Unpopular Opinions - General Thread

• Thread starter Carbonox
  • 2,977 comments
I hate sprouts and also have never particularly enjoyed the taste of beer. It's never stopped me from drinking it mind. It's like a means to an end. Innit.
I absolutely loved the taste when I was (fairly regularly) allowed a sip of beer or lager as a child. I remember clearly what it was like but those same brands taste like old people's feet to me now. I still like booze but it can't be Fosters, Skol or the like anymore. Newcastle Brown Ale was my favourite as a bairn but it's not exactly the same product anymore. I'd love to try the 80s version again now to see if it's any good.

brussel sprouts
I hope that's not the right spelling otherwise I've just done this wrong.
IMG_20200925_145048.jpg
As for eating them, yeah they're fine now. Didn't like them back in my Skol days though.

A lot depends on where the hops come from as well. I find beers flavoured with most European varieties of hops more pleasant than say, the Cascade hops that get used in practically every craft beer in the Pacific Northwest. I can't stand the taste of Cascade hops.

I'm really sick of this current trend of late Nobody rappers getting so much recognition after untimely deaths.

Artists like Lil Peep, Nipsey Hussle and Pop Smoke, who never had hits or anything until news broke that they'd died, and suddenly there's a million tributes for these people nobody has heard about. (Obviously they deserve tributes and young deaths are never something to cheer about).

But what really annoys me about it is how their unfinished albums that would never have gained any traction are given to talented and mainstream artists who "finish" their work by just using the vocals and putting it on a beat or a track that sounds a lot more decent an popular than they would have had before. For example, Pop Smoke has just had a number 1 album here in the UK, something which would never have happened without his untimely ending. Nipsey Hussle actually won a Grammy for best Rap Performance for a song that would never have been considered if he hadn't gained enough "notoriety" from his death.

At least XXXtentacion and Juice Wrld had had some hits before their deaths, meaning an upsurge in sales wasn't a shock, or their music sticking around in the charts afterwards wasn't against the run.

TBH, the thing that annoys me most about it is that I'm an Avicii fan, and there was nowhere near as much upsurge in sales and awards for a much more talented artist after his tragic death too. He'd had multiple number 1 singles and was one of the biggest names in music at the time of his death, so why do loads of Nobody Rappers have better Posthumous careers than him?

I'm really sick of this current trend of late Nobody rappers getting so much recognition after untimely deaths.

Artists like Lil Peep, Nipsey Hussle and Pop Smoke, who never had hits or anything until news broke that they'd died, and suddenly there's a million tributes for these people nobody has heard about. (Obviously they deserve tributes and young deaths are never something to cheer about).

But what really annoys me about it is how their unfinished albums that would never have gained any traction are given to talented and mainstream artists who "finish" their work by just using the vocals and putting it on a beat or a track that sounds a lot more decent an popular than they would have had before. For example, Pop Smoke has just had a number 1 album here in the UK, something which would never have happened without his untimely ending. Nipsey Hussle actually won a Grammy for best Rap Performance for a song that would never have been considered if he hadn't gained enough "notoriety" from his death.

At least XXXtentacion and Juice Wrld had had some hits before their deaths, meaning an upsurge in sales wasn't a shock, or their music sticking around in the charts afterwards wasn't against the run.

TBH, the thing that annoys me most about it is that I'm an Avicii fan, and there was nowhere near as much upsurge in sales and awards for a much more talented artist after his tragic death too. He'd had multiple number 1 singles and was one of the biggest names in music at the time of his death, so why do loads of Nobody Rappers have better Posthumous careers than him?
"Oh he was like a father to me"

You never heard of this person before they died, so why do you suddenly start caring? I don't get it.

To be fair, the continued success of Nirvana was elevated above what it should have been mostly due to Cobain eating buck shot.

Were they a good band? Yeah. Great? Nah. I still listen and I’m still a fan, I think Dave Grohl is a brilliant musician. But the legend far outweighs the actual truth that they had a few fairly good albums and a handful of head banging smash hits.

To be fair, the continued success of Nirvana was elevated above what it should have been mostly due to Cobain eating buck shot.
And weed.

I remember in my highschool time all the stoners were totally into Nirvana because Cobain was a stoner, not because they liked the music.

Were they a good band? Yeah. Great? Nah. I still listen and I’m still a fan, I think Dave Grohl is a brilliant musician. But the legend far outweighs the actual truth that they had a few fairly good albums and a handful of head banging smash hits.

Had Cobain not suicided and the band continued, as all successful bands do, into the inevitable downward spiral of bland, safe, overproduced and unimaginative music, the Nirvana legacy would certainly not be what it is today.

And weed.

I remember in my highschool time all the stoners were totally into Nirvana because Cobain was a stoner, not because they liked the music.
Kurt Cobain wasn't a stoner. He was a heroin addict burn out, not a pot head.
I've known a fair number of heroin addicts throughout my life, and oddly, none of them, and I mean that literally, none of them liked the way pot made them feel.

I've known a fair number of heroin addicts throughout my life, and oddly, none of them, and I mean that literally, none of them liked the way pot made them feel.
Even worse, then they falsely assumed he was a pot head.

It may not have been his drug of choice at time of death, but i think it's safe to say that he smoked weed too. There's plenty of photographic evidence available.

Unpopular opinion: the movie ''Annihilation'' featured the best Alien lifeform in TV history. In 99,9% of movies extraterrestrial lifeforms are laughably unoriginal, uninspired and not really ''alien''.

A lot to unpack here.

Lil Peep, admittedly, was not a huge artist, but still made a pretty big impact within hip-hop and rap circles around the world - he's one of the artists credited with starting the whole "emo-rap" trend that is still pretty big to this day. He had big hits before passing away.

Nipsey also wasn't a very big artist, but was loved throughout his community in Crenshaw, California, for doing the absolute most to improve the quality of life for everyone that lived there. It made the news that he was gunned down in front of his own store in his community considerably more bitter. He had big hits before passing away.

Pop Smoke was not a small artist, however. His music was increasing in popularity very rapidly at the time of his death. If anything, he passed away as he was blowing up in popularity. His song, "Dior" was massive. Not very radio friendly, but it was huge.

The reason these three artists increased in popularity after their deaths is that all three had decently large fanbases to begin with. Their deaths meant they were being exposed to even more people. Just because you hadn't heard of them doesn't mean that they're unknown.

But what really annoys me about it is how their unfinished albums that would never have gained any traction are given to talented and mainstream artists who "finish" their work by just using the vocals and putting it on a beat or a track that sounds a lot more decent an popular than they would have had before.

This one goes by an artist-by-artist basis. Mac Miller (another rapper that passed away way before their time) was very deep into recording their next album before his passing, and said album was produced in a way that would be as close to Mac's vision as possible. It ended up being critically acclaimed. On the other hand, XXXTentacion has had 2 posthumous releases, and both were panned for seeming rushed, and trying to make the most out of what was unfinished content by adding features. Avicii's own posthumous release was panned for being "unfinished".

For example, Pop Smoke has just had a number 1 album here in the UK, something which would never have happened without his untimely ending.

Again, Dior was (and still is, honestly) huge. He probably would've still gone #1 if he hadn't passed away.

Nipsey Hussle actually won a Grammy for best Rap Performance for a song that would never have been considered if he hadn't gained enough "notoriety" from his death.

I mean, yeah, probably not. If it's any consolation, the song was relatively highly acclaimed, 2019 wasn't a very strong year for rap, and the Grammy's are kinda crap in general. Taylor Swift winning album of the year over Kendrick Lamar in 2016 is still seen as a massive upset.

TBH, the thing that annoys me most about it is that I'm an Avicii fan, and there was nowhere near as much upsurge in sales and awards for a much more talented artist after his tragic death too.

Music is subjective. For the most part, you can't really compare the level of talent between artists, especially when they make music in completely different genres. Sure, Avicii's influence on music is still clear to this day, and he helped bring electronic music into the mainstream in the 2010's, but he made music in a genre that isn't seen as incredibly popular anymore. Rap, on the other hand, is probably one of the biggest genres in the world currently behind pop, so it's probably less surprising that there's such an uptick in sales after they pass. In addition to this, the quality of music probably has a part in it. Juice WRLD, Mac Miller and Pop Smoke all had posthumous albums that were of a high quality, and the reception and sales from these albums show it. On the flipside, XXXTentacion's posthumous albums were criticized for being money grabs. Even Avicii's own album was seen as rushed, and a money grab.

He'd had multiple number 1 singles and was one of the biggest names in music at the time of his death, so why do loads of Nobody Rappers have better Posthumous careers than him?

With all due respect, Avicii was not one of the biggest names in music at the time of his passing. He was absolutely massive in the early-to-mid 2010's, but I wouldn't say he was that big in 2018. Also, there's the possibility that he didn't have much more music in the vault after his passing. There's every possibility that Aviciis posthumous album last year may be his only one.

Also, Avicii has multiple songs that cross 500 million streams on stuff like Spotify (Wake Me Up has more than a billion). I think his posthumous career is just fine.

If it's any consolation, I couldn't name a song by Avicii, Nipsey, Pop Smoke, Lil peep... or most of the other artists mentioned. Sounds like new wave teletubbies to me, but I think the 'radio-friendly' thing is a fair point. If stuff doesn't get mainstream radio play, it's going to pass a lot of people by. The music industry might be evolving in terms of sales and distribution, but for the general population, to hear stuff you're not already on the look out for can often rely on radio play... if it doesn't suit mainstream style radio, people aren't going to hear it.

Wake me up and Hey brother were playing every day at my local radio station back in 2014. He was a lot more mainstream that the other rappers mentioned.

I mean, yeah - rap music tends to not be the most mainstream and radio friendly for the most part. Lil Peep and Nipsey had barely started their careers in 2014 and Pop Smoke didn’t start rapping until 2018.

2018 was a completely different time. Avicii was nowhere near as mainstream as he was a few years prior to that

Pulled pork laced with barbecue sauce type stuff is good for about one mouthful then it can do one.
Sliced roast pork with apple sauce is far better.

Brioche for burgers? Why?
Fair enough if there was an option of a different bun but there seldom is.
It's like McDonalds is the only way to get a sesame bun round a burger these days. But they're a bit 🤬.

Had those spicy mcnuggets last night. I have to say, if you aren't acclimatized to spicy food, those could be pretty hot. I was prepared for the normal spicy taste without the heat and was surprised to find i could feel the heat. It wasn't burn my mouth, make my eye lids sweat hot, but its definitely the soccer spiciest of all the "spicy chicken" fast food items I've had.

Round are Way is the best track Oasis ever recorded.

Round are Way definitely deserved a place on (What's The Story) Morning Glory?, should have been more than just a B-side, though that could be said for so many Oasis B-sides.

For me Hey Now! is a pick of the bunch and feels like one of the more underrated songs, from what is such a great album and amongst their best along with Standing on the Shoulder of Giants.

What’s The Story (Morning Glory) and Don't Look Back in Anger are great tunes but imo, it does kinda of feel like once you've heard one Oasis song, you've heard them all.

I prefer Up In The Sky over almost any other Oasis song.

But I do like a bit of Oasis, I don't really get the hate.

Blur aren't even that particularly amazing but always managed to make Oasis sound like a complete embarrassment.

Oasis have the crowning achievement of being massively successful despite their completely uninspired music (cheese graters on the ear drums) AND being widely known to be a bunch of tossers that no-one liked in person.

It was a weird old time for popular music.

Back