Unpopular Opinions - General Thread

• Thread starter Carbonox
  • 2,977 comments
I feel like it is impossible to say a game is objectively better as what qualifies as a good quality game depends on the person.

I found GT5 the better game as most MR cars weren't 🤬 (I can never forgive GT6 for making my favourite cars (Opel Speedster Turbo & Mobil 1 NSX) unplayable). I liked the separate B-Spec mode and building up your driver roster as well as your cars. Licence Tests weren't mandatory in GT5 (it always my least favourite thing in any GT game). Events in GT5 felt less like just ticks of a bucket list unlike GT6 which felt that way until you got to the ia events (at least for me).

Sonic 06 story wasn't that bad.

Ok so the love story makes me want to watch Twilight and the Time Travelling doesn't make sense mostly. However, Shadow and Silvers journey as well learning about Solaris from Mephiles and Iblis was pretty engaging. After multiple games about Shadow's past, Sonic 06 changes it and instead focuses on Shadow's future and how it doesn't get any better for him. Meanwhile Silver was basically Future Trunks story from DBZ but I don't have a problem with that.

- You're Gonna Go Far, Kid is an incredibly overrated Offspring song.
- In Utero is better than Nevermind
- Nickelback gets far too much hate. Creed is a far worse Post-Grunge band.
- 90's Punk is far better than 2000's Punk.

- I don't like Legend of Zelda games.
- I think the original fat PS3 is one of the best looking video game consoles ever made. I also think it is one of the greatest, due to it being able to natively play PS1, PS2 and PS3 games.

Nickelback gets far too much hate. Creed is a far worse Post-Grunge band.
I have to agree on this one massively, sure they produced some 🤬 but I can listen to Edge of a Revolution any day of the week.

- Mario Party actually gets better from the N64 days. Mario Party's 6 through 8 are the greatest, with 10 and 4 just behind.

- Games where you unlock everything from the beginning are almost lack lusting in reasons to play. What's the point of going through the campaign if I can just go to the quick match/race with everything I already have?

- Pluto is still a real planet to me dammit.

Shipping fan fiction? People write fiction about UPS and FedEx? Those must be the most boring stories, although I guess it could explain why my packages are late.

Maersk!

* * * Chapter 7 * * *​

Lord Standiford waited calmly beside the river, deciding upon his next course of action. He knew Captain Manf's next move could form a blockade against his Brown Parcels. He grinned to nobody in particular, and then heaved a loadstone into the rushing waters, which would give him luck against the Swift Violet and their Flying Tigers. But also wanted to careful, because a decimated army of his left-turning vanguard might leave them open to attack by D'Achel, who has copious amounts of TNT at the ready. A ground phalanx led by the duo of Jay Beeunt and Schnigh Der, arriving from Iowa Eighty could easily lead to what the Union Pacific calls "Intermodal Madness"...the likes of which would lead to thousands of miles slabs of reinforced concrete and asphalt slathered from the Argentine Yards to faraway Crete. These battles raged on for millennia, upon the Silk Road, the Rayon Path, the Polyester Parkway, all claiming to be the true descendants of the Great DOT.​

I find Disney parks to be boring. Cedar Fair and Six Flags parks are much better.
They are massively overhyped in Australia since we lack one, it seems like every 4th persons dream here is to go to a Disney Park :lol:

Legend of Korra Season 1 message of prejudice wasn't bad at all.

Now I'm not the biggest fan of the Avatar franchise at all, it just never was my element :sly:, Legend of Korra wasn't any better than The Last Airbender (Love Triangle and pointless Pro Bending in the 1st season :yuck:)

I hear one of the biggest complaints from season 1 is its message of prejudice and how it isn't shown at all, only told and like to compare it to Zootopia.

I think not showing the prejudice was a great move and makes the message different to Zootopia and shouldn't be compared.

Zootopia was all about the individual and how anyone is capable of being anything even in a world filled with prejudice and stereotypes. It's simple but a very effective plot.

Legend of Korra fills more like the idea of "the boy who cried racist", with non-benders crying out of discrimination and oppression despite the world having no evidence to speak of, as if they were manipulated by the villain, as all the non-benders can do is cry prejudice despite there is no prejudice to speak of shown. The dangers of dividing the world through "race-baiting" especially when the leader of the movement is revealed to be a bender itself.

I always felt Season 1 of Korra wasn't about non-benders rising up from prejudice but more about how bad victim complexes can go.

Characters > Everything else in a movie or tv show.

Your story might suck, the plot might suck, the visuals might suck but if you have good characters, you'll automatically get a passing grade from me. If the characters develop, a good grade even.

This especially applies to big live action movies and their big actors. Animated movies have the benefit of somewhat hiding their actors so I can enjoy the characters. Live Action already is stuck with a handicap. If your selling point for characters is the actor themselves, you already fail to me. If you're an actor and can't differentiate yourself with your character, you fail as an actor to me (*cough* Dwayne Johnson *cough*). This of course comes down to personal taste but I want to see characters not actors and the actor should be able to provide the character their playing to the best of their abilities, not themselves.

Of coarse some people watch movies for the actors themselves which is fine, like I said before it all comes down to personal taste, and those kind of movies where it's more about the actor than the character, and actors who are most known for themselves instead of their character tend to fail me.

- Nickelback gets far too much hate.
Agreed. I never really understood why they got so much hate. I don't really listen to Creed though.

- I think the original fat PS3 is one of the best looking video game consoles ever made. I also think it is one of the greatest, due to it being able to natively play PS1, PS2 and PS3 games.
Amen! I do think the fat PS3 looked the best not just for the PS3, but any console in general. Being able to play PS1, PS2 and PS3 games all in one is something I always liked about it, too bad that's not what I ended up with. :indiff:

MGSV is really overrated. I lose interest within 1 minute of playing the game. I can't even will myself to play it. The only compelling aspect is the stealth.

Salt & vinegar is the worst flavour for potato chips/crisps. Ketchup flavour is the best.

I don't understand why people hate pineapple as a pizza topping.

Spiders are not scary, also the hairy ones are the least intimidating.

The hairy spiders I think look cuter than the non-hairy ones.

Spiders are not scary, also the hairy ones are the least intimidating.

The hairy spiders I think look cuter than the non-hairy ones.

I have arachnophobia, but I agree with this. Tarantulas are big, and happen to be hairy.

I know people who have a deathly fear of caterpillars, and are not afraid of spiders at all. It is the oddest thing.

I also have arachnophobia and I can't even stand to look at certain types of them. (I will not mention which so don't even ask) However, I am not afraid of Tarantulas. If anything i'd be tempted to hold them as long as they aren't prone to biting.
I know people who have a deathly fear of caterpillars, and are not afraid of spiders at all. It is the oddest thing.
Some spiders frighten me to the point where I can't even look at pictures of them without jumping out of my skin, but I am not even afraid of snakes.

Last edited:
I also have arachnophobia and I can't even stand to look at certain types of them. (I will not mention which so don't even ask) However, I am not afraid of Tarantulas. If anything i'd tempted to hold them as long as they aren't prone to biting.
Some spiders frighten me to the point where I can't even look at pictures of them without jumping out of my skin, but I am not even afraid of snakes.

Tarantulas are wonderful - completely harmless to humans unless you're allergic, and as far as I know they mostly tend to be relatively docile as well. Snakes are even better, once I'm living on my own and not in Student accommodation I really want to get a pet corn snake. That being said, I absolutely cannot stand being in the same room as any flying insect, especially wasps and daddy-long-legs.

Either way this is the unpopular opinions thread, not the phobias thread, so here goes: the term 'offended' has lost basically all meaning now that people are using it to describe anyone who thinks something could be changed for the better.

- You're Gonna Go Far, Kid is an incredibly overrated Offspring song.
- In Utero is better than Nevermind
- Nickelback gets far too much hate. Creed is a far worse Post-Grunge band.
- 90's Punk is far better than 2000's Punk.

- I don't like Legend of Zelda games.

I'd like to add

Lagwagon >>>>>>>>>>> Nofx

I find country/state flags to be meaningless. I never understood the need to show respect or disrespect towards an inanimate object.

It’s not respect or disrespect towards the object, but what that object represents. Think of it like race drivers kissing a trophy and hoisting it aloft, it’s not about the physical thing perse but a physical representation of something much greater.

I’m assuming your post was brought on by the recent news of the NFL happenings (this not being the place to discuss or get opinionated about it) and in that instance, deciding not to stand for the anthem or flag is a passive aggressive show of disrespect and a polite **** you to what those people believe the flag represents. That’s my take on it anyway.

Tarantulas are wonderful - completely harmless to humans unless you're allergic, and as far as I know they mostly tend to be relatively docile as well.
Good to know. If someone asks me if I want to hold one, I may consider it if that happens.

Snakes are even better, once I'm living on my own and not in Student accommodation I really want to get a pet corn snake.
I love snakes. I have held two corn snakes before and they were pretty gentle for me. I wish I had one too.

I sometimes can't understand why people would want to consume a bad-tasting drink for intoxication purposes.

I swear I'm not being a moral guardian - you do what you please - just feeling confused.

R5
Because taste is subjective and intoxication means the chance to forget most of your problems.

I swear I'm not an alcoholic.
People discussing alcoholic beverages do seem to be in universal agreement though that the stronger stuff tastes like crap.

Some strong stuff tastes bad, others don't. With beer, I'm more than happy to enjoy a 15-19% brew if it's made right.

It's typically strong, cheap stuff tastes bad while strong, expensive stuff doesn;t.

People discussing alcoholic beverages do seem to be in universal agreement though that the stronger stuff tastes like crap.
Yeah, it's best to avoid drinking spirits straight. Mix it with something and it's alright.

Beer is absolutely the way to go though!

When I first drank beer I didn’t like it’s taste, now I enjoy it. As for anything harder, even as an alcoholic, I won’t drink it if I don’t like it.

That’s not to say I can’t get to like it with enough practice.

Latest Posts

Back