Unpopular Opinions- Cars in General

• Thread starter Turbo
  • 1,713 comments
The new Chinese imitation Rover's are interesting cars, and are worthy of the MG name. True to the tradition of the original marque, they even come with questionable build quality as standard! :lol:

Absolutely.

But 2WD and snow tires gets the same job done without all the other assorted penalties of AWD.
I've never driven any of the other E30's (the 325ix was the only AWD), but I'm willing to bet they couldn't back out of my uphill and unpaved driveway and climbed steep hills without issue after snowstorms. I didn't see a single RWD car out on those days. It really does have it's advantages.

Last edited:
Here's one I've been thinking about for a while...

• I can't understand how anyone can willingly buy a brand new "super hot hatch" like a Focus RS or a Golf R when there are so many better performance cars for the money (perhaps not as practical, but if you buy a Focus RS for practical measures, you're missing the point of it totally).
In context, in this province at least, a brand new Focus RS in blue (yes, that nice blue is a 995$ option) after taxes and destination is 58 000$ CAD, and a Golf R comes in around 54k CAD, or anywhere between 43-45k USD. I don't really care about the Golf, I was more shocked about the Focus, so that's what I'll concentrate on, here. That's a lot of money, 350hp and drift mode included, for what is, in the end, an econobox afflicted by the Hoonigan/Ken Block/flatbill hat/vape nation/stancekids movement.

45k USD gets you a few years old C6 Z06, just for starters. Or, you know, a 997.1, Cayman/Boxster S, 2nd gen Viper, E90 M3, 2nd gen CTS-V, C63, RS4-5, Mustang GT, Camaro ZL1, a nearly new Cherokee SRT8, a brand new Challenger SRT392, hell if you were really stupid you could even get a 3 year old 7 series...

Now, of course they're not as practical, most of them aren't as reliable (although anyone buying a Golf R obviously doesn't care about reliabilty because VW), and no one's going to actually cross shop any of these, but hey, at least you're not sitting in an hopped up econobox having to deal with kids in FR-S', Civic Si's, GTi's and Mazdaspeed 3's at every stoplight. I actually called my insurance company earlier this week to get a quote on a Focus RS just for fun, and, for a 35 year old man with a house and a family, let's just say the results were... shocking.

So yeah, in the end, LS7 > Focus RS.

Here's one I've been thinking about for a while...

• I can't understand how anyone can willingly buy a brand new "super hot hatch" like a Focus RS or a Golf R when there are so many better performance cars for the money (perhaps not as practical, but if you buy a Focus RS for practical measures, you're missing the point of it totally).
In context, in this province at least, a brand new Focus RS in blue (yes, that nice blue is a 995$ option) after taxes and destination is 58 000$ CAD, and a Golf R comes in around 54k CAD, or anywhere between 43-45k USD. I don't really care about the Golf, I was more shocked about the Focus, so that's what I'll concentrate on, here. That's a lot of money, 350hp and drift mode included, for what is, in the end, an econobox afflicted by the Hoonigan/Ken Block/flatbill hat/vape nation/stancekids movement.

45k USD gets you a few years old C6 Z06, just for starters. Or, you know, a 997.1, Cayman/Boxster S, 2nd gen Viper, E90 M3, 2nd gen CTS-V, C63, RS4-5, Mustang GT, Camaro ZL1, a nearly new Cherokee SRT8, a brand new Challenger SRT392, hell if you were really stupid you could even get a 3 year old 7 series...

Now, of course they're not as practical, most of them aren't as reliable (although anyone buying a Golf R obviously doesn't care about reliabilty because VW), and no one's going to actually cross shop any of these, but hey, at least you're not sitting in an hopped up econobox having to deal with kids in FR-S', Civic Si's, GTi's and Mazdaspeed 3's at every stoplight. I actually called my insurance company earlier this week to get a quote on a Focus RS just for fun, and, for a 35 year old man with a house and a family, let's just say the results were... shocking.

So yeah, in the end, LS7 > Focus RS.

What if I want to have just 1 car? Or you care about the fact that a hot hatch will use probably half of the fuel that a Corvette will? You're too caught up in your need to let everyone know you spent a lot of money on a car. I'd much prefer buying a Golf R over a used Corvette, or whatever.

That being said:

My another unpopular opinion is that the Focus RS sucks.

What if I want to have just 1 car? Or you care about the fact that a hot hatch will use probably half of the fuel that a Corvette will?

That being said:

My another unpopular opinion is that the Focus RS sucks.

A Focus ST or a Golf GTi will also use less fuel than the Corvette, and will run you a good 15k less than either the RS or R. And actually will be even more practical. And in "real life" situations, an ST or GTi is just as fun as their more expensive brothers, 100hp down or not. And just on the matter of insurance, a Focus ST is about half the money per month when compared to an RS.

So, once again, Z06 > Focus RS.

Car advertisments are annoying

Especially when there is a conspiracy theorists who will take it very seriously. Even the biggest sceptic would feel paranoid. Imagine a same ad all over again (altiugh in this video he reloaded it in a very short period, and I don't know if he gets the same ad, hardly possible for more than a week)

A Focus ST or a Golf GTi will also use less fuel than the Corvette, and will run you a good 15k less than either the RS or R. And actually will be even more practical. And in "real life" situations, an ST or GTi is just as fun as their more expensive brothers, 100hp down or not. And just on the matter of insurance, a Focus ST is about half the money per month when compared to an RS.

So, once again, Z06 > Focus RS.

Some people just find speed exciting, but they also want the practicality of a hatchback and a new car. Not to mention that most super hatches are AWD.

I find pretty much all Alfa Romeos at least unattractive, at worst offensively ugly, in my experience they are as unreliable as their reputation makes out, and anyone who thinks they bare any relationship to being a petrol head is lala..

.. wake-up sheeple!!!!

Timing Belts are better than Timing Chains all factors considered, OHV engines being the exception.

Pre-90s Muscle Cars are pure ugly with nothing but noise.

4th-Gen Chevrolet Camaro is the only good Camaro Gen.

Most hatchbacks look dull and uninspiring.

Grumpert is a fantastic looking car.

-The 996 Turbo S is the best looking Porsche.
-Of all the engine configurations, inline 6 sounds the best. (Flat 4 was close).
-I think the R35 GT-R is over-hyped.

Unsafe At Any Speed is actually worth a read, even though now it almost reads like side commentary to the Nascar rulebook.

Or you care about the fact that a hot hatch will use probably half of the fuel that a Corvette will?

If by "half of the fuel" you mean "comparable amounts of fuel depending on driving habits". The Golf R and especially the Focus are hardly Honda Insights.

Back