Unexpectedly Fast Cars & Sleepers

• Thread starter dabest2500
  • 567 comments
I don't think that Vipers or such can't be considered to be wolves in sheep clothes. You see a Viper and know is no sleeper... especially the ACR.

For me, cars that can be considered either sleepers or unexpectedly are these (with my usual trend of keeping them almost stock):

-Mini Countryman Cooper S 215hp, weight reduction 1 and running on Comfort Softs. It's faster than it might suggest due to it's height, and slightly heavier weight than the regular Mini. I can race head to head with much more powerful FF cars. It drives incredibly well too. Plus it has the looks.

-Hyundai Tiburon Turbulence '99 This is probably the best definition of unexpectedly fast cars. Comfort soft tires, glass material change and a few upgrades in the engine to reach a very modest 199HP. Still, it can go against DC2 Integras Type R and similars. It drives very neutral too. Not what you would expect.

-Volkswagen 1200 '66 Another car to be on the look out. Mine is running in Comfort Medium tires and the engine has recieved many upgrates to reach 70hp. Put a custom tranny and you'll be surpriesed on how fast this thing turns. But watch out for the Porsche-like behaviour.

-Nissan Leaf Yes, the Leaf. Despite not being customizable, and having that annoying speed limiter, if you put a sports suspension, lower the weight and adjust the ballast, this car is too much to handle for others that are in the same PP range. Definitely underated by the game.

And there are few others like these.

I like the Countryman as well. Mine has just an oil change, FC suspension (lowered to the maximum, no other changes), and new (dark silver) paint. I love the way it drives, love the way it looks. Finally a Mini I wouldn't be embarassed to drive!

Same with the '99 Tiburon. Mine is fully tuned (but with a semi-racing exhaust for better sound). It's also painted a really depressing shade of gray (it was originally green). 270-280 hp isn't telling the whole story, the handling is incredible and it'll get up to 170 or 180 mph given enough room. There might be no better sleeper in the entire game.

Mini cooper 1.3i '98. Well, what can I say, it's not quick with high rpm and semi racing giving 175bhp but it will give you a go round the nurburgring! This thing corners beautifully and is quick round the corners as well and I prove this by saying I beat a v12 round London with best lap being 59.773 and I went round a track made by someone which is so squiggly I beat an Evo round it by 10secs!

Last edited:
VW R32 has great grip. I havent raced it in any online lobbies yet but it should do well.

Would the Mercedes AMG range count? There are some seriously fast cars in there, the E55 AMG can develop near 850bhp and well over 1000Nm of torque. Doesn't look it :P

The Lexus GS300/Aristo V300 '00 is a good example.

Lexus_GS_300_'00.jpg

Incospicious looks, but the 3L L6 turbo under the hood can give you about 680 HP, and the weight goes down to about 1350 KG.

Plus, the Racing Exhaust isn't too loud, the stock 4 gears are nicely spread and the stock setup for the Racing Suspention is already pretty good.
They'll never see (or even hear) it coming...

The Vertex Edition is pretty much the same deal, but the bodykit gives it a higher performance look.

Lexus_GS_300_Vertex_Edition_(J)_'00.jpg

Last edited:
Racedude
The Lexus GS300/Aristo V300 '00 is a good example.

Incospicious looks, but the 3L L6 turbo under the hood can give you about 680 HP, and the weight goes down to about 1350 KG.

Plus, the Racing Exhaust isn't too loud, the stock 4 gears are nicely spread and the stock setup for the Racing Suspention is already pretty good.
They'll never see (or even hear) it coming...

The Vertex Edition is pretty much the same deal, but the bodykit gives it a higher performance look.

Ahha omg I just came here to say that too. It's a serious monster. I just beat a Mazda rx-7 TC at sarthe with it, 580pp and it has 576pp. Got 200mph on the straights. I will be updating a superb tune for it in the next couple days as it is quite difficult to drive with out it.

Subaru Legacy Touring Wagon GT-B '96. Its a station wagon and it goes quite fast on the straights. Heck, I even use it sometimes on some 500pp Seasonal Events :P

I got the Honda Accord Coupe EX in a shuffle race at the Nordschleife.
That thing drove like a dream.
Maybe it was my low expectations towards a powerful, nose heavy FF, but I won the race.
Taking the victory ahead of an Impreza STI '94.
Great car to drive. Took me by surprize 👍

Suzuki Cappuccino, even fully tuned it still doesnt look as fast as it really is.

Don't...ever...mention...Cappuccino!:grumpy:

I have a friend that has like 15 of them, he destroys us with them and usually without mercy. On tarmac he usually wins, throw it to dirt/snow and he'll even give my Demon Toasters a run for their money. He's probably the only person that can do that!

NOTE: All power numbers below are rounded, may vary with mileage.

'03 Acura CL Type-S
420hp/325ft-lbs
1271kg
The torque curve, despite being naturally aspirated, is nearly as flat as the Audi RS6!:crazy: Falls just short of the '03 Accord EX in top end, but even supercharged the Accord can't match the CL for torque.

'73 Alpine A110
270hp/195ft-lbs
647kg
Bottom line: gives double middle fingers to the Ginetta (superior traction and does it all motor so no turbo torque burst). What car won the very wirst World Rally Championship? The Lancia Stratos picked it up in '74, but that A110 took the gold and forever holds the title as the first international rally champion!

'99 Aston Martin V8 Vantage
965hp/920ft-lbs
1487kg
What V12 Vantage?

'01 Audi RS4
645hp/480ft-lbs
1318kg
Outrageous acceleration, period. 0-60mph in 2.571 seconds, 0-100mph in 5.699 seconds, 1/4-mile 10.391 seconds, doing 190mph at the 1-mile line, over 200mph in under 2 miles, what else do you need to know?

'90 Fiat Panda
185hp/160ft-lbs
661kg
Another Ginetta killer in the right hands. If it's not cornering on 3 wheels, you're doing it wrong.

'00 Fiat Punto Abarth
295hp/215ft-lbs
936kg
No one sees it coming, then everyone only sees its tail lights.

'04 Holden Commodore SS
740hp/720ft-lbs
1349kg
The Thunder From Down Under, it's basically a 4-door sledgehammer that blows past the 200mph mark like nothing.

'98 Mercedes SL500
590hp/625ft-lbs
1358kg
This is kind of the "baby Mercedes" in the lineup. Everyone notices the AMG models, the 600-series V12 cars, and even the later R230 cars before ever looking at the older box-shaped SL500. It's a well-guarded secret that it actually puts the others to shame! The '98 SL500 makes 595hp/555ft-lbs and weighs 1532kg, the '02 SL500 makes 585hp/590ft-lbs and weighs 1388kg, now look at those number above again. I've cleaned house in online races with this car for a long time and it remains one of my most effective sleepers; everyone forgets it in favor of its big brothers and few know it's actually superior to almost every other Mercedes in the standard list!👍

'94 TVR Griffith 500
530hp/475ft-lbs
901kg
Another gem hidden in a lineup of big name names with big engines. Driving skill required, just look at the weight of this thing compared to the power! It easily eats stock high-end supercars for lunch, on more than one occasion I've dusted a 458 and/or Superveloce by more than 10 seconds behind the wheel of my Griffith. This car is like the Ginetta of 500hp!:crazy:

@Enzo_Guy find yourself a low mileage Daihatsu Cuore/Mira Avanzato TR-XX. Guarantee with a good tune on it you will clean coffee boys clock at any PP he wants to run. I've got a pretty good tune for one in my garage if your looking for a good base tune to get you going.👍👍

The Cappucino is highly overrated due to the fact that it can be RM'd but in reality there are a number of Kei cars that are faster than it even if you waste the money on the RM.
Both the Copen and the Cervo are faster/better Kei cars if you want a premium, the AZ-1 will at least hang with it as well and depending on tune and driver may be faster. But the king of the Kei cars is the Daihatsu Cuore/Mira. Only time they might lose to another Kei car is on the Nordschlief or Route X to a max tuned Copen which has a slightly higher top speed.

@Enzo_Guy find yourself a low mileage Daihatsu Cuore/Mira Avanzato TR-XX. Guarantee with a good tune on it you will clean coffee boys clock at any PP he wants to run. I've got a pretty good tune for one in my garage if your looking for a good base tune to get you going.👍👍

The Cappucino is highly overrated due to the fact that it can be RM'd but in reality there are a number of Kei cars that are faster than it even if you waste the money on the RM.
Both the Copen and the Cervo are faster/better Kei cars if you want a premium, the AZ-1 will at least hang with it as well and depending on tune and driver may be faster. But the king of the Kei cars is the Daihatsu Cuore/Mira. Only time they might lose to another Kei car is on the Nordschlief or Route X to a max tuned Copen which has a slightly higher top speed.

We typically run horsepower limits so my 192hp/634kg Cuore is a bit above his class, but it's long been another secret weapon of mine!👍 Although my tune is likely a bit more aggressive than most, I prefer low-travel suspension and most of my work comes from rather extreme alignment; eats tires like a fat kid on cake but in the 1-3 lap sprint races we do my tunes go holy terror on most anything else. The A112, A2, and Vitz RS will all mop the kitchen and the front porch with their power classes.

Under 300hp is where most of my Demon Toasters are found, the arch-nemesis of his Copen has been my Minica Dangan ZZ. That 10,000rpm shriek is one he knows very well. There's also a secret Honda project I've been tuning that should embarass that Copen once completed.👍 I already made him eat dust in an Insight, so he knows anything I touch with a Honda badge is to be feared.

Although he knows not to bring that Copen nonsense around my Vitz RS or Audi A2, they'll both blow the doors off that Cuore!:sly: He also made the mistake once of trying to pick on one of my 1.5L Civics, each over 200hp and barely above 700kg reminded him to keep his kei car on the porch while the bigger dogs are on the track haha!

My collection isn't called the (Demon) Toaster Collection for no reason!

Last edited:
Just to point out - "sleeper" doesnt have anything to do with the PRICE of the vehicle. And I dont think a supra or a ruf could be considered as "sleeper" due to the sporty looks of the car. In finland we have things like stock looking volvo 240 wagon with corvette LS -engine..:ill: From new cars i think the M5 and RS6 are of great examble. For people unfamiliar with the subtle detail differences they seem like a regular premium family saloon - and boy are they taken by surprice.. :sly:

Last edited:
I have to say the FX45.

I mostly use this truck as shock and awe at the nurburgring. If the room is miced up, the comments are so funny.

The truck is blistering fast in a straight line. Nothing will keep up with it in a straight line unless you totally botch the exit of a corner. The straight line speed helps overcome slow cornering speed.

The power of the truck is also a perfect defense against people drafting off you. People are usually shocked when they think they have a run on you, yet the truck just pulls away beating them to the next corner.

Its awd is perfect for grid starts. I can't tell you how many times I rocketed past the field from the back of the grind. Thus avoiding the first corner pileup.

The trucks weight is a plus and minus. If the room is filled with dirty racers, this truck is the best defense. Short of ramming me at full speed under braking, it doesn't move. I have yet to see another car force me out of the racing line.

The downside of all the weight is tirewear. I won't use the truck in rooms with tirewear on or less then race tires. Most times I run Racing Medium tires. Don't even think about using street tires unless the truck is set to the lowest possible PP.

I like to race clean, but there are times in a room I want to destroy. This is the truck to get my revenge with. In a dirty room, I will simply plow my way through the grind. I'll block corners. Force people out of the line. Basically this will be my last race of the night because I'm that pissed off.

I also enjoy the Odyssey. It would piss people off in 500PP rooms because my 485PP minivan is keeping up with them. If I can stay in the draft, I can usually keep up.

I found the Mitsubishi Cyborg and Mazda Protege to be almost as fast at the ITRs. In a not so fast room, I'll use those cars to make it interesting.

In a fast room where the ITRs are crushing everybody, I'll use the RSX type S. Its slightly heavier, but handles just as good and gets more horsepower per PP.

Enzo_Guy
There's also a secret Honda project I've been tuning that should embarass that Copen once completed.👍 I already made him eat dust in an Insight, so he knows anything I touch with a Honda badge is to be feared.

I wonder if this is one of my favourites. If it is the loony car I'm thinking of I hope you get to manage the understeer!

Why not check out the current Car of the Week thread for the 79 Civic, sounds like your thing.👍

Last edited:
Just to point out - "sleeper" doesnt have anything to do with the PRICE of the vehicle.

Agree, a 'sleeper' or 'Q-car' are basically wolves in sheep's clothing and can be found in most price ranges.
They're just unassuming or understated lookswise.

I have been working on a miata for drags and its suprisingly fast. Its expected to be fast in corners and from a roll.

Mazda RX-8. One of the most underrated cars EVER. I drove the one in the new dealerships, it's an awesome drift car. Can slide on par with its overrated FD RX-7 cousins (no offense :)). It took me more than 1 month just to get the drift tune right :crazy::ouch: but once I got it right, it's very rewarding 👍👍

I wonder if this is one of my favourites. If it is the loony car I'm thinking of I hope you get to manage the understeer!

Why not check out the current Car of the Week thread for the 79 Civic, sounds like your thing.👍

Definitely not, the one I'm jazzing up is MR, I'm more trying to get it to stop oversteering!

Honda Beat (any model) !!

That tiny little MR Kei-Car beast is soo awesome 👍

Loved this car at the Kei-seasonals cause it was the fastest one round there (I think I have a 2:39 Video of the Eifel-Race).... atleast for me :D

Back