Unpopular Motorsport Opinions

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 1,950 comments
In all fairness, you are better qualified than me to judge how much of an issue comes down to training, experience, or simply common sense - however being volunteers shouldn't really alter the attitude towards their ability and competency - and, I really apologise in advance for how this will sound - but physical fitness too.

My issues with marshals however, aren't based so much on competency as they are attitudes and experiences - and I know from past history that even a paying spectator with common sense will always be trumped by someone in an orange jumpsuit "giving up their time"... hence I've posted this in the unpopular opinions thread.
Which is a totally fair point, and it would have been better if the reasoning was posted with the first mention.

Anyway, some of my unpopular opinions.
-Drivers switching cars in an FE race is a good USP for the series for the moment. Obviously, when they can get rid of it, it will be good, but it's another element that you don't see in other series'.

-The current volume of Formula One cars is perfect. The old V8's, V10's and V12's were too loud.

-Suzuka is terrible.

-The new Hockenheim produces much better racing than the old blast through the trees.

-HRT produced some of the best liveries of modern times in F1.

-Neal, Plato and all the rest of the BTCC drivers need to be penalised more for their childish bumping and track limits abuse that filters into club racing and ruins it for everyone there who are then penalised harshly for moves they've seen on TV being called "great racing".

-Oval courses should not have infield circuits, as they are almost always completely hopeless.

-Singapore is a brilliant circuit and F1 race.

And finally - I support Lewis Hamilton on track, but away from the circuit he is a complete and utter 🤬

Which is a totally fair point, and it would have been better if the reasoning was posted with the first mention.

Didn't particularly want to dwell on it, and I do appreciate that in general it's a topic that should be treated with respect, but I didn't/don't really have the time at the moment to give the topic the paragraphs it deserves. No hard feelings 👍

but away from the circuit he is a complete and utter 🤬

Completely outshone by his brother IMHO.

-Oval courses should not have infield circuits, as they are almost always completely hopeless.

It makes sense from a business perspective as it allows you to expand your clientele by having non-oval club events, track days and other things of that nature. I agree that they don't make for good racing though and probably shouldn't be used for events higher than the club level.

Formula E is exceedingly awkward in every little way.

V8 Supercars or whatever it's called today is a slog to watch, and while they can race closer and cleaner than nearly every other series, this is rarely displayed because they're all on entirely different tyre/fuel strategies and are never racing together in an equal setup at the same time, aside from the very start and end of the race. Passes are devalued when Driver A is driving around Driver B running his own race.

BTCC appears to be in a healthy position but driving standards are plummeting faster than lemmings off a cliff, all over the field. The series that should be doing so well is cringeworthy and laughable now the majority of the time.

Every LMP2 car on every grid is a waste of tarmac.

Again, Daytona Prototypes are best prototypes.

All airfield-based tracks are crap

Last edited:
Indycar, for as much as I love it, will be forever doomed to irrelevance in North American motorsport.

Also, The Indy 500 is overrated as an event and a "Spectacle".

Plus, Auto Racing as a whole will never achieve mainstream appeal in North America's sporting markets. Ever.

Max Verstappen is a kid who got lucky and will be out of F1 before he reaches 25 years of age.

Speaking of which, RedBull's "Young Driver Academy" is poorly run and is better suited for a reality TV show than a actual drivers agency.

Lewis Hamilton's championships have been almost as dependent on his cars than Sebastian Vettel's.

Outside of the Road Races NASCAR is dull as dishwater.

Too many so called "motorsport fans" are cry babies who spend way too much time focused on the negative, thinking people actually care about "what they don't like".

There is not a bad track on the F1 calander.

Silverstone is better than it's ever been (as a track, can't comment about spectator facilities).

New Hockenheim is better than old Hockenheim.

New Fuji is better than old Fuji (ok maybe not the original, but the new version is better than any other version post-banking).

As a whole, V8 Supercars is the best car racing series on the planet right now.

As pure entertainment, any racing series on 2 wheels is 100x better than the 4 wheeled equivelent.

F1 drivers are not the best racecar drivers in the world.

F1 would be better off without pit stops.

Hamilton and Rosberg deserve each other.

Hamilton is way over rated. A decent driver, yes. Top 3 in his era, yes. Worthless era with mostly worthless competition, especially since his move to Merc.

Most F1 championships are worthless since most were won with a supperior car, maybe with a teamate as the only competition.

America has the best racetracks in the world.

Formula E is awful in almost every way. I totally appreciate that alternatively powered Motorsport will definitely be a thing, and I guess it has to start somewhere, but to me virtually every element of it is just different for differents sake. Temporary street circuits produce terrible racing. A whole series that races just on street circuits is a terrible, terrible idea. Treaded road car tyres on a large winged single seater makes zero sense. Swapping cars over half way, although obviously required, is clunky and just exposes electric power as the limited solution that it currently is. No pun intended. Add to that you have half a field of failed F1 drivers and the other half made up of well funded journeymen who didn't have quite enough talent or quite enough funding - these are guys who aren't going anywhere. Such a series should have up and coming talent, not has-beens and never-were-going-to-bes.

Such a series should have up and coming talent, not has-beens and never-were-going-to-bes.
But it's been shown that the up and coming talent haven't been too good with these cars, and the more experienced drivers are better.
Drivers like Cerrutti, Rowland, Leimer, Fontana and Brabham have jumped in and struggled, while people like Vergne, Speed, Duval and Conway have jumped in and excelled.
Frijns and Felix da Costa appear to be exceptions rather than the rule there.

Formula E is awful in almost every way. I totally appreciate that alternatively powered Motorsport will definitely be a thing, and I guess it has to start somewhere, but to me virtually every element of it is just different for differents sake. Temporary street circuits produce terrible racing. A whole series that races just on street circuits is a terrible, terrible idea. Treaded road car tyres on a large winged single seater makes zero sense. Swapping cars over half way, although obviously required, is clunky and just exposes electric power as the limited solution that it currently is. No pun intended. Add to that you have half a field of failed F1 drivers and the other half made up of well funded journeymen who didn't have quite enough talent or quite enough funding - these are guys who aren't going anywhere. Such a series should have up and coming talent, not has-beens and never-were-going-to-bes.
Which FE races are you referring to in regards to "terrible racing"? I haven't seen a bad FE race yet....more than I can say for pretty much every other series put there

But it's been shown that the up and coming talent haven't been too good with these cars, and the more experienced drivers are better.

Experienced drivers, especially with their experience of making the most of largely awful back end of the grid cars, doing well in FE comes as no real surprise. A whole grid of young talent would have been better than letting the marketing dept promote the series off the back of a bunch of relatively well known names. At least it would have been a relatively level playing field.

Formula E is exceedingly awkward in every little way.

V8 Supercars or whatever it's called today is a slog to watch, and while they can race closer and cleaner than nearly every other series, this is rarely displayed because they're all on entirely different tyre/fuel strategies and are never racing together in an equal setup at the same time, aside from the very start and end of the race. Passes are devalued when Driver A is driving around Driver B running his own race.

BTCC appears to be in a healthy position but driving standards are plummeting faster than lemmings off a cliff, all over the field. The series that should be doing so well is cringeworthy and laughable now the majority of the time.

All airfield-based tracks are crap
Cleveland in CART was a pretty good track for racing.

F1 is a snoozefest.

NASCAR's Chase is a good idea, but needs some tweaks.

Brian France isn't as bad as everyone says.

Juan Pablo Montoya may be the greatest driver of all time, he has just never had the backing to truly excell, especially in F1 and Nascar.

I dunno about that. He seemed to have had the backing in F1 for the first few years. The main problem was that he entered the sport when all but one of the teams might as well have not shown up every weekend.

Nissan's LMP project was a success.

drink

That's not really my opinion though, the idea of an FF LMP1 car was nifty, but the car was just unreliable.

I dunno about that. He seemed to have had the backing in F1 for the first few years. The main problem was that he entered the sport when all but one of the teams might as well have not shown up every weekend.
Mypoint exactly, I bet he'd have beat Schumacher more often in equal machinery.

-The Nürburgring Nordschleife is a great hot lapping track, but terrible from a racing standpoint.

-Ganassi's NASCAR team will never be a consistent frontrunner.

-Unless its form improves massively, I don't see Roush-Fenway Racing continuing beyond the end of 2017, and I think SHR will smoke (Heh...) them next year in the race for second best Ford team behind Penske.

-Speaking of Penske, this should probably be Helio Castroneves' last full-time season.

-Ferrari was right to re-sign Kimi for one more year.

-The 1979-Present Spa-Francorchamps is more challenging/entertaining than the original long layout.

-Given his win-it-or-bin-it approach, Colin McRae was lucky to have one WRC title.

-For some reason I don't like Montoya and Mansell, and I always keep those two in my personal list of overrated drivers

-The Ferrari 641/2 looks kinda stupid (but for some reason I love it)

-The silver Mclaren Mercedes livery is a pain to watch, Marlboro or even the current livery are way better

-F1 cars from 2000 to 2009 is somehow the worst-looking-cars era

-Some 80s/90s italian F1 drivers like Ivan Capelli or Michele Alboreto are way too underrated

-V12>V10

-I'm happy with Kimi at Ferrari for the 2017 season

-I hate this compulsive obsession with Senna, it makes me sick

-Yas Marina circuit is a nice and suggestive track

-IF we get Imola instead of Monza next year I would be happy, extremely happy

-The circuit of La Sarthe is kinda boring

-The 787B Renown livery looks like garbage

•COTA is the biggest piece of 🤬 in motorsports history.

• Lewis Hamilton is not an all time great.

• formula one is a massive joke.

Last edited by a moderator:
Suggestive of what, exactly? I know that the hotel looks like a giant pulsating alien penis, especially at night, but I'm not sure if that's what you went.

And I really wish that I could go just one day without having to say "giant pulsating alien penis".

I like it as a night track and it has some interesting sections, like the little tunnel at the exit of the pit lane, I agree on the gian pulsating penis, but I never tought about it in that way :P

So I spotted a few that interest me and / or I was going to mention, suppose i'll quote them and highlight them in bold here:
- Formula One would be better off sticking to the traditional tracks until Tilke knows how to build a new track with a better success rate. Sepang and Istanbul do not make up for the other crap tracks. I'd rather see a 12 race championship with a concentration of good tracks than a 20 race championship with lots of crap, filler tracks.

Yes yes yes. Cut's happen until either A:) Bernie releases the teams are out of money and even then they will B:) Be ignored or C:) Bernie would cut the older tracks first.

- The GT3 class will fail within 10 years without major regulation changes.

100% agreed, the costs are spiraling out of control.

- DP are the best looking Prototypes right now and I will surely miss them

- National Championships should only have 1 - 5 Manufacturers

- The Driver Championship barely matters in Sportscar Racing

- The naming of IndyCar and SportsCar is stupid

- The Monaco GP should be canned

- Senna is overrated

- 2000s GT1 needs to come back

- LMP2 was terrible to begin with, and was a cluster:censored:

- Silverstone is a horrible race track

-I wouldn't even call a DP a prototype. It's more like a stock car with a GT aero kit.

-Makes represented or actual involvement?

-Whats stupid about Indycar and Sportscars, any more so than "Formula 1" or "Grand Touring?"

-Monaco? Why?

-Agreed, Senna is held in legend circles more because he died.

-You got it, its pretty much GT3 now.

-LMP2 was terrible but that's because no-one could build a car properly. LMP675 was always an attrition race.

-Silverstone in it's new layout is hideous.

Alonso is/was on a different level to every other driver on the F1 grid, I don't think anyone was close to him in terms of skill.

Could not agree more. Years ago I disliked Alonso with his attitude but I like the way he approaches things now and he's got a much more mature head than he used to have. He's also to me the best pure skill driver, he'd be winning races in a Red Bull or Ferrari this year I think.

• WTCC isn't all that great.
  • WRC shouldn't go back to Group B cars.

~Agreed. To me WTCC is a Grade #1 snoozefest.

~Group B? How many fatalities do you want? Also the new WRC cars next year are faster than Group B....

- Diesel cars should be banned from motorsports.

-Why?

-F1 tracks are almost all entirely garbage.
-Tracks designed with F1 in mind are equally terrible.

100% agreed.

-Suzuka is terrible.

-HRT produced some of the best liveries of modern times in F1.

-Neal, Plato and all the rest of the BTCC drivers need to be penalised more for their childish bumping and track limits abuse that filters into club racing and ruins it for everyone there who are then penalised harshly for moves they've seen on TV being called "great racing".

And finally - I support Lewis Hamilton on track, but away from the circuit he is a complete and utter 🤬

-Finally someone who agrees with me that Suzuka is over-hyped.

-"This could be YOU!" Awesome livery.

-10 years ago I would have agreed totally with you on the BTCC, looking back through my season reviews (started 1998, up to 2009 now) I was aghast at some of the punting taking place. Nowadays I'd say it's pretty much spot-on. There's contact, there's rubbing, but I haven't seen anything in last few years that has really made me go "this is totally stupid". Neal still likes to get involved in a dust up or two but Plato has totally mellowed... which brings me to another point i'll mention below.

-I liked Lewis in his McLaren days, the whinging primadonna that drives now I don't care for especially off track.

-V8s can produce decent racing but are dying, partly through economics and mis-management.

-Laughable? Where?

-EVERY LMP2? You mean the class that is now the most popular car class for sportscars worldwide?

-Except they are not prototypes.

And onto mine:

~1: Michael Schumacher isn't as famous as he could be. Why? Because unlike Senna he isn't dead. People gain a certain image and legend about them after death, and with zero disrespect intended towards anyone, I hear more things said about a guy who lets face it, just pedalled around back of the grid in a terrible car (Bianchi) than someone who's a 7 time world champion (with quite a chequered history on track as well, very Senna-like).

~2: BTCC Bias. @MatskiMonk @Jimlaad43 I alluded to this earlier. When Plato or Neal now just touch a car or nudge someone the internet explodes with "DIRTY PLATO / NEAL". When the exact same move is pulled by Aron Smith, Josh Cook, Ash Sutton or anyone else it's "GREAT RACING". I say this however as 2016 has been for my opinion, cleaner than 2015.

~3: DTM are not touring cars.

~4: WRC needs to go to a RWD class for road cars.

~5: Aside from GT(E)LM class, the IMSA Series is a joke.

~6: GWC finishes in NASCAR were a good idea.

-Whats stupid about Indycar and Sportscars, any more so than "Formula 1" or "Grand Touring?"
The god awful punctuation, it's Indycar/Sportscar or Indy car/Sport car, not 🤬 IndyCar/SportsCar.

-Monaco? Why?

-Agreed, Senna is held in legend circles more because he died.

-You got it, its pretty much GT3 now.

-LMP2 was terrible but that's because no-one could build a car properly. LMP675 was always an attrition race.

-Silverstone in it's new layout is hideous.
- Already discussed it in detail in the F1 Calender Development thread but in short. I think the track is really outdated, the racing completely sucks (only really was decent this year due to pit errors which can happen anywhere), and the only reason it is still around is because of the history and spectacle. It's a race that is stuck in the past and I think it needs to be ley go.

- I disagree, GTE is closest to GT1 but still not there. Outside of some GT3 elements that got carried over from GT1, costs and lap times, they aren't the same.

-Except they are not prototypes.
I disagree on that, technology wise is outdated but design concept wise is pretty unique and can be seen as a throwback to the Group C car designs.

~3: DTM are not touring cars.
Well they aren't, they are silhouette touring cars.

Back