Unpopular opinion: Bin the VGT category

• Thread starter nickf1gr
  • 80 comments
I think it’s kind of cool how PD collaborates with manufacturers to design these cars, so I’m not necessarily against having them. I rarely ever used them though, but tbf I can say that about a lot of cars in the game.

The tommy x was already killed to oblivion, just try and take my tommy S away from me.

Don't remove content, just utilise it better. Every VGT is a perfect one-make race or time trial series candidate.
They ruin all of the Gr.1 events. If there was a simple switch to filter out VGTs from any single game content, I'd be more than satisfied.
We could definitely use more division options for custom races (and division-specified events for the campaign).
Maybe checkboxes could work Gr1: □All/□VGT/□LMP1/□GroupC
Gr2:□GT500-'08/□GT500-'16/□90s GT1
Gr3:□Real GT3/□Gr3 Originals/□VGT/□90s GT500/□20s GT300/□The Others (DBR9, F1GTR, R30SS)

VGT are an essential look at the future and allow the designers to dream, an exercise that is as necessary as looking back at the past to know and understand where we succeeded or failed, so that we can do better.

In terms of gaming and GT7
As players, I think it is such a Good opportunity and the blessing... Such as people in real life who has the opportunity to drive things that are not yet available:

You don't like them, don't use them.
But don't spoil it for others who enjoy VGTs in their own ways.

I agree that in implementation, PD should give us more options.

More options is better

Essential look at the future? What happened to, you know, actual concept cars?
Yes, where are they in GT ? Why do you think we don't see them in GT as much as you and I wish to see them?
(In fact Kazunori-san is of the same perspective as us, he wants to include concepts and prototypes too.)

Let me tell you why:

Due to sensitive info, not many car maker is going to or is willing to reveal the eminent new car (concept or prototypes) prior to production in a car game.

For that very reason, VGT is the formal way PD is able to request auto maker willing to participate in revealing further future design rather than the competitiveness of the shorter term future design of production car.

It's not easy for me to say it or explain it here so early on Sunday morning, but I hope you get my drift...

That's why VGT is "essential" because we don't see it anywhere but here in GT, far future design of cars that you can actually drive (virtually).. Don't you feel grateful for that ?

Last edited:
Yes, where are they in GT ? Why do you think we don't see them in GT as much as you and I wish to see them?
(In fact Kazunori-san is of the same perspective as us, he wants to include concepts and prototypes too.)

Let me tell you why:

Due to sensitive info, not many car maker is going to or is willing to reveal the eminent new car (concept or prototypes) prior to production in a car game.

For that very reason, VGT is the formal way PD is able to request auto maker willing to participate in revealing further future design rather than the competitiveness of the shorter term future design of production car.

It's not easy for me to say it or explain it here so early on Sunday morning, but I hope you get my drift...

That's why VGT is "essential" because we don't see it anywhere but here in GT, far future design of cars that you can actually drive (virtually).. Don't you feel grateful for that ?
I really don't see how it is anything to do with "sensitive information" given how inaccurate a lot of GT car stats have been historically, coupled with no interior cockpits for VGT ... in general you don't hear much about concept cars anymore.

I remember seeing the Mazda Furai, Nissan GTR and VW Nardo V12 all the time. I honestly couldn't name a recent concept car

I really don't see how it is anything to do with "sensitive information" given how inaccurate a lot of GT car stats have been historically, coupled with no interior cockpits for VGT ... in general you don't hear much about concept cars anymore.

I remember seeing the Mazda Furai, Nissan GTR and VW Nardo V12 all the time. I honestly couldn't name a recent concept car
Exactly my point, I will let you think deeper about it....
Combined with today's drive for EV

Highly competitive... Nothing to disclose

Last edited:
Exactly my point, I will let you think deeper about it....
Combined with today's drive for EV

Highly competitive... Nothing to disclose
With the current European disapproval of excessive green vehicle pushing andslow down in EV sales, I'd argue they are still pretty relevant. Alas, I am not an automobile manufacturer

I am in GT7 to drive cars, not futuristic objects of somebody’s imagination. I am not against the existence of VGT’s but I have absolutely zero interest. And in the future I would much rather if PD used resources on improving the core functionality, rather than on fantasy objects.

I'm kinda neutral here. I like VGTs when I drive them in Single Player. Online every lobby I hosted would often end up in a Tomahawk X and X2014 Standard fest. (Yes, I'm aware, the X2014 and etc. aren't VGT.)

If there was a way to add an option such as Production Cars only in a lobby I would actually enjoy hosting cruises like I did before.

Singleplayer, though? I'm all for VGT. Online? PD should let us add car exclusion lists.

Problem with VGTs is that they overstayed their welcome on the series. Should be a program generating some buzz around freaking GT6, more than a decade ago, revolving basically around the Kaz' kool-aid.

VGT are an essential look at the future and allow the designers to dream, an exercise that is as necessary as looking back at the past to know and understand where we succeeded or failed, so that we can do better.

Yes. Impossible cartoon cars powered by unicorn farts are really necessary, where would designers be without them? I mean, look at goddamn Bulgari! I am sure the lessons learned designing a pointless concept car will go a long way towards making a better... watch? Wait a minute...

I think they diverge focus and don't bring anything to the table anymore. A Bulgari VGT? Why? Is Bulgari now an automaker? Are they investigating advanced vehicle design so that they can bring a new car to the market , or are they simply using surplus PR/marketing cash to attract a new customer profile to their jewelry brand through a racing game (because there is a prestige Japanese development studio so far up their own asses that they'll be happy to oblige)? I hazard a guess is the later.

VGTs diverge focus because, as cool as new concept cars are when they are made as real-case scenario studies for upcoming models (and VGTs are FAR from this), they shouldn't take precedence over cars that are real, driven around today and, I am sorry to be blunt, far more relevant than any designer pipedream made as a quick job because the marketing people want something extravagant to be made into a racing game as a way to display the brand in flashy trailers that people see once and forget about it.

I mean, I am not a Ferrari fan, but even I can appreciate their relevance and GT have a sizeable portfolio of modern and classic Ferrari cars. But looking closer to the portfolio you are going to notice something odd: we the road going 458 Italia and a Gr4 and Gr3 variants. This car was replaced by the 488 back in 2015, having the equivalent GT3 racing versions following shortly after. Not only that, but the 488 itself was replaced by the 296 GTB back in 2022. We don't have both generations and their related racing models and you could translate this same problem to a number of brands and cars and I really think this is not great.

Or are the VGT apologists ready to admit that, yes, a Bulgari concept that will never become a car, is more important than a Ferrari that already is?

Another problem I have with it is that the weird way Poliphony tries to shoehorn things into their class system. Class system is really necessary and I think the current structure is almost there, but this need to give VGTs purpose other than the kool-aid ends up FUBAR-ing the classes. The Gr1 example is the easier to demonstrate this: in order to give VGTs purpose other than the kool-aid, Poliphony BoPs the hell out of everything else, trying this asinine notion of equating the 1980s Group-C cars with LMP1s and HyperCars, plus hot-wheels sci-fi concepts. The result? Individual characteristics of each car - even the VGTs - end up flattened in the hope of some performance equalization that isn't really there (just look at Daily Race C this week) because it simply isn't feasible to equalize a 1980s turbo racing car with a Toyota HyperCar design almost four decades later with something that would not even be allowed to run anywhere.

I don't care either way what they do with VGTs because more than a decade have shown that somehow this is still important for Poliphony. I just wish PD gave a more serious thought to how it structure its class system and made VGTs into its own thing, separating it by levels of performance. Maybe if we had something like a Gr1 and Gr3 classes just for VGTs, they would have more space to shine, proper events in the single player and Sport modes and this way they would be more appreciated and more used and less hated, which for sure would be great for any random corporation keen to blow some cash in a design they know full well will never get made.

Idk man if you were to ask me which is more realistic a few years ago, a 900hp single seater Jaguar roadster or a 1000hp crab-walking Hummer, I probably would've picked the Jaguar. We've reached singularity, the "Impossible cartoon car" point is moot. The only thing keeping these cars from being actually produced is the fact that very, very few would be able to afford them.

Last edited:
Back