Unpopular Motorsport Opinions

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 1,954 comments
I don't think there's much to see since the camera was almost certainly destroyed in the crash.

I don't think there's much to see since the camera was almost certainly destroyed in the crash.

You'd at least see the initial impact. I don't know how the OBCs' tech works but the fact that there is a video feed that they deliberately cut away from means... that it was working? Or at least did during the broadcast. If the camera was wrecked and there's nothing to see, then there's no reason to not play the video until the screen goes black anyway.

It's a curiosity more than anything. For me OBCs are almost always the most fascinating crash perspective.

Last edited:
This is only very tangentially related to motorsports, and I have no idea how unpopular this is (just feels like it ATM), but I really hate the new format Wikipedia's decided to start using for F1 - and maybe other motorsport series - standings tables, adding P's and F's to the columns to indicate poles and fastest laps rather than bold and italics like usual. They say it's for the convenience of people using screen readers, but this only ends up servicing a tiny minority while making it hideous and crowded for everyone else. The drivers with the poles and fastest laps are already covered in the season review separate from the table, anyway.

My suggested superior solution would be to put pressure on designing better screen readers that can detect that information.

Last edited:
This is only very tangentially related to motorsports, and I have no idea how unpopular this is (just feels like it ATM), but I really hate the new format Wikipedia's decided to start using for F1 - and maybe other motorsport series - standings tables, adding P's and F's to the columns to indicate poles and fastest laps rather than bold and italics like usual. They say it's for the convenience of people using screen readers, but this only ends up servicing a tiny minority while making it hideous and crowded for everyone else. The drivers with the poles and fastest laps are already covered in the season review separate from the table, anyway.

My suggested superior solution would be to put pressure on designing better screen readers that can detect that information.

Finally someone said it! Whoever edits these pages also used an annotation with IndyCar for each lap leader (they get bonus points for leading a lap during a race). Can't wait for the dozen annotations for NASCAR signifying all the bonuses given out. You have to zoom out to like 50% to see the entire season chart without scrolling.

It's almost as if being functional for screen reader users is more important than looking nice.

While this is true, it's not up to whoever makes tables on Wikipedia articles to do that, just to deal with the current situation.

Last edited:
Lance Stroll is easily one of the most underrated and unnecessarily hated on drivers in recent times. Yes, he got into the sport through money, but he is still a pretty quick driver and is definitely not the worst on the grid.

As long as the question is: Who is more likely to be heard regularly uttering the phrase "Yeah baby" :P
I honestly don’t know what you’re referring to lol. I can’t remember either of them uttering that phrase very often.

Or am I just drawing blanks here

The SF71H is the best car in F1 history that didn’t win a championship purely down to the failures of its drivers. Seeing how Ricciardo and Leclerc fairly easily best Vettel, and with how big their margin was compared to him in qualifying, both of them would’ve won the title.

The SF71H is the best car in F1 history that didn’t win a championship purely down to the failures of its drivers. Seeing how Ricciardo and Leclerc fairly easily best Vettel, and with how big their margin was compared to him in qualifying, both of them would’ve won the title.

Your negative obsession with Sebastian Vettel is unhealthy.

Oh sorry, unpopular opinions...

I think you'll find Senna is the most overrated.

He's a petulant 2-time World Champion (yes 2, Prost blew him away in '88 but Senna won the title because of some random dropped scores rule) who was at best the 2nd best driver on the grid, most often being the third. Prost>Senna, but at times he also shared the grid with drivers like Piquet, Mansell and Schumacher who were performing just as good as Senna - if not better - in some of those seasons. Senna had to resort to crashing into Prost twice at Suzuka to try and win titles and it only worked once. He's no better than Schumacher when it comes to on-track title deciding petulance.

And yes, the 1989 crash into the final chicane at Suzuka was all Senna's fault. He was so far back it made "Racing or Ping Pong" look like a photo finish. Regardless of whether Prost turned in early or not (he was at the apex at the time of collision), Senna was hitting Prost unless he jumped out of the way of Senna's suicide drive.

Senna is just another Alonso - a quick driver who just couldn't play politics as well as his chief rivals and missed out on plenty of titles for that exact reason. Yes, he is one of the all-time greats, but not on the same plinth as Fangio, Clark, Prost, Schumacher and Hamilton. Formula 1 and greatness is more than just outright speed.

Talking of "more that just outright speed" - Gilles Villeneuve would never have been a Formula 1 Champion unless someone eventually had convinced him to change his driving style. Someone who crashed all the time in any session and had little mechanical sympathy would have spent the Turbo-era stood at the side of the track by lap 45 at almost every race with an engine in flames. Consistency wins championships, not drifting into catch fencing in Practice or ripping a wheel off just because of a puncture. Villeneuve's lap at Zandvoort was legendary for being spectacular but ultimately futile, Alonso at Baku was spectacular because he drove on 2 tyres and still managed to finish the race in the points, while Hamilton's victory at Silverstone on 3 tyres was driven fast, but still in the limit of the puncture.

Last edited:
People deeply involved in the sport at all levels, with a lot more knowledge than some of the BS 'experts' n this thread, would be laughing in disbelief at the sheer stupidity on display here.

This is the most prisonermonkey gripe post prisonermonkey

I don't consider Senna overrated per se but he is little bit higher in people's estimations than he should be. And it comes entirely down to the death mythos. Had he lived and retired like a normal driver, there would have been a natural and more rational career evaluation. People's opinions of him would be more grounded rather than the automatic GOAT comments you see.

Prost beat Senna in every metric; Prost has more titles, wins, podiums, points and fastest laps. The only one he doesn't have is pole positions but Prost never cared about poles. Almost uniquely, he always qualified with his Sunday race setup.

Senna isn't overrated, he is one of the greats, but he's just mythologised to such an overbearing degree.

I think Piquet gets a bad rap. Don't forget, he was Brazil's first triple World Champion, the last title against a very good teammate, and instantly forgotten about. Doesn't help that he's a bit of a 🤬 though.

Last edited:
If we're talking about how Vettel and Schumacher are overrated, it's pretty ridiculous to still praise Hamilton as people do. All three have succeeded mainly in cars that were far superior to their competitors, had preferential treatment inside the team (regardless of what the official rules at the time have been) and have been beaten in the WDC by their team mates. In the case of Schumacher it was Irvine (it took a broken leg for Schumacher for that to happen though), for Vettel it was Ricciardo and Leclerc, and for Hamilton it was Button and Rosberg. And one tie with Alonso. If there's one out of those three that actually isn't overrated, it would indeed be Schumacher.

In addition to that, none of them have even been the fastest drivers of their eras. Häkkinen was faster than Schumacher, so was probably young Räikkönen. Hill and even Frentzen might have had a word too when given similar machinery. Vettel and Hamilton are, at best, on a par with Verstappen, Leclerc, Russell, Norris, Ricciardo... it was all too apparent in the Sakhir race when Russell crushed Bottas just as badly as Hamilton usually does, in a car he had driven for some 400 km at that point.

It's all in the car and a slower team mate and one doesn't have to be a hater to see that. One does have to be a diehard fan not to see it, though. Taking a look at the championship results and taking note of the times when one team has occupied both 1st and 2nd places in the WDC tells something about how good the car was in relation to the opposition.

Your negative obsession with Sebastian Vettel is unhealthy.

Oh sorry, unpopular opinions...
Oh no, how dare someone has a different opinion than you. Everyone should think the same way as I do, if they don’t it hurts my safe space.

If you want to defend an overrated, over the hill and fluke champion then go ahead, be my guest. Every single expert has agreed that Ferrari had the better car in 2018 and Vettel screwed it up big time. But hey!, what idiots must those experts be who’ve been covering this sport for years and years. That anime guy on that one sub forum on the internet has way more knowledge than those guys

Last edited:
Oh no, how dare someone has a different opinion than you. Everyone should think the same way as I do, if they don’t it hurts my safe space.

If you want to defend an overrated, over the hill and fluke champion then go ahead, be my guest. Every single expert has agreed that Ferrari had the better car in 2018 and Vettel screwed it up big time. But hey!, what idiots must those experts be who’ve been covering this sport for years and years. That anime guy on that one sub forum on the internet has way more knowledge than those guys
You misunderstand. Lots of people think Vettel is talented but ultimately lucked into both his debut win (the Toro Rosso was clearly fast at rainy Monza; Bourdais qualified 4th in the same car and he was hardly a legend) and four titles by being in the right place at the right time, and has proven himself to be easily psyched out by successive team mates (even by Webber, with whom he couldn't ever share the same piece of track) and fractious in close quarters.

It's an incredibly common opinion.

@Liquid is neither disagreeing with it, nor arguing it. He's pointing out that you are obsessed with Vettel, and it's pretty easy to see why.

Almost every post you've made in three months is about Vettel, and commonly a tirade about him - like the one above where you simply had to launch into another attack, with the tired groupthink and safe space tropes, because you thought someone was a Vettel fan even though that doesn't appear anywhere in their post.

Vettel seems to live in your head, free of charge, just as easily as Webber, Ricciardo, and Leclerc live in his. It's like he ran over your puppy once, or dated your sister and left her at the altar. As @Liquid says, it's an obsession to almost unhealthy levels.

We get it. You hate Vettel. Now try posting about something else.

Bottas is garbage. I hate him so much.

There are several drivers on the grid or outside that would be better suited to that seat.

Russell
Nick de Vries
I'd even give vandoorn a shot in a good car. Remember he dominated GP2.
Ocon, he has the balls to fight his teammate
That's a bit much isn't it?
Have you ever personally met him?
The only reason to personally hate him would be if you had met him and he was a total ass.
I suspect...given what appears to be his demeanor, he is a 'good'guy off track.

Whilst not wishing to extend an argument, it got me thinking about drivers being in the right car at the right time, or moving teams just as they were on the up...

Has anyone (driver or constructor) won a title that either the driver, car, or both really shouldnt have?

Controversial Jacques.

Sticking your neck out.

Has anyone (driver or constructor) won a title that either the driver, car, or both really shouldnt have?

John Surtees; only won because of dropped scores. Hill beat him by 1 point.

James Hunt; probably the least deserving champion of them all.

Keke Rosberg; 1982 was a mental season. Pironi was 9 points clear before missing the final five races of the season due to injury. He was still leading the championship after being absent for three races and actually finished 2nd in the championship.

Ayrton Senna in 1988; only won because of dropped scores. Prost beat him by 11 points.

Michael Schumacher in 1994; Benetton were rampantly cheating and their car was pretty much illegal.

Jenson Button; nothing against him but Brawn was definitely a case of right place, right time.

Last edited:
Back