Unpopular Motorsport Opinions

Discussion in 'Motorsport' started by Liquid, Jul 14, 2016.

1. Pete05

Pete05 Premium

I would argue that Constructors don't 'luck themselves' into a championship.

They have to have a decent, reliable car & two drivers that consistently score in order to clinch the title.

2. Boedefeld

Boedefeld (Banned)

In his career as an F1 driver, Vettel has insulted other drivers, blamed his teammate after he himself crashed into him, has shown to be a sexist, has shown road raging tendencies multiple times, even intentionally crashing into Lewis Hamilton because he thinks it’s the correct way to show your displeasure, he has ignored team orders throughout his whole career, costing his team a multitude of points and even wins.

How someone can possibly like him after all this is beyond me, and here again we have another user defending maid Vettel. Other drivers get **** on repeatedly with no one steeping in to defend their honor like you just did, once again.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
  3. Famine

Famine Administrator

Yes. We know.
    No, I didn't. I pointed out that you decided another user was defending Vettel simply because he said you seem to have an unhealthy obsession with him, without actually defending him anywhere. Which you just did yet again.

Here, enjoy these search results if you think I like Vettel.

You'll want to re-evaluate how you're posting and engaging with other users, because continually acting like people have said things they demonstrably haven't is not conducive to a healthy arena for discussion.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
  4. Roger the Horse

Roger the Horse

Honestly I think something a lot of people fail to pick up on when it comes to drivers is that it's not just how they perform out on track which defines how good they are at their job. A lot of Hamilton and Schumacher's success comes down to behind the scenes workings which fans aren't particularly privy to, in terms of their ability to work within a team. It's known that Prost had problems with this on multiple occasions, and it's quite possible that if he had handled some of those situations better he would have had even more success than he did. If Alonso had been as good at building the Ferrari team around him as Schumacher was then I'm sure he would have won multiple world championships with them. Ditching Schumacher for Raikkonen was, in hindsight, an extremely poor move on Ferrari's end, and while it wasn't the only factor at play it was definitely a big factor in the team's downfall. If Schumacher had stayed on for a few more years with the team I think he could easily have picked up multiple more championships. On the opposite end I think the value of a truly strong number two driver gets overlooked. It takes a lot of mental strength for a lot of drivers to be able to say "I am here to do a job and that job is to get the best possible result for the team".

5. kungtotte_

kungtotte_

I think there's generally not a lot of F1 drivers that are good #2 drivers, due to the competitive nature of actually reaching an F1 seat.

You have to be #1 at everything you do from your first time in a kart through all the feeder series up to when you get signed into the big league, and then you're told to take the back seat? That's a big ask.

UnkaD and Roger the Horse like this.
  6. Boedefeld

Boedefeld (Banned)

Ah yes, Alonso should’ve changed the regulations back to the V10 era, hired Rory Byrne, Ross Brawn, Jean Todt etc. and also forbid Newey from making the perfect cars during the V8 era.

Oh Fernando, it’s all your fault

Good god, have all these opinions been around for longer or is this just a byproduct of the Netflix series?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
  7. MaxAttack

MaxAttack Premium

What is it that compels you to insult those you respond to here? Your response would have been enough without the rhetorical arsery on the end there, you know.

YoshiMaster2 likes this.
  8. Liquid

Liquid Premium

At least it's a post without mentioning Vettel.

FoRiZon, Scaff, Roo and 8 others like this.
  9. Sabertooth

Sabertooth

How would that even be a byproduct of the Netflix series?

10. HaydenFan69

HaydenFan69

Love watching you guys get trolled up by someone who feels Mike Trout is a special enough player to be used as his avatar photo.

Now back to our regular televised program;

“Corvette Racing has done more damage than good in endurance racing.”

They promoted the idea of it being cool to race GT’s. Before, outside Le Mans and the FIA GT series, full factory supported efforts where small, if not existent. But here comes GM. While they threw their chips into both LMP900 and GT cars, when the bean counters came about and told the board how much it’ll cost to beat Audi, the Cadillac prototype got the axe. A smart business decision, but again, it hurt the overall sport.

I love the team. But now they are the lone entry left in 2 separate racing classes over time, and if allowed to move to a GT3 style class as a GM funded effort, it will quickly become 3.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
  11. mustafur

mustafur

BMW are the uncommitted whore of racing.

12. Boedefeld

Boedefeld (Banned)

Just watched the Top 10 Button Moments video and was again reminded of a few Vettel screw ups I forgot over the years. The guy just keeps on giving.

13. PeterJB

PeterJB Premium

Well, this is one way for me to dump potentially several dozen unpopular opinions on those of you that have it in you to stomach an 80-minute video :D

TenEightyOne likes this.
  14. Sabertooth

Sabertooth

I think Leclerc has been put far too low on this list. He’s only had 3 full seasons in F1, and he’s shown promise of potentially winning a title with Ferrari. At least, before Ferrari went to :censored:. Personally, I’d put him ahead of both Valterri and Button, and then move Rosberg right behind Leclerc. I think he’s a tad overrated in this list.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
  15. PeterJB

PeterJB Premium

Leclerc's ranking is mostly due to lack of experience, and Rosberg's ranking is helped in part by how Bottas has performed at Mercedes.

Sabertooth likes this.
  16. TenEightyOne

TenEightyOne Premium

Grosjean's escape was miraculous and I'll admit to having a tear in my eye when I saw him being pulled to safety. Incredible scenes, I'm so glad he escaped. And it's horrible that he received burns - any burns are painful but the hands are a particularly difficult and painful place to have them, I'm told. Hard to start your mental recovery when you have physical pain to remind you of something traumatic, and I know that one from personal experience.

But wind it in a bit now Romain, you're actually managing to overdo it.

Yours sincerely, a grumpy old man with an unpopular opinion.

17. Pete05

Pete05 Premium

Seeing as though you haven't bothered to link any article explaining the reason behind your second paragraph, I have no idea what you're talking about :odd: