Unpopular Motorsport Opinions

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 1,948 comments
Wow. I knew he got hate in his RB days but I didn’t realize the extent of it.

It was one of those things where, while I definitely didn't blame people for being over the Vettel/RBR dominance, I personally thought that some of the reactions were a tad over the top.

Rally drivers are the best drivers. Rally cars have also always been the coolest cars.

On a related unpopular opinion note, Group B was the least good era of world rallying.

Rally drivers are the best drivers. Rally cars have also always been the coolest cars.

On a related unpopular opinion note, Group B was the least good era of world rallying.

I’m not a rally fan, but I will admit that those guys are absolutely crazy. And modern rally cars look fantastic IMO.

The fixation on Senna and his death by the media is unhealthy, verging on cult-like and its brought up way too often. Things like last years Imola trophies with the encrusted jewel at Tamburello was weird.

For reference it would be like Jim Clark being brought up several times a season by the media in 1995

Last edited:
Yeah, I'd say the same if I deliberately crashed into people on purpose too. Literally one of the worst quotes in motorsports, ever.
Russell had all the momentum he needed to pass Bottas, and the gap too, although Bottas pinched it enough to flinch Russell too far right and the accident was on. Poor Russell had everything he needed, and commitment in abundance. But under the same conditions, would Clark or Senna have made the same move squabbling over 8th place? I tend to doubt it.

Russell had all the momentum he needed to pass Bottas, and the gap too, although Bottas pinched it enough to flinch Russell too far right and the accident was on. Poor Russell had everything he needed, and commitment in abundance. But under the same conditions, would Clark or Senna have made the same move squabbling over 8th place? I tend to doubt it.

Senna wasn't above rash maneuvers though, especially not two years into his F1 career

The Monaco GP track is a much better FE circuit than F1 circuit. Watching it feels like a modern day interpretation of 60s F1; even the lap times are similar, even though F1 in the 60s ran a shorter lap. The FE cars slide around a bit like 60s F1 cars did, obviously not quite to the same extent but they're certinaly loose on throttle. It's hard but not impossible to pass, as it should be, and the racing is properly good. I'll say right now the FE race was better than F1 will be in a few weeks.

Edit: I miss the old Monaco staircase podium.

Last edited:
There's almost no room for any individuality. It's just driver's national flags mixed with all the team's sponsors. Red Bull are the absolute worst for this.

There's almost no room for any individuality. It's just driver's national flags mixed with all the team's sponsors. Red Bull are the absolute worst for this.

I may have a hunch on why....

Almost all helmets today are terrible. They're needlessly overcomplicated and cluttered.
I wouldn't say that's unpopular.

This image is from 2019, and while I can work out that Lewis' helmet is one of the 2 with Monster on it, and I think it's the red and white one, it's ridiculous that I don't know with any kind of certainty. Some have a name or number, and others you can work out from sponsors, but all of the designs are unmemorable and awful.

upload_2021-6-10_19-47-25.png

Since the high sided cockpit openings ('95?) and the halos ('18), actually seeing a driver's helmet has been next to impossible during a race. You may catch a quick glance at them as driver gets in or out of the car, but other than that their sole purpose is to keep helmet livery designers and painters in work.

I like LMP2 being on the same/close to the same pace as the new Hypercar class in WEC. It has the potential to allow privateers to fight for overall wins by competing in the lower cost class of LMP2 while keeping the manufacturers and their large budgets in a seperate class. Obviously it won’t last however as the manufacturers won’t find the sport sustainable when they are spending twice as much to get beaten by a “lower class”.

I like LMP2 being on the same/close to the same pace as the new Hypercar class in WEC. It has the potential to allow privateers to fight for overall wins by competing in the lower cost class of LMP2 while keeping the manufacturers and their large budgets in a seperate class. Obviously it won’t last however as the manufacturers won’t find the sport sustainable when they are spending twice as much to get beaten by a “lower class”.
I know the chance of this happening is minuscule because no way is the ACO gonna let it happen, but there’s a chance that Juan Pablo Montoya could win the triple crown this year by winning Le Man overall in an LMP2 on pace alone.

Last edited:

The solution to this is to ape what ALMS did back in the early 2000s. The P1 class was the domain of the big, heavy, powerful cars, and P2 was for smaller, lighter cars. At some circuits, one or other class would dominate. But there was a delicious middle ground where the circuit layout enabled both classes of cars to set similar lap times, albeit in dramatically different ways. Coupled with this was a really strong field of GT cars which were embroiled in their own races and could therefore not be counted upon to jump out of the way of the fast-approaching prototypes. That was an absolute golden age of prototype racing.

Apparently I have an unpopular motorsports opinion because I've been BLOCKED BY JAMES (Glickenhaus). Their Instagram account blocked me lmao. Nice. I posted this photo (of WEC's account mind you) asking for a photoshop because the Glick car looked gigantic. I wanted to start a huge BMW meme but with this car. So somehow between a random screenshot of WEC and a Reddit post, Glickenhaus decided they didn't like me haha.

www.instagram.com_p_CQDwB2YlQIr_.png

Not sure if even that unpopular (would've been more unpopular after Bahrain) but since I was very sceptic from the first rumours in mid 2020 on: Tsunoda is totally wrong (maybe but just maybe "only" too early) in F1.
It was a bad decision to steal his 2nd year in F2 just to make Honda happy and let them agree to the enginedeal. Just doesn't make sense to basically fire Albon when they could've had Gasly/Albon just battle it out at Alpha Tauri this year.

Apparently I have an unpopular motorsports opinion because I've been BLOCKED BY JAMES (Glickenhaus). Their Instagram account blocked me lmao. Nice. I posted this photo (of WEC's account mind you) asking for a photoshop because the Glick car looked gigantic. I wanted to start a huge BMW meme but with this car. So somehow between a random screenshot of WEC and a Reddit post, Glickenhaus decided they didn't like me haha.

View attachment 1017304
Now that you mention it...

Back