Ugly, weird, silly, and just plain stupid car rebadges

• Thread starter Turbo
  • 287 comments
1996-2001 Isuzu Vertex

This was a carbon copy of the sixth-generation Civic Ferio, and was sold exclusively for the Thailand market. Yet another vehicle that spawned from Isuzu's alliance with Honda in the 1990s.​

I always see the Mercedes/Dodge Sprinters driving around under the Sterling badge. But I always forget that they had a Ram that was rebadged as the Sterling Bullet. Saw one today which reminded me about it's existence.
sterling-bullet-mk659-pic43340.jpg

I think I may found an even more depressing Subaru rebadge. I present you the 2001-2004 Subaru Traviq, nothing more than a badged-over Opel Zafira, an already dreary and badly-engineered GM product, for the Japanese market. More like "Subaru Tragic".

Strangely enough, it appeared in a racing game, GT Pro Series, released 2006.

599.jpg

My brother and I were playing through GT Pro Series to see what weird cars were in the game. (Since no one documented the car list) We actually were the ones who contributed the photos to IGCD for that game. Which that Traviq was one of ours. :lol:

I always see the Mercedes/Dodge Sprinters driving around under the Sterling badge. But I always forget that they had a Ram that was rebadged as the Sterling Bullet. Saw one today which reminded me about it's existence.
sterling-bullet-mk659-pic43340.jpg
I want one.

This was a carbon copy of the sixth-generation Civic Ferio, and was sold exclusively for the Thailand market. Yet another vehicle that spawned from Isuzu's alliance with Honda in the 1990s.

That's an Integra.

Honda's had a different Accord for the North American/Euro/JDM market since around 1994 so that's nothing new. They wanted a different, bigger car to suit the American market better.

Yes and no. That particular "Integra" was just a rebadged Civic Ferio, and more closely related to the Civic than any other Integra at the time.

Not quite right.

While it's always striked me as odd it was called an Integra - mainly because the DB6/7/8 sedan existed coinciding, I wouldn't call having an entire different front clip as a rebadge. That'd be like calling the Domani - also based off the EK Ferio - a rebadge.

Front was a pre-facelift Orthia:

BF271867_d25567.jpg

Edit: Upon some Googling, Honda's reasoning at the time for the Integra SJ was so it was a more 'upmarket' Integra as opposed to the sporty Ferio - baring the fact that the Integra derivative had the flapship Type R moniker, yet the Ferio had to make do with an SiR. I still don't get it.

SVX
I wouldn't call having an entire different front clip as a rebadge. That'd be like calling the Domani - also based off the EK Ferio - a rebadge.
I'd disagree. The Domani had entirely different bodywork full stop and a completely different interior - it's closer to the Rover 400 than any other Civic of the time.

It depends how pedantic one wants to be with the idea of "rebadging". To me the car above is similar enough to the Ferio to be considered a rebadge - particularly seeing as it's being sold under a completely different brand, which makes it even more egregious. If the Aston Cygnet or Merc X-Class get a pass in this thread, the Isuzu probably should too.

I'd disagree. The Domani had entirely different bodywork full stop and a completely different interior - it's closer to the Rover 400 than any other Civic of the time.

It depends how pedantic one wants to be with the idea of "rebadging". To me the car above is similar enough to the Ferio to be considered a rebadge - particularly seeing as it's being sold under a completely different brand, which makes it even more egregious. If the Aston Cygnet or Merc X-Class get a pass in this thread, the Isuzu probably should too.

I think you're getting mixed up between the two generations!

First generation - 1992 - 1997.

37390837271_0993098399_b.jpg

This was introduced prior to the EK, so it would make sense it doesn't share anything to do with the EK. Interior isn't shared with the EG, I'm not sure what it is shared with in general. Maybe Accord:

wallpapers_honda_domani_1992_1.jpg

The second generation that was based on the EK Ferio, 1997-2000:

5985.jpg

Honda_Domani_1997_2.jpg

Different front clip like the Integra (though not a cut and paste from another car), rear is similar to the EK Ferio, with a different bootlid. I believe shares the same rear corner lights as the larger ones fitted on the LEV Ferios- but you can definitely see the wheelbase is the exact same.

What leads me to believe you're getting mixed up is this;

and a completely different interior

...which isn't quite right because it is literally a cut and paste from an EK, barring the wood grain on the shifter surround.

honda-domani-mk22-pic81296.jpg

gallery_used-car-carlist-honda-civic-vti-sedan-malaysia_9831014_KyWtTprpEalFYTOlDFI7HP.JPG

I'm quite familiar with EKs due to researching them for work, plus my co-worker even having a second generation Domani.

To me the car above is similar enough to the Ferio to be considered a rebadge - particularly seeing as it's being sold under a completely different brand, which makes it even more egregious. If the Aston Cygnet or Merc X-Class get a pass in this thread, the Isuzu probably should too.

I never stated the Isuzu wasn't a rebadge, but the Integra SJ being a rebadged Ferio- which is what you originally stated. It's the same chassis, yeah, but a modified chassis is a modified chassis.

The Mexico-Spec 3rd Gen Mustang, it's a rebadge of a rebadge. I have to @TexRex for introducing me to this.
640px-1982_or_83_Ford_Mustang_%28M%C3%A9xico%29%2C_at_the_Desfile_de_autos_antiguos_2014.jpg

Notchback version.
ae08279b813f4353848e501e08e5266c.jpg
Mind you those are effectively Mustangs (note the arch flares) with Capri-style front end. They also got what amounted to a Capri (box flares) with a Mustang nose.

Edit: If you look closely, the top car is a notch like the bottom. Also available was the "burjuja" (bubble), which was the Capri-style hatch.

fc76_3.jpg

This would be my pick.

Last edited:
I always thought the Capri front end was the best looking one, even after the Vanilla Ice front end was put on the Mustang.

Mind you those are effectively Mustangs (note the arch flares) with Capri-style front end. They also got what amounted to a Capri (box flares) with a Mustang nose.
Yeah, I know.

Yeah, I was trying to find pictures of ones with the regular Mustang front end, but couldn't find them. How did you?
I tried google searching "mexico first gen Mustang" or "Mexico foxbody Mustang", but just got the ones with the Capri front end.

I always thought the Capri front end was the best looking one, even after the Vanilla Ice front end was put on the Mustang.
Eh, I still prefer the 1987-93 Mustang LX front end myself. The Capri's front end is great, but there's something about the LX's front end that makes me like it more.

Yeah, I was trying to find pictures of ones with the regular Mustang front end, but couldn't find them. How did you?
I tried google searching "mexico first gen Mustang" or "Mexico foxbody Mustang", but just got the ones with the Capri front end.
Simply 'mexican fox body mustang'. Plenty showed up with the Capri nose, but the alternative was mixed in among those and completely unrelated Mustang images. I think I found that particular one by following a string of related images.

Eh, I still prefer the 1987-93 Mustang LX front end myself. The Capri's front end is great, but there's something about the LX's front end that makes me like it more.
I still prefer the look of the earlier front end, but the Capri is appealing from an "it's not actually a Mustang" perspective in addition to it having box flares--that's why I like those Mexican Mustangs.

I really don't care for those last Fox Mustangs before the SN95 (which I don't like either). Not only does it not appeal to me aesthetically, but it's also tainted because I feel like there's definitely a type that drives those.

Really I love the compatibility of the Fox platform. Not only do you have all those underpinnings that can be utilized on so many vehicles, but many of the cars have front ends that can be swapped seamlessly. Of course Mustang noses are compatible, but if you include fenders and hood you open yourself up to cars like the Fairmont and LTD. I'd love a charcoal and black two-tone (full body, not just a hockey stripe) Fairmont Futura coupe with the '79-82 Mustang front end.

Simply 'mexican fox body mustang'. Plenty showed up with the Capri nose, but the alternative was mixed in among those and completely unrelated Mustang images. I think I found that particular one by following a string of related images.
Oh. :dunce:

really don't care for those last Fox Mustangs before the SN95 (which I don't like either). Not only does it not appeal to me aesthetically, but it's also tainted because I feel like there's definitely a type that drives those.
I can understand not liking the appearance of it, that look isn't for everyone. The only facelift foxbody appearance I'm not too crazy about is the GT's. Just the way the bumpers are along with the blank space on the front doesn't make it look appealing to me, not to mention those weird taillight covers.

but yeah, I don't think I'll ever feel the same way as you on the 2nd part though. I loved the Mustang since I was little and it's going to stay that way no matter how many morons drive them. :P

I loved the Mustang since I was little and it's going to stay that way no matter how many morons drive them. :P
I mean...it's not a rational thing to not like something because of the people often associated with it, I realize that. But then I've never claimed to be rational.

:lol:

I mean...it's not a rational thing to not like something because of the people often associated with it, I realize that. But then I've never claimed to be rational.
It's fine, I never claimed to be rational either. :lol:

Another thing to note is that I do share your liking for the fox platform based on the things you said. The amount of cars sharing that platform just leads to so much potential in terms of customization.

I also have some nostalgia for the foxbody Mustang as my father has owned a 1989 LX for decades now. I had a lot of happy childhood memories with that car such as going to carshows and live Nascar races. My dad also owned a 1981 Mustang before that and I have an aunt that has owned a couple of foxbodies herself.

Never knew about this one. The post-facelift Dodge Aries was rebadged in Japan as the "Dodge Michigan". Very few were actually sold, as the Japanese market knew well that it was an inferior turd.

Here's another Japanese Dodge rebadge; the Dodge 024 was sold as the Chrysler 024 briefly in Japan.

p1.jpg

This is an interesting one, a badge-engineered concept car. The 2009 Dodge Circuit is merely a rebadged Lotus Europa

The 2009-2014 Ford F150 was rebadged as the Lincoln MK LT just like the previous generation, instead this one was only available in Mexico and not the USA.

BAW Qishi, a rebadged 1997-2001 Jeep Cherokee for China. Weirdly, the BAW Qishi didn't exist until nearly a decade after the Cherokee ended production.

Dodge/Eagle 2000GTX, a rebadged Mitsubishi Galant.

Lancia A112, a badged-over Autobianchi A112 Abarth sold in Italy. They were so lazy with this one that the Autobianchi logo wasn't even removed!

SVX
I think you're getting mixed up between the two generations!

First generation - 1992 - 1997.

37390837271_0993098399_b.jpg

This was introduced prior to the EK, so it would make sense it doesn't share anything to do with the EK. Interior isn't shared with the EG, I'm not sure what it is shared with in general. Maybe Accord:

wallpapers_honda_domani_1992_1.jpg

The second generation that was based on the EK Ferio, 1997-2000:

5985.jpg

Honda_Domani_1997_2.jpg

Different front clip like the Integra (though not a cut and paste from another car), rear is similar to the EK Ferio, with a different bootlid. I believe shares the same rear corner lights as the larger ones fitted on the LEV Ferios- but you can definitely see the wheelbase is the exact same.

What leads me to believe you're getting mixed up is this;

...which isn't quite right because it is literally a cut and paste from an EK, barring the wood grain on the shifter surround.

honda-domani-mk22-pic81296.jpg

gallery_used-car-carlist-honda-civic-vti-sedan-malaysia_9831014_KyWtTprpEalFYTOlDFI7HP.JPG

I'm quite familiar with EKs due to researching them for work, plus my co-worker even having a second generation Domani.

I never stated the Isuzu wasn't a rebadge, but the Integra SJ being a rebadged Ferio- which is what you originally stated. It's the same chassis, yeah, but a modified chassis is a modified chassis.

Does the canadian sold Acura EL ring a bell? It used the front sheetmetal, taillights, and interior parts shared with the Domani.

Back