Unpopular Motorsport Opinions

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 1,954 comments
This is surely going to rile a few people up.

Barely dressed women for sexual appeal are pointless in any motorsport. When your series is looking for sexual appeal to create crowd engagement, you've made a mistake in your racing. The WEC has gone the right way in abolishing the pre-race grid girls because it should be the cars and the drivers on show.
Agreed 100%.

There's nothing wrong with having grid girls. I would say that maybe the don't need to be dressed like they're at the beach, but I wouldn't have any issue with a Hugo Boss model in a classy/sexy outfit being a grid girl for a Merc F1 car.

It's not necessary is all forms of racing, but certainly for open top cars and bikes, where the driver can be sat on the grid in very hot conditions, having someone to hold an umbrella over them is very nice to have. If an amateur driver wants his girlfriend or wife to do it, so be it. If a professional team wants to pay a a model to stand next to their car (they do it in commercials, adds, shows, everywhere) and hold an umbrella, so be it.

That said, I've watched a lot of racing over the years where the camera guys get extra creepy with some of their angles. And then there's the random weirdos with their cell phones. But that doesn't mean the grid girls need to go, people need to be less creepy :lol:

Er, why? Bringing your own chair is entirely essential to most tracks that aren't ovals. I wouldn't stand all day, that's for sure.

That's what grandstands are for. I'm not sure if it's an issue in Canada but at UK tracks people are taking their furniture (including full tents) and placing it right up against the fence to reserve the best views for the whole day whilst they walk off and do other things.

That's what grandstands are for. I'm not sure if it's an issue in Canada but at UK tracks people are taking their furniture (including full tents) and placing it right up against the fence to reserve the best views for the whole day whilst they walk off and do other things.
What about tracks that don't have any grandstands at all, ie Lime Rock Park?

I think anime themed liveries are awful.
I don't see anything "artistic" or nice in them. For me it just feels like people only thought how to grab the center of attention with their livery and their final conclusion was, that slapping some random anime chick (preferably with neon colored hair) all over the car was the best way to achieve it.

I don't see anything "artistic" or nice in them. For me it just feels like people only thought how to grab the center of attention with their livery and their final conclusion was, that slapping some random anime chick (preferably with neon colored hair) all over the car was the best way to achieve it.
Ya...teams put anime characters on their cars because they want the attention....it couldn't possibly be that the car is sponsored by a company who is associated with an anime character (like Hakuni Mitsu). And in that case, the "random anime chick" is only random to you, because you don't know who it is. To people who know it, it's not random at all.

The hybrid engines have been Scapegoated out of F1.
Have they, really? But it seems Todt reaffirms the inroads of electrics into the PU. So does this possibly leave the door open for the electric supercharger?

Because everyone knows that the real purpose of a livery is artistic expression.

What I mean is that the engines have been changed when they are not the problem.
But have they been changed? What to?

The current engine formula has produced reliable, powerful and safe PU's. No questions there.

Yet two problems remain: sound and weight. Fans (and so circuit owners and race promoters) seem to be disappointed with the sound. And the cars are heavier than they have been since 1951 due to the enormous batteries and ERS carried onboard. I will concede these may not be the two biggest problems with F1. Maybe it's Mercedes domination that is the biggest problem? Demographics? But I don't really know.

Last edited:

Barely dressed women for sexual appeal are pointless in any motorsport. When your series is looking for sexual appeal to create crowd engagement, you've made a mistake in your racing. The WEC has gone the right way in abolishing the pre-race grid girls because it should be the cars and the drivers on show.
Is this what they call fake news?:sly:

You do realize that the point of most liveries is to promote a product, not to be "artistically nice", right? Just look at this year's NASCAR grid to see the dullness brought on by sponsor-controlled designs. And as a general rule, anime liveries (proper name itasha, which translates to painful car for what it's worth) are sponsored by anime companies to promote their product. Just like how a NAPA sponsored car will have a massive NAPA logo on the side, an anime sponsored car will have a massive anime girl on the side.

That said, itasha liveries are all over the map. You have intricate designs which are about as artistic as you'll see on a race car, like this:
TAS-06.jpg

And then you have ones that look like they just slapped on some anime girls as an afterthought like this:
014.jpg

The first is good. The second looks like something straight out of the Forza livery market. But you could also pull 2 non-anime themed liveries out at random, and 1 would probably be aesthetically pleasing and the other would be garbage as well.

V10 engines sound bad in comparison to V8/V12/V16 F1 engines.

I didn't think this was oddball but everyone else (About four people on a single GT6 thread!) seems to think that a V10 engine sounds like a 'Choir of Angels' when it revs up.

A puny 1.5 litre V16 BRM revving away gives me the chills, a V10 sounds like a bag of spanners thrown into a spin dryer in comparison.

There must be a scientific reason V10's sound bad - Something Musical and to do with harmonics and exhaust back pressure and such like.

All V10s have a Howling sound like 5 cylinders do(hear a 5 cylinder and you will see what I mean by it sounding very much like a V10), it's to do with the timing of the crank, you would probably get similar from a 15 or 20 cylinder engine.

I liked the sound, but i also like 5 cylinder sounds as well so go figure.

Flatplane V8s used in F1 after on the other hand, to me sound completely generic in comparison.

The V10 sounds great at around 14,000rpm, once they get over that they don't sound that great, my favorite sounding engine was the former ChampCar engine, it just made this pleasant methanol injected hum with a turbo scream underneath it, anything louder or higher revving then that just sounds like Chris Evans in top gear, just shouty

Ryk

I didn't think this was oddball but everyone else (About four people on a single GT6 thread!) seems to think that a V10 engine sounds like a 'Choir of Angels' when it revs up.

A puny 1.5 litre V16 BRM revving away gives me the chills, a V10 sounds like a bag of spanners thrown into a spin dryer in comparison.

There must be a scientific reason V10's sound bad - Something Musical and to do with harmonics and exhaust back pressure and such like.

Part of the undeniable charm of the BRM V-16 is its centrifugal supercharger, spinning at 70,000 rpm.

Of the low-revving 2.5 liter F1 era, I think the best sounds were from the Lancia/Ferrari V-8 and the 2.4 Ferrari Dino V-6.

From the 3.0 liter era, by far my favorite is the V-12 Matra. No other V-12 will do.

The factor of the turbo is a big deal in affecting sound. It is lessened, made worse, IMO.

Some scientific factors affecting sound:
RPM
Number of pistons
Displacement
Crankshaft geometry
Firing order
Exhaust system length, diameter and configuration
Supercharger type and bypass, if any
spur gear cam drive

There's probably more factors like included angle of vee, if any.

Ryk

The 1.5L BRM V16 is a beastly unit, no doubt about that, and it does sound amazing, but I don't think it's the best sounding engine (an unpopular opinion in similar measure I suppose), at least not as good as a howling V10.

In general I do love 5 and 10 cylinder engines, due to their unique sound. And a high-revving version, particularly a screaming V10 is something to behold :eek:. One of the best engine sounds you can get IMO.

A howling a V10 gives me the chills, in the same way a mad BRM V16 does for many. One of the very best sounding V10's for me is Ilmor made Merc unit's in the Mclaren MP4-15 and 16, as it had more of a unique tone to it compared to all the other V10's in F1 at the time. And at full chat it sounds divine...

Last edited:
Ryk

I wouldn't say all V10s, but the later F1 V10s sounded really bad to me too, but I also hated the modern V8 F1 engines.
Which brings us on topic: I like the sound of the current F1 V6 more than the V8 engines from the past decade or so.

EDIT:

I like this post! :cheers:

McLaren orange is as overrated as Gulf.
When done properly it can be good. They've just got the wrong shade at the moment. Alonso's Indycar is more correct than the F1 car, but it still needs some other designs on it.

Not riled, I just don't think your reasoning holds water.

Plenty of series' that have Grid Girls also have appealing cars and great racing!... man I hate it when British Motorsport fans diss the BTCC.

Why would being "pointless" single out young women for exclusion from motorsport when fairground rides, fly pasts, stunt demos, marching bands, live bands, manufacturer stands and the rest of the rich tapestry that is a race weekend, that also have no bearing on the cars or drivers, are not similarly be excluded?

And let's consider again this "pointless" comment. Grid Girls get photographed... Grid Girls where team and/or Series sponsorship... the relevance then of a promotional Grid Girl should be fairly obvious.

I'd also like to add, I am/have been "friends" (i.e. only on Facebook) with a number of Grid Girls, and if you've got some kind of stereotypical idea in your head about who these people are, you probably shouldn't - I suspect none of them would appreciate their opportunity to earn money doing something fun and a bit glamorous on the weekends as "pointless".

Clearly there must be an event you have in mind that's pissed you off, because outside of F1, BTCC and MotoGP I can't think of many venues that get busy enough for this to be a problem

I'm in two minds about this though...

Grandstand capacity at venues at all UK circuits is less than occupancy capacity - with the possible practical exception of Rockingham, so in simple terms - you could blame the circuits for not offering a seat to every person they sold a ticket to, but in any case, it's bonkers to suggest an increase in ticket price because someone would like to be able to sit down during 8 hours in the baking sun - or how about pouring rain, when people put umbrellas up that take up as much space and obscure your view even further.. would you want a brolly tax too?

Having said that, If they are not actually in their seat or fence side tent, then I don't think there's actually anything to stop you from taking that place for yourself - at worst just sit in their chair until they come back, or just stand in front of it whilst they are not there. If someone merely placed a "reserved" sign on the fence, you'd ignore it, a chair is no different.

Tents I agree are taking the piss a bit, an additional charge for trackside shelters bigger than a large sunshade or brolly would be fair, and a ban on anything that could class as a tent would be okay with me at many events - but then of course you're relying on crowd stewards to police it - which might be hit or miss.. but maybe still a better option.

Not riled, I just don't think your reasoning holds water.

Plenty of series' that have Grid Girls also have appealing cars and great racing!... man I hate it when British Motorsport fans diss the BTCC.

Why would being "pointless" single out young women for exclusion from motorsport when fairground rides, fly pasts, stunt demos, marching bands, live bands, manufacturer stands and the rest of the rich tapestry that is a race weekend, that also have no bearing on the cars or drivers, are not similarly be excluded?

And let's consider again this "pointless" comment. Grid Girls get photographed... Grid Girls where team and/or Series sponsorship... the relevance then of a promotional Grid Girl should be fairly obvious.

I'd also like to add, I am/have been "friends" (i.e. only on Facebook) with a number of Grid Girls, and if you've got some kind of stereotypical idea in your head about who these people are, you probably shouldn't - I suspect none of them would appreciate their opportunity to earn money doing something fun and a bit glamorous on the weekends as "pointless".

Clearly there must be an event you have in mind that's pissed you off, because outside of F1, BTCC and MotoGP I can't think of many venues that get busy enough for this to be a problem

I'm in two minds about this though...

Grandstand capacity at venues at all UK circuits is less than occupancy capacity - with the possible practical exception of Rockingham, so in simple terms - you could blame the circuits for not offering a seat to every person they sold a ticket to, but in any case, it's bonkers to suggest an increase in ticket price because someone would like to be able to sit down during 8 hours in the baking sun - or how about pouring rain, when people put umbrellas up that take up as much space and obscure your view even further.. would you want a brolly tax too?

Having said that, If they are not actually in their seat or fence side tent, then I don't think there's actually anything to stop you from taking that place for yourself - at worst just sit in their chair until they come back, or just stand in front of it whilst they are not there. If someone merely placed a "reserved" sign on the fence, you'd ignore it, a chair is no different.

Tents I agree are taking the piss a bit, an additional charge for trackside shelters bigger than a large sunshade or brolly would be fair, and a ban on anything that could class as a tent would be okay with me at many events - but then of course you're relying on crowd stewards to police it - which might be hit or miss.. but maybe still a better option.
You do realise that this conversation is about a month old. Could have come up with your own unpopular opinions instead but each to their own.

You do realise that this conversation is about a month old. Could have come up with your own unpopular opinions instead but each to their own.

So... what.. the fact it's a month old affects the validity of your statements... how.. exactly? Does that somehow render them un-comment-on-able? Weak defence of your point of view is weak.

Back