Unpopular Opinions- Cars in General

• Thread starter Turbo
  • 1,705 comments
Not sure if this would be an unpopular opinion. But I find the previous generation Jaguar XJ more attractive than the current one. I feel like it's aged well.
2004_Jaguar_SuperV82.jpg

Not sure if this would be an unpopular opinion. But I find the previous generation Jaguar XJ more attractive than the current one. I feel like it's aged well.
2004_Jaguar_SuperV82.jpg

I'm starting to warm towards the X350/X358 version of the XJ more too. Seen a couple crop up near me, and the more I see them, the more classy, and well aged they seem to get. And in-fact, compared to the current XJ, I think they look better now, as my opinions changed, they just generally look more stylish and elegant than the current gen, the more I see of them.

Plus, there's one round by me that looks like it's been lowered slightly. Pretty much the same as that one above, only it's in the Silver/Gunmetal that they used to be be in, and it just looks so cool and collected.

The refresh of the previous one with the M5 front end was unfortunate, but I thought the current XJ looked like something Hyundai would come up with even before everyone started copying it.

And one more thing...
As much as i love this car and understand why people love it, i gotta say that the Toyota Supra is a bit overrated in some ways. The fanboy's kinda ruins the car for me.
View attachment 651370

Don't get me wrong, i still love it but no way it's the absolute best car in the world as some fans suggest.

Have to agree with this. Always found the styling of the Mk IV a little bloaty and unappealling. Would like it more if it was an absolute weapon, but it wasn't.

Here's one: The Ferrari 456 was one of the most elegant cars they ever made (and a bit of an affordable sleeper, in Ferrari terms)

1995Ferrari456GT.jpg

I find land yachts quite boring.
Isn't that a popular opinion? I'm pretty sure everyone agree on that one.

2004_Jaguar_SuperV82.jpg
One of our neighbors owns both the Current Gen XJ and older XJ (not sure which one but it's from the 90's or 80's so not the image above) but i gotta agree with you. It feels more classy IMO.

I find land yachts quite boring.
For me, it depends on the yacht. Older, American land-yachts are typically plain and uninteresting. Take the Cadillac Brougham as an example:

85-92_Cadillac_Brougham.jpg

Styling couldn't get much more boxy. I can't name anything desirable about that whale of a car.

On the contrary, I generally find newer European yachts, such as the current Jaguar XJL, very interesting.

The refresh of the previous one with the M5 front end was unfortunate, but I thought the current XJ looked like something Hyundai would come up with even before everyone started copying it.

I would assume you're talking about this one?
2008_Jaguar_XJ_9581.jpg

Yeah...not great.

Unpopular opinion: The Maserati MC12 is not an attractive car and it's relative, the Ferrari Enzo, is much more handsome.

I like it when people take a rare and/or expensive car outside of a garage and drive it in unconventional ways such as driving it off the road or track. It's much better than simply letting the car rest in an air-conditioned hangar.

Miata is not always the answer...or never if you're talking about the market over here.

I believe that the MX5 is a bit too low in terms of Horsepower to fit our "Bigger is always better" market and that they should sell a far more faster version. I wouldn't mind if they got rid of the Convertible top in favor of a Coupe layout. $30000 for something less practical than a GT86 or a Mustang Ecoboost isn't worth paying for IMO. Driving experience and 50/50? Doesn't matter in a place full of pot holes and nothing but straight lines and highways really. It does matter but it would be dull as hell driving in those type of roads I believe.

I started to think I might as well get the much cheaper Mazda 2 hatchback with Manuel and chuck it around the corners.

Don't get me wrong, I love MX5's since the days of Gran Turismo 1 but I feel like it doesn't fit where I live nor my taste sadly.

Miata is not always the answer...or never if you're talking about the market over here.

I believe that the MX5 is a bit too low in terms of Horsepower to fit our "Bigger is always better" market and that they should sell a far more faster version. I wouldn't mind if they got rid of the Convertible top in favor of a Coupe layout. $30000 for something less practical than a GT86 or a Mustang Ecoboost isn't worth paying for IMO. Driving experience and 50/50? Doesn't matter in a place full of pot holes and nothing but straight lines and highways really. It does matter but it would be dull as hell driving in those type of roads I believe.

I started to think I might as well get the much cheaper Mazda 2 hatchback with Manuel and chuck it around the corners.

Don't get me wrong, I love MX5's since the days of Gran Turismo 1 but I feel like it doesn't fit where I live nor my taste sadly.
Wouldn't a Mazda2 be even less fitting, though?

I wouldn't mind if they got rid of the Convertible top in favor of a Coupe layout.
Yes! I've always been bewildered by Mazda's decision to only sell the Miata as a roadster. I get that is what the car is about, but how hard is it to slap a fixed hardtop on the thing? Hell, I woulda bought one years ago. No, the removable or retractable hardtops aren't substitutes.

That's a decent whack of extra engineering work to make a version of a car for a market segment that collapsed 20 years ago when they already do have a folding hardtop.

Last edited:
Yes! I've always been bewildered by Mazda's decision to only sell the Miata as a roadster. I get that is what the car is about, but how hard is it to slap a fixed hardtop on the thing? Hell, I woulda bought one years ago. No, the removable or retractable hardtops aren't substitutes.

Thing is, they've already done it before.

07677ac9364c6c189291c47c8dda11b4.jpg

Only in limited numbers and for the Japanese market. And then there was this,

comment_4Xm916LNSgZSfk2nD5X1AZ0xxb4EgqJJ.jpg

...which I'm pretty sure was only a one-off; a proof-of-concept type thing. So there has to be some interest within Mazda for the idea as well, or at least there was at one point.

Wouldn't a Mazda2 be even less fitting, though?
Ignore it, I went a bit too far with that one but i actually liked the Mazda 2 when i went to the Dealership earlier. Not that it's exciting or anything, just a nice basic car IMO. As for the MX5, well apart from "wallpaper" of the ND, the car itself wasn't even at the showroom at all.
Based on the MX5 NA and NC owners over here, most of them ether keep the roof up (NC) or replace it with a Hardtop (NA Owners). I'm not a big fan of Soft tops anyways but i wonder how much cheaper it would be with a hardtop tho? Probably not much really.

9e10d385ad9ea78ce95cc258ac8ea316.jpg

2946_WH_170315_Mazda_MX-5_Anas13-_Read-Only_-large.jpg

When it comes to new cars, I like white, or very light beige, interiors with wood panelling.

The Volvo S90 interior is a perfect example of this:

2017-Volvo-S90-Interior-GD104.png

I actually hate light interior colors as I personally think it spoils the look of a good interior. I much prefer dark moody colors like black or dark grey for my car interiors.

Unpopular opinion: TVR cars look better in normal colors, rather than flashy color-shift paint schemes.

Back