Un-official GTPlanet BBC Topgear UK ThreadTV 

• Thread starter ExigeEvan
  • 10,125 comments
I think I enjoyed the last episode most of all the series. The editing and timing of some of the humour is right on the button, and as someone previously pointed out, says a lot for the crew who remained on board rather than going with Wilman & Co. I think the last series can be disregarded to some extent and, with that in mind, the trio are really coming together. Unlike some, I think Rory is great value too, although I do sometimes wonder about his automotive chops, perhaps I need to look him up on Youtube for a little more proof. Eddie and Sabine are also included in exactly the right dosage now.

Some interesting stuff on twitter of the presenters. If people like to be surprised by what's in the new season, I'll place it in a spoiler tag.

Looks like they're racing big sedans. Loving Harris's 300 SEL AMG replica.

In the paper version of Autosport, there was a small article in the national racing section about a week or two ago, showing all 3 cars. LeBlanc has a Bentley done up to look like the 1930s 4½ Litre "Blower" racer.

Can't wait for the new season, the three started to gel together quite well by the end of the last and the production quality is still unrivalled for a motoring show.

I felt that, as an example, the Bond segment last season (DB11 vs S63) really showed how the comradery is starting to build. It was actually funny! The production values and cinematography have definitely upped a notch to like Blue Planet levels now.

They are going to have to work hard though to win back the public, last years viewing figures were the worst in new TG's entire history.

Last edited:
An update. Series 25 will start tomorrow and they uploaded a decent amount of footage for the first episode. Bit of a spoiler.

Rob Brydon is the guest on the first episode of the new series, he has been on the show twice before.

Also LeBlanc, Reid and Harris take Sports cars to America in search of Bigfoot.

8pm BBC Two.

...It's this week's Wednesday for me. Actually, not just me, but my region is. That's still better than folks in America, though - they have to wait until March to see the show on their telly!!

Enjoying top gear. Great cars. Not gonna spoil it as the yanks dont get it yet. Great chemistry from the boys.

Enjoyed tonight's show but was distracted by the footage of Matt inside his car towards the end...was he actually there? It looked a little off to me.

That was really good. I like how they're trying to work as a team rather messing with each other. I wonder how they convinced McLaren to let them drive their car through miles of gravel roads. :lol:

Some shots seemed extra grainy and the color grading was pretty extreme throughout the whole thing. Not my cup of tea, but hey.

Oh almost forgot about Extra Gear. I'm glad they're keeping that.

Last edited:
Agree it was a good start. Found the 540GT an odd choice though (would've preferred an all American gang - GT350R, ZL1 and Hellcat for example). Also not being able to run at Bonneville is a bummer. I can really sympathize with Harris on that one.

All in all I think the trio are blending together quite nicely. I like that they still have a dig at each other, but it's not caricatured like the old TG trio. Sometimes TGT can come off more like a comedy skit with cars thrown in rather than an automotive entertainment show. Anyway, it's great to have both regardless 👍

Having a proper soundtrack makes a world of difference compared to TGT's mostly generic/imitation music. It's a promising start.

I thought that episode was a bit dull to be honest, the choreography was a bit too obvious as well.

....Damn. I have to wait until tomorrow evening when the show will officially air here. All the posts above mine, almost, are getting me hyped up, somewhat. Hopefully, it can live up to it.

Last edited:
Finally got a chance to watch the new episode. Kind of cool they did a road trip across Utah and visited two of the local tracks. I had to laugh at the moonshine thing though, that's like the least Utah thing I can think of.

Tonight has the three of them back in the States in California testing off-road stuff, Harris has a test of the McLaren 720S and Comedian Lee Mack is the guest, his first time on the show I believe.

mclaren segment (with bit that happened on the grand tour) great, lee mack guest great, the rest of it sucked

Gosh it was dull like last weeks, never used to watch the clock when watching TG, now I do it all the time. Feels like it's got even worse compared to last season.

The one positive was how hands on the presenters are. Most of the stuff done by Matt and Chris in particular could never have been done by the old trio.

At times watching Top Gear feels like watching a beloved old pet struggling, and being torn between wanting to put the poor thing out of its misery and not wanting to let it go. I like the bits where they test actual cars, but I fear they are not only treading (very) old ground with the rest of the show, but also their attempts at preserving the existing format are all too frequently falling flat, which is a great pity. Clarkson, May and Hammond's Top Gear was completely different to what preceded it, and they made it a great success - but the last few seasons were stilted, scripted and getting stale - hence it was perhaps not the best idea to go with the option of keeping that 'successful' format rather than being a bit bolder and doing things differently. As a result, it is now in danger of becoming more like a Sunday night sitcom than a car show. That said, the show still has its moments, but I believe it would be considerably more successful if they started back down the road towards actual car reviews than the 'roadtrip' format that once worked so well.

At times watching Top Gear feels like watching a beloved old pet struggling, and being torn between wanting to put the poor thing out of its misery and not wanting to let it go. I like the bits where they test actual cars, but I fear they are not only treading (very) old ground with the rest of the show, but also their attempts at preserving the existing format are all too frequently falling flat, which is a great pity. Clarkson, May and Hammond's Top Gear was completely different to what preceded it, and they made it a great success - but the last few seasons were stilted, scripted and getting stale - hence it was perhaps not the best idea to go with the option of keeping that 'successful' format rather than being a bit bolder and doing things differently. As a result, it is now in danger of becoming more like a Sunday night sitcom than a car show. That said, the show still has its moments, but I believe it would be considerably more successful if they started back down the road towards actual car reviews than the 'roadtrip' format that once worked so well.

Strange to say but i find the celeb part the most entertaining. Watching harris teaching someone the track has become my favourite part lately, also helped by good guests on show.

I like the bits where they test actual cars, but I fear they are not only treading (very) old ground with the rest of the show, but also their attempts at preserving the existing format are all too frequently falling flat, which is a great pity. Clarkson, May and Hammond's Top Gear was completely different to what preceded it, and they made it a great success - but the last few seasons were stilted, scripted and getting stale - hence it was perhaps not the best idea to go with the option of keeping that 'successful' format rather than being a bit bolder and doing things differently.

They needed to change the format with this new lot as much as the last lot. Problem is they haven't and it's really not working. I can imagine even with Clarkson and Co still there they would have changed it up by now.

Well I quite enjoyed last night episode, I think the three of them are gelling quite well, one thing I didn't like was the reverse race they had in city cars, that was bewildering....

I'm siding with the 'put it out of its misery' train of thought.

Painful to watch at times and even though it looks like Rory Reid is starting to be airbrushed from the main proceedings, not even this act of humanity is enough to save it.

Back