Unpopular Motorsport Opinions

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 1,954 comments
If you think Vettel's win at Monza in 2008 was unimpressive, you're simply wrong.

You can't say "Nope, someone else would have done that" every time. You've got to give people their dues.
Sebastian Bourdais literally qualified in P4, that car was dominant at Monza

Yes, because Lewis is the better driver who did not make any mistakes. So hard to grasp for you?

damn it’s so hard to get away from all these Vettel fanboys

Just goes to show this guy has no idea what he's talking about
Sure thing buddy, whenever someone doesn’t have the same opinion as you this is the **** you come up with. Laughable. Keep supporting Finger Boi who’ll get destroyed by Lance next season.

Any driver could have done what he did but not every driver did that, he did. And if you want to compare it to Maldonado's win, that's absurd. Vettel backed up a fluke win with further success, Maldonado didn't

lmao what a garbage argument is this. Vettel had the best car for 5 straight seasons after that while Maldonado got backmarkers. Bellof also sucked because he didn’t win any race didn’t he? Lmao what a great way to ignore context, can’t take you serious after this

And what’s the deal with all these stupid examples which I didn’t bring up at all? Vettel is overrated and got obliterated every time he was up against a good to very good driver. People still defending him after the last 2 1/2 seasons really need to get checked

Last edited:
Last edited:
I think Ocon and Alonso will be close next year.

Going by the perception that Ocon is around Perez level given his performance at Racing Point, I think it's a fair assessment.

The Renault this year was a step behind the Mclarens and Racing point this year.

I think Ocon and Alonso will be close next year.

Going by the perception that Ocon is around Perez level given his performance at Racing Point, I think it's a fair assessment.

The Renault this year was a step behind the Mclarens and Racing point this year.
If I could sum up Renault’s 2020 season in one word, it would be inconsistent.

Daniel qualified an average 2 to 3 10ths faster than Ocon all year except for the last race.

With the midfield battle being as tight as it was, that could mean fighting for a podium one round & barely making the points the next.

One thing I’ll be very interested to see next season is, just how close to the front the pink cars will be now that they can’t be a Mercedes facsimile.

The other things are, how close to the front will the McLaren get with a Merc engine, and where will the red car be in the pack?

Hahahaha, no.

Lewis Hamilton is better than Alonso. Comfortably. Hamilton would have won in 2017 and 18 easily even against an Alonso who isn't as high and mighty as some people seem to hold him.
HARD Disagree. Lewis is similar to Vettel in my eyes in the sense that he struggles when he has difficulties to overcome. The advantage he has had over Bottas since 2017 has been so much so that we haven't seen this as much as Lewis has been able to keep a lot in his pocket even when things don't go his way. I think with Alonso in a competitive ride, we would have seen a lot more of 2015 and 2016 Lewis who would get sulky when he wasn't winning and it would get to his head.

I've seen Alonso wheel cars with wildly different handling characteristics, engine types, tyre compounds, etc. and he's excelled in all of them. I cannot name one season where Fernando Alonso has underperformed in F1, only maybe 2007 where you can certainly cite external sources though a season where you finish 1 point off the championship with 4 wins being your worst season in F1 is pretty impressive. Because he has excelled in three fairly different eras of Formula 1, in my eyes, he's the best of the past 30 years.

HARD Disagree. Lewis is similar to Vettel in my eyes in the sense that he struggles when he has difficulties to overcome. The advantage he has had over Bottas since 2017 has been so much so that we haven't seen this as much as Lewis has been able to keep a lot in his pocket even when things don't go his way. I think with Alonso in a competitive ride, we would have seen a lot more of 2015 and 2016 Lewis who would get sulky when he wasn't winning and it would get to his head.

I've seen Alonso wheel cars with wildly different handling characteristics, engine types, tyre compounds, etc. and he's excelled in all of them. I cannot name one season where Fernando Alonso has underperformed in F1, only maybe 2007 where you can certainly cite external sources though a season where you finish 1 point off the championship with 4 wins being your worst season in F1 is pretty impressive. Because he has excelled in three fairly different eras of Formula 1, in my eyes, he's the best of the past 30 years.

I agree

Lewis isn't a bad driver by any means. But if you put Alonso and Lewis in a new team where the car wasn't made for either one of them specifically. Then i think Alonso would edge Lewis.

Given how Hamilton was performance wise against Button it's hard to conclude he is an untouchable, performance against team mates rather then achievements with cars weighs alot more in determining talent and skill.

Alonso beat Button pretty comfortably at Mclaren, but given the car was total garbage it's a bit hard to get too much information on that especially since Button was probably driving at a lower level then when he joined Mclaren from Brawn.

Alot of people react to drivers who are probably driving at the same level as always but the car got alot faster so the results improved(Example I would give is Stroll Recently).

I think a lot of fans campaigning for Mazepin to be sacked will forget about it in two weeks when they find someone else to cancel.

I think he's a ******** who needs to pull his head in, but to sack the guy is ridiculous.

Last edited:
Until you have been a victim of sexual assault yourself, which of course I do not wish upon anyone, you have no place calling what Mazepin did nothing or not significant. You don’t know how that can affect a person.

If Formula One truly “races as one,” action will be taken, though it’s been 2 weeks since the video and nothing has been said by the higher ups there.

However, as supporters, it’s still our responsibility to put pressure on F1 and Haas to punish a driver for a very serious offence, something which we will do for every driver if they act in such a deplorable manner.

Last edited:
Does anyone know what actually happened in the car, I mean not just the events from the video but the whole thing in context?

Reason I'm asking is this statement:
“Hi guys, I just want to let you know Nikita and I have been good friends for a long time and nothing from that video was serious at all!” Instagram user almadelcaribe, who has been identified by multiple outlets as the woman involved, wrote on the social media site.
“We trust each other so much and this was a silly way of joking between us. I posted this video on his story as an internal joke. I am truly sorry. I can give you my word he’s a really good person and he would never do anything to hurt me or humiliate me.”

Do you think she was initially mad at him for what he did and then posted the video to get back at him? And then realised it would ruin him and then wrote that apology (or maybe it was written for her?).
Or was it actually them joking around and that apology being honest?

I realise that this is wild speculation. :)

And he has apparently deleted his apology! I'm confused.

I think he's a ******** who needs to pull his head in, but to sack the guy is ridiculous.

Haas and the Formula One Group are businesses though. If an employee or someone who represents them is doing something that in this day and age is largely seen as being damaging to the 'brand' then of course the termination of their employment should be considered. He may bring money with him, but if his presence puts off other sponsors then that's a negative to the sport. It's not like F1's going to miss out on some great talent at the end of the day. His results in other formula are not spectacular.

Haas and the Formula One Group are businesses though. If an employee or someone who represents them is doing something that in this day and age is largely seen as being damaging to the 'brand' then of course the termination of their employment should be considered. He may bring money with him, but if his presence puts off other sponsors then that's a negative to the sport. It's not like F1's going to miss out on some great talent at the end of the day. His results in other formula are not spectacular.

Agreed, and I've no issue with the team deciding on whether he's worth it.

The issue I have is with what I see as misguided internet activism to petition to get him sacked for filming a sloppy night out.

Last edited:
At this point, the negative reception that HAAS are getting from this situation could cost them more than what Mazepin is bringing in. If that happens, they should bring in Pietro Fittipaldi. Like the Schumacher name, the Fittipaldi name could bring them some of the needed money. If Pietro decides to move away from F1 and got to IndyCar, then Nico Hulkenburg or Alex Albon could also bring in a lot of money due to their sponsors.

Edit:

Just to clarify, I am not just talking about the Instagram situation either. This Reddit post has a good description of why HAAS should be worried about their brand's reputation:

Last edited:
Pretty sure it's for committing sexual assault; the fact he incriminated himself by filming it is merely additional poor judgment.

It's best not to post illegal activity to social media, otherwise you may find yourself out of a job or two.

It's best not to post illegal activity to social media, otherwise you may find yourself out of a job or two.

And/or having to deal with your reputation being (potentially irreversibly) tainted for your bad decisions. Bonus points if said reputation was already bad due to poor decision making both on and off social media.

Hahahaha, no.

Lewis Hamilton is better than Alonso. Comfortably. Hamilton would have won in 2017 and 18 easily even against an Alonso who isn't as high and mighty as some people seem to hold him.
I think Lewis probably wins both in the end too, as Mercedes just won the development race in the end, but I don't think the gap between him and Alonso is substantial enough to say it would have been easy, or that he's considerably better. Alonso did run it to the very end in 2010 and 2012, while never having the best or 2nd best car on the grid, arguably at any point in either year. He could have definitely made it harder than Vettel did in 2017.

If I could sum up Renault’s 2020 season in one word, it would be inconsistent.

Daniel qualified an average 2 to 3 10ths faster than Ocon all year except for the last race.

With the midfield battle being as tight as it was, that could mean fighting for a podium one round & barely making the points the next.

One thing I’ll be very interested to see next season is, just how close to the front the pink cars will be now that they can’t be a Mercedes facsimile.

The other things are, how close to the front will the McLaren get with a Merc engine, and where will the red car be in the pack?

If you expect any big shifts prepare for disappointment since Ferrari are already saying not to expect much based on the 2021 design freeze rules the teams agreed to. They've also claimed their engine will still be 40hp off the Mercdes based.

Also the token loop hole means the Aston Martin and Alpha can be updated to a certain spec and be competitive. So really the only significant change will probably come from McLaren. But Ferrari will be at best be 5th from what has been said and seen so far. I expect them to stay 6th though.

I think Lewis probably wins both in the end too, as Mercedes just won the development race in the end, but I don't think the gap between him and Alonso is substantial enough to say it would have been easy, or that he's considerably better. Alonso did run it to the very end in 2010 and 2012, while never having the best or 2nd best car on the grid, arguably at any point in either year. He could have definitely made it harder than Vettel did in 2017.

2012 he may not have had the best car but he did have the 3rd and at times second best. Similar to how many doubt Mercedes were the second best car in 2013.

2010 the Ferrari was the best car and second best at times. The RB and McLaren were just that close that it wasn't a massive gap between them at any one time. Fernando wasn't the David vs Goliath that many paint him out to be.

I can remember when Nico was virtually untouchable in the A1 GP class that ran about 15 years ago.
I thought at the time, along with many other people he would be the next Schumacher when he reached F1.
For some reason it hasn't worked out like that.

I don't rate him as a Formula One driver. I just didn't see it.

He's a solidly-performing nearly-man, I think that makes him better than at least 50% of any grid he turns up on although I don't think he has the final pieces of whatever puzzle makes a complete F1 star.

Unpopular motorsport oponion: F1 is boring.
True, but there is too much corporate image and money on the line for it to be any other way. We would really have to wind the clock back a few decades or look at other series if exciting, unpredictable entertainment was the first order of business.

IMHO, the zenith of F1 competition was the period 1966-1983. It did not help matters when reliable 1.5 liter turbo engines provided by industry giants were allowed to dominate 3.0 liter normally aspirated engines.

Last edited:
At this point, the negative reception that HAAS are getting from this situation could cost them more than what Mazepin is bringing in. If that happens, they should bring in Pietro Fittipaldi. Like the Schumacher name, the Fittipaldi name could bring them some of the needed money. If Pietro decides to move away from F1 and got to IndyCar, then Nico Hulkenburg or Alex Albon could also bring in a lot of money due to their sponsors.

Edit:

Just to clarify, I am not just talking about the Instagram situation either. This Reddit post has a good description of why HAAS should be worried about their brand's reputation:

Imagine paying any attention to what they post on the f1 subreddit. They’re full of racists and sexists themselves.

Nico Hülkenberg

I don't rate him as a Formula One driver. I just didn't see it.
And how do you rate drivers in general? By their amount of wins and WDCs? What a laughable comment. Go on and explain why you don’t rate him instead of posting a vague statement which no one can understand.

Last edited:
Bottas isn't the second best driver on the grid. Far from it. He's worse than Verstappen, Ricciardo, Leclerc, Russel and Perez. He'll have his back up against the wall in 2021 and I don't think it will be smooth sailing. Mercedes made the wrong decision to keep him.

Back