UEFA Euro 2016 Finals

• Thread starter Famine
  • 1,384 comments
Well Ronaldo now has a feather in his hat Messi will never have, and vise versa if you count Messi's criminal conviction. But I doubt that's one Ronaldo is too jealous of.

It wasn't very easy on the eye but they got the job done and they now have a trophy to put in their cabinet so I doubt they really give a damn how they won it. It's similar to any team under Mourinho, boring football leaving fans sat there twiddling their thumbs wanting a bit of action but they go home with a trophy.

Would you rather that than playing good open football and coming away empty handed?

Portugal are a good version of Greece. A 1-0 team with a determined defence. That's always how Greece have played for as long as I can remember. And when I say 'a good version' I mean compared to Greece now, who have slipped well off the radar. I'd rank the Greece team of 2004 better than Portugal of 2016; Greece won all of their knockout games and actually beat the finalists (Portugal, coincidentally) twice. And they did it without a marquee player.

I know it's hip and cool to immediately start comparing this winning Portugal team with other winning teams but I will stand by that.

On the other hand, you can't take this away from them. The stats don't look great; 3 wins over the whole tournament. But at the knockout stage, they didn't concede a single goal. A good defence will win you championships and tournaments. Portugal's defence was resolute and contributed tremendously to this success. In particular, I'd single out the keeper, Rui Patricio, for praise.

@Milouse: What's the deal with the Eiffel Tower? People are saying that it would light up with the colours of each winning team after a game, yet yesterday it never showed the Portuguese colours.

Contrary to what many people are saying, I'm pretty sure that there's some misinformation going on and that it's not just a matter of sore losing.

I don't have the official reason but:
- The initial "rule" about the Eifel color during Euro was that it should be the most supported team on social networks among the playing teams of that day. It was a private, marketing operation by Orange. I don't know if that changed for the late stage, but i guess it is supposed to be the winner.
- The Eifel tower is closed today, because of incidents in the fan zone yesterday that did damages. The incident took place before and during the match, as the zone has been closed once saturated, but people kept trying to come in.

On side note, Paris mayor - as our Prime Minister - is born Spanish and has both nationalities: the city is cosmopolitan, it'd hard to imagine that some local authorities did a cheap nationalist move of any sort.

I'm only a casual football fan but I feel like I can say my thoughts.

Portugal may not have been exciting to watch or seek like the best team, but they didn't win by accident and luck is part of everything in life. They defended brilliantly and that's what helped them win.

And despite how much I despise Ronaldo's dramatics whenever another player comes within five yard of him, you can't deny the passion he had for his team.

The initial "rule" about the Eifel color during Euro was that it should be the most supported team on social networks among the playing teams of that day. It was a private, marketing operation by Orange.
I think this is the missing link. And it now makes sense that the tower was showing France's colours.

👍

It's similar to any team under Mourinho, boring football leaving fans sat there twiddling their thumbs wanting a bit of action but they go home with a trophy.

That certainly doesn't apply to FC Porto between '02 and '04, I can assure you. ;)

Stupid double-post. I'm sorry. :dunce:

Last edited:

Very moving vídeo, both the kid's action and the man's reaction are uplifting.

But there are Sad news coming from Paris too. Apparently 6 portuguese supporters were ambushed and viciously attacked, with knives or glass, all were sent to Hospital and one is in very serious condition. Very Sad.

Last edited:
But there are Sad news coming from Paris too. Apparently 6 portuguese supporters were ambushed and viciously attacked, with knives or glass, all were sent to Hospital and one is in very serious condition. Very Sad.

Still no news of that in French medias. Could you check or share your source?

Portuguese supporters in Paris (mostly French and French-Portuguese) has been very loud all the night, some entered my very quiet area and, i guess, woke up thousands of people along their path. I had concerns that some would be dumb enough to go to parade on Champs Elysée in front of Arc-De-Triomphe, and trigger a reaction to this lack of respect. It happened, but they only cross french police (at which they threw fireworks), so things seems to have gone pretty well in the end.

:lol:

Still no news of that in French medias. Could you check or share your source?

Portuguese supporters in Paris (mostly French and French-Portuguese) has been very loud all the night, some entered my very quiet area and, i guess, woke up thousands of people along their path. I had concerns that some would be dumb enough to go to parade on Champs Elysée in front of Arc-De-Triomphe, and trigger a reaction to this lack of respect. It happened, but they only cross french police (at which they threw fireworks), so things seems to have gone pretty well in the end.

I don't understand the "lack of respect" bit, can't fans from teams playing the Euro celebrate their victories? Unless you tell me that that's only acceptable if their victories aren't over the host team. But even then I'd disagree.

Anyway, I have no antagonism with you nor do I want to have so let's leave it at that, agree to disagree.

About the source you aked for:

http://www.leparisien.fr/paris-7501...-supporteurs-portugais-11-07-2016-5959145.php

Portugal are a good version of Greece. A 1-0 team with a determined defence. That's always how Greece have played for as long as I can remember. And when I say 'a good version' I mean compared to Greece now, who have slipped well off the radar. I'd rank the Greece team of 2004 better than Portugal of 2016; Greece won all of their knockout games and actually beat the finalists (Portugal, coincidentally) twice. And they did it without a marquee player.

I know it's hip and cool to immediately start comparing this winning Portugal team with other winning teams but I will stand by that.

On the other hand, you can't take this away from them. The stats don't look great; 3 wins over the whole tournament. But at the knockout stage, they didn't concede a single goal. A good defence will win you championships and tournaments. Portugal's defence was resolute and contributed tremendously to this success. In particular, I'd single out the keeper, Rui Patricio, for praise.
Erm. By definition you don't have a good defence if you single out the keeper for praise.

France had chances. They didn't take them. It happens.

I think Payet is only part of the Team of the Tournament, whereas Griezmann is the Player of the Tournament.

Huh, I would have gave it to Renalto Sanches or Greizmann.
Renato was the Young Player of the Tournament.

Last edited:
I don't understand the "lack of respect" bit, can't fans from teams playing the Euro celebrate their victories?
no no no (i mean, yes to your question), don't worry, i have no antagonism either: i was specifically speaking about the Arc-de-Triomphe and Champs Elysée which is a very specific area, the former having been build for national celebration and parades. It's the most French place in the country, celebration doesn't need to turn into desecration. Let's put this onto the ignorance (about that matter) of this few.

Thanks for the link, sad story indeed.

Team of the tournament:

Rui Patricio, Kimmich, Boateng, Pepe, Raphael, Kroos, Allen, Greizmann, Ramsey, Payet, Ronaldo.

4231 formation, cant really argue with that team....

Big accusations:

BILD have accused the France team of doping during their 2-0 win over Germany. As their journalists have found Guronsan when the gained accessed into the French dressing room after he game. Guronsan isn't on the banned substance list but can breach Anti-doping rules.

image.jpeg

Back