Unpopular Opinions - General Thread

• Thread starter Carbonox
  • 2,977 comments
People who overflatter Patrick Stewart by saying he doesn't look a day older from the day he set foot on the bridge of the Enterprise: Stop.
This probably could apply to a lot of actors if I'm honest. It's one of the most common comments I see on Social Media feeds for older actors.

It's ridiculous to link charity to stunts, marathon running and the like.

If a person can afford to, and wishes to, give money, labour or any assistance to a charity or a cause, why do they need to see things like 100 year old people walking laps of the garden before they'll get their hands in their pockets?

It's ridiculous to link charity to stunts, marathon running and the like.
Michael Scott's Dunder Mifflin Scranton Meredith Palmer Memorial Celebrity Rabies Awareness Pro-Am Fun Run Race for the Cure was one the best charity runs ever.

Toy Story 2 did the "I am your father" line better than Star Wars

Change my mind.
(Not like anyone will find this spoil it)
Buzz's "Nooooo" reaction to hearing Zurg is his father is so much better than Luke's pained denial.

AC/DC are neither as great nor as bad as they’re made out to be.

Admittedly their music is a bit repetitive and I can’t go through an entire album without thinking that, but I don’t mind banging along to a song or two every now and then, and not just songs from Highway to Hell and Back In Black.

AC/DC are neither as great nor as bad as they’re made out to be.

Admittedly their music is a bit repetitive and I can’t go through an entire album without thinking that, but I don’t mind banging along to a song or two every now and then, and not just songs from Highway to Hell and Back In Black.
The only song I can imagine not being compelled to switch away from is "Ride On".

That song is criminally overlooked.
It's the one that doesn't sound like the others--all of which sound the same--and frankly that's why I can tolerate it. Aerosmith's "Seasons of Wither" is kind of the same way, where I really wouldn't feel bad if I never heard any of the other songs again. Yes, even "Dream On".

AC/DC have done some really enjoyable stuff, but a lot of it gets the skip track treatment too. Metallica is the one I don't understand all the love for, don't think I've ever voluntarily selected one of their songs to listen to.

don't think I've ever voluntarily selected one of their songs to listen to.
In the spirit of @Northstar's "criminally overlooked" comment, I'll add Metallica's Low Man's Lyric.

There's something about it (the hurdy-gurdy?) that makes it my favorite Metallica song. But it's never on the radio and they haven't played it live in over 20 years.

TB
In the spirit of @Northstar's "criminally overlooked" comment, I'll add Metallica's Low Man's Lyric.

There's something about it (the hurdy-gurdy?) that makes it my favorite Metallica song. But it's never on the radio and they haven't played it live in over 20 years.
Agreed. I don’t even care for Metallica, but I love this song! It tends to calm me down if I am ever feeling worked up about something. It’s about the only thing by them I’d willingly listen to.

That.... that's not really Metallica, so to speak. Load and Reload are, er, experiments in sound and genre directions. Not everything Metallica has made really hit the nail on the head, but when they did (see mid 80's) it's was pure metal awesomeness.

don't think I've ever voluntarily selected one of their songs to listen to.

While I do enjoy just throwing on a track here and there, the true Metallica experience, for me anyway, is to enjoy a whole album playthrough just listening, not as background music, but with all my attention on the music.

My go to is Ride the Lightning since it's only around three quarters of an hour long and there's not 1 track I don't like. Master of Puppets is also high on my rotation but there's a song or two on that album I could probably pass on.

I could probably put the songs One and Master of Puppets on loop and be happy. I do really enjoy the other songs on those albums (and yes, the Black album which many think is too commercialized and overrated), but those two songs really charge me up. Master of Puppets is heavy from the get-go and One picks up in the second half when that double bass drumming starts. Me likey.

Master of Puppets will never not remind me of a field trip to a planetarium in the 9th grade. The planetarium was showing the Metallica laser light show. Master of Puppets was one of the songs and the one I remember most as things were starting to peak around that point. It was quite the experience. Not sure how that field trip past scrutiny though. I'm guessing planetarium was predominantly placed on the form and not a word of laser or Metallica.

The song Sweet Caroline is really annoying.
It's especially annoying if you're in high school and had to hear girls chant certain parts really loudly. Source: Me in high school

---
EDIT: My preferred Neil Diamond song is America.

Good times never seemed so good.

Yet sounded so bad.

It's in the "overplayed in every pub and at every party" class of songs along with Bohemian Rhapsody, Wonderwall and Mr Brightside. They're not intrinsically terrible but so overplayed that they're annoying by association.

The song Sweet Caroline is really annoying.
I had to hear it EVERY weekend we went out to the bars in college. And I would get chastised because I wouldn't join the herd and sing along. I don't have any feelings towards the song itself, I just can't stand to hear it so often and be forced to go along with it.

Kind of irrisponsible that a kids' field trip would feature a (heavy) song about addiction.
Do you think it's irresponsible that we learned all about addiction/drugs 3-4 years prior as well?

At least I did anyways.

EDIT: My point is that 9th graders are old enough to know wrong from right and how to behave.

Last edited:
Yet sounded so bad.

It's in the "overplayed in every pub and at every party" class of songs along with Bohemian Rhapsody, Wonderwall and Mr Brightside. They're not intrinsically terrible but so overplayed that they're annoying by association.
I mean...I get it. It hasn't felt overplayed to me--I could maybe count on one hand the number of times I've noticed it playing in the wild--and I just love Neil Diamond.

Definitely with you on "Bohemian Rhapsody". I love Queen and A Night at the Opera is just spectacular, but at this point I can handle the song maybe once a decade. For me, that album is all about "'39" and "The Prophet's Song".

I can't look beyond the massive douchecanoes that the Gallaghers are to really even consider the music. They just suck so completely.

The Killers don't do it for me, and yeah, that song got entirely too much play.

Do you think it's irresponsible that we learned all about addiction/drugs 3-4 years prior as well?

At least I did anyways.

EDIT: My point is that 9th graders are old enough to know wrong from right and how to behave.

How old are the kids in 9th grade?

I don’t think it’s irresponsible at all to learn about addiction at a young age (hell, if I had maybe I would be an alcoholic) but Master of Puppets romanticise the notion of addiction.

I guess it’s just a sad feature of our modern societies that it needs teaching. I couldn’t imagine any of my students even talking about drug use, never mind actually considering it, but I live in a very different culture.

I mean...I get it. It hasn't felt overplayed to me--I could maybe count on one hand the number of times I've noticed it playing in the wild--and I just love Neil Diamond.

Definitely with you on "Bohemian Rhapsody". I love Queen and A Night at the Opera is just spectacular, but at this point I can handle the song maybe once a decade. For me, that album is all about "'39" and "The Prophet's Song".

I can't look beyond the massive douchecanoes that the Gallaghers are to really even consider the music. They just suck so completely.

The Killers don't do it for me, and yeah, that song got entirely too much play.

If you’ve heard 1 Oasis song you’ve heard them all. That said, those dildos did knock out a few bangers that resonated with me, such as What’s the Story (morning glory) and a couple of lighter tunes that are quite melodic.

Back