Un-official GTPlanet BBC Topgear UK ThreadTV 

• Thread starter ExigeEvan
  • 10,125 comments
Heh, at least it's better than my friend. He thought a certain actor portraying a star spangled soldier is going to be the new presenter :lol:

:lol: seen that before. Cap doing Top Gear in an epic crossover would be the dream.

Looks OK to me. Always love looking at threads like this with the "waaarrggghh I hate Clarkson, Hammond & May" "nnneaaaahhh this won't be a patch on the old line up", "huuuurggggh this looks terrible, not going to watch either show anyway but feel the need to comment over and over" when you know full well the old show was still, warts and all, one of the best things on TV (OK maybe cars had a lot to do with that), and both new shows are likely to be still very watchable, and you will, absolutely without doubt, watch them.

But that's not "cool" I guess. Maybe I should be more cynical and deliberately contrary, but I'm a positive kinda guy.

Clarkson, Hammond and May, are, at times, terrific to watch. Granted, Hammond is an idiot, Clarkson is a blowhard and May... well... May is perfect... but they did have a wonderful chemistry.

But there's no getting over the fact that they've done it all, dozens of times before. There were times, in the past three years, when I stopped watching completely (only watching after the fact to catch up), and I felt that they were in a bit of a rut until last season, when things picked up again.

It is what it is. They had a longer run than most popular TV shows, and there's no harm in trying out something new.

Luckily for me, not living in the UK, I have no idea who Chris Evans is, except that he's not Captain America and probably can't be worse than Piers Morgan, so I'm approaching this new show with a completely open mind.

He hosts the breakfast programme on BBC Radio 2, the radio station for boring people.

People don't like Chris Evans thanks to his 1990s output, not his 2010s output. He's far more placable than he used to be but people have long memories of Big Breakfast, Don't Forget Your Toothbrush and ending up on the front page of the tabloids with floozies.

@SVT Cobra GT In that scenario I'd take either Radio 3 or 4 first, depending on whether I want music or talk. Radio 2 can be pretty decent during the night though, if completely unpredictable.

Last edited:
Calling Radio 2 the radio station for boring people is more about the stereotype attached to it than the station itself or its listeners. Radio 2 is unchallenging, easy listening for people who just want something on in the background rather than dissonant noise rock or indepth discussions of complex geopolitical situations. It's rarely bad, just boring, for the most part. Chris Evans is pretty easily the best day time presenter on it though, especially since Terry Wogan's passing.
My mother's love of Radio 2 may have biased me against it, to say the least.

Netflix now have more TG episodes and its the ones from the infamous last series which includes the Ambulance episode, the Patagonia Special and the two films they showed after the series ended prematurely....

Oh boy, people arent smart are they...

At least Matt seems like a good guy. Not so sure what to think about Chris Evans now. With all the **** I've heard and now this, he's not starting on a good note with me.

and the two films they showed after the series ended prematurely....

I can't say I was impressed with the two challenges. The second was okay, but the first one left me bored.

Last edited:
If they are still going to do a Star in a Reasonably Priced Car segment for the new series then the car wont be the Vauxhall Astra Tech Line as it is on eBay to be auctioned off for charity, the reserve price on it is £10k and it has only done 3,000 miles, although it has been thrashed around the track.

If they are still going to do a Star in a Reasonably Priced Car segment for the new series then the car wont be the Vauxhall Astra Tech Line as it is on eBay to be auctioned off for charity, the reserve price on it is £10k and it has only done 3,000 miles, although it has been thrashed around the track.

I thought it had already been sold back in December for £18k?
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/news/top-gear-reasonably-priced-car-auctioned-for-charity/

Or is the backup car being sold?

I read it in the Mirror motoring pages about two weeks ago, might have been the back up car, just had a quick look on eBay and its not there, unless it was there and has been sold...

Saw a very old Top Gear behind the scenes segment the other day that I had never seen before, Jimmy Carr would have been a good shout as a presenter! :sly:

Saw a very old Top Gear behind the scenes segment the other day that I had never seen before, Jimmy Carr would have been a good shout as a presenter! :sly:

Lmao this played on my Television for like every after Season (?) which is 2 times a year.

So there's going to be a spin off online show called Extra Gear featuring behind the scenes stuff hosted by Rory Reid.

Top_Gear_gets_behind_the_scenes_BBC3_spin_off_Extra_Gear.jpg

Wait what?

He said there's going to be a spin off online show called Extra Gear featuring behind the scenes stuff hosted by Rory Reid.

To be serious though, seems like a good idea. A little extra web only show where persumably they can put some of the more serious, or "boring" stuff.

Of course there is plenty of unwarranted hate in the YouTube comments. :rolleyes:

I am still giving new Top Gear a chance; the cinematography is on point, a number of interesting guests have made appearances and there doesn't seem to be forced humour. How an entertainment show should be!

They don't seem to get along, I'll still watch it tho. Actually In pretty impatient to see how the new series will turn out.

Isn't this on at the end of the month?, sure I read somewhere that the new series starts on the 22nd...

Back