UEFA Euro 2016 Finals

• Thread starter Famine
  • 1,384 comments
I'm still pretty speechless, Congrats to Portugal, but....I expected France to win, simply because I think they have been the best team at this tournament, and because they have had a shocking 18 months as a country, Portugal have a good team that are well organised and tough to break down, but I don't think they deserve this....

Its been such a weird tournament...

Well they did it the hard way by playing so many minutes in this tournament and getting involved in a few scrappy games but that was well deserved, to get to ET without Ronaldo was impressive. Eder caused France so many problems when he came on.

People are talking about Eder but I have to give the man of the match award to Guerreiro. What a player at the age of 22. Enjoyed watching him who had high attacking and defending work rates plus being well comfortable on the ball when getting pressured by Sissoko and Griezmann.

Schmelzer and Durm will be sitting nervous when they get into the new season.

How can you take a photo of the way you played in extra time?
I didn't play any extra time other that in Rocket League lately.
I never refer to France team as "us", i take football for what it is, a game.
I'm okay with Portugal victory (as i stated in an earlier post), as this country was lacking a title despite having reach high stages in tournaments.
Somehow, you're embarrassing yourself with such pointless messages.

I didn't play any extra time other that in Rocket League lately.
I never refer to France team as "us", i take football for what it is, a game.
I'm okay with Portugal victory (as i stated in an earlier post), as this country was lacking a title despite having reach high stages in tournaments.
Somehow, you're embarrassing yourself with such pointless messages.

Am I embarrassing myself? That's the type of answer you deserve after your highly stereotypical reply, 2 days ago.

Ugly finale, ugly tournament, ugly winner. Still proud of my French team but lack of creativity/technique without Benzema and Ben Arfa. 10 years ago, the French team was only about top players : Zidane, Henry, Thuram, Trezeguet, Vieira... Pfff Pogba has still showed nothing IMO A lot of wannabe

aEnYMdn_460s_v1.jpg

Portugal is the only undefeated team in the tournament and yet, people still think it didn't deserve to win...

To all the french press, with love.

To all Ronaldo haters what you witnessed today was the example of what a team leader is.

Last edited:
Dirty tactics by France, no sympathy from me. That said well done Portugal, even without Ronaldo they were able to shut down France in their own backyard. Love a good underdog story :D

Ugly finale, ugly tournament, ugly winner.
I'd agree. This whole tournament was a bit of a snooze, which is why I haven't bothered posting anything about any of it despite watching all but 2 games.

Still proud of my French team but lack of creativity/technique without Benzema and Ben Arfa.
Again, I'd agree. Not really sure how Ben Arfa has fallen so far, he was one of the best players in the Prem only a few years ago. Not sure how he's got on in France since returning there, but not well enough to get a look-in for the national side apparently.

I think that this is bright times for France despite that though. You have some fantastic CBs with Koscielny, Varane, and Umtiti that can sit in front of an outstanding keeper in Lloris. Add to that an excellent central midfield with Matuidi, Sissoko, Pogba, Kante, etc. and you've got the bones of an excellent team for a decade. You've got a shortage of great fullbacks (who doesn't) but other than that you're just left looking for attackers, a front on which there always seems to be a few stars-of-the-moment like Coeman and Martial to fill in around whoever else manages to get picked.

Related: How did Valbuena miss out here? Was he injured?

10 years ago, the French team was only about top players : Zidane, Henry, Thuram, Trezeguet, Vieira...
Ah, those were the days, weren't they?

Pfff Pogba has still showed nothing IMO A lot of wannabe
Hasn't shown much for the national team maybe. Shown enough for Juve to prompt rumors of a £100,000,000 transfer this summer... Which I agree is totally insane, but there it is.

People are talking about Eder but I have to give the man of the match award to Guerreiro. What a player at the age of 22. Enjoyed watching him who had high attacking and defending work rates plus being well comfortable on the ball when getting pressured by Sissoko and Griezmann.

Schmelzer and Durm will be sitting nervous when they get into the new season.
The LB? No.

If you want to give to a Portugese player that's not Eder maybe Mario or Pepe but not someone who couldn't deal with Sissoko, Griezmann or Pogba all night.

He didn't contribute anything when attacking and was suspect defensively.

Also unrelated but I'm an asshole who quotes this stuff.:P

I wouldn't pick Griezmann as top scorer as he doesn't play the central role for France but going back to his Real Sociedad days of playing on the wing.
Sorry.

You've got a shortage of great fullbacks
No they don't:

Sidibe, Kurzawa, Tremoulinas, Corchia, Digne and the list goes on.

Edit:

@Akmuq Most of the attack came from the left side and if he hadn't intercepted those balls then the result would of been very different. Hence why Payet got dropped off in 57th minute because the attack came from Sissoko's side and both Mario playing just in front of Raphael had good connection and could of had a goal before extra time if they had a natural striker on the field.

Last edited:
Again, please indicate 1 team that beat Portugal this tournament, in the 90 minutes, extra-time or penalty shoot-out.

Thank you.
Didn't you read his post? It says 1 win and 6 draws...

Portugal Leicester'd there way to the title, except people like it less because it's not as big a story.

Personally, I rate them both as bad for football being entertaining in the future.

Again, please indicate 1 team that beat Portugal this tournament, in the 90 minutes, extra-time or penalty shoot-out.

Thank you.
I am not trying to take the trophy off them, but if I told you a month ago that the tournament would be won by a team who only won one game without needing extra time or penalties, you would have called me crazy.

No they don't:

Sidibe, Kurzawa, Tremoulinas, Corchia, Digne and the list goes on.
Ah, my imperfect knowledge of French players lies exposed! :lol: 👍

I've only seen Digne play of that lot I think and remember him seeming decent enough (forgot about him entirely to be honest).

Isn't/Wasn't Kurzawa a midfielder/CDM type?

I was cheering for Portugal (found out they won while in the cinema) and was a bit sad to know Ronaldo was out early in the match. I don't know how he feels about not finishing the match, but I'm happy for Portugal anyways.

Also, classic Griezmann choking.

I organised a Euro 2016 event for 25 people in work, which I won by 1 pt thanks to Portugal's victory last night, so I am prepared for several days of claims of fixing.

Portugal is the only undefeated team in the tournament and yet, people still think it didn't deserve to win...

To all the french press, with love.

How about reading that press before making such off the target comment?
The French press has been very respectful of Portugal, as all other teams: it is simply not in the press culture to tease other nations, nor to claim things close to "we'll kick your ass [insert nation name]". French media reports that kind of stuff in English, German or Spanish press as something exotic (not to say childish). We saw a lot in German press a few days ago, and a lot in Spanish press in 2006. Tabloids are simply non existent in France.

As for L'Equipe, the popular sport daily newspaper, their cover before the final match said "With equals weapons [...] a final expected to be very close".

catalog-cover-large.jpg

Last edited:
@Milouse: What's the deal with the Eiffel Tower? People are saying that it would light up with the colours of each winning team after a game, yet yesterday it never showed the Portuguese colours.

Contrary to what many people are saying, I'm pretty sure that there's some misinformation going on and that it's not just a matter of sore losing.

Back