Un-official GTPlanet BBC Topgear UK ThreadTV 

• Thread starter ExigeEvan
  • 10,125 comments
...Huh. I thought TG USA got the cancellation chop but here comes the new one:

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/top-gear-tv/top-gear-america-new-us-based-tg-series

Not sure how the heck actor William Fichtner got the hosting gig, though - did Matt LeBlanc's performance play a role in that, I wonder?

At least Fifth Gear veteran Tom Ford's also the part of the lineup. I haven't seen him in yonks but hell, he lost some weight, it seems.

At least Fifth Gear veteran Tom Ford's also the part of the lineup. I haven't seen him in yonks but hell, he lost some weight, it seems.

Tom Ford was a great presenter on Fifth Gear and a few other things, it does seem like a decade since he's been on TV but that's a good hire for sure. I would love to see a US/UK TG tie up episode one day.

I am enjoying the season more and more. MLB seems like a natural "figurehead", quite relatable and knowledgeable too. I also approve of the BBC thumbing its relatively meagre budget in TGT's face with that Bond segment. Kudos for being creative and not just limiting themselves to the TGTT.

Overall, it's moving in the right direction for me.

Third episode is the best yet, one huge advantage they have is the soundtrack, The Aston-Merc chase with Brothers in arms playing was fantastic. Cinematography is insane as well.

Tamsin was a great guest, I also thought it was Alpine not Alpeen.

For some reason the previous episode really fell flat for me, I thought a lot of the bits with Tamsin Greig were really stilted, but perhaps I wasn't in the right mood.

Yesterday's though I thought was a big improvement. The Pac-Man segment was better than it really had any right to be, Tiny Tempah was a good guest, the Chiron bits were interesting, and the TG-by-numbers Car vs. xyz race was kept down to the right length.

Still hoping they (or the Stig) will hoon those cars behind them around at some point though. If they do my money is on 1.Esprit (as long as it's the 350hp V8) 2.Testarossa 3.Countach 4.911 Turbo. Never gonna happen though :)

EDIT: Nope, it's an older Esprit.

Last edited:
I'm a bit disappointed that we haven't seen a lot of the Stig doing power laps yet, i think he has only done one this series so far and last night we saw his 'teenage cousins'.

Also, last night the Brabus Smart FourTwo got on the board but not the Chiron, i understand that its still under development but that the FXX K and now the Chiron not being driven around the track this series.

Felt episode 4 was fine but not better than the rest, something motorsport related between Sabine and chris got teased next week and I can't wait. Really hope they do a 24 hour race like old Top Gear.

I liked the Chiron bit it was amazing I think, the race in Dubai was ok, I was expecting Matt to sky dive actually but no it was a bike uniform. The small car pac man was pretty uninteresting to me and I'm still not sold on the whole interview part.

...You know, after getting endlessly spammed in my inbox regarding the Chiron segment ("Ohhh, look!! A Chiron!! It's coming in FOUR days!! Now, it's Three!!! Two!! Only ONNNNNNEEEE day to go!! :rolleyes:) that whole thing turned out to be rather.... unspectacular, especially compared to the FXXK film.

It wasn't that the car itself was the problem, nor the script, but I blame the dusty, endlessly brown and spookily empty Dubai airport setting. It was just so uninteresting. The race bit at the end was also a bit underwhelming too - didn't feel like there was a real stake worth competing for.

And no outright farming equipment joke!! That was refreshing.

Overall, as Mark Kermode might say, a fantastically average show.

This episode was not as great as the others, pretty boring other than the Ford GT segment.

Matt demonstrating how Roborace could be vastly improved :lol:

I've not seen last nights episode yet, but overall it's been a big improvement over last season. Not flawless, some of the banter in the studio bits needs to be worked on, it feels a bit forced at times, but it's so much more tolerable than Chris Evans shouting at everything.

Loved last night's episode though I'll play Devil's Advocate and say that I didn't really enjoy the 'King of The Hammers' segment.

The Ford GT review was spot on. :D

I could live without Rory, Sabine and especially Eddie, but they don't spoil it for me.

Personally, I thought all of last nights episode was top notch.

I could live without Rory, Sabine and especially Eddie, but they don't spoil it for me.

Personally, I thought all of last nights episode was top notch.
I don't mind Rory, I like Sabine, Eddie however can bugger off and never come back to TV, ever.

...Just finished it. That Ford GT segment was good. I mean, it easily trumps the Chiron one from last week. Nice scenic locale, iconic track and the car all gelled remarkably well.

I seriously think TGT is far, far inferior to this season of TG. Goes to show that having ten times the budget isn't be-all-and-end-all of the quality programming. Who knew. If the old trio isn't looking hard at how the new trio is doing things right now, they'd be fools.

However, why does it feel like it's rapidly becoming Harris & Le Blanc Show? Why is Reid getting almost next to no segment on his own? Why is he even there?!

And where's the farm equipment joke this week?! I was looking forward to that!!

A really enjoyable episode and agree, they all seem more relaxed and spontaneous. I quite like Sabine's role but yeah, feel a bit sorry for Rory as the useless sidekick.

Had to laugh at the steering wheel incident with Sabine, reminded me of Petter Solberg :lol:

Do they really need to keep using the music TRON: Legacy in every supercar segment?
It's almost a meme at this point.

I love the TRON OST as much as anyone does but flipping hell. :lol:

I like these hosts, they work well together rather than two of them giving in to the most obnoxious or shouty one. I like The Grand Tour, and thought Top Gear had had its day, but I was wrong. I think we have it great just now as we have two shows who are going to always compete to try to outdo each other, and the result is we the viewers are the winners.

As an afterthought: I wonder what would have happened had Hammond and May stayed on and they just put Matt LeBlanc in Clarksons' place....

I like these hosts, they work well together rather than two of them giving in to the most obnoxious or shouty one. I like The Grand Tour, and thought Top Gear had had its day, but I was wrong. I think we have it great just now as we have two shows who are going to always compete to try to outdo each other, and the result is we the viewers are the winners.

As an afterthought: I wonder what would have happened had Hammond and May stayed on and they just put Matt LeBlanc in Clarksons' place....
I figure Harris would have been a logical replacement to Clarkson. He's fast, knowledgeable and established. Seeking pure star power to replace Clarkson could have been an obvious decision to be made by a numpty in a position of power.

I figure Harris would have been a logical replacement to Clarkson. He's fast, knowledgeable and established. Seeking pure star power to replace Clarkson could have been an obvious decision to be made by a numpty in a position of power.

I had only heard of Harris when I used to read Evo magazine, I hadn't seen any of his YouTube content so he was a pleasant surprise when he made the big screen.

Latest Posts

Back