Unpopular Opinions- Cars in General

• Thread starter Turbo
  • 1,713 comments
I've never driven any of the other E30's (the 325ix was the only AWD), but I'm willing to bet they couldn't back out of my uphill and unpaved driveway and climbed steep hills without issue after snowstorms. I didn't see a single RWD car out on those days. It really does have it's advantages.

Sandbags and snow tires. :lol: Mind you, I have more working AWD cars than anything else right now, and both are worse than they would be as 2WD variants every single day it isn't snowing like mad, though one is at least better in the rain than it would be without AWD (go figure, that's the one with north of 300hp)

I wasn't speaking for myself--though I do have a 300hp AWD vehicle (that wasn't available in 2WD configuration).

I've got an underpowered AWD (190hp, auto, 3500lbs) that I bought purely because it's impossible to source a FWD Audi 6-speed anywhere in North America for any reasonable amount of money. So it'll be getting the driveline out of an S4.

The other AWD was available as RWD, but they're almost impossible to find as RWD here and I will admit being able to still accelerate every bit as quickly as I can in the dry when it's raining is kinda nice. But then it has 330hp. Still slower off the line than its RWD counterpart because it doesn't have enough power though. :lol:

10 seconds 0 to 60 mph is not dangerously slow. Who accelerates WOT everywhere anyway?

60 seconds 0 to 60, a typical fully loaded big truck WOT acceleration time however...

If by "half of the fuel" you mean "comparable amounts of fuel depending on driving habits". The Golf R and especially the Focus are hardly Honda Insights.
I've driven both the Mustang GT and the Focus RS. Both use roughly the same amount of fuel. On a run, I think the Mustang might actually use a little less.

• Modern Ferraris are amazing

• The Mk.2 Golf Country is the best VW Golf variant

•The Focus RS is better than the Subaru WRX

• The 5th gen Mitsubishi Galant Turbo is better than any Lancer

• Folding Hardtop Infiniti G37s are cool

• The Chrysler T&C is an amazing car

• The 2011 Hyundai Elantra is the best looking sedan

• Ford should have been disqualified from Le Mans 2016

Last edited:
If by "half of the fuel" you mean "comparable amounts of fuel depending on driving habits". The Golf R and especially the Focus are hardly Honda Insights.

Most of the time you're not going balls to the wall, but even then those hatches will use less fuel than a muscle car or whatever.

Most of the time you're not going balls to the wall, but even then those hatches will use less fuel than a muscle car or whatever.

Logic would assume that, however reality has proven otherwise. Most of the rowdy 4 cylinder turbos are geared for performance over economy. Turbo engines tend to run a rich fuel mixture to keep detonation at bay also.

It is no surprise to me that a lightly stressed large engine can match or exceed the economy of a small highly stressed one.

Except... They don't.

The Focus RS is rated at 19 city, 25 highway. A Mustang GT is rated 16 city, 25 highway. A V6 or Ecoboost Mustang matches or beats the Focus in the city and beats it on the highway. A Corvette Stingray is only slightly (17mpg) worse in the city but considerably better (29mpg) on the highway, same for a Camaro SS at 17/28.

And then thrashing them the V8s are almost assuredly better on fuel because they don't have to retard timing and go stupid rich to keep detonation away.

If you want to bring up the fact the Focus is AWD, well, take a look at the German and Japanese compact luxury cars. They're all better on fuel despite potentially having more power and weighing something like 400lbs more, even in AWD variants.

As I said, I hate the Focus RS, so I don't base anything that I say on it. The Golf R, for instance is rated at 7.1l/100km average, while the Mustang GT at 13.5, both in the manual variant. The A45 AMG, the most powerful hatch on sale, at 7.3 (auto only), the BMW M140i at 7.8 (manual), so as you can see, super hatches DO use way less fuel.

In 5 year's time, when it'll have dropped down to 15k or less because probably 95% of them will get trashed (Remember the Neon SRT-4?), the RS be a great buy. But right now, at nearly 50k, I think it's a bit stupid. Even my Evo I would not have bought new, there's no way you can justify spending 40k on what is, in the end, a Mitsubishi Lancer.

I just hate it. I think it looks like a dea fish, its performance is nothing out of the ordinary (it's good, but no better than anything else out there), it's built cheaply and has idiotic gimmicks like drift mode. It would be way down on my list if I had ~£35k to spend on a car.

Wrong thread?
Maybe. It's a car game afterall

Song is awful and perfect example of culutral exploatation of a car. Another car suffering from this problem is Aventador. These videos make cars look like sex idols, when in fact they're far different. I would rather take that Audi on a Norschliefe not stupid summer party. Thankfully, F Type is a lot more isolated from this ********. Not "summery" enough, too sophisticated.

I still think that cars deserve more artistic approach. Something like Need for speed showcase movies

Last edited:
- the 488 is nicer than the 458.
- the Lexus sc430 is not an ugly car.
- manual gearboxes are old tech. Time to let go.
- sticker bomb looks great.
- the majority of all ferraris aren't very beautiful.
- modern Jaguars are overrated.

Is there a cars today that isn't some kind of tuners, or gangsta car? Aventador is both and probably most culturally exploited vehicle today. That's why I prefer obscurities like TVR.

Is there a cars today that isn't some kind of tuners, or gangsta car? Aventador is both and probably most culturally exploited vehicle today. That's why I prefer obscurities like TVR.

Buick Enclave, while not immune from being pimped out, is about as gangster as the phrase "Lets eat Golden Corral after going to Wal-Mart"

Is there a cars today that isn't some kind of tuners, or gangsta car?

A Citroen Berlingo Multispace is about as ungangsta as you can get, it's the sort of car that is totally forgotten about in car culture so no-one is bothered to make it look cool. :P

-FWD cars are just as capable and fun as an RWD or AWD.
-Nissan Skylines are over-rated. (From an American viewpoint)
-Ford makes the best cars right now. (If you're a car enthusiast this may not be an unpopular opinion.)
-Lamborghinis are no longer hardcore, poster cars. Pagani took over that job.
-Porsche engine is not in the wrong place. (They're also not VW Beetles and do not all look the same.)
-Subaru makes poor quality vehicles. (But I still love them)

-A rathar popular unpopular opinion is that FWD is just fine and can be awsome.
-Bazillon dollar Ferraris are extreamly over rated, although they are very beautiful.

- I think it's rather more of a joy to experience a car for its factory performance than modifying it..
- I think some car mods go way too far with the ride height and negative camber.
- I don't care about how "cool" a car is.

EDIT:
I thought of another that goes hand with not caring about car "coolness".
- I think flashy, trophy race car type paint schemes given on performance car trims are awesome. I.E. The Porsche 997 GT3 RS and Ford Mustang Boss 302 Laguna Seca.

Last edited:
Ford makes the best cars right now

Golf and Megane are way better than Focus, C Class is better than its Ford opponent. Mustang is fantastic, and GT is good but any Euro supercar would eat it.

In my opinion almost every car maker lost something.

I never realized what makes 86/BRZ/FRS special. Until I saw Subaru in real life.

As I said, I hate the Focus RS, so I don't base anything that I say on it. The Golf R, for instance is rated at 7.1l/100km average, while the Mustang GT at 13.5, both in the manual variant. The A45 AMG, the most powerful hatch on sale, at 7.3 (auto only), the BMW M140i at 7.8 (manual), so as you can see, super hatches DO use way less fuel.
But not in the real world. As above, I've driven both RS and Mustang GT and doing the same type of driving (be that a gentle motorway cruise or hammering it down a twisty road), the Mustang actually used less.

But not in the real world. As above, I've driven both RS and Mustang GT and doing the same type of driving (be that a gentle motorway cruise or hammering it down a twisty road), the Mustang actually used less.

What part of "I don't care about the RS." do you not understand? It's a terrible car and uses loads of fuel. The German competition uses much less. On the highway you can go as low as 6l/100km in the Golf or BMW.

The VW Golf is built very, very well. However, I don't think they have any flair to them at all - they're a bit boring.

Back