Tyre choice issues

• Thread starter smilerftm
  • 66 comments
England
Hartlepool
SmilerFTM
When starting a race you can select an exact tyre type for example the McLaren F1 has the McLaren F1 tyre and the Denlop jobbie. When racing though in the pitstop you have a choice of soft, medium, hard, intermediate and wet and no matter which one I choose it doesn't act or react the same as the tyre I chose before the race started.
Has anyone else had this issue with certain cars? It was doing my head in trying to do the 3 hour race at Zolder and get the right tyres and right pressures on it.

When starting a race you can select an exact tyre type for example the McLaren F1 has the McLaren F1 tyre and the Denlop jobbie. When racing though in the pitstop you have a choice of soft, medium, hard, intermediate and wet and no matter which one I choose it doesn't act or react the same as the tyre I chose before the race started.
Has anyone else had this issue with certain cars? It was doing my head in trying to do the 3 hour race at Zolder and get the right tyres and right pressures on it.

Yes I have these issues and started a whole thread on it https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/tyres-pitsops-and-psychic-abilty.331392/

I also have issues with all the made up tyre names and types. I do not think SMS could have made it more complicated if they tried :-(

Patch 2.5:

"* Reworked some tyre compound names as displayed in the setup screen to ensure that all compounds are named to be indicative of the type of compound it represents in the pit strategy screen.

* Restrict the selectable pit strategy tyre compound types to only those available for the current vehicle."

It's not perfect, but it's way better. It will be in the next patch (3.0) on console.

Edit: After patch 2.5, before starting a race, you have as a choice "McLaren F1" or "Denloc D40 Street-Hard". In the pitstop, you have "soft" or "hard". As I said, it's not perfect, but it's way better.

Last edited:
Patch 2.5:

"* Reworked some tyre compound names as displayed in the setup screen to ensure that all compounds are named to be indicative of the type of compound it represents in the pit strategy screen.

* Restrict the selectable pit strategy tyre compound types to only those available for the current vehicle."

It's not perfect, but it's way better. It will be in the next patch (3.0) on console.

Edit: After patch 2.5, before starting a race, you have as a choice "McLaren F1" or "Denloc D40 Street-Hard". In the pitstop, you have "soft" or "hard". As I said, it's not perfect, but it's way better.

I chose soft in the 3hr race at Zolder and the tyres were overheating at vastly different tyre pressures than when I picked the McLaren F1 tyres at the start, while the medium tyres had way less grip

It's not perfect...............................

You are the king of understatement ;-) Why not advise SMS to buy a PS3 and have a look at GT6. That is not perfect either BUT is a lot easier to understand and tune for. Comfort (street), Sport (semi slick track) and Race (slick) tyres. It seems a very simple system and self explanatory, where as PCARS is mired with made up names and no explanation of what they are or how they are supposed to perform.

This game is badly broken in many instances and this just highlights one of them :-(

When you consider that tyres are one of the most critical elements of a race car, and that the tyre physics was one of the big selling points for the game it is amazing what a total mess tyre selection is in this game.

What's more, the selection available in the pit stop strategy screen was a design decision to make it not relate in anyway to the particular tyres available for the car

It would be easy to fix.

When selecting tyres, they should make use of all that wasted space to the left of the selectors to explain the tyre characteristics, compound & durability. Pit stop strategies should be saved per car, not globally & then they could allow you to choose only from the tyres available for that car.

Design oversight ? After how many years of testing on PC ....

No, not oversight but a deliberate design choice! I know it sounds mad. I have just tried to find the thread on pcars forum where this was the reply to the same issue, however I can't currently locate the post.

I'm pretty sure I'm not imagining it though (not a guarantee!)

No, not oversight but a deliberate design choice! I know it sounds mad.

Ah so SMS should really have a name change to Totally Mad Studios or even "We Are Completely Cuckoo Obviously". Then the acronym would have been WACCO!

BTW if patch 3.0 doesn't address the important issues that are still hanging around from release I will be done with this overhyped game! Remember they held back the release because it was only "99.9% ready".

I wouldn't say that it is a design choice, but a design limitation. If there would be an easy fix for all of this, they would do it.

The way it works since the patch 2.5 is good enough imo, since we can finally know which tire we will have when going in a pitstop.

@TT92 : It should be obvious to everybody by now that the "99% ready" thing was PR talk. Hence it didnt come from us members, in fact a lot of us WMD members cringed at those statements and gave you people here a fair warning that it isnt going to be perfect at launch. So its probably time to stop beating that dead horse and get over it.

Last edited:
2565863-3853767-4957010%2B_3d402eb6c781d9c88cd3419c33f6e390.png

@TT92 : It should be obvious to everybody by now that the "99% ready" thing was PR talk. Hence it didnt come from us members, in fact a lot of us WMD members cringed at those statements and gave you people here a fair warning that it isnt going to be perfect at launch. So its probably time to stop beating that dead horse and get over it.

So FLX do you want me get over SMS being confused by our numerical system of the fact that they can't get the game right and DID NOT test it properly, even before releasing patches?

PS4 still has most of the bugs it was released with (and more with DLC). It still crashes more than any other game (or any other piece of software for that matter) I have ever had, on any platform.

I would have thought that if SMS had any integrity what so ever they would at least test DLC content before selling it to us poor suckers! Do you have any concept of how ripped off a lot of people feel by paying full price for beta content?

I am just about done with this fiasco and have been telling everyone I know that was getting reading to spend the bucks to move to PS4 and PCARS to hold off. Of all the people I know (about 15) that have paid for this game I am the only one that still shows the slightest interest in it and believe me that is waning fast.

The way it works since the patch 2.5 is good enough imo, since we can finally know which tire we will have when going in a pitstop.

BUT you still DO NOT know what is actually fitted when you come out of the pit stop do you! So no, 2.5 is not good enough by a long shot.

BUT you still DO NOT know what is actually fitted when you come out of the pit stop do you! So no, 2.5 is not good enough by a long shot.

I'm not sure what you mean. If I choose "hard" in the pitstop with a McLaren F1, I'll have the Dunloc.

Is there a bug I'm not aware of?

Probably, there is so many to chose from ;-)

Seriously now. There is no way to know what tyre is actually fitted to your car. There needs to be some sort of indicator in the HUD that tells you what tyre you are currently using. GT6 does it without any fuss.

This would also be an advantage when select tyre by weather is chosen. At the moment the only way to know is if you are in an open wheeler and see if the tyre has a tread pattern or not. Also not so good if there are multiple wet and dry tyres though.

A dunloc street tire is hard when in pit ? So what about the other tire for McLaren F1, will it be soft ?

I think the tire name needs consistency and clearer system so players can know at all times what tire they have on their car when driving in/out of the pits ( at least be sure that they are getting the right tire that they wanted and perform as expected )

Should this be considered a bug like steering ratio change that needs session restart to take effect or are these just design limitation ?

This is not suppose to happen :

I chose soft in the 3hr race at Zolder and the tyres were overheating at vastly different tyre pressures than when I picked the McLaren F1 tyres at the start, while the medium tyres had way less grip

Can anyone explain this ? Does pit tires different than fitted tire from the setup page ?

So FLX do you want me get over SMS being confused by our numerical system of the fact that they can't get the game right and DID NOT test it properly, even before releasing patches?

PS4 still has most of the bugs it was released with (and more with DLC). It still crashes more than any other game (or any other piece of software for that matter) I have ever had, on any platform.

I would have thought that if SMS had any integrity what so ever they would at least test DLC content before selling it to us poor suckers! Do you have any concept of how ripped off a lot of people feel by paying full price for beta content?

I am just about done with this fiasco and have been telling everyone I know that was getting reading to spend the bucks to move to PS4 and PCARS to hold off. Of all the people I know (about 15) that have paid for this game I am the only one that still shows the slightest interest in it and believe me that is waning fast.

That is all legit and understandable, but if you read my post again, you might realize that I was only talking about the "99.9% ready" PR talk that you keep giving SMS 🤬 for. Like I said, they shouldnt have made those statements, but its not like only SMS does that kind of PR talk, unfortunately it is common practice nowadays. So I dont see the point in banging on about it.

That is all legit and understandable, but if you read my post again, you might realize that I was only talking about the "99.9% ready" PR talk that you keep giving SMS 🤬 for. Like I said, they shouldnt have made those statements, but its not like only SMS does that kind of PR talk, unfortunately it is common practice nowadays. So I dont see the point in banging on about it.

So I hit a nerve did I? Perhaps I can go on about Fanatec wheel support in the game then? And how they got that wrong too.

Any other statements I can't quote in future?

So I hit a nerve did I? Perhaps I can go on about Fanatec wheel support in the game then? And how they got that wrong too.

Any other statements I can't quote in future?
Whinge to your hearts content about the Fanatec wheel support...here not here.

You mean like, "it is cutting it really close as to whether or not [Course Maker] will make it in time for day one or not for GT6.", or, "at least one additional track per month will be downloadable.”?? I guess it is rather common:lol:

Whinge to your hearts content about the Fanatec wheel support...here not here.

I was not going to "bang on about" Fanatec wheel support here, I was trying to establish (with extreme sarcasm) what else I was not mention from the official SMS website that FLX1981 would get upset about.

It makes it hard to have a conversation when someone automatically rules out official statements as "advertising hype". It's like trying to pin a politician down on post election promises ;-) The statement gets made "why complain, you should have known they were lying at the time".

Caveat emptor... sigh..................

Just to get back on subject here about tyres I do have a legitimate question.

To preface, I do have a problem with the made up names and having no guide as to what they are.

So I take it Feretti is really Pirelli right? Because of some sort of licensing issues, correct?

Question: If so why then does SMS have the Pirelli logo on the Zonda R and Pirelli tyres available for that and the McLaren P1?

I was not going to "bang on about" Fanatec wheel support here, I was trying to establish (with extreme sarcasm) what else I was not mention from the official SMS website that FLX1981 would get upset about.

It makes it hard to have a conversation when someone automatically rules out official statements as "advertising hype". It's like trying to pin a politician down on post election promises ;-) The statement gets made "why complain, you should have known they were lying at the time".

Caveat emptor... sigh..................

Dude, please try to stay fair and not lay words in my mouth, mmh kay? You didnt hit any nerve and I dont automatically rule out anything as whatever. Its just that after you beat that "boo hoo, they said its 99.9% perfect" drum repeatedly, I thought I d let you know that this particular statement was nothing but PR talk and from my point of view, there is no point in keep banging on about it therefor. End of story.

Just to get back on subject here about tyres I do have a legitimate question.

To preface, I do have a problem with the made up names and having no guide as to what they are.

So I take it Feretti is really Pirelli right? Because of some sort of licensing issues, correct?

Question: If so why then does SMS have the Pirelli logo on the Zonda R and Pirelli tyres available for that and the McLaren P1?

Correct. They can't use real tire names on many cars due to licensing. You only need to worry about soft, hard, wet, track, summer, etc. Don't worry about the fictional brands themselves.

Correct. They can't use real tire names on many cars due to licensing. You only need to worry about soft, hard, wet, track, summer, etc. Don't worry about the fictional brands themselves.

If only it was that simple :-( On road cars SMS do not use these descriptions. e.g Extreme Summer, Track, UHP (IIRC) etc.

Back