Unpopular Opinions - General Thread

• Thread starter Carbonox
  • 2,977 comments
Games should probably cost more than $60.

Mostly because I'd rather see less studios getting closed because of one flop. The AAA market is very weird.

It's worth noting that Crash Bandicoot The N'Sane Trilogy was only $40 when it came out and well, it certainly sold! (Not just for the low price itself though)

Mostly because I'd rather see less studios getting closed because of one flop. The AAA market is very weird.
Come to Australia, where Nintendo games are 80 and you'd be lucky to find a PS4 or Xbox ONE game that isn't 100.

I paid £50 back in ‘95 for a cartridge of Mortal Kombat 3 for the Sega MegaDrive. If new premium games cost more than $60 these days I don’t think that’s too expensive in comparison.

I paid £50 back in ‘95 for a cartridge of Mortal Kombat 3 for the Sega MegaDrive. If new premium games cost more than $60 these days I don’t think that’s too expensive in comparison.
Right, and people seem to forget that games have cost $60 since the '90's (a lot of N64 games were closer to $70 if I recall) and adjusted for inflation (using a simple online calculator), USD $60 in 1995 is the same as about $99 today. With the higher costs to make games today, they should be way more than $60.

I still wonder how AAA games even exist anymore, but I suppose that's why we see so much paid DLC and premium, more expensive versions, of games. We should be happy they're still $60, but it seems like sometimes the quality of games takes a hit these days. Game developers are in a tricky spot.

I still wonder how AAA games even exist anymore, but I suppose that's why we see so much paid DLC and premium, more expensive versions, of games. We should be happy they're still $60, but it seems like sometimes the quality of games takes a hit these days. Game developers are in a tricky spot.

I think they're still doing okay. GTA5, as of May '14, had made revenue of almost $2billion off the back of shifting 30 million copies. They've now shifted 80 million copies. Star Wars: The Force Awakens made $2billion at the box office. If it's still profitable to make new Star Wars films, it's still profitable to make Triple A games.

I think they're still doing okay. GTA5, as of May '14, had made revenue of almost $2billion off the back of shifting 30 million copies. They've now shifted 80 million copies. Star Wars: The Force Awakens made $2billion at the box office. If it's still profitable to make new Star Wars films, it's still profitable to make Triple A games.
True, true. I don't think they will be going anywhere anytime soon. But there is no denying the increase in DLC and microtransactions these days. Which, in the case of GTA5 probably contributed to those revenues quite a bit. Just seems to be moving to a different business model with games. It's now base game plus DLC and MTs for success. I have no issues with that, myself, but the days of getting a "complete" game at $60 are long gone.

You're not alone.

TBH, I think it's a copy.

Look at Blizzard's games. All of them are derivative. That's what they do.

Of course, the other part of what they do is take an established game type and polish the everloving bejeesus out of it. That's why the games are so popular. Not because they're something new and fancy, but because they're something well established and Blizzard simply makes a really, really, really good version.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm not a fan when a game using licensed assets (cars, parts, whatever) uses fake/made-up brands to use as billboards and such. To me it lessens the impact of that game world because its like, "I'm driving around in a McDonald's sponsored Nissan yet there's a billboard there advertising something I have no idea of). Like it bugs me that the TS030 in GTS still has a barcode in place where the official logos should be.

If nothing else, I guess I should also say that I'm personally a fan of product placements/advertising in media, but only when they're done reasonably well or so bad that they cross over into amusingly funny.

A late response, but there shouldn't be a reason to raise the price of games.... Microtransactions are for profit and publishers are only pushing to see how far they can get away with making people spend more. I'd highly recommend watching this.

Unpopular opinion related to the above discussion:

Videogames are not suffering from an industry-wide plague of buggy unpolished titles, games that are incomplete at launch, crazy-big and numerous patches, greedy DLC & microtransactions, and so on. That only represents a slice of what's available, primarily from certain large publishers who produce games in only a handful of popular genres.

If one of those genres is your thing and you want to keep up with popular and aggressively marketed games backed by the corrupt gaming media for the benefit of online multiplayer or something, that's unfortunate, and I understand your dilemma. However, I'm tired of this being regarded as if it's the sad but all-encompassing reality. I think it unfairly disregards the plentiful exceptions and great games that deserve to be recognized.

Not to single out or pick on @SPhilli911, but the days of getting a "complete" game at $60 are long gone...only if you limit yourself to buying the sort of games that are now notorious for the trend. ;)

Speaking of Halloween.

Horror is one of my least favourite genres.

Problem is that I go into them like the cliche stubborn 🤬 character in horror movies, the only thing that gets me is jump scares and those are mostly just reactions and not actual fear since I just shrug things like this off almost immediately. I just don't get in the right mindset to enjoy them

Unpopular opinion: cultural appropriation doesn't exist.
Except it does. Pretty much every culture has appropriated elements from others at some point.

What exactly is considered cultural appropriation and whether or not it’s right or wrong is another question on it’s own. Is that what you had in mind?

Shirts that are plain except for one tiny (as in size of an average card) logo are absolutely hideous.

I like clothes with logos but when they are small in the chest area it just enters the uncanny valley, rather it just be a pure plain shirt.

Mac and cheese, at least with straight cheddar cheese, is terrible. Much prefer it with a white cheese, almost done up in a white pasta sauce sort of way.

It looks and feels too human?
Ok, so perhaps I need to look more into vocabulary :lol:

I meant in the sense that there is nothing and something but there is a point in something that is worse than nothing. Though granted don't know what that word would be :lol:

Shirts that are plain except for one tiny (as in size of an average card) logo are absolutely hideous.

I like clothes with logos but when they are small in the chest area it just enters the uncanny valley, rather it just be a pure plain shirt.
That's the most egregious example of badge engineering (designing if you prefer). :lol:

Back