Un-official GTPlanet BBC Topgear UK ThreadTV 

• Thread starter ExigeEvan
  • 10,125 comments
Having watched the new season, I did enjoy it overall, but with some reservations. I don't think Freddie has much impact on screen, and doesn't seem to have the quick wit to match the other two presenters, he seems to just be there to make Chris Harris look small. Speaking of, Harris's infectious enthusiasm appears to have taken a back seat, with not much in its place. He's fine when he's presenting a segment on his own (the Lotus 79 film was great), but when sharing the camera with Paddy and Freddie, he's become a bit of a third wheel. Which is a shame, he's by far and away my favourite car reviewer, and my favourite TG presenter.

I'm sure given time the chemistry between all 3 will develop more. The big surprise was Paddy McGuinness, it was like he'd been on the show since the beginning. I do miss LeBlanc Vs Harris though, and I'd hoped to see more of Rory this season, not less. Or none.

I don't even know if Rory Reid is still there or not, I don't think there was any extra gear episodes.

I don't even know if Rory Reid is still there or not, I don't think there was any extra gear episodes.

He's been doing some stuff recently with the YouTube channel Carfection.

Not sure though if that's his new "home" since moving away from TG.

For those interested in the US, it appears that MotorTrend will be airing episodes of Top Gear starting Friday evening and through the weekend. Non-stop? I don't know, but the ad is showing Clarkson.

Later: It's each evening this weekend only, and the old trio.

Last edited:
For those interested in the US, it appears that MotorTrend will be airing episodes of Top Gear starting Friday evening and through the weekend. Non-stop? I don't know, but the ad is showing Clarkson.

Later: It's each evening this weekend only, and the old trio.
All the episodes can be rewatched on the app too.

So last night there was a Guy Martin programme on Channel 4 called 'The Worlds Fastest Tractor'

I wonder where he got that idea from?! :lol:

It was good to be fair, he got the help of JCB to turn their fastest production tractor into one that did and average of 135 and a top speed of 153MPH which smashed a record, although it was no expense spared and TG's Track-Tor was mentioned but Guy wasn't impressed with the attempt as he thought it barely a tractor.

Also it was on the same runway as Hammond when he has his near-fatal crash in that jet-engine powered car.

A friendly reminder that there is a Top Gear Christmas Special tonight, they drive through the country of Nepal in three old cars in five days.

BBC Two at 9pm.

The special was a decent special, but not that good, and probably Harris, Flintoff and McGuiness' poorest episode so far.

I feel the same, was pretty good but nothing special.

New series is expected in January sometime but that's not confirmed.

I feel the same, was pretty good but nothing special.

New series is expected in January sometime but that's not confirmed.
In fact I got the same feeling from the whole of last series. I guess there hasn't been any 'standout' episodes. Clarkson, Hammond and May had the Burma Special, Chris Evans had the Jaguar S-Type SVR (although that was presented by Rory Reid) and LeBlanc, Harris and Reid had the SsangYacht, but nothing so far has been quite as grand so far with the new presenters. It'll come at some point.

I just find the new hosts to be really boring. Harris is interesting enough because he clearly has a real passion for cars, but the other two guys are pretty meh. I've tried watching a few episodes with the new hosts and I just can't get excited about them. At least with LeBlanc, he had a certain charm on camera that came with decades of acting.

That's a shame, especially since Grand Tour will only be doing 2 shows per year. At least, there's Car Throttle and other stuff on youtube.

I just find the new hosts to be really boring. Harris is interesting enough because he clearly has a real passion for cars, but the other two guys are pretty meh. I've tried watching a few episodes with the new hosts and I just can't get excited about them. At least with LeBlanc, he had a certain charm on camera that came with decades of acting.

I understand where you’re coming from, but I do partly disagree. I can’t stop laughing every time Paddy McGuinness is on screen, especially when gathering supplies in Nepal. I was in tears. He’s quickly becoming one of my favourite presenters. But Freddy never seems to have much impact. All three seemed to have a bit more chemistry between them for the Christmas Special, it was more interesting to watch than the most recent TG series. But still not as good as Harris Vs LeBlanc in Norway, or in Japan, or in the 2CV, or the cheap luxury cars challenge.

I understand where you’re coming from, but I do partly disagree. I can’t stop laughing every time Paddy McGuinness is on screen, especially when gathering supplies in Nepal. I was in tears. He’s quickly becoming one of my favourite presenters. But Freddy never seems to have much impact. All three seemed to have a bit more chemistry between them for the Christmas Special, it was more interesting to watch than the most recent TG series. But still not as good as Harris Vs LeBlanc in Norway, or in Japan, or in the 2CV, or the cheap luxury cars challenge.
I still want Matt to make a cameo appearance or even be a recurring presenter.

I thought it wasn't that bad to be honest. Unlike Grand Tour's special their route actually has a danger element to it, and the cars are proper clunkers. We all know nothing will beat classic CHM at this point, but I'm warming up to the other 2 presenters and really quite enjoyed the hardships and vistas in this special. Nepal is an astonishing country.

New series starts tomorrow. they all go on 'holiday' and take three second hand convertibles with them, Chris tests the new Ariel Atom and Freddie finds out if an old Land Rover can survive a bungee jump.

BBC Two tomorrow at 8pm.

In my opinion, last night's episode was one of the best episodes of Top Gear. It even made me laugh, and Top Gear's never been good with that. I thought the bungie jump was terrifying as well.

One of the most entertaining episodes in a long time. I love the LeSabre's headlights, Atom's BOV, Freddie's leap of faith and of course Chris Harrisaurus had me in stitches :lol: I think with Grand Tour going off on a different format TG finally found it's new groove. Looking forward to the rest of the series, there's some really stellar cars in the montage :drool:

I agree with most of the other replies, I really really enjoyed that episode and the bit with the car bungee jump had me laughing and terrified in equal measure, even though we know he made it through it OK.

Back