Un-official GTPlanet BBC Topgear UK ThreadTV 

• Thread starter ExigeEvan
  • 10,125 comments
With the two presenters they brought on they seem to be trying to appeal more and more to non car people. It seems to work if my parents are anything to go by, who had previously never seen an episode of TG in their life, but now watch every week.

They like the league of their own style hijinks and banter but have zero interest in car reviews.

I think you're right. Paddy McGuinness doing car "reviews" is a rough watch, to put it mildly. And Flintoff sounds so stiff and forced when talking about car specs, too. Not sure if the current series was a good barometer to figure out the future direction of the show, though, as almost all the episodes gave me the impression that the pandemic played havoc with the scheduling and shooting on location.

The only review that they had really was the Ferrari SF90 in the first episode, most of the series was rather pointless challenges and builds.

I think you're right. Paddy McGuinness doing car "reviews" is a rough watch, to put it mildly. And Flintoff sounds so stiff and forced when talking about car specs, too. Not sure if the current series was a good barometer to figure out the future direction of the show, though, as almost all the episodes gave me the impression that the pandemic played havoc with the scheduling and shooting on location.

Indeed, although to be fair they never claimed to have signed on two petrolheads. Obviously why they kept Harris on as the car guy, while the other two are the entertainers with cars. It does work most of the time though.

So I read an interview with Chris Paddy and Andrew/Freddie today about the upcoming new series, Cant really say in what publication the interview was as you guys would probably come round my house with pitch-forks!

But I can reveal a few thing about the new series, which starts next Sunday.

Firstly it will only be four episodes and not the usual six.
Secondly it was recorded entirely in the UK obviously because of the pandemic, the last series was almost all UK based but the hire-car challenge in Cyprus was recorded pre-pandemic.
One of the bits they havve done is they drove the cars their dad's drove when they were growing up and they said it was very emotional, especially for Chris who's dad died when he was 24.
Chris also does a road test/review of the new Lamborghini Sian.

New series starts tonight, The Sian road test/review and the lads drive their dad's old cars.

8pm BBC One.

I got to see it last night, and it was great. Partly because, Chris Harris's dad used to drive the same BMW as my own old man - 323i. Although my dad's was an automatic and a four door. :lol:

Also, I have to say, Sian is one ugly car. It must be the worst looking Lambo in the modern era by some margin, and yes, I'm saying it's uglier than both Egoista and Urus.

Sabine Schmitz has unfortunately died after a battle with cancer, making her last appearance last series (I believe), and is possibly the only Top Gear presenter to die while being an active presenter. She will be missed, she had a lot of funny moments, both as a guest star and presenter.

Sounds like your dad's car might have been an E30 323i then, rather than an E21, since there was no 4 door E21.

It could very well be. I'll have to see if it was an E30 or E21, but it could be E30. Although, this is South African market we're talking about, and we had plenty of SA only weird home grown BMW models over the years, so...

So, having not really watched much Top Gear for a number of years I thought I'd have a little binge this last week.

I have to say, I think Flintoff has been a great addition to the show. It's clear the intended dynamic for the show has now properly shifted away from the Clarkson era of comedy, where the humour was based on negative things, misfortune, criticism, failure, and doing each other over... to a more positive style of banter, I like it.. it's refreshing... except for Harris. Competent though he may be, he frequently comes across as a total nob - whether or not it's scripted, acted or genuine, it's jarring. If I was on a road trip, I'd take Flintoff well before the old line-up, and before most of the latest line-ups.

Tonight's show. Bonds cars, half car racing and Freddie races an Extreme E race car against a man with a jet pack!

BBC One 8pm.

Last edited:
A great episode, particularly the Bond segment. That said, I was disappointed there was no compilation of Sabine's best moments. I'd like to see her in the Transit van, make Chris Evans sick and terrify Rory Reid again.

Beeb's iPlayer, is it? :indiff: Not available where I live, so I'll have to wait until this Wednesday, then.

Last edited:
Last episode of a shortened four episode series tonight, apparently they 'solve' the mid-life crisis, which honestly sounds terrible.

One good thing though, Harris tests the GR Yaris and has some rally classics on hand to compare it to.

BBC One tonight 8pm.

Back