Unpopular Opinions - General Thread

• Thread starter Carbonox
  • 2,977 comments
Hmmm... Lazenby and Brosnan being that way round... I mean, he had the meta line about the other guy, and he got all the personal loss (until the Bond franchise became all about pouty face), but is OHMSS enough of a sample size to put Lazenby above Brosnan?
Yes. I don't dislike Pierce Brosnan either; I just didn't like his Bond.

Because I'm thinking about it, my ranking of actors based solely on their portrayal of James Bond--which is to say absolutely nothing of the movies themselves--is as follows:

-Best-

Sean Connery
Timothy Dalton
Roger Moore
Daniel Craig
George Lazenby
Pierce Brosnan

-Worst-

The contrarian in me wants to dispute this...but I honestly cannot fault it. I always thought Timothy Dalton was a fantastic Bond, and perhaps an even better Bond villain in Hot Fuzz. He was really the only one who could come close to the complete yet casual confidence that Sean Connery brought, while still maintaining genuine menace. Roger Moore wasn't menacing at all, Craig lacks anything resembling grace, Lazenby didn't leave an impression and Brosnan's tenure was unfortunately over-reliant on gizmos and cameos rather than depth of character.

The contrarian in me wants to dispute this...but I honestly cannot fault it. I always thought Timothy Dalton was a fantastic Bond, and perhaps an even better Bond villain in Hot Fuzz. He was really the only one who could come close to the complete yet casual confidence that Sean Connery brought, while still maintaining genuine menace. Roger Moore wasn't menacing at all, Craig lacks anything resembling grace, Lazenby didn't leave an impression and Brosnan's tenure was unfortunately over-reliant on gizmos and cameos rather than depth of character.
I mean...just...wow. That is remarkably similar to how I look at each of them.

If he benefitted from the saturation like Sean or Roger, rather than only having two films, I think Timothy Dalton could make it very difficult for me to keep Sean at the top of that list. First and foremost he just oozes Britishness in that role; he has an elegance about him. He was the first time I looked at Bond and thought "he could be a killer", but he also played the jocular manwhore perfectly.

It would take a pretty extraordinary set of circumstances to get me to see a new Bond movie, but I'd come off the bench if Dalton were to play a villain. He couldn't be a former double-O, though; they've done that to death. He couldn't be gizmoey either. Play to his Britishness; his age; he longs for what "the empire" once was.

Lazenby...I think the hardest part for me was his accent. He slipped out of his Aussie inflection just enough for it to be really weird, almost South African...ish. I think there might be more as a basis for comparison if he'd gotten more movies, but that accent doesn't go away. Still, he had just enough something for me to put him where I do.

Pierce Brosnan was just a knob of clay. He's there to make everything else move along.

Unpopular Opinion: Most opinions presented in “unpopular opinions” threads, whether it be on GTP, Reddit, and elsewhere, aren’t actually unpopular at all.

Unpopular Opinion: Most opinions presented in “unpopular opinions” threads, whether it be on GTP, Reddit, and elsewhere, aren’t actually unpopular at all.
I'm willing to bet my first post on this thread would likely prove you wrong.

Here is one that i heard on a youtube video the other day. Pedophiles are no more messed up in the head than gays. Pleases note that I in no way condone pedophilia, but here is the thinking. If we admit that people who prefer relations with the same sex do so because of the way their brains are wired, and not because of a conscious choice to be gay, then it stands to reason that people who would have relations with a child probably do so, not out of choice, but because of the same mechanisms that would make one gay, straight or whatever their inclined to be attracted too.
Man, that took some digging to find.

Last edited:

Man, that took some digging to find.
Key word "most", not all. But yes, you're not wrong, your opinion is wildly unpopular and I couldn't disagree with it more.

I can [begrudgingly, if I'm honest] get behind that. I think it's possible to acknowledge that someone is predisposed to be gay while being accepting of their acting on that predisposition at the same time as acknowledging that someone is a pedophile because they're predisposed to be a pedophile but condemning their acting on that predisposition.

Dalton is the Bond most like the books. It's a crying shame studio meddling and copyright crap stopped him doing more films. He was actually lined up to replace Connery in 1969 but he himself felt too young to accept the role and wanted to mature more with theatre work.

Honestly. I am not so sure it is properly an opinion. It has factual basis. Biologically and psychologically speaking, I don't think anyone has complete control over what they find attractive. Part of it is ingrained by biology, and part by life experience, especially in adolescence. What you do have control over is your own intent and action. But, since it seems facts and opinions are interchangeable these days, i suppose this thread is as fitting as any due to the unpopular nature of uncomfortable discussions.

In fairness, your post was entirely reasonable, it's just the phrasing that needed some work... "Pedophiles are no more messed up in the head than gays" could've been put a little more... tactfully; prehaps something along the lines of "The internal origins of heterosexuality, homosexuality and paedophilia are likely to be the same". You could also add heterosexuals into the mix (and did, come the finish), but in the style of the quoted line it might've come out as "Pedophiles are no more messed up in the head than gays and breeders" :)

Also, an amendment, if I may:

If we admit that people who prefer relations with the same sex do so because of the way their brains are wired, and not because of a conscious choice to be gay, then it stands to reason that people who would want to have relations with a child probably do so, not out of choice, but because of the same mechanisms that would make one gay, straight or whatever their inclined to be attracted too.

Unpopular opinion: American cheese, despite being the most common cheese in the US, is the nastiest tasting cheese I’ve had in my life. The texture is like something that’s been processed to death (which it sort of is) and I hate it’s aftertaste. Seriously, I could not eat a cheeseburger or anything else with American cheese in it.

Unpopular Bond takes? Moore was the best bond.

Black turtleneck, Walther PPK, puns when he drops a guy, ultimate karate chop knockout technique. That's Bond right there.

People bag on Moore because the movies are cheesy but those are the best ones to me - needlessly specific gadgets, a beautiful woman to mistreat, and a one-note ethnic villain with a hare brained plan.

Also, I get why people don't like Brosnan but his movies had some of the best action sequences in cinema history; the parachute jump off the dam and the tank chase are seriously awesome.

The Nintendo 64 controller is one of the worst designs in the history of invention.

I thought that upon first sight, but after years of playing with one it just seemed right for the games that fit it; Smash Bros, Zelda, etc...

Unpopular opinion: American cheese, despite being the most common cheese in the US, is the nastiest tasting cheese I’ve had in my life. The texture is like something that’s been processed to death (which it sort of is) and I hate it’s aftertaste. Seriously, I could not eat a cheeseburger or anything else with American cheese in it.

Is it actually cheese? I thought it was named American Cheese because it couldn't actually be sold as cheese since that would be a lie.

Unpopular Bond takes? Moore was the best bond.

Black turtleneck, Walther PPK, puns when he drops a guy, ultimate karate chop knockout technique. That's Bond right there.

People bag on Moore because the movies are cheesy but those are the best ones to me - needlessly specific gadgets, a beautiful woman to mistreat, and a one-note ethnic villain with a hare brained plan.

Also, I get why people don't like Brosnan but his movies had some of the best action sequences in cinema history; the parachute jump off the dam and the tank chase are seriously awesome.

RE; Brosnan... The kite surfing scene ruined him for me. CGI almost as bad as The Scorpion King.

I was all for Moore up until Daniel Craig took over. I can't imagine anybody surpassing his Bond anytime soon.

Is it actually cheese? I thought it was named American Cheese because it couldn't actually be sold as cheese since that would be a lie.
Not technically, being that it's less than 50% cheese product, it's required to be labeled as "Pasteurized, Processed Cheese Product".

Let's ask J. Kenji López-Alt:

*Mais non! American cheese is not cheese!* the cheese police cry out. And they have a point. American cheese—even the "fancy" stuff you can get sliced at the deli counter—is not exactly cheese. But here's the thing. Saying "American cheese is not cheese" is like saying "meatloaf is not meat." Just as meatloaf is a product that is made by blending real meat with texture- and flavor-altering ingredients, so American cheese is a product made by blending real cheese with texture- and flavor-altering ingredients. In fact, percentage-wise, there's a good chance that there's more milk and cheese in your American cheese slices than there is meat in your meatloaf!
American cheese is "processed cheese", and what that is is redundant...because all cheese is processed.

It's a bit like that Brussels sprouts discussion from a while back; someone said they're only good when you add things to them, but food preparation (the culinary arts) is all about adding things to things to make the thing that is better than the sum of all the things.

Now, I don't particularly enjoy "processed cheese" in and of itself, but it possesses certain properties that make it appealing from the food preparation perspective. And I'd even go so far as to say that, in certain instances, I'd actually prefer it to what I consider good cheese.

The Nintendo 64 controller is one of the worst designs in the history of invention.
Agreed. I hated using that controller, it just never felt comfortable to me.

I think I had more enjoyment playing N64 games on my Nintendo Wii via Virtual console with a Gamecube controller than just using a N64.

American cheese comes in two forms, I think; a genuine cheese which is simply not as popular as other snooty cheeses and a much quicker, expedited processed cheese that is the classic cheese slice in cellophane.

One thing I will say is that American cheese does have interesting properties that make it useful for cooking. It is softer, making it more malleable and easier to shape, and its lower melting point can also be a benefit. As much as I love cheese, sometimes using crumbly or lumpy or hard cheeses is a pain to work with.

how-the-us-ended-up-with-warehouses-full-of-039government-cheese039s-featured-photo.jpg

Good thing that cheese is wrapped...
All told, I dont think american cheese is all that bad. I make a delicious hamburger pie with it, and I love it on most burgers. It does have to be warm though.

That'd be Muenster for me. It melts as well as you can expect a sliced cheese [that isn't American] to melt, and it actually has some...oomph.
Been my go to for anything that needed cheese for a good while. I would toast an onion bagel most mornings and when it was done I would slap the cheese in between and let it melt, and then open it back up to throw in an egg and some spinach. Sometimes a dash of hot sauce, but not too often.

I need to go buy another toaster.

I think I would do pepper jack as a secondary option. I never tried muenster on a cheeseburger. I don't like the cheese to overpower the burger, which can be done with thinner slices I suppose. That's probably more a restaurant problem, where they can overdo it with the cheese.

One of the worse "cheese" experiences I had was with Merkt's cheddar on fries. It was rich in flavor and gloopy. It was so terrible that I haven't been back to that place since, even though their sandwiches and hot dogs are good. I'm also terrified of getting a thick slice of cheddar on a burger.

Count me in as a member of the Muenster fan club. It tastes great, it doesn't turn into a mess when melted and the name is just plain fun to say!

I never tried muenster on a cheeseburger.

You should have told me you were going to be at RA, I would have whipped you up one! :P

I don't like the cheese to overpower the burger, which can be done with thinner slices I suppose.

I wouldn't say it's very overpowering, you can certainly taste it, but it doesn't hide the taste of the meat either.

Cheddar for general purpose cheesing
Yanquee slices for burgers
Mozzarella for melting
Lancashire Bomb is the supreme christmas cheese

And so goes the gospel of cheeses. Further to that any good cheeseboard must contain at least one intimidating blue, one dangerously liquid french cheese and a sheep's cheese.

A cheeseboard should be served with port rather than wine.

I like cheese.

I may have put this in another thread, but Provel cheese is best cheese. Also provolone, and then mozzarella.

Discussion over. :)

Back