Unpopular Motorsport Opinions

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 1,953 comments
Very different Formula though.

Why did this make me think of James Hunt? :D
Might be different but just because it's closed-cockpit doesn't make it no the same as it was before (unless I'm reading your comment differently than intended)

Remember when the main LMP was only open cockpit and then evolved into closed cockpit only?

Might be different but just because it's closed-cockpit doesn't make it no the same as it was before (unless I'm reading your comment differently than intended)

Remember when the main LMP was only open cockpit and then evolved into closed cockpit only?
Sports cars have switched between open and closed cockpits numerous times over the years.

Sports cars have switched between open and closed cockpits numerous times over the years.
Correct and I was looking forward to a return to the 'open cockpit days' for the top two tiers.

Chances of that happening now? Remote at best :indiff:

Correct and I was looking forward to a return to the 'open cockpit days' for the top two tiers.

Chances of that happening now? Remote at best :indiff:
They usually swap between open and closed every 10-years or so.

If I remember correctly, the conception of the LMP division was always originally meant to be open-cockpit, closed-cockpit didn't suddenly change in sportscars unlike the change from Group C to LMP, and only began in 1999 as the GT1 division was dropped and became LMGTP which was a separate category until 2006 when both open and closed were able to compete in the same umbrella and then open got eventually banned in LMP1 in 2014 for safety and in LMP2 in 2017, with only LMPC being the only open sports cars left but are dying this year in the main stage.

This time it is a slow occurance with no future plans to re-open the cockpit.

Making Open Wheelers Closed Wheel might actually save more lives then a closed cockpit(or Halo)

The Biggest dangers from an open cockpit come from what isn't covered in the wheel area (as in the suspension and tyre) as that is what is moving the fastest from the car, if you have a closed Wheel the tyres trjactory is going to be more predictable most of the time(could even be improved with tethers if they are still using pushrod suspension) and suspention components can't fly behind or infront as they will be contained in the wheel arch(can also apply to tyres when they are shredding that will stay in the wheel arch).

It would of Helped in Massa's case and even Sennas.

Of course you get Justin Wilsons case which it wouldn't of helped though.

Not sure how unpopular this one is, an I'm not horribly well versed in Formula One, but I absolutly abhor Circuit of the Americas. i don't knos if I just haven't driven it enough to learn it properly, or what, but I just don't enjoy driving it. Something about it just doesn't seem to flow well. That and the design just seems so...typical...for modern F1. I know of some of the other designs from Hermann Tilke, and they all sort of just mesh together; none of his designs feel all that unique.

Not sure how unpopular this one is, an I'm not horribly well versed in Formula One, but I absolutly abhor Circuit of the Americas. i don't knos if I just haven't driven it enough to learn it properly, or what, but I just don't enjoy driving it. Something about it just doesn't seem to flow well. That and the design just seems so...typical...for modern F1. I know of some of the other designs from Hermann Tilke, and they all sort of just mesh together; none of his designs feel all that unique.

I don't like it, not only because it is a fairly typical F1 track where other more interesting American tracks exist (but never go up to the exacting standards of F1) but I also don't like it because it serves as a sort of beacon to the increasing gentrification of the Austin area, among other things.

https://endofaustin.com/2014/05/22/pole-position-walking-formula-one-in-east-austin/

My problem with CotA is that it feels way too similar to Turkey. I know F1 doesn't go to Turkey anymore but CotA could've been something else.

However I'd rather race in CotA exclusively than even attempt to try Road America (which sadly I had to V8 Supercars 2, and I didn't enjoy any race that I had to do Road America).

I don´t know if this is considered unpopular but Fernando Alonso deserves a seat in Ferrari or Mercedes and Kimi Räkköninen should have retired after 2014

I don´t know if this is considered unpopular but Fernando Alonso deserves a seat in Ferrari or Mercedes

He's had both (well, McLaren-Mercedes championship contender before the works team existed) and blew both opportunities out. McLaren-Mercedes could have won the constructor's championship in 2007 without the actions of Briatore and Alonso.

I too think there's just no flow to the track. Having seen it in action at MotoGP, the contrast to tracks like Mugello and Assen is painfully obvious. It's like the circuit is trying to be really fast and revolutionary, but the execution didn't work too well.

Prost > Senna.

Senna was a natural genius, the fastest guy of his era and arguably ever. However he was too aggressive and took too many risks and as a driver, Prost was all-round more complete and as a team boss I would hire him over Senna.

McLaren should have stayed with Honda instead of switching to Renault.
Curious about this. The deal with Honda makes McLaren fall harder than before in recent memory. They're performing similar to the likes of HRT and Caterham when they are around now, it definitely is not what the team wants and Honda has had a lot of chances to improve.

I just don't think Honda was given enough time. They were making gains, and while the reliability isn't there just yet, that would have (hopefully) been improved for next season. Had it not been for a complete redesign of the engine which caused some vibrations issues (which yes, should have been picked up by Honda on the dyno), they would arguably have been fighting for points this year if they made the same gain from 2015 to end of 2016. I think this year's problems are only down to the change in paths for the engine. Maybe abandoning the Size Zero philosophy was needed, but it's not showing right now.

Moving to Renault doesn't make them championship contenders. It just makes them the best of the rest. The reliability isn't a massive step up either. I just feel like staying with Honda, whilst it would hurt in the short term, would play out well in the long. Honda has the help of Ilmor now, and the fruits of that partnership are showing (Spa and Monza Qualifying). I just feel that Red Bull will take the Honda engine for the 2019 season after assessing it on the Torro Rosso in 2018, and probably win a championship by 2021.

It has currently been 3 years, McLaren can't afford risking another season with them, especially when money is concerned.
And the gain from 2015 to 2016 was massive, but then they completely redisgned the engine, abandoning the Size Zero philosophy. That likely caused some problems, resulting in the vibrations that have plagued them for the season. They've essentially gone back to square one for this season. I think that 2019 would have been more than enough time.

And it's not like McLaren would be struggling for money if they stuck it out for another season at least. I just can't imagine a team as big as McLaren going bankrupt or being tight on money as a result of a couple of lean seasons.

I did see a light at the end of a tunnel for McLaren-Honda, whether or not it was an actual light, will never be known now.

It has currently been 3 years, McLaren can't afford risking another season with them, especially when money is concerned.
What happens when the Renault engine (the worse of the main three) turns out badly as well? It's an incompetence of McLaren at fault here. The incompetence of Honda fits them well.

What happens when the Renault engine (the worse of the main three) turns out badly as well? It's an incompetence of McLaren at fault here. The incompetence of Honda fits them well.
It's an engine that multiple teams use, so it has a higher chance of doing better than beating the main three engine teams using Honda.

And the gain from 2015 to 2016 was massive, but then they completely redisgned the engine, abandoning the Size Zero philosophy. That likely caused some problems, resulting in the vibrations that have plagued them for the season. They've essentially gone back to square one for this season. I think that 2019 would have been more than enough time.

And it's not like McLaren would be struggling for money if they stuck it out for another season at least. I just can't imagine a team as big as McLaren going bankrupt or being tight on money as a result of a couple of lean seasons.

I did see a light at the end of a tunnel for McLaren-Honda, whether or not it was an actual light, will never be known now.

Sounds to me like the whole relationship between McLaren and Honda has soured beyond the possibility of reconciliation, even if this year they've been more competitive, if not much more reliable.

As it's been pointed out, there's nothing to say that next seasons Renault unit is going to be any better, but at least it's just a 3 year deal. Gives McLaren plenty of time to find a competitive power-unit partner for when the new engine regs come into play.

As it's been pointed out, there's nothing to say that next seasons Renault unit is going to be any better, but at least it's just a 3 year deal. Gives McLaren plenty of time to find a competitive power-unit partner for when the new engine regs come into play.
McLaren is interested in building their own engines in 2021, provided the cost of doing so doesn't spiral out of control. Of course, that's still a long way out so who knows what would become of that by then.

I miss the Valencia Street Circuit

Yeah, it was awful, and I'd probably moan if it came back because the race would be awful and boring, but that doesn't mean I don't miss it. The circuit was at least painted to look good, and the backdrop was decent.

I don't want it back, but I'd like it back. Probably until I saw the race then berated it to go away, but yeah...

Not exactly the clearest post in the history of GTPlanet is it?

Back