Ugly, cheap, boring, and bizarre interiors.

• Thread starter The87Dodge
  • 154 comments
There's also usually a lot more packaging constraints in cars that are seven feet wide but four feet tall.
Though on the flip side, one usually has a large budget to work with when designing a supercar, so the valid excuses for designing a poor cabin should be reduced.

Though on the flip side, one usually has a large budget to work with when designing a supercar
Compared to what, though? You hear about hundreds of millions that regular car companies like GM and Mercedes throw at simply facelifting for their cars, and I don't think the small startups even have that much. They've got less costs and nowadays usually just build off of someone else's drivetrain, but that still seems like a pretty narrow amount to create an entire car out of.

Even Ferrari putting together a fully developed and thought out car is a relatively recent thing for the company; and I don't think it can be called a coincidence that it took until they were bought by someone with endless reserves of money before Lamborghini put together a car that wasn't half-baked.

It would be a far easier task and a more concise list to name the good interiors from 1973-2007. Automotive globalism & the fear of market share loss that came with it really snuffed out creativity and care, especially when it came to interiors. Only in the last decade have things begun to swing in the right direction.

Compared to what, though? You hear about hundreds of millions that regular car companies like GM and Mercedes throw at simply facelifting for their cars, and I don't think the small startups even have that much. They've got less costs and nowadays usually just build off of someone else's drivetrain, but that still seems like a pretty narrow amount to create an entire car out of.
Supercar manufacturers also get to charge a lot more for their cars and don't have to make boring concessions for the sort of things that buyers of Camrys might want in their cabins. While they don't have the budgets of big OEMs (and realistically, I suspect most do these days on a per-car basis), I'd have said cabin design is probably second only in cabin considerations after ensuring the driver has a place to sit.

I've seen no interiors on the 'Bizarre' side of things, so here's the Saab 9000 "Prometheus" (I believe it was called)

IMG_21731.jpg

Not a bad interior in general...but why green, just WHY GREEN?

2632500006_large.jpg

Is this stock? I'm kinda confused as to why Ferrari would do this.
What Ferrari's that from :confused::odd:

I don't mind the green, but it could certainly use some red or black trim to break it up a little.

I brought this up only because I had a memory of having to go to school in my neighbor's oldsmobile once. Though her car didn't have this red.
33607430023_large.jpg

Here's an interesting one:
2016-08-07-04-42-46-1965913719.jpg

images-19.jpg

This is the Lear Siegler Contour interior available for the Camaro. These interiors are a bit of a rarity, likely due to the fact that they were quite an expensive option; to buy the LS/C package you needed to select the power driver seat option, and then pay the extra money to get the unique design. I believe in most cases it cost upwards of $800 just for this interior.

No mention of the interior of the Vector W8? You all disappoint me.
rtd69no2xehbjmklgyr1.png

To be fair to it, Vector were insistent that the car was as close to a fighter jet as possible, so in that sense the interior kind of resemble that. It actually used circuit breakers for the switches and that screen was quite advanced with what it displayed.

Unfortunately, it was designed in the mid-80s and took a few years to be made, meaning it was dated from the start.

Tata Nano
(Pic of beige)

Granted, it does remind of being unconscious during surgeries. But what do you expect from a car with $3 base price?

Supercar manufacturers also get to charge a lot more for their cars and don't have to make boring concessions for the sort of things that buyers of Camrys might want in their cabins.
They also don't have the benefit of being as cheap to assemble in addition to the absolutely massive economies of sale for individual components.

The 1992 Aston Martin Vantage.

supercharged_vantage_interior-655x562.jpg

Cheap, because it shares the same steering wheel as a Ford Mustang. This is what happens when an American company buys out a British company in the 90's.

Interior.jpg

It's what happens when an independent British car manufacturer has to design an entire model mostly off of the profits of a car they only sold 89 of, and then needs to equip an airbag to the car. The Virage the V8 Vantage was based on was designed mostly before Ford got involved and was loaded with parts bin stuff from day one; and when Ford started pumping money into Aston reportedly almost all of it went towards the DB7.

Hell, whether Ford owned Aston at that point or not, there is a decent chance it would have ended up with that wheel anyway. Ford was making hundreds of thousands of the things every year between the Mustang, Crown Victoria (and its brethren), Mark VII and Taurus (and its brethren). The main high volume alternative at the time would have been one of the Chrysler ones.

Last edited:
They also don't have the benefit of being as cheap to assemble in addition to the absolutely massive economies of sale for individual components.
Does it cost more to assemble a collection of well-designed parts than a collection of terrible-looking ones?

I suspect it costs quite a bit more to design and assemble complex parts than it does to design around prexisting ones when possible and use more rudimentary ones when not, particularly when you're already sinking tons of money into complexities elsewhere that the people designing the cars are more experienced with. That can't be helped by the labor intensive production methods, or the very low production numbers that most of these types of cars have. This is something that real car manufacturers themselves put enormous industrial weight behind and still screw up catastrophically on occasion (occasions sometimes lasting decades), so it seems fair to me that a boutique supercar business with maybe 50 people working for it probably has a poor batting average with it as well unless someone gets behind the company with experience how to sort it out.

Put another way, there was a time that the worlds largest automaker spent a large portion of 7 billion 1980s dollars to debut a car that looked like this in 1990:

luminainterior.jpg

The contemporary Diablo, with its fat checks from Chrysler leading to a likely-unprecedented-for-Lamborghini supposed development budget of 6 billion... Lira... doesn't look too bad in comparison.

Last edited:
Early (90-91) Diablos had a gauge cluster that was unusually tall and hard to see over in some cases. Plus the pedals are super close together, making the car hard to drive.
61025_Interior_Web.jpg

Latest Posts

Back