Unpopular Opinions - General Thread

• Thread starter Carbonox
  • 2,977 comments
My biggest gripe with Super Bowl commercials is that they show all of them prior to the game so I'm no longer interested in them when they actually come on the TV.

I'm alright with bands like Slipknot existing, but I can't stand how they've pretty much just made everyone think that all metal subgenres = black metal.

I think it still is with most car enthusiasts who want EVERYBODY to know that manual transmissions are 'better feeling' and 'connect you with the road more' or some other horse****
Each to their own I guess. I'd still always choose sequential over manual.

I kinda agree with him. Or those "PC master race" guys.
Yyyyyeah and it would make sense if everyone who enjoyed a manual gearbox was the Jalopnik stereotype but, here comes the shocker, they're not.

Let's also not forget the fact that many more people will have had 1st hand experience with a manual than a sequential gearbox so can't really make a fair comparison.

Yyyyyeah and it would make sense if everyone who enjoyed a manual gearbox was the Jalopnik stereotype but, here comes the shocker, they're not.

Let's also not forget the fact that many more people will have had 1st hand experience with a manual than a sequential gearbox so can't really make a fair comparison.

You're missing the whole point. It's exactly those Jalopnik stereotypes I'm talking (and maybe @Silver Arrows as well)

Every single "die hard" (or whatever they call themselves) petrolheads bash sequential (single and dual clutch) gearboxes because they are not the full experience of driving pleasure. And they just won't shut up about how good manual gearboxes are, and then they become whining, name calling 🤬 that just can't accpet that a sequential gearbox is great fun as well.

Much like "PC Master Race". They just won't shut up about how good PCs are and then become annoying as all hell and can't accept that consoles can be amazing and good fun.

I prefer a manual and the PC, but my dad owns a Golf GTE with a DSG gearbox and it's a really fun car and I have a PS4 and spent great afternoons playing local multiplayer with my brother, so I can appreciate both. Some people can't and that's annoying.

Arguing about manual and sequential gearboxes...you all know sequential gearboxes, in most applications are manual, right? I think you're all confusing a manual box with an H pattern box. Manual refers to input operation and sequential refers to the alinement of the gears.

I thought Ghostbusters 2016 was alright.

I'm also one of few who thought it wasn't as terrible as it was made out to be.

Arguing about manual and sequential gearboxes...you all know sequential gearboxes, in most applications are manual, right? I think you're all confusing a manual box with an H pattern box. Manual refers to input operation and sequential refers to the alinement of the gears.

Well, yes I know that. I've become aware of such fact after attending a presentation about clutches. I learnt that a DCT is a manual, well two manuals. We're arguing about the H-Pattern vs. Paddle Shifter.

Well, yes I know that. I've become aware of such fact after attending a presentation about clutches. I learnt that a DCT is a manual, well two manuals. We're arguing about the H-Pattern vs. Paddle Shifter.
Well a twin clutch box is structurally two manuals mashed together, it's still technically a type of automatic apparently. But a sequential manual is a manual, just not an H pattern.

I like having structure in my life. Things that don't have structure irritate me considerably, e.g art class in Year 11. There's no real guidelines, which I hate. As a result, I will get the subject changed.

I like having structure in my life. Things that don't have structure irritate me considerably, e.g art class in Year 11. There's no real guidelines, which I hate. As a result, I will get the subject changed.
Join the military, or go to prison. Plenty of structure. I chose the army, myself.

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas is overrated.

The gun sounds are terrible, the story is laughable, CJ's voice acting is diabolical, the draw distance can't keep up when you drive fast and despite the more varied environments I don't think the graphics are as good as Vice City.

It's not a bad game, in fact it's reasonable enough, but it's nowhere near top tier. Not as good as people would have you believe.

I think driving tuition should include a cycling safety unit. Not necessarily that learners should be put out on the road on a bike but some education on dealing with bicycles/ motorcycles encountered in certain situations on the road might help reduce accidents.

And to go into even more unpopular territory I don't think it would be a bad idea to make cyclists in major, busy cities require safety testing and licencing in the same way a moped rider requires compulsory basic training.

Seafood is hugely overrated, about the only thing palatable thing is calamari. The rest is cat food.

Speaking of cats they are arseholes and the world would be a better place without them.

Being a Brit, I have to disagree on the above statement...

Takeaway-Fish-and-Chips-008.jpg

Being a Brit..

I do believe Shaun is also a Brit.

I agree with you though, there isn't much better than a well made fish'n'chips.

Speaking of cats they are arseholes and the world would be a better place without them.

Strangely, I've never encountered an Australian who likes cats. I understand that they seem to be a major pest out there and there are culls in order to reduce population sizes.

Personally I love them, but they are total arseholes most of the time.

Strangely, I've never encountered an Australian who likes cats. I understand that they seem to be a major pest out there and there are culls in order to reduce population sizes.

Yeah to be fair this is my only dislike of them, we like to attract as many native birds to our garden as possible and when the neighbourhood cats are around it just doesn't happen.

How does one drive a manual with auto? :odd:

:P

:lol: My bad, my first time driving was with manual, and I spent 90% of my driving in real life with manual, which is why I prefer it. Most of the autos I drove were from older gen, mostly not dual clutch with paddle for example. I just felt there's something missing when driving an auto, my feet are itching for heel/toe and fun stuff with the clutch ( traffic light drag launch ) :P

Back