Unexpectedly Fast Cars & Sleepers

• Thread starter dabest2500
  • 567 comments
The Dodge Ram will win against pretty much anything at the same PP. It doesn't grip as well as a car, but the acceleration out of corners is excellent due to its 4WD, and because it's so heavy, it can carry a lot more HP than other cars at the same PP level.

Mercury cougar xr-7. 750 horses with less than 1200kg? This thing embarrasses even some of the modern muscle in the straights.

I can agree to that. With 919 ft lb of torque that thing is a monster. Every time you get it in fourth gear she takes off like a rocket. I'm still trying to find a tune for her. She really don't like to hold the road with my current settings and I find it extremely easy to over speed the entrance to a turn.

The Dodge Ram will win against pretty much anything at the same PP. It doesn't grip as well as a car, but the acceleration out of corners is excellent due to its 4WD, and because it's so heavy, it can carry a lot more HP than other cars at the same PP level.

Or as I found out at the Ring in shuffle's earlier, bully them off the road :lol:

I ran hot laps with over 100 (and still doing more) unmodified cars on my custom 5.01-mile Toscana course, took me forever to develop but it tells me so much more than a simple Top Gear lap. Two large straights, several sharp blind corners, some mid-corner speed bumps, hard off-camber stuff, rapid elevation changes, and a wide variation in banking will really put a car to the test. The half mile from the starting line to the first corner judges acceleration. Long sweepers (one with speed bumps to check suspension travel) and a couple sets of 80mph+ unbanked S-curves gauge high-speed stability. A few sections I'm 100mph+ before a very steep elevation drop leading into a sharp blind corner, hard downhill trail braking quickly finds weak brakes or any instability. Following a 2nd gear left-hander you have to go wide open throttle uphill through a hard off-camber right, LSD or traction problems are quickly found. The back straight will have an unmodified supercar above 180mph and gives a good realistic top speed.
Any flaw or weakness will cause serious problems with the track being so brutal on the car, a car that performs well on that track quickly stands out. I'd like to be able to upload videos of me thrashing cars there; the best cars will still spin tires, bottom out, lose control, and get tossed off the track like a stuffed animal.

In my testing on that track I really liked the '04 BMW M3 (not the CSL or GTR). Calling it a great machine all around is like saying the Pope is Catholic. Its lap time was getting into RUF numbers, it has so much feedback and character that it's plain fun to drive! The '07 M3 was less than a second quicker but felt dead, sluggish, and boring in comparison.

The Lotus Motor Sport Elise is a serious handful to keep on that track but it was VERY fast and has a great sense of accomplishment when you get it right! In my list I keep of lap times it was one of the fastest cars I've ever tested, holding one of very few unmodified laps under 3:00.

The Audi RS4 felt like it was built for someone fresh out of a mental institute, it's so heavy but its acceleration seems to break the laws of physics. If you don't already have one you have been missing out.

The Lexus IS-F somehow also managed to go under 3:00, no sense has ever been made of that. A BMW M3 struggles to get a 3:05 and the RUFs all got around 3:03, then this 4000lb luxury behemoth runs the same lap as a British rocket-powered soda can. I don't have a clue how, but I swear it really did happen!

The SVT Lightning F-150 was as fast as the Ford RS200 road car, rather impressive.

The '08 Challenger SRT8 ran with the M3 and actually performed the best of any of the newer pony cars. Shocking I can even say this but it's handling was actually pretty good!

+1 on RS4, that thing is craaaazy!

For me is 3 cars: Volvo S60 T-5 Sport. Everytime I bring this car onto the track in an online room, I get an "lol volvo..." comment. Every freakin' time! But it kills the higher tiers with it's ugly poop green/brown colors without a problem. This car, driven right on stock, can keep up with the better Japanese cars, save the skyline or nsx. It also looks like it will probably just go get some groceries, instead of winning a race.

Second is a Lexus SC 430. Not exactly a sleeper on first glance, especially considering the race versions. But someone who knows a little about Lexus knows this car is heavy and bulky. Still, tuned it a little bit for the 'ring, and this thing just flies. The torque is immense, and stock tranny seems alot better than a racing tranny. When I put this car on the starting line, I know people in their Skylines and Elise's are deciding already that they've won, but as soon as even a small straight comes my way, they honk their horns in frustration at just how fast this thing can really be. On a 500pp race, I'd say around average, cars get up to about 160-175 mph on the back straight, where-as this thing will already be pushing 185-190 by the time they reach 160.

I could go on about sleepers, I usually look for them over anything else.

Lastly I would have to say the Mitsubishi Cyborg '97. Anyone who has driven this car with racing exhaust knows exactly what I'm talking about. The sound....is just....beautiful. I get comments online all the time about the sound, and often have people just following behind me because of it. Aside from that, this little hatch is fast and nimble. It handles easily and efficiently, and has great speed. Turbo lag is big, but it kicks in more notably than any other car I've driven. It's not a high tier vehicle, but in it's class, it's more than a contender. It's a dream.

Edit: sorry one more. Someone mentioned the MGF '97 and I have to agree 100%. Super fast, in it's PP range it's definitely one of the fastest. Takes A LOT of tuning to get the handling right, but man, this car is extreme in every sense. Doesn't look it either.

Last edited:
This might be regarded as a sports car but I'm going to say its a sleeper cos it's just past your eyes before you look round! Ginetta g4 wif all the parts and a good tune can outrun all evos except ct230r and all imprezas. But if your really pushing it, it can probably shift into a v12 vantage!

aadil717
Mercedes Benz SL600 (R230) '04
1025BHP
Mines hits 273MPH WITHOUT slipstream.
Don't believe me? Add me and I'll show you on online. :)

It's a flipping sl600! Are you ****ing kidding me that you are calling this a sleeper! it is the fastest merc alive and nobody forgets it! Your not going to roll up to the traffic lights in a lotus beside an sl600 and think "I'm going to win this race"

Bobdblob
It's a flipping sl600! Are you ****ing kidding me that you are calling this a sleeper! it is the fastest merc alive and nobody forgets it! Your not going to roll up to the traffic lights in a lotus beside an sl600 and think "I'm going to win this race"

It's nice, but not Serious SLS AMG.

Too bad we didn't get any Black Series. Personally I find the SL55 more of a sleeper Merc than the 600. That's just me.

Bobdblob

Well I've had this game since launch and this car for more than a year now, and STILL every time I take this online there are still people foolish enough to think its just an old Mercedes.
They mistake the stock rims and the beige colour for an average old mans car (which is deliberate on my behalf).

If you park this car next to other supercars/hypercars in GT5 what do you think is the sleeper? The Ferrari Enzo? The McLaren F1? The Pagani Zonda? No, it's the SL600.

It looks like a sleeper, and many people underestimate it; so I stand by my opinion - it's a sleeper - "A very fast car that looks slow and puts cars in higher classes to shame."

FYI:
0-62MPH/100KMH times of Stock Cars;
SL600 - 4.6 Seconds,
Lotus Espirit Sport 350 - 4.3 Seconds,
Lotus Exige - 3.9 Seconds.

So I don't see how at a set of traffic lights the Lotus wouldn't think "I'm going to win this race".

McClarenDesign
It's nice, but not Serious SLS AMG.

Too bad we didn't get any Black Series. Personally I find the SL55 more of a sleeper Merc than the 600. That's just me.

Hmm yeah, but the SL55 in terms of aesthetics just looks a whole lot faster; the quad chrome tip exhausts, the rims, the vents in the bumper for cooling of brakes - that car looks like it means business much more than the 600.

For the class it's in, I don't think most people you race against online (unless they have one loaded up that high) even know it's that fast.

Most people online are going to know the SLS and SLR are the bad boys on the block. The SL65 AMG still has good street cred, but if you don't have an SL600 that's tuned up then you probably have no clue that thing is about to throw four figures worth of ponies to the ground.

masterrawad
The Ginetta G4. Heck, I outran a corvette and a fully tuned mitsubishi Evo IX with it.

That car isn't just unexpectedly fast, it's unexpectedly crazy!

Thinking about it, it would make a good drift car. 💡

Anyways as said above the SL600 is perhaps the ultimate sleeper.

This might be regarded as a sports car but I'm going to say its a sleeper cos it's just past your eyes before you look round! Ginetta g4 wif all the parts and a good tune can outrun all evos except ct230r and all imprezas. But if your really pushing it, it can probably shift into a v12 vantage!

Heck yeah that thing is a beast, i beat a mildly tuned Corvette Zr1 in it.

That car isn't just unexpectedly fast, it's unexpectedly crazy!

Thinking about it, it would make a good drift car. 💡

Anyways as said above the SL600 is perhaps the ultimate sleeper.
Nope ultimate sleeper is the Audi RS6. Of course people may have wised up to it by now so the Audi Pikes Peak makes a great shocker up to around 575PP.:D

FYI:
0-62MPH/100KMH times of Stock Cars;
SL600 - 4.6 Seconds,
Lotus Espirit Sport 350 - 4.3 Seconds,
Lotus Exige - 3.9 Seconds.

So I don't see how at a set of traffic lights the Lotus wouldn't think "I'm going to win this race".

Not to belabor the point, but, nobody buys a lotus to race at stop lights

The Mazdaspeed Atenza '05 is the absolute definition of "sleeper".
467g2970.jpg

As you can see, this car looks completely innocent, like the rest of the Atenza's in the game, but what lies beneath is a 500+bhp 4WD system. I've had many a chuckle at the expense of others with this car. Although not quite up to the same level as a fully tuned Evo or Impreza, it will keep up with them long enough for them to make a mistake.

(I've only seen mention of the FWD versions so far)

Viper Acr(full tune for roughly 300k total) Yeah we all know theyre fast but when tuned right they can out run cars that cost more just to purchase. Mine is sittin on about 1011hp right now and is about 2 seconds faster than my Enzo on Trial Mountain.

I can agree to that. With 919 ft lb of torque that thing is a monster. Every time you get it in fourth gear she takes off like a rocket. I'm still trying to find a tune for her. She really don't like to hold the road with my current settings and I find it extremely easy to over speed the entrance to a turn.

Try the watering hole tune for the 71' Mach 1. Its a similar chassis size and structure. It wont be a perfect fit and will need tweeking still but it should give you a good solid starting point.

seanneedscar
Not to belabor the point, but, nobody buys a lotus to race at stop lights

I know, the "racing a lotus at stop lights" was in response to bobdblob statement.

Personally I wouldn't race either at one.

My alfa gulia 62. is a sleeper. Its got less than 200hp will drift all day long and looks stock. Its standard white with white steel wheels (no fancie alloys hear). So if your out drifting and a little white alfa flys past its probaly me lol

Personally, I think the best sleepers are the wagons or estate cars. Family haulers with ridiculous power like the RS6 are just awesome.

A list of cars I´d call "sleepers" tuned out engine (adj. gear-box optional) anything else stays stock. A sleeper is supposed to be a wolf in sheep clothing! AMG´s; M´s; RS´s even S´s or Type R´s; Aero´s whatever is build for performance both technically AND visually can not be called "sleeper"! Because they aren´t!

Volkswagen 1200 ´66

Samba Bus

Skyline Sedan 350GT Type SP ´06

Peugeot 307 CC Premium AVN ´04

Audi TT Coupe 3.2 quattro ´03

BMW Z4 ´03

Opel Corsa Comfort 1.4 ´01

Opel Vectra 3.2V6 ´01

Citroen Xantia 3.0i V6 Exclusive ´00

Citroen V6 Exclusive ´03

Bmw 120d ´04

Bmw 120i ´04

Renault Megane 2.0 16V ´03

Honda Accord Coupe ´88

Volkswagen Bora V6 4Motion ´01

Honda Civic 1500 3door CX ´79

Nissan Skyline 1500Deluxe (S50D-1) ´63

Opel Tigra 1.6i ´99

Mitsubishi Lancer 1600 GSR ´74

Fiat Panda Super i.e. ´90

Toyota Yaris F (J) ´99

Daihatsu Cuore TR-XX Avanzato R (J) ´97

Alfa Romeo 2.5 V6 24V ´98

Toyota Aristo V300 ´00

Audi A2 1.4 ´02

Eagle Talon Esi ´97

Civic 1500 3door 25i ´83

Mitsubishi Mirage 1400GLX ´78

Toyota Aristo 3.0V ´91

Toyota Carina ED 2.o X 4WS ´89

Nissan Primera 2.0Te ´90

Ford Ka ´01

Mazda MX-5 Miata (NA) ´89

Toyota Altezza AS200 ´98

Nissan Primera 20V (EU) ´01

Nissan EXA Canopy L.A.Version Type S ´88

Nissan March 12c 5door ´03

Audi A3 3.2 quattro ´03

Mazda Demio GL-X ´99

Hyundai Tiburon Turbulence ´99

Mini One ´02

Citroen C3 1.6 ´02

Mazda Protegé ´02

Volvo GLT Estate ´88

Alfa 166 2.5 24V Sportronic ´98

Mazda 6 5-door ´03

Nissan Silvia Q´s (S13) ´88

Peugeot 206 CC ´01

Volkswagen Lupo 1.4 ´02

I'll give a vote to the fully tuned Samba Bus :D

It takes a bit of clutch input to launch properly, the powerband is extremely narrow, requires a lot of suspension work, and is quite unstable under braking, but Subhanallah!

Once properly tuned, it can perform just as good as anything else within the 400-445pp
range, proved by consistently finishing on the podium in a couple of races against race cars and the like :eek:

Also try the Nissan stagea 260rs autechversion '98! It is my drug car because it is an estate for lots of space for Drugs and it can outrun a skyline pace car on acceleration. I only use my drug car in cop lobby's and i always get away

ford taurus sho. 17,986 ucd
got laughed at in an ff street tire room til i decimated lap times

also the pt crusier not sure $ but under 20k for sure

83 honda civic 1500 25i 9,000
420pp on a tight touge course keeps up with and embarasses 500pp cars all on sports hard tires.

Also try the Nissan stagea 260rs autechversion '98! It is my drug car because it is an estate for lots of space for Drugs and it can outrun a skyline pace car on acceleration. I only use my drug car in cop lobby's and i always get away

I do something like that with my Mach1 Mustang. I haul shine though. The tune i mentioned earlier takes well to 200kg in the trunk. It actually helps the rearend slide out. I used to play id come out of the pits get some one on my tail and go around the track back to the pits (provided i dont get caught) take out 50kg and go back.

The '08 Challenger SRT8 ran with the M3 and actually performed the best of any of the newer pony cars. Shocking I can even say this but it's handling was actually pretty good!

Strange, because just about everyone who's compared the modern muscle cars said the Challenger was the slowest and had the worst handling. Of course, most people test the R/T for whatever reason (probably because the SRT-8 costs way more the the Ford and Chevrolet), but come on, the Camaro has just as much power and weighs less.

Back