Unpopular Opinions- Cars in General

• Thread starter Turbo
  • 1,713 comments
-Vtec is probably useless for going fast, any other car with a decent engine will beat it. Maybe the one on the S2000, but other than that...

-Mopar parts are only useful if you get into an accident

-People who say the V6 F-Type is better than the V8 need to reevaluate

That's already not true, since "real world economy of car X" isn't a difficult thing to type into your web browser, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you haven't just been cherry picking information this whole time.

It's not really about that. I don't want to take any real world economy results, because they're not standardized. No driver is the same. One car may have results with a 20mpg spread.

I'll instead just ask for you to explain this bit here:

Because according to EU ratings, the Focus RS only is off the BMW's fuel usage by .3l/100km (7.8 vs 8.1). That's neither loads of fuel for the Focus nor is the German competition in this case using much less.

That is true, but the BMW is the most thirsty out of the bunch. The Golf R is rated at 7.1 (manual) and the A45 AMG at 7.3. I will say though that I did over exaggerate the difference.

Or say where this bit came from:

Because I can't see any official fuel ratings that say that either of those cars can get the US equivalent of 39 mpg on the highway. In fact, I can't see anyone on Volkswagen fan forums saying that they have matched the EU highway ratings in the first place, let alone exceed them by nearly 20%.

The Golf is rated at 5.9l/100km on the highway, the BMW at as low as 5.8, depending on gearbox and drivetrain. On forums:

Here the OP managed 41 mpg:
http://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/14617-mpg/

Here is a big thread on the BMW, some people managed over 40 (keep in mind that there's a new M140i just launched, which is supposed to be more efficient):
http://www.babybmw.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=87780&start=15

• The Honda CR-Z doesn't get enough respect
  • I would prefer owning a V6 muscle car rather than a V8

The Golf is rated at 5.9l/100km on the highway, the BMW at as low as 5.8, depending on gearbox and drivetrain.
That just makes the official ratings those cars get in the EU even sillier. You could drop the BMW from orbit and it wouldn't get 40 US MPG on the way down. I do concede that you did get them from an official source, though.

So the equivalent of 34.

Here is a big thread on the BMW, some people managed over 40 (keep in mind that there's a new M140i just launched, which is supposed to be more efficient):
http://www.babybmw.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=87780&start=15
So the equivalent of over 33.

Again, where does the "way less fuel" come into play compared to this:

KIMG1729_zpsorfrfvpx.jpg

Knock 2 off that for overzealous DIC readings and it's still right in the thick of it.

Last edited:
  • I like lowered trucks and SUV's.
  • Performance trucks and SUV's are cool.
  • I'd rather have a smaller turbocharged engine than a V8.
  • I5's are the coolest engine configuration ever.
  • More cars and small trucks should have diesel engines.
  • Factory performance vehicles are often going to be way better than something cobbled together in some guy's garage.
  • Performance parts don't do as much as people think they do.
  • Tires and brakes are way more important than speed parts.
  • Manual transmission purest are irritating, if you really want to save the manuals, quit buying used cars.

The noise of a cross-plane crankshaft V8 is not very appealing.
I mostly agree, though there are some exceptions like the Dino V8 in the Ferrari 355/360 and the new Mustang 350, as well as various racing engines (Judd, Cosworth and BMW to name a few).
-Vtec is probably useless for going fast,
Do you know what VTEC is?
any other car with a decent engine will beat it. Maybe the one on the S2000, but other than that...
That's like sayiong; any car with an Otto cycle engine is useless because a car with a fighter jet engine will beat it.
I hate the new engine turning technology.
What does this even mean?

I mostly agree, though there are some exceptions like the Dino V8 in the Ferrari 355/360 and the new Mustang 350, as well...

Those are all flat plane, which in many cases do sound like 2 inline 4s having a fist fight under the hood. I like the sounds they make at high RPM, down low it depends... I like many inline 4 notes too, and cross plane V8s...

Is this really unpopular? Who would want a Rolls with a manual?
SVX
I wouldn't put it past some people...
I wouldn't want a Rolls anyway, but if I did, I'd take one in a manual. I'd sooner take a 4x4 vehicle with an automatic because there's a practical case for that. A Rolls is just for driving, and I prefer a manual for all my driving. No one has ever explained why I shouldn't.

I mostly agree, though there are some exceptions like the Dino V8 in the Ferrari 355/360 and the new Mustang 350, as well as various racing engines (Judd, Cosworth and BMW to name a few).
Like @LM7325 said, a flat-plane crankshaft V8 is different. :) I'm talking about the low, snorting, guttural sound of a cross-plane crankshaft V8, which isn't entirely unappealing, but isn't so epic to me to justify the worship it receives. But I'm fond of some other harsh or snorting sounds, like the furious buzz of a ported rotary or the cute putt-putt of a small single-cylinder motorcycle.

Touchscreen infotainment systems are awful.

Modern Fords, apart from the Mustang, the Taurus and the Edge, are ugly.

Hatchbacks and wagons are cool.

Volvos are cool.

a flat-plane crankshaft V8 is different. :) I'm talking about the low, snorting, guttural sound of a cross-plane crankshaft V8, which isn't entirely unappealing, but isn't so epic to me to justify the worship it receives.
I misread your initial post, I thought you were talking about flat plane V8s.

My mistake.

-Vtec is probably useless for going fast, any other car with a decent engine will beat it.
"Faster car will beat slower car"

Well that's turned the world on its head.
I wouldn't want a Rolls anyway, but if I did, I'd take one in a manual. I'd sooner take a 4x4 vehicle with an automatic because there's a practical case for that. A Rolls is just for driving, and I prefer a manual for all my driving. No one has ever explained why I shouldn't.
Not strictly true - several have explained, you just don't accept their explanations as being valid ;)

Not strictly true - several have explained, you just don't accept their explanations as being valid ;)
:lol:

I was referring to my preference. There are common factual errors stated in favor of manual transmissions that are worth debunking (eg. "they're faster!" "they're more fuel efficient!"), but how can you explain away a preference? There are the stupid teenagers, and I was one, but what the 🤬 does it matter if someone who has a healthy respect for the factual and subjective benefits of an automatic still prefers a manual transmission in almost any circumstance?

So here's another contribution toward the thread subject:
The anti-manual-purist sentiment is as guilty of shaming differences of opinion as the vocal anti-automatic purists. It's a different flavor of elitism.

:lol:

I was referring to my preference. There are common factual errors stated in favor of manual transmissions that are worth debunking (eg. "they're faster!" "they're more fuel efficient!"), but how can you explain away a preference? There are the stupid teenagers, and I was one, but what the 🤬 does it matter if someone who has a healthy respect for the factual and subjective benefits of an automatic still prefers a manual transmission in almost any circumstance?

So here's another contribution toward the thread subject:
The anti-manual-purist sentiment is as guilty of shaming differences of opinion as the vocal anti-automatic purists. It's a different flavor of elitism.

I guess you could probably say due to preference that you'd have a large majority of your cars manual and that's fine - but your necessity for manualised luxury cars and the like would probably be an unpopular opinion in itself. ;)

I wanted that manual 750i in The Transporter, I have read that transmission is kind of rubbish but, manual 750i...

Back