Unpopular Opinions - General Thread

• Thread starter Carbonox
  • 2,977 comments
I think I would do pepper jack as a secondary option. I never tried muenster on a cheeseburger. I don't like the cheese to overpower the burger, which can be done with thinner slices I suppose. That's probably more a restaurant problem, where they can overdo it with the cheese.
I wouldn't say it's very overpowering, you can certainly taste it, but it doesn't hide the taste of the meat either.
Yeah, no...Edam Muenster is not what I would consider an assertive cheese. It's got a nice balance of sweetness, nuttiness and funk, but they're all mild when the cheese is young and best for melting. And on a burger, I'd say that it actually compliments the meat and the meat compliments it; each is better because the two are together.

Muenster becomes more assertive (but still nicely balanced) as it ages, but it also loses moisture and requires a higher temperature to melt, with a smaller window before it breaks.

@ROAD_DOGG33J I think the best thing you can do is visit a proper supermarket deli counter, if not an actual deli. Ask if they've got a good Muenster for melting on a burger (they should), and if you're polite, I'd bet you can even get a taste. Just consider that as its temperature increases and the volatile aromatic compounds get excited, it's going to get slightly more assertive than in its chilled state; that's the nature of flavor below certain temperatures (which says something about Coors and their cold activated cans).

And to provide a hint at why it's such a good melter, here's a pic of it being sliced:

cheese-muenster.jpg

No love for Edam? Makes the best cheese on toast.
Edam's nice, but as a semi-hard I wouldn't go to it for a burger; it doesn't melt as readily. There are lots of wonderful cheeses that I wouldn't bother using on a burger.

Edit:

I may have put this in another thread, but Provel cheese is best cheese. Also provolone, and then mozzarella.

Discussion over. :)
tenor.gif

Last edited:
American "cheese"(I have a hard time calling it anything other than "cheese food" for whatever reason) isn't too great but it's so easy for melting and staying somewhat together, it does the job well for simple stuff like a quick lunch. I can't stand to just eat it on its own since I were a wee lad but melting it in a sandwich is good.

Muenster is the **** for multipurpose cheese though, it just goes great with everything. I quite like a number of other types but it seems they are all good with some stuff and not so good with others. I haven't had the best of luck with melting it though, it's great if I'm right on it but if I forget for a minute too long it just vanishes.

Having more than one type of proper cheese in my fridge unfortunately usually results in throwing out some of it, so most of the time I end up getting muenster so I don't have to worry about using it all up before it goes bad. Except cheese food, that stuff never goes bad(worse?). A buddy of mine actually left an unwrapped piece hanging up for a couple years as an experiment and nothing at all happened to it, no bugs taking bites, no mold or anything growing on it, literally nothing wants to eat that stuff.

Don't think I've ever even heard of Edam.

Yes, Edam is Dutch, and it's similar to another Dutch cheese, Gouda, but it's aged longer so it's harder with less moisture and the nutty flavor is more pronounced.

Some stinky cheese has derailed this thread like an Amtrak train....
On that note. Is it unpopular to enjoy taking train? I tend to do the majority of driving whenever we go, well, anywhere, so it's nice to be able to sit back and enjoy gazing out at the passing scenery.

Last edited:
On that note. Is it unpopular to enjoy taking train? I tend to do the majority of driving whenever we go, well, anywhere, so it's nice to be able to sit back and enjoy gazing out at the passing scenery.

For commuting, I'd say so. I hated commuting by train so much that I used to spend my commute dicing with traffic in a rain-soaked central London rather than sit on a dull train, plus the bicycle was cheaper and faster.

For occasional rides on a day trip, trains are great leisurely transport, such as heading to the coast for a weekend.

I don't like much cheese tbh actually. Brie, the Italian cheeses and the mild ones from Germany and Netherlands I like, not much else. Don't even like cheddar unless it's melted.
Some stinky cheese has derailed this thread like an Amtrak train....
I like the train. They have a higher speed limit than cars, less likely to be caught by traffic and you can get up, walk around, drink alcohol etc.

Except for the local lines round here. They still use rolling stock from the 80s and you wonder if the roof will blow off.

I don't like much cheese tbh actually. Brie, the Italian cheeses and the mild ones from Germany and Netherlands I like, not much else. Don't even like cheddar unless it's melted.

I like the train. They have a higher speed limit than cars, less likely to be caught by traffic and you can get up, walk around, drink alcohol etc.

Except for the local lines round here. They still use rolling stock from the 80s and you wonder if the roof will blow off.
Bad train? Ha. The Isle of Wight has one railway and due to a quirk of the shape of a tunnel, the only train that can run on it is a London underground train from the 60s. It is a terrifyingly bumpy and unnerving ride.
Island-Line-Trains-on-the-Isle-of-Wight-1.png

It bounces side to side on the rail, smashing against the face of the wheels. It's as loud as a helicopter. Thankfully the line is about 30 minutes if that in total length and, because moving around the train is difficult and there are no ticket gates, free rides are easily taken and not really frowned upon, as the conductor would much rather preserve the integrity of their shins than go fare chasing.

Worth a ride if you're a thrill seeker, maybe? I hear rumours of getting a train from Southeast Asia somewhere that's somewhat modern and can fit through the tunnel. That day can't come soon enough.

Does this count as derailing the thread? Sorry.

I would love to take that train just because. Though, to be fair, I'm not some train aficionado. I just enjoy being driven around once in a while and people watching. Get two birds stoned at once.

I would love to take that train just because. Though, to be fair, I'm not some train aficionado. I just enjoy being driven around once in a while and people watching. Get two birds stoned at once.
the island is very beautiful, if you can see it through rattling eyebrows then the train is the one for you :P

Trains? You mean those long things that haul coal/oil and shipping containers up and down the Mississippi River that you see once in a while? :P

In seriousness, I've been to Germany and used its trains, and that infrastructure and punctuality is unreal compared to here. I'm kind of surprised Michigan has anything worthy of note, though.

We hopped on the Amtrak to Chicago and Racine once in a while. Not so much now that we have a little one in tow that requires more than just a backpack worth of clothes.
As for actual scenic railways, as is the norm, the better stuff is up in the UP, but, most of them, in troll land or up in the Yoop tend only to be about an hour or so in length.

Last edited:
I was on the IOW for a weekend in the spring, and intentionally travelled all the railways there as they've fascinated me for some time.

Bad train? Ha. The Isle of Wight has one railway and due to a quirk of the shape of a tunnel, the only train that can run on it is a London underground train from the 60s.

A small correction: The Island Line rolling stock aren't from the 1960s.

They're actually from the 1930s, specifically 1938. The trains are over 80 years old, and are older than some of the IOW steam railway locomotives.

It is a terrifyingly bumpy and unnerving ride.

It bounces side to side on the rail, smashing against the face of the wheels. It's as loud as a helicopter.

Before travelling I wasn't expecting that at all, and whilst I loved it as a one-off experience, I can imagine the lustre fades somewhat if you have to use it every day, or even work on it!

and, because moving around the train is difficult and there are no ticket gates, free rides are easily taken and not really frowned upon, as the conductor would much rather preserve the integrity of their shins than go fare chasing.

I must've had a dedicated conductor then, as my ticket got checked.

I love that the Island Line, seemingly against the odds, still exists.

_DSC1646a.JPG

Roo
I was on the IOW for a weekend in the spring, and intentionally travelled all the railways there as they've fascinated me for some time.

A small correction: The Island Line rolling stock aren't from the 1960s.

They're actually from the 1930s, specifically 1938. The trains are over 80 years old, and are older than some of the IOW steam railway locomotives.

Before travelling I wasn't expecting that at all, and whilst I loved it as a one-off experience, I can imagine the lustre fades somewhat if you have to use it every day, or even work on it!

I must've had a dedicated conductor then, as my ticket got checked.

I love that the Island Line, seemingly against the odds, still exists.

View attachment 842285
It's one of those situations that's charming and kooky to an outsider, but is kind of emblematic of how far behind the Island is. We had a great rail network all over the island until the 60s (although I said 60s before, could be wrong) that served a lot of businesses especially out in the rather remote south. But it's all gone and all that remains are footpaths and our long-suffering ancient tube train.

I think a lot of islanders used to agree and enjoyed our unique travel experience but the ride quality continues to deteriorate with no news of modern equipment ever coming (aside from the whispers I mentioned before).

I do believe the train is rather well known as train spotters can frequently be seen and, as a resident, I can tell you there are no other good reasons to hang around at Ryde St. Johns.

For all the crap I give it, the train is still the cheapest and most scenic way to get across the East Wight, and if any GTPer is ever on the isle I'd recommend a ride just for the sheer strangeness of it all.

Thanks for your reply and correcting my error! Always nice to see someone who has enjoyed our odd delapidated island :)

We had a great rail network all over the island until the 60s (although I said 60s before, could be wrong) that served a lot of businesses especially out in the rather remote south. But it's all gone and all that remains are footpaths and our long-suffering ancient tube train.

The Beeching Axes destroyed the railway network on the island of Britain and really were incredibly short-sighted. Whatever rural lines were left had to make do with things like the 1930s trains on the IOW. Other rural railways had to make do with Pacers, which were literally Leyland National buses with a railway axle.

141108_at_Colne_Valley_Railway.jpg

Midland_Red_West_buses_1206_%28A206_YWP%29_%26_1205_%28A205_YWP%29%2C_19_March_1988.jpg

They're still in use mainly in North England and South Wales but thankfully due to be retired by the end of this year.

Oh, and speaking of London tube stock, the new trains being introduced in Wales? Ex-1979 London tube stock but don't worry, they're "refurbished" so that makes them new trains. When trains built in 1979 are replacing trains built in 1987, you do not get to call them "new". How can the new trains be older than the ones they're replacing?!

Unpopular opinion: Peach is the best tasting fruit. Not apples, not banana, not orange, but peach. I don't even know what I like so much about them, but the flavor is simply unbeatable. The best was when I lived in Alabama, there was a family of peach trees in our backyard which gave us an endless supply for the summer. We had so many that when we didn't know what else to do with them, we put them in the juicer to make peach juice.

Also, peach lolipops and peach flavored soft drinks are the best.

I think Tesla's look very cheap. I cannot stand the front bumpers and why do their roofs look so tall?!
I don't think much of Tesla in general--right down to its founder--but greenhouse height as it relates to profile is something I think they get right. It could be they look so tall because so many others are moving toward beltlines so high that it leaves the greenhouse mail slot shallow.

I think the roof looks tall because the rear is pretty squat. I have never been a fan of teslas front bumpers though, having that area where a grill should be, just a concave blank area looks pretty garish.

I think the roof looks tall because the rear is pretty squat. I have never been a fan of teslas front bumpers though, having that area where a grill should be, just a concave blank area looks pretty garish.
Is garish the right word? It's definitely something not particularly good, but it doesn't strike me as garish.

I think you probably can pull off a front end that doesn't have a "face" as most cars do, but Tesla hasn't done it; it just looks like Neo in The Matrix when he gets his mouth sealed shut.

Edit to add the n to definitely; gotta talk to Jordan about refilling the orange cartridge.

Garish in the way that it draws my attention for all the wrong reasons. They could have had a 4 year old come up with a design and it would have been better. It's like Musk walked in and caught some intern standing next to a white board and said "you, draw me something" and in fright, the intern drew absolutely nothing, and Musk went with it.

The Principal & The Pauper with the real Seymour Skinner is a good episode of The Simpsons.

I hate its implications but unlike seemingly everyone else, I appreciate the episode as a standalone for what it is. Listening to the writer's commentary on it adds to that.

Back