Unpopular Opinions - General Thread

• Thread starter Carbonox
  • 2,977 comments
Blur aren't even that particularly amazing but always managed to make Oasis sound like a complete embarrassment.

Oasis have the crowning achievement of being massively successful despite their completely uninspired music (cheese graters on the ear drums) AND being widely known to be a bunch of tossers that no-one liked in person.

It was a weird old time for popular music.
I enjoy Blur, but I prefer Suede.

I enjoy Blur, but I prefer Suede.

Suede are a very talented band with a unique-ish sound. I still have some of their tracks on my playlist.

Blur were musically better than Oasis but lacked the critical appeal for some reason.

However, in the hay day of the Brit pop invasion I was largely devoted to grunge or what is less commonly known as Seattle Rock.

Suede are a very talented band with a unique-ish sound. I still have some of their tracks on my playlist.

Blur were musically better than Oasis but lacked the critical appeal for some reason.

However, in the hay day of the Brit pop invasion I was largely devoted to grunge or what is less commonly known as Seattle Rock.
I can't stand Suede, annoying whiny noise.

I rate Blur over Oasis overall, but Parklife is a deeply annoying album full stop (now that's likely to be an unpopular opinion).

In view of the thread, I hate the film Forest Gump with a passion. Its conformist propaganda dressed up as a (poor) feel-good movie.

I was never super into grunge. Sure, a few songs struck a chord, but the genre itself didn't hold much appeal; I don't think I was angsty enough. Indeed when grunge was biggest, the alternative that most appealed to me was Britpop. You've obviously got the big ones like The Verve, Blur and Pulp, and to a lesser extent Suede, but acts like Ocean Colour Scene, The Seahorses, Dodgy, Shed Seven, Cast, Manic Street Preachers (is it still Britpop if the band's from Wales? /s), Ash, Gene and Mansun (the list can easily keep going) put out some really incredible music. Of course you've also got acts that paved the way for them, like The Stone Roses and The Charlatans.

Wales is still part of Great Britain isn't it? ;)
Yeah I know.

:P

Didn't Wales-specific (er, Welsh*) acts have their own sort of subset of Britpop? Gorky's Zygotic Mynci were from there, as were Super Furry Animals.

*Edit to add. I didn't sleep well last night.

Edit: Cool Cymru is what I'm thinking of. Forgot about Lostprophets, Stereophonic and Catatonia. Didn't know Feeder was from Wales, but they never really wooed me.

Last edited:
Manic Street Preachers has a really sad ending. But that one song will always stick with me from a certain point of view; “if you tolerate this, then your children will be next.” That really hit deep when I was 12 years old and kind of led me down the path of conservatism in a politely sense.

Grunge did lack a feeling of emo but delivered in the form of ‘lost generation’ sound. They say grunge killed the guitar solo but that’s not true. Nu-Metal nailed the emo and that quickly replaced the Nirvana, Sound Garden and Pearl Jam tapes in my deck with Linkin Park, Papa Roach and Limp Bizkit a few years down the line.

Wales is still part of Great Britain isn't it? ;)

For now. 800+ years and counting. :scared:

Edit: Cool Cymru is what I'm thinking of. Forgot about Lostprophets, Stereophonic and Catatonia. Didn't know Feeder was from Wales, but they never really wooed me.

Cool Cymru was a great time to be getting into music as a young lad. Always been a big fan of the Manics. I do really like Feeder; their album Echo Park was one of the first CDs I ever bought myself.

We, uh... don't talk about Lostprophets any more.

Always been a big fan of the Manics.
They're definitely among my favorite Welsh acts; way behind John Cale, admittedly, but definitely ahead of others.

Is this meant to be taken seriously? Why? I get that the heinous acts are indefensible, but is the music the band produced prior to the discovery somehow a show of support for the acts?

This came up when discussing Jonathan King, who produced early Genesis and was responsible for the 'ooga chaka' in Blue Swede's "Hooked On A Feeling," and who was convicted on charges of child sexual abuse. I admit that hit me hard, but reason prevailed. I'm generally capable of removing an artist from their works in light of unpleasant circumstances. It fortunately isn't necessary too often.

I admittedly haven't so much as thought of Lostprophets in at least a decade. I do recall liking a couple songs, but they weren't really in my wheelhouse largely due to when they were active.

Last edited:
Here in the UK at least (I can't speak for anywhere else), Lostprophets were basically cancelled (before that really became a thing) after the awful crimes came to light.

Even in a top countdown in rock sales (say top 50/100) they will be numbers missing (with no explanation) because it should have been one of their songs.

No radio station or music channel will even dare mention them, they certainly won't play their songs ever again.

The only time their name ever comes up is when someone gives the poor chap out of Steps abuse, as unfortunately for him, he shares the same name as the Lostprophets singer and often gets mistaken for a pedophile because of this.

:gtplanet::cheers:

Last edited:
The severity of Watkins' heinous crimes just leave an irreparable stigma. They are quite unspeakable, to be honest.

It does depend on how well known someone is or their actions are; Gary Glitter's music is said to still get occasional airtime on USA radio (at least fairly recently) whereas in the UK he is persona non gratia and has been for 20-25 years.

Last edited:
Cool Cymru?

Goldie Lookin Chain. :D Okay, maybe not cool, but almost definitely my most played Welsh act.

Guns don’t kill people, rappers do!

I didn’t know about this LostProphets scandal and I’m now intrigued enough to Google it.

Edit: OK, I didn’t see that coming.

I still hear Gary Glitter on the radio here, I expect that’s because he lives next door to me.

Last edited:
Slightly dry cold chicken from the fridge tastes WAY better than warm chicken straight from the oven/pot.

I find myself almost agreeing, although I’d prefer slightly dry, unrefrigerated chicken, like left over roast the day before.

I find myself almost agreeing, although I’d prefer slightly dry, unrefrigerated chicken, like left over roast the day before.
I might even prefer that but I never tried, I only know refrigerated old dry chicken, lol. That's because when I make chicken I always put some pieces of it in the fridge for my cats for the next day. I always end up eating half my cats portions though when I feed them. :D

Not entirely sure if this is an unpopular opinion or an annoyance. But the whole legal "right on red" is a terrible thing in the United States. Even worse that not every state or intersection has the same rule. However most Americans are so used to turning right on a red light that it's pretty much second nature to people, in a irritating way. Not only is it dangerous having people think that briefly tapping their brakes gives them the "right" to turn at a red light and then pull out onto a busy road in front of traffic, but people believing they're entitled to do so no matter what. I can't count how many intersections that have signs that say "NO TURN ON RED," yet people still do it or honk at you for not turning.

I remember one intersection near the local airport had a yield sign for the longest time, but then just this year they put in turning lights that say not to turn on a red arrow, I stopped and the guy behind me was laying on the horn pissed off that I stopped. Then there's driving along a busy road and someone suddenly pulls out in front of you and gets angry after you honk at them for improperly joining traffic as if YOU were in the wrong... Also great when people from out of a state that declares turning right on red to be illegal, but expect you to turn no matter what and get angry at you for not doing so.

It helps to have patience while driving, but no one has that anymore and I feel like the whole turning right on a red light rule shouldn't be a thing.... I'd happily wait for a light to turn green so I at least know I'm taking a protected turn. Some intersections that allow for right on red are terrible with poor visibility or worse, you get some 🤬 driver who purposely blocks your view... (Had that happen with a lifted douche truck because he was angry I let someone pull out of a parking lot before the light)

In short, I think the legal "turn right on a red light" is stupid...

Cold pizza is at least as good as warm pizza.

p0130.gif

Right Turn in Red = Yield: It is amazing how many people don't look straight (or slightly to the left) at left-turning or U-turn traffic. The width and span of an intersection has a lot to do with overall potential for hazard for traffic that is not free-flowing.

However, signs for stop, yield, or other advisory conditions should not be used on near traffic lights, except for temporary purposes, according to the Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices. Many drivers don't quite understand the concept of "yield", they think in a binary STOP/GO attitude. It depends on familiarity with an intersection and that's why there's pushes for uniformity. Remember that even though we recall the rule-breakers, most folks do obey the rules of the road.

Still, the use of NO Right Turn on Red where it would be prudent and safe under low-traffic conditions irks me.

Last edited:
Right Turn in Red = Yield: It is amazing how many people don't look straight (or slightly to the left) at left-turning or U-turn traffic. The width and span of an intersection has a lot to do with overall potential for hazard for traffic that is not free-flowing.

However, signs for stop, yield, or other advisory conditions should not be used on near traffic lights, except for temporary purposes, according to the Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices. Many drivers don't quite understand the concept of "yield", they think in a binary STOP/GO attitude. It depends on familiarity with an intersection and that's why there's pushes for uniformity. Remember that even though we recall the rule-breakers, most folks do obey the rules of the road.

Still, the use of NO Right Turn on Red where it would be prudent and safe under low-traffic conditions irks me.

The gas station I visit often has a four way intersection and there are always people who NEVER see me turning left (across the intersection from them) when they're turning right on red. One time nearly got hit by a lady in a RAV4 and she gave me a dirty look as if I had inconvenienced her. I swear people become too complacent to turning right on red without looking or thinking of what they're doing.

The town where I work is the worst with yield signs, people will race you to beat you despite their side of the intersection having a yield sign. It's frustrating to deal with and dangerous considering the number of jaywalkers in the area.

I can understand the annoyance of low traffic areas that unnecessarily have no right on red signs doesn't make much sense. But overall I find right on red to be not always the best option for most roads.

Edit: U-Turns are rare where I live, but I've been to other states that have right turns yield to U-turn drivers.

Last edited:
I think I mentioned this before about chicken, but I’d take room temp pizza over cold pizza. Unless by cold pizza you mean room temp, and not refrigerated.
I spent years telling my wife that bread should never be refrigerated. Frozen, yes, refrigerated, no.

I think I mentioned this before about chicken, but I’d take room temp pizza over cold pizza. Unless by cold pizza you mean room temp, and not refrigerated.
I spent years telling my wife that bread should never be refrigerated. Frozen, yes, refrigerated, no.

I tried the frozen bread thing years ago and it was terrible. I certainly wouldn't want refrigerated bread either.

I tried the frozen bread thing years ago and it was terrible. I certainly wouldn't want refrigerated bread either.

The caveat is that frozen bread requires toasting to become as good as it was prefreeze.

Correct, some things should never be refrigerated.

Or eaten at all.

Like Vegemite.

Fixed that for you. :lol:

While I am in the camp of disliking Vegemite (and Marmite), I do love Twigglets.

I'm of the view that whether pizza is good cold or not depends heavily on the quality of the pizza. Cheap pizza is good cold, and some of it is better cold than hot. Salt content is big here, with cheap pizza often having more salt, and colder temperatures subdue saltiness in much the same way flavor in general is muted.

Good pizza should be consumed hot and fresh, as it only degrades.

I don't dislike Vegemite (or Marmite, I suppose, but I've never had it and can't confirm beyond understanding they're broadly similar products), but I have to be in the mood. Sourdough toast with Vegemite is kinda good.

I have noticed that when there’s leftover pizza in the kitchen from my usual Italian place, it goes a bit hard after a few hours. Pizza Hut, on the other hand, though it’s rarely ordered, does last a long time.

Latest Posts

Back