UEFA Europa League

• Thread starter Akmuq
  • 96 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ireland
Ireland
The__Luke
It should be a good tournament this year.

I'm hoping Tottenham can win it but they have a really tricky game against Hearts on thursday.:scared:

To be honest I don't see Stoke and Birmingham getting past the Group Stages....

Also, Olympiaocos have been thrown out of the competition. They have till tomorrow night to appeal the decision but I don't think it will be overturned.

I'm hoping Tottenham can win it but they have a really tricky game against Hearts on thursday.:scared:
Spurs should walk that one. Hearts are a bit rubbish these days.

Spurs should walk that one. Hearts are a bit rubbish these days.

Maybe so but Spurs seem to be hit and miss at the start of the season. Like last year when the were 3-0 down to Young Boys.:indiff:

Right enough. Hearts at least have a few competitive games under their belts while Spurs season hasn't started yet.

Spurs should still walk it though.

Fulham should try for the final again this year. That Europa campaign of theirs was unbelievable - and no other British team got past the quarters in Europe that year. Who's the actual bookies favorite for this though?

Fulham should try for the final again this year. That Europa campaign of theirs was unbelievable

That's something I'd like to see again in this year's tournament.

I'm hoping Stoke can pull off a few surprises and go far this year, let's see if they can get a good result against FC Thun next week. As for Birmingham, I don't think they will go far to be honest. I'm not sure how good C.D. Nacional are at home (or away), but I don't expect B'ham to come away with a win next Thursday.

Fulham should try for the final again this year. That Europa campaign of theirs was unbelievable - and no other British team got past the quarters in Europe that year. Who's the actual bookies favorite for this though?

Just looking at some site which was top of a google search and it shows Paris Saint Germain and Sevilla as joint favourites and Tottenham and Atletico joint 3rd. Roma 5th.

Just looking at some site which was top of a google search and it shows Paris Saint Germain and Sevilla as joint favourites and Tottenham and Atletico joint 3rd. Roma 5th.

Sevilla always are good in the Europa League these days :lol: Who makes PSG so notable though? I was thinking Tottenham would actually be final favourites but they're in the top 3 so eh. Athletico probably won't do as well without Aguero but they still have Forlan and he's strong.

My money would be on one of the bigger teams who drop out of the Champions League going a long way in this one unfortunately.

Sevilla always are good in the Europa League these days :lol: Who makes PSG so notable though? I was thinking Tottenham would actually be final favourites but they're in the top 3 so eh. Athletico probably won't do as well without Aguero but they still have Forlan and he's strong.

I'm thinking it will be a Tottenham win, well hoping.:lol:

Their Qatari owners who have millions to spend.;)

Right enough. Hearts at least have a few competitive games under their belts while Spurs season hasn't started yet.

Spurs should still walk it though.
Spurs currently 2 nil up on Hearts after 12 minutes.

Ach well, atleast my mates will get home nice and early this evening - since, at this rate, they'll probably be leaving at half-time.

3 now. Being a Motherwell fan, I dislike Hearts, (it goes with the territory,) but I hope it doesn't get any more embarrasing for them.

3 now. Being a Motherwell fan, I dislike Hearts, (it goes with the territory,) but I hope it doesn't get any more embarrasing for them.

Well it has, 5-0 now with over 10 minutes to go.:lol:

Well, I'm not worried about Hearts any more.
Wait, you were worried?

I have to say, it's another damning indictment on the state of Scottish league football. We have two teams in Scotland that can make a fist of it in the Europa league, but that's it. Hearts are the 3rd best team in Scotland by some distance, and yet, on the basis of tonight's performance anyway, you'd be forgiven for thinking they were an amateur side...

Hearts are the 3rd best team in Scotland by some distance[citation needed], and yet, on the basis of tonight's performance anyway, you'd be forgiven for thinking they were an amateur side...
:dopey:

:lol:

I perhaps should qualify that comment by saying 'based on previous performances in the SPL'... but with the caveat 'past performance is (clearly) not a guarantee of future success' :ill:

edit: Perhaps I should have checked the other scores as well... perhaps this is more appropriate too:

We have two teams in Scotland that can make a fist of it in the Europa league [citation needed]

Last edited:
So, I said this a couple of weeks ago:
I'm not sure how good C.D. Nacional are at home (or away), but I don't expect B'ham to come away with a win next Thursday.

I stand corrected. Even though they didn't win against Nacional last week, Birmingham came away with a 3-0 win tonight, so well done to them. I'm pleased to see Spurs, Stoke and Fulham progress to the next round as well.

Also, it looks like John Arne Riise could be out for a lengthy spell after picking up an injury during Fulham's match against Dnipro.

Last edited:
I see no Celtic or Rangers in the in the Europa league!
Scottish football is going to do bad!

Stoke's match against Besiktas should be interesting, what with Stoke being pretty strong at home, plus the fact that Besiktas have far more experience playing European football.

That being said, I'd put money on Besiktas winning tonight.

I'm watching Rapid Bukarest - PSV, but it's turning into something that will see some red cards.

On a side note, it seems to be a good day for Dutch Europa league teams.

And it got even better. 1-3 .

Last edited:
On a side note, it seems to be a good day for Dutch Europa league teams.

And it got even better. 1-3 .
Same for the Belgian teams, all 3 of them took the win.

Good to see Twente take the win, hope they get over the loss of Ruiz to Fulham. He's a good player.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back