Ugly, cheap, boring, and bizarre interiors.

• Thread starter The87Dodge
  • 154 comments
To be fair, the production cars at that time weren't any better.
pontiac__grand_prix_1990_5_lgw.jpg
What happens when the airbag deploys?

Opposite topic, but wasn't there a nice/interesting car interior thread? I can't seem to find the old one that I swear exists.

devel-sixteen-12.3-litre-engine-dubai-motor-show-interior.jpg

It becomes bizarre when you realize that this interior is not from the Apple's car. And it becomes even more bizarre when you realize what car this interior is actually from.

Lancia Musa

088340.1-lg.jpg

Not only was the display center placed in an extremely ergonomically unfriendly spot, the steering wheel design is just plain stupid.

Fiat Multipla

One of the ugliest cars ever made also has one of the ugliest interiors... no surprise here.

Toyota FJ Cruiser

toyota_fj-cruiser_10_03.jpg

The center console was painted to match the car's body color, and this looks quite horrendous in blue. Who at Toyota thought this was a good idea?

Pontiac Bonneville GXP

wlatmv.jpg

According to the folks at Pontiac, you can never have enough vents...

Nissan Quest

Ergonomically bad, and that center console is basically a trash can with buttons and vents glued to it.

Pontiac Fiero

It looks like it was designed by Tonka.

Citroen Visa

Those buttons are colorful to say the least. Also, where's the horn?

Vector W8

Who ever thought that modeling the W8's interior based off an airplane cockpit should be fired.

I'm going to use this post to rant about the interior design motif that makes me the most surly.

That is carelessly over-designed center stacks that scream for attention. Particularly those that have a kind of pointed, converging symmetrical shape across the dashboard....like the designer was too afraid to do something different for the passenger side or consider the entire dash as a whole. I hate them so much. I'm so happy this trend has started to taper off and we're now seeing cars with dashboards (again) that seem to be designed across the entire length instead of to the halfway point and then mirrored. Acura and Hyundai seem to be the worst offenders, but many have gone down this path...

hw038767.jpg

Hyundai Veloster

2012_ford_fiesta_dashboard.jpg

Ford Fiesta

2013-hyundai-genesis-coupe-interiorjpg.jpg

Hyundai Genesis Coupe

acura-tl-interior-1.jpg

Acura TL

2016-hyundai-elantra-interior-04.jpg

Hyundai Elantra

2018-infiniti-q60-coupe-gray-leather-interior.jpg

The Infiniti Q60 is especially egregious considering it's fairly new and quite expensive. Look at those gauges! Straight out of 2010.

2014_Acura_ILX_15.jpg

Acura ILX

Ok that's enough. I'm genuinely feeling ill. Acute center-stack awareness syndrome.

Citroen Visa​

Those buttons are colorful to say the least. Also, where's the horn?​
The horn's out of shot on that image:

92b232f9a7f3081dce27fe4bf6275965.jpg

I've always liked the Visa interior. Partly because we had one growing up, but partly because it's an example of a manufacturer trying new things in terms of ergonomics - the idea being that all frequently-used controls should be in fingertip reach of the driver. So you've got everything lights and wipers on the left (not usually out of fingertip reach, but rarely combined so effectively) and heating and ventilation on the right - and the single-spoke wheel means you can actually see all the controls too.

Those aren't strictly colourful buttons either, but lit buttons - so the telltales are on the pod itself, rather than in the cluster.

As was often the case with Citroen interiors though, it was a little too much for the public to take in, so the mid-cycle refresh came with a much more toned-down cabin:

Visa-3.JPG

I don't mind Nissan interiors of that era. First-gen Murano, the 350Z and even the Micra were quite nicely laid out.

Could probably throw the P12 Primera into the "bizarre" pile though - again, I quite like the look, but as far as early-2000s D-segment stuff is concerned it was quite unusual.

30941-b-nis-.jpg

Definitely the most unattractive color combination I've encountered in a while. Tan-on-chocolate-brown interior of the current Buick Enclave.

Definitely the most unattractive color combination I've encountered in a while. Tan-on-chocolate-brown interior of the current Buick Enclave.

I don't find it the worst, but definitely not great. GM seems to have been doing that quite often on their cars.

On the other hand, the Jeep Wrangler Sahara (JK) had this ugly puke olive green interior. I remember working with those, there was one in the desert sand color with that olive leather. :yuck:
108388160.jpg

I'm sure some people will find it interesting.

images

TVR Speed because TVR should done something about this mess.

images

Mitsubishi Mirage the seats look like the carpet of a school.

images

Did the seats come from a train?

The second generation Isuzu D-Max is a great looking pickup truck when it came out almost a decade ago but its own interior just leaves much to be desired.

There are simply too much hard plastics as seen here.

images

One of its rivals, the D23 Nissan Navara, also feels similar but to a lesser extent.

images

In contrast, their other rivals from the same generation sport a more fine-looking interior than them.

TVR Sagaris. I understand that TVR probably had a very low budget for their interiors, but my word this is outdated for a mid-2000s car.

upload_2020-4-22_14-35-28.png

I've been in many cars throughout my whole life. I've seen the worst but perhaps they're just right about with how much the car was priced at. However, I just can't accept Toyota Camry's interior from the 2011 generation.

toyota-camry-facelift-3.jpg

Take note, the Camry isn't a cheap car, in my country at least. I hated those silver plastic trim that doesn't match well with the wood trim, hard grey dashboard, hard plastics everywhere, eye-sore white lighting (can be seen at the climate control), and last but not least, a 90s digital clock on the center of the dashboard? On a D-Segment 'premium' car from 2011? I might be too harsh but this makes the car feels so cheap, bland, uninspired, boring, everything.

I might be too harsh but this makes the car feels so cheap, bland, uninspired, boring, everything.
That sums up pretty much the Toyota Camry in general. Bland and boring, they've always been like this.
How much does it cost in your country?

That sums up pretty much the Toyota Camry in general. Bland and boring, they've always been like this.
How much does it cost in your country?

Indeed.. Even the latest Camry isn't my cup of tea either. I'd rather go for the Accord or the fabulous Mazda 6 which has a much, much better interior.

The 2011 model when new was priced around MYR175,000 for the base model, slightly more expensive than the Honda Accord and Nissan Teana at the time. Direct exchange to today's rate, that'd be around US$40,000.

Gonna say that doesn't look particularly far from the norm from any mid/late 2000s midsized car interior. Chintzy silver plastic accents in particular was in vogue at the time (the second gen Mazda 6 was particularly unappealing in comparison to the first generation because of it); and the only thing that stands out to me on that Camry compared to its direct competitors is the particularly 90s-Chrysler looking "wood"

Gonna say that doesn't look particularly far from the norm from any mid/late 2000s midsized car interior. Chintzy silver plastic accents in particular was in vogue at the time (the second gen Mazda 6 was particularly unappealing in comparison to the first generation because of it); and the only thing that stands out to me on that Camry compared to its direct competitors is the particularly 90s-Chrysler looking "wood"

I agree the same generation Mazda 6 or even Honda Accord doesn't look too different or isn't any better in terms of design, but materials are better in those and they're not bombarded with that light silver plastics, or the 90's digital clock. Why Toyota must combine silver and "wood" is ugh :lol:

My friend has the second gen Mazda 6 and I'm pretty familiar with it. Just that in Malaysia, we have this dark glossy grey trim instead of silver so it looks very nice.

TVR Sagaris. I understand that TVR probably had a very low budget for their interiors, but my word this is outdated for a mid-2000s car.
That isn't the interior for the Sagaris, looks more like the interior from the Griffith of Chimera, both of which are 90s cars.

This is the Sagaris interior:

IMG_2421.jpg

Which later got changed to this...

2008-10729-2008-tvr-sagaris1.jpg

The 2011 model when new was priced around MYR175,000 for the base model, slightly more expensive than the Honda Accord and Nissan Teana at the time. Direct exchange to today's rate, that'd be around US$40,000.
$40,000? Yeesh, they start at about $25,000 here in the states. $40,000 could get me a Lexus IS or an entry-level BMW 3-Series.

Back