be 👍 Well done mate!

Absolutely love the RUF at the snowy PT location (Togakashi Kogen? Can never remember its name depsite it being possibly my favourite location!), it looks very realistic - especially the reflections. Gaussian blurring the backdrop always looks good too, esp at the autumn location.

I'm a PS virgin - I edit mine in PSP so am unable to offer constructive criticism, sorry man. Feel free to drop by my gallery sometime :P

will do. I too am no PS master. I just played around after reading a few tutorials. thought some of it came out well. others never got passed the "delete" option.

thanks sweetshop. I read some of Magburners stuff and Brams stuff on composition, and am putting more thought into things. instead of 20 shot photo ops, I've got less than 5, but those 5 are all much better shots now.

I see some great progression you've been through during the last few updates and that's good :) The shots got better now and they're in a better quality then before.. Also, you've chosen other angles for taking the shots and that's even better 👍 Keep up the good work :cheers:

Your PMC shots are very good quality, you seem to do better when concentrating on the photography side as opposed to the editing side. 👍

i always have. it's why I refrained from entering the 2.0 for a LONG time. I just need a really good image right out of the box.

will be sticking with the "basics" for a while now.

another update. light editing on the last GTO shot, just a blur tool ran across the nasty bits of the car to smooth things out. everything else was a simple cut job+levels, saturation, and some very light B/C.

the others are PMC styled. the shots came out so much more rich in colour on my TV....i was so disappointed.

-----------------------

Last edited:
Nice pics mate, particularly the last one with the B&W background. A quick browse of your album shows a collection of nice shots all round, keep up the good work 👍

Nice update, tupaculez.. I especially like the last shot, because you made the background black and white, whereas you left the car in its colour 👍

Try and have a go at epic, story like duels, like two cars right level with each other, and the image in complete black and white to make it seem like a hugely epic duel. I did similar on one of the demo replays (the George V Paris one).

Back