Unpopular Opinions- Cars in General

• Thread starter Turbo
  • 1,713 comments
I actually hate light interior colors as I personally think it spoils the look of a good interior. I much prefer dark moody colors like black or dark grey for my car interiors.
I generally think that for new cars, lighter interiors are better looking than black ones.

On the contrary, I think that black interiors are much more functional in family vehicles like crossovers or minivans than white or beige interiors. Because kids tend to make messes and spill things (causing stains), black is better since you usually do not see the stain on a black seat, but you can notice it right away on a white one.

The Mclaren P1 is the most ultra-brutally extra overrated car in the world.
A simple little Kei Car is much more fun than this generic overpowered hypercar.

Last edited:
Can't tell how much I agree with this^^

I'm certainly not the biggest of Ferrari fans, but I do very much believe modern "Fezza's" are overrated on the looks front. Far from good looking, taking the LaFerrari for example, I think that looks really quite ugly, especially from the rear end, and the F430 and Enzo are some of the biggest offenders on the ugly front with regards to 21st century Ferrari's.

I still maintain that you have to go back to the last century to find a good looking Ferrari, with that being the F355, and possibly the 456M (granted production continued into this century but still :P).

The Mclaren P1 is the most ultra-brutally extra overrated car in the world.
A simple little Kei Car is much more fun than this generic overpowered hypercar.

Do you know what, I'd agree with you to a certain extent on this one, as I think the P1 is definitely over-hyped and overrated, but then again I'm not the biggest candidate for preaching about super cars anyway :lol:. Though on the flip side, I'd say it's the best/most bearable of the hyper car trio, i.e. the 918 and the LaFerrari.

With regards to smaller cars, particularly Kei cars being more fun, again I'd probably agree 9 times out of 10, but I think Kei cars are fantastic anyway, certainly more interesting to me than the P1. But again, I'd usually go for something like that over your usual hyper/super car (with some exceptions), but it's horses for courses add the end day I guess.

I don't think the Gumpert Apollo is that ugly really.

Gumpert Apollo s.jpg

In fact, if anything, I actually think it looks quite good. Especially the standard, "non-S" Apollo, which looks pretty good without the S versions wing and extended body kit if you ask me.

Gumpert Apollo.jpg

Manual transmissions aren't always better.
Not unpopular where I live.
The Toyota Yaris iA is a fantastic looking little car.
Better than our so called "Yaris/Vios":

2014-Toyota-Yaris-Sedan-11-450x337.jpg

Looks so cheap.

I don't think the Gumpert Apollo is that ugly really.

View attachment 666525

In fact, if anything, I actually think it looks quite good. Especially the standard, "non-S" Apollo, which looks pretty good without the S versions wing and extended body kit if you ask me.

View attachment 666524
It doesn't look bad tbh.

Here's an unpopular one...

I'm actually looking forward to autonomous driving cars. There's a lot to work out and they're probably still a long way from being perfect, however, I think it'll be much needed. Probably best explained here:

We've all been angry at some idiot on the road not paying attention. We make mistakes ourselves, no one's perfect.

Here's an unpopular one...

I'm actually looking forward to autonomous driving cars. There's a lot to work out and they're probably still a long way from being perfect, however, I think it'll be much needed. Probably best explained here:

We've all been angry at some idiot on the road not paying attention. We make mistakes ourselves, no one's perfect.

To be honest, I'm not sure why people are even interested about it. I don't find it any different between some bored middle age man driving or computer do it for him. People should be more worried and caring about safety and emissions rather than being too lazy to drive for several minutes up. (Or 1-2 hour of driving).

In the meanwhile, why people don't just stick with public transport or hire some driver if they could.

To be honest, I'm not sure why people are even interested about it. I don't find it any different between some bored middle age man driving or computer do it for him. People should be more worried and caring about safety and emissions rather than being too lazy to drive for several minutes up. (Or 1-2 hour of driving).

In the meanwhile, why people don't just stick with public transport or hire some driver if they could.

To anyone who isn't into cars, driving is a chore. They have "better" things to do than to simply drive. That's why I feel that autonomous driving is necessary for these kind of people. The ones who see cars as an appliance and couldn't care less about what they do with them. People are lazy. I personally would not want to be forced to be in autonomous car, but I'd be happier if all those people who prefer texting over driving to not have a hand on a steering wheel.

As for public transit, people like their privacy. Hard to convince someone to ride the bus/train to the grocery store or work when you end up next to someone sick during a flu outbreak for example. Also, you can't exactly bring something like a large TV or fridge that you bought on a bus.

To anyone who isn't into cars, driving is a chore. They have "better" things to do than to simply drive.

Right, "important tasks" such as texting, browsing social media, fussing with their appearance, etc. All of those things TOTALLY take precedence over driving. I think the real problem here is we're trying to change to benefit (at best) people with borked priorities or (at worst) idiots. Regardless of how you feel about driving, when behind the wheel, your full attention, or at least as much as possible, should be focused on driving. Its a point that gets constantly stressed to anyone who uses a motor vehicle, yet autonomous driving is being pushed specifically because of people who go against that. That's like making laws more lax because people just break them anyway. From a purely technological standpoint though, autonomous driving is interesting. Its a cool concept, honestly.

Not trying to attack you or anything, MedigoFlame. Just had some snark in me at the beginning there cause of the subject. You hit the nail on the head, but I just feel like its wrong to cater to people just because they don't care.

I've always felt like the biggest concerns with driverless cars are reliability, and what would happen if said system were to fail.

Right, "important tasks" such as texting, browsing social media, fussing with their appearance, etc. All of those things TOTALLY take precedence over driving. I think the real problem here is we're trying to change to benefit (at best) people with borked priorities or (at worst) idiots. Regardless of how you feel about driving, when behind the wheel, your full attention, or at least as much as possible, should be focused on driving. Its a point that gets constantly stressed to anyone who uses a motor vehicle, yet autonomous driving is being pushed specifically because of people who go against that. That's like making laws more lax because people just break them anyway. From a purely technological standpoint though, autonomous driving is interesting. Its a cool concept, honestly.

Not trying to attack you or anything, MedigoFlame. Just had some snark in me at the beginning there cause of the subject. You hit the nail on the head, but I just feel like its wrong to cater to people just because they don't care.

Unfortunately we're in the minority as people who enjoy driving. These people have the money that some of us as car enthusiasts don't. Especially in the United States, people see a license as a right more than a privilege. Still disgusts me to this day, but I remember back in high school hearing a girl in the hallway brag about getting her license by crying after she failed the examination. Oh. And her parents bought her a brand new Volvo as a "reward." It's the majority that speaks and that majority is people who couldn't care less about driving. As for the laws example, sometimes all it takes is money to speak.

To many people, the destination matters more than the trip. Which is more of the opposite for me, but everyone's in a hurry to get where they want to be. Watching people run lights/stop signs just to get to the grocery store or fast food restaurant.... There's no reason to rush, it's better to make it to your destination than to not make it at all.

I almost want to give up on driving dealing with all these idiots on the road.

I've always felt like the biggest concerns with driverless cars are reliability, and what would happen if said system were to fail.

Which is why I'm sure it'll take a long time before it becomes an everyday thing. Heck, may not even be within our lifetime. There's so many things to work out with autonomous cars that who knows when it'll even be a thing.

Last edited:
I'd rather own a full-equipped non luxury car than a base package luxury car. For example, I'd take a Camry XSE over the lowest Lexus ES trim.

I'd rather own a full-equipped non luxury car than a base package luxury car. For example, I'd take a Camry XSE over the lowest Lexus ES trim.

Most people would buy a base luxury car over a mainstream one just because of the badge. Can't help but think about all those "posers" in leased BMW 320i's driving around.

On the other hand, I'd be happy with a loaded 340i over a base 530i. Though, some people would see it's worth because of the size difference.

Yes, computers and technology are fantastic, but I do fear greatly when such autonomous systems do fail. I'm not suggesting that we should turn our backs on it completely, because not everyone finds driving fun. Yet if we rely on it TOO MUCH problems can arise. You can't always count on technology to work properly at all times, so removing the driver's input could be suicidal. But you know what I find ironic? I grow up in the hope that I can drive a car, only to see driverless vehicle tech come about... Curiously enough, this tech could be of a benefit to me because of my crippling muscle condition.

I strongly disagree with his statements :) But i understand what thread this is and we're all entitled to our opinions :)
You know guys, I'm just a stupid kid. Don't mind me.
I just don't like the hypercars. For example, I love every single Lamborghini, from 350GT to Huracán. Except the Centenario. Why? Because it wants to be a car-God so hard. That's it.

Last edited:

To a car enthusiast, this probably isn't that unpopular. To the general public, probably more so.

Yes, computers and technology are fantastic, but I do fear greatly when such autonomous systems do fail. I'm not suggesting that we should turn our backs on it completely, because not everyone finds driving fun. Yet if we rely on it TOO MUCH problems can arise. You can't always count on technology to work properly at all times, so removing the driver's input could be suicidal. But you know what I find ironic? I grow up in the hope that I can drive a car, only to see driverless vehicle tech come about...
So just like commercial planes?

So just like commercial planes?

To be fair, taxiing, takeoffs and landings are still human-controlled and will be for quite some time. Also some airlines require the pilots to take manual control at certain points during the flight for a short while just to make sure everything is in working order.

@Turbo Does opinions about driving count towards this thread? Or do they belong in the general thread in the Rumble Strip? I'll post it here for now....

At least in the United States, I absolutely hate the general idea of right (or left) on red. It's all based off of people's judgement and that judgement is not always right. Oh so many times I've dealt with people who'd misjudge someone's speed and take a right on red far too late and end up slowing traffic down. What irks me more is the impatience people have towards others who aren't as willing to take a right on red. Especially when there's signs that specifically say "NO TURN ON RED" but still honk at you angrily because of their expectations that every intersection allows a turn on red. I can't blame people for not wanting to take a right on red, especially if it's a blind corner or someone in a huge vehicle blocking your view. It's much safer to just wait for the light to turn green.... Heck I had one douchebag in a lifted truck purposely block my view by inching forward as I was trying to take a right on red as "payback" for me letting someone else out into the intersection. Turning on a red light is a terrible idea....

I actually don't mind the latest VW Beetle
View attachment 667983

I honestly really like the current Beetle. If only they made a new RSI based off the current global rallycross Beetles.

Back