Unpopular opinion: Bin the VGT category

• Thread starter nickf1gr
  • 64 comments
Greece
Athens
Nickf1gr
Αfter the last update i thought that removing the VGT category and show your interest in new car models (2010 and later) will be a push for GT7. (I got only Ferrari and Porsche VGT cars others sold them)..
P.S. 1) i am so upset with VGT without cockpits... as Toyota Toyota SF-R Racing Concept ’16.... hello PD its 2023!!
2) there are so many VGT races to use them....
3) i done this thread for the need of every member of the PD to prioritize the "production" of new models

Last edited:
Y GIF

I dont mind VGTs being available in the game.
It is not like PD would suddenly have more ressources available when they wouldnt make use of them.

Some of them really look nice, but most of them I dont like visually.
Luckily they are not present in that many events at all, so as far as the solo playing experience goes, they can be mostly avoided.
The few that are also being used in the more popular races are mostly ok because they are nowhere near "meta" choices ...

dfb26_BMW NAZCA C2-1024x683.jpg

The VGT program could have given us this instead we got spaceships as concept cars.

VGT program could have given us concept cars that would work in reality. But instead it became a contest on who can build the better spaceship.

Waste of potential.

I agree bin it for good.

Last edited:
Yeah, I don't think this would play out in the manner you're imagining. Dropping this category isn't going to result in anything you want lol. You're not going to get Sophy any sooner, I'm not going to get a timing screen in VR and the penalty system isn't going to get fixed.

But you know what you're going to get? MORE SCAPES!!

This isn't the first "VGT bad" thread right? (Edited since I forgot both threads' OP are distinct people)

Also don't forget that some other manufacturers would, instead of making a "spaceship", go to the other end of designing effort meter for VGTs by slapping bodykits to existing (concept) cars. The Mitsubishi, Subaru, BMW, Daihatsu, Toyota, and Lexus VGTs are in particular guilty of this.

Last edited:
The VGT program could have given us this instead we got spaceships as concept cars.

Italdesign answered Kaz's question of 'what would a Gran Tursimo of the future look like' with the Exeneo, not a 30 year old concept car?... go figure!

Last edited:
VGT cars are not that bad. What is horrible is how they implemented them in the game...

Which btw, they didn't :lol:

Some VGT's would have been ok rewards for some Cafe Books. Some VGT could actually be used as rival cars in certain events. There could have been not 1, but 2 separate Championships for the VGT cars (considering the PP difference between some of them is huge), there could have been some Mission Challenges exclusive for VGT cars. There could have been a Jaguar-only event for the Jaguar VGT Race car, etc, etc, etc.

The VGT program is not the problem. The problem is that PD and Kaz NO LONGER WANT to make a good game.

Last edited:
View attachment 1290633

VGT program could have given us concept cars that would work in reality. But instead it became a contest on who can build the better spaceship.

Waste of potential.

I agree bin it for good.
I never knew BMW made the NSX.

VGT's for the most part suck. The complete lack of tuning you can do with them give me a "take it or leave it" attitude towards them. For the most part they are "leave it" cars. If they could be tuned then there might be some potential there. I just dont understand why they cant be tuned. Its a damn video game. The cars aren't even real. Why not have these things be bonkers on the track?

Last edited:
But you can remove them...by not using them. Its not like you NEED them to progress through game. My Ferrari VGT got LOTS of miles on it.

The VGT program is simply going nowhere, Kaz loves it and car automakers are using them as a baseline for making new real life models, such as the Solus GT, Chiron, etc...

If anything, I actually can see them upping the ante on the program with GT8.

Frankly, I don't mind much about the program existing...But it needs a much, much, MUCH BETTER execution than what they have been doing with it in the games since GT6.

I mean, who actually wants to drive that dumb Copen VGT abomination if it's going to cost a million of credits?

On the other hand, what's the point of making a Tomahawk S, that is meant to be an "entry model" of the Tomahawk X, if BOTH of them have the same pricetag of a million of dollars? Logic would say that the S model should be cheaper and, frankly, I don't even think that the Tomahawk X should be purchaseable at all, it should be a end game reward to the dedicated players, given how utter bonkers it is.

And then there's the boring cars like the Mitsubishi and BMW VGTs that don't even have interiors...Speaking of which, if these cars does not exist in real life besides their exterior shells, or just renders on a computer, then why don't they design the interiors on the game however way they want??? Hell, the fact that they do not exists would only make this process much easier because the designers wouldn't need to be restrained by what the real life model looks like!

Seriously, if they want to keep these things in the franchise, then they should at least TRY to integrate them properly into the games or else they will just keep being a meme that the community largely ignores or actively hates, like they currently are right now.

Last edited:
HAHAHA, unpopular opinion? Nah, this is a very popular opinion. Get rid of them!
But you can remove them...by not using them. Its not like you NEED them to progress through game. My Ferrari VGT got LOTS of miles on it.
Sadly not true. They still violate/screw up any high level single player race (GrX, Gr1, etc).

The only VGT I enjoyed driving was the one they removed because of the usual licensing issues.

Pininfarina Fittipaldi EF7

Fittipaldi_EF7_VGT_by_Pininfarina_0011.jpg
Word, this one was the only true VGT that I would like to see in more games in the future.

I loved to drive it on GTS but thanks to the stupid Gr.X class it wasn't possible to use the car in like 90% of the "career" mode, also the inability to tune it in any kind of way was annoying, that final gear of it was way too short and would tap out on most longer tracks.

I never knew BMW made the NSX.

VGT's for the most part suck. The complete lack of tuning you can do with them give me a "take it or leave it" attitude towards them. For the most part they are "leave it" cars. If they could be tuned then there might be some potential there. I just dont understand why they cant be tuned. Its a damn video game. The cars aren't even real. Why not have these things be bonkers on the track?
That is another issue: Most of them are untunable. And with that option gone, we can't use them to it's possible full potencial. Take the Lamborghini VGT for example. That thing has 7 gears but we are stuck with just 5 and horrible, horrible acceleration.

Man, if I was Kaz, I would have done so much more with those VGT partnerships.

If that had never existed but was created as a Vision Gran Turismo, the very same people who complain about all the spaceships would complain about it and say it's a spaceship.
PD should have given a prequiste and a criteria for VGT.

Mazda and the Nissan 2020 look pretty good.

Tomahawk, italdesign and the chaparal are big time spaceships.

To be fair as mentioned removing the VGTs wouldn't change or add anything to the game, removing the VGTs wouldn't make them add more high paying events or our favorite cars for example. And also it's not like PD only wants the VGTs, a large part is due to the manufactures wanting the VGTs implemented, while I would rather them added say the F50 GT or FXX as seen in GT6 I imagine that is mainly Ferrari who wanted to rather add the Ferrari VGT instead.

Some of the VGTs have also inspired real life prototypes such as the McLaren Solus which is basically a real version of the Mclaren VGT and the Bugatti VGT which is a working car IRL.

There's something many may not have thought of... the developers never promised any sort of proper usability for the VGT cars in the game – the project's main goal was to inspire manufacturers to get involved with the game more creatively, thus strengthening a positive relationship between them and the franchise. By the looks of it, this goal is achieved and there's more to come I guess, even in a lesser extent.

That being said, there's a win-win scenario as manufacturers get exposure and players get free cars. Sure, some of these cars are definitely not worth of general attention if any at all (like Daihatsu, Mini, ItalDesign or Zagato), some are meh but OK overall (like Infinity and BMW) and some are just epic (like Mazda, Toyota, Lexus). There's definitely some room for appreciation.

To each his own.

Last edited:
No.

If I could upload a MP4 file, I would.

Some days I really am in the mood to drive some ridiculous, monstrous cars, especially if they have some interesting designs and ideas behind them. Getting rid of them would only serve to highlight how little they are doing with the real life cars they have currently. No need to spend time removing things. Just add more IRL cars and make them matter more.

Like you, I don’t like that some of the VGTs don’t have interiors - but that really is a problem of the manufacturers not designing them, not PD’s

20970009465251031.jpg

20970181461307717.jpg

Last edited:
Concept cars are concept cars, even Homer Simpson designed one.

Do I want them removed? no.

Do I think they should be in online racing categories? No.

They aren't even OP or Meta in online so for Single Player stuff I enjoy them but online I do think they have to go. They are just padding out the lack of GR 3 cars and Gr4 cars

Concept cars are concept cars, even Homer Simpson designed one.

Do I want them removed? no.

Do I think they should be in online racing categories? No.

They aren't even OP or Meta in online so for Single Player stuff I enjoy them but online I do think they have to go. They are just padding out the lack of GR 3 cars and Gr4 cars
I don’t race online, but is this car not meta any longer?

Back