Unravelling the Mysteries of GT Sport's Driver Rating System (and How To Improve Yours)

DR can be dropped because it requires you to always win or finish in top 3
You do not need to finish in the top 3 to improve your DR. Please read the article.
If i i start say 16th and finish 14th. Is my DR down or up?
Where you start is irrelevant. Only where you finish, and what your rating is compared to those around you. If you're finishing 14th, it's almost certain your DR will go down.

@Outspacer
Other than the 1500pt bonus for improving rank, are there any other miscellaneous factors that add/remove points from the system?
If your SR level falls beyond certain thresholds while your DR is two or more levels higher, it will reset your DR to a predetermined number. If it falls below 5, for example, your DR (so long as it was C or higher) is reset to 7,000pt. If it falls below 15, your DR (so long as it was B or higher) is reset to 20,000.
'In order to progress from DR C to DR B, for example, your SR must already be at B or higher."

Looks like this only applies to moving up and not going down because there are players in DR B with less than an SR B rating
Can My Sportsmanship Rating Affect My Driver Rating?
Usually no, but it may affect your ability to progress to the next level.
And, as mentioned above, it can also haul you back down, in specific situations.

Thanks for the article Famine! I recently tried to get the clean race achievement and started racing strictly from the back of the pack. Dropped my DR all the way down to D with 1 point on the board. Now that I can see how the DR points work I can better understand where I need to finish each race to grind my way back to C. Great article!

Edit: I only got to 4 consecutive clean races before being punted off the track to end the streak lol.

@Outspacer
Other than the 1500pt bonus for improving rank, are there any other miscellaneous factors that add/remove points from the system?

Well there's also -1500 penalty for going down a rank :lol:

Completing 5 races gives the player 2000 points.

Then there's the DR resets when SR falls past certain levels than Famine mentions. Which is buggy, so even if we knew exactly what it does, we still wouldn't know if it was what was intended!
5 -> 7,000
15 -> 20,000
35 -> 50,000
60 -> 70,000

Other that those cases, points simply move from one player to another.

For the system, the fact it's limited to 1 to 75000 points and this is applied after points are transferred means that someone with 1 point generates points for others (since others can gain, but he doesn't lose), and someone with 75000 destroys points from others.

Quitting from races, OTOH, doesn't affect the total number of points in the system (other than when cases above are involved). Quitters are treated as losing to all players that don't quit.

You do not need to finish in the top 3 to improve your DR. Please read the article.

Where you start is irrelevant. Only where you finish, and what your rating is compared to those around you. If you're finishing 14th, it's almost certain your DR will go down.

Yea, DR is not "permanent", but SR can be. You know what I mean. I met a player with rating S S but few weeks later I saw him C S. So how to maintain S S? Keep winning or in top position in S S lobbies? Almost impossible.

And don't get disconnected, that counts as finishing last. Although what happens when multiple people get disconnected or quit? They all count as last or do they still give some points to each other?
Even getting disconnected after finishing yet before the results are finalized still counts as finishing last :/

I've been inflating the point value, 5th time crossing the boundary into DR.A, 5 x 1500 points extra in the system. I deflated it earlier by draft bumping on Blue moon and getting reset to 7000 from 37000 (Although it first went up to 50000 before resetting to 7000) Couple more times up and down passed the A barrier to compensate for the 30k deflation.

Not trying to troll but this hardly unravells anything. There is no system from what I can see that can make everyone happy. I for one wanted to be competitive when I started but after racing some A and S DR drivers I know that I'll never be top tier.

I'm just happy to maintain an S rating now in sportsmanship and maybe steal some podium spots here and there.

And don't get disconnected, that counts as finishing last. Although what happens when multiple people get disconnected or quit? They all count as last or do they still give some points to each other?
Even getting disconnected after finishing yet before the results are finalized still counts as finishing last :/

They all count as 'last' and don't give points to each other.

I've been inflating the point value, 5th time crossing the boundary into DR.A, 5 x 1500 points extra in the system. I deflated it earlier by draft bumping on Blue moon and getting reset to 7000 from 37000 (Although it first went up to 50000 before resetting to 7000)

I've no idea if that's an inflation or a deflation overall... it's just a mess :(

Couple more times up and down passed the A barrier to compensate for the 30k deflation.

That'll just be -1500, +1500, -1500, +1500 etc.

Yea, DR is not "permanent", but SR can be. You know what I mean. I met a player with rating S S but few weeks later I saw him C S. So how to maintain S S? Keep winning or in top position in S S lobbies? Almost impossible.
SR is not "permanent" either. We discussed SR in a previous article.

It is, however, quite easy to get it up to the very top.

Not trying to troll but this hardly unravells anything.
The only thing we don't share in this article is the formula for calculating how much DR you gain and lose. That's because it's useless information. Without knowing everyone's DR points score before the race (which isn't going to happen), there is no way to say what position you need to finish in to score positive DR - their DR grade is largely meaningless as they could have many more points than their grade shows (I had 22,967 as a DR C driver once, which is over halfway through DR B and 316% of the score required to move up from DR C... but I was still DR C).

And even with that, what's the relevance of knowing you might get 900pt if you win and everyone's DR is better than yours, but only 200pt if you win when everyone's DR is worse than yours?

Ultimately the article describes how the DR system as a whole works, and what you need to do to make sure you're gaining it.

Great write up @Famine. 👍 I've not done very much Sport Mode (4 races) so I'm still ranked as an E (DR) and B (SR) respectively. Perhaps, knowing more about how the system works, I should start bringing it up to a level more representative of my skills.

Does your starting position have any influence on your potential DR rewards from a race?

Let's say I'm the highest rated driver in a race, but I have qualified at the back. Does the game still "expect" me to win/podium?

I wish it did. I've had situations where I start in 8th, get bashed off the track and end in 17th, climb back up to 9th, and end up losing DR. We should be rewarded for those kinds of comebacks, but unfortunately the DR algorithm has blinders on and only cares about your finishing place.

I actually did not know that the number on the car had any relevance, I always thought it got assigned by how fast players joined the race session :embarrassed:
Thanks for the article, it provided valuable information to me:cheers:

their DR grade is largely meaningless as they could have many more points than their grade shows (I had 22,967 as a DR C driver once, which is over halfway through DR B and 316% of the score required to move up from DR C... but I was still DR C).

Oh it's not that bad. About 85% of players have a higher SR letter than DR letter, so their DR letter is reliable. A sizable chunk of the remainder probably have the correct DR letter, but from looking at the race entry screen we wouldn't know.

A simple explanation of what person X needs to do to gain DR is hard to come up with. Partly because it depends on who you get matched with. By the time you enter a race, even if you knew the DRs, it's too late to do anything other than think "oh goody" or "oh crap"... you just have to get on with racing anyway.

My biggest grumble is that the DR rating system is effectively limited and guided by the matching system. One night I'm in a room with all A's and B's and finishing mid field (I'm B/S) the next, like last night, I'm in a room with only 4 B/S's and below and I romped home for Pole/Fastest lap and the win by over 8 seconds.

My biggest grumble is that the DR rating system is effectively limited and guided by the matching system. One night I'm in a room with all A's and B's and finishing mid field (I'm B/S) the next, like last night, I'm in a room with only 4 B/S's and below and I romped home for Pole/Fastest lap and the win by over 8 seconds.
I guess you just have to do the best with what you're dealt. As a B rank driver, if you're dealt a room of 3 other B's and the rest C's, aim to win that race. If there are 3 B ranks, and 11 A ranks, see if you can't be the fastest B rank driver, and why not take a few of those A's with you whilst you at it. As long as you're punching at or above your seed (for the sake of your DR), the rest is just the fun of racing :D

I think that's actually a strength of the system. You can never tell what your race will be like and lets you experience what it's like in the front, middle, and back. The only way to be consistently at the front is to set fast qualifying times and the top 10 times give a little clue as to what your grid might look like.

That'll just be -1500, +1500, -1500, +1500 etc.

Ah I never realized it took extra points on demotion as well.

Today it wasn't giving me much chance for change, unlike yesterday. Same alien up front taking the win each time, me finishing 4th or 5th each time, no real change.
JSGc.jpg

Graph courtesy of Jasguer
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/stats-site.373054/

The 2 biggest down spikes are disconnects. The tall spike was leveling up, last race of the day (before)

That little grouping on the right was Daily B today, not much to gain in rooms with 15 sec spread in qualifying times, S/S to D/S. Probably a lot to lose on a disconnect though.

Max SR races are pretty predictable during the week, not enough people racing, especially not GR.1

With the help with Kudospirme, it's definitely possible to check all the participants' DR point before/during a race, especially in longer races (Daily C let's say) there should be enough time to do the work. And within the waiting period before the next race starts, the DR points status of all the participants of the previous race can also be checked. Thus we can know how actually their DR moves. That's not hard work but you may need the help of a group of people to do it efficiently.

Also, I'm certain that if you're the only one or one of two S drivers in a lobby, it's almost impossible to gain DR without winning the race.
But there's not always that much DR:S drivers participating in dailies so it's almost doomed that you will lose huge amount of DR point as you race more and more. The only way for DR:S players to keep gaining DR is to do the FIA races. Dailies are for E~A drivers.

On the door number front - out of interest and speaking hypothetically, let's say you're brand new to the game, have never participated in an online sport mode race and are matched with a field of other drivers who are in the same position: brand new to the game and never raced. How would the door ranking system work then? :confused:

What's more fun, battling between 5th and 8th with people of the same speed, or

winning by 20 seconds against people way slower than you, while not fighting anyone?

There is actually middle ground between those two extremes, you know. For a while I used to battle in top 3 most of the times while I was one level below and there were some really fun, tight races for the win. I would love to go back to that instead of the top 3 being 3 seconds per lap faster than me, which I find rather frustrating. Besides, I would like to win those gold trophies.

Screenshot_20180228-093930.png I have a curve ball to lob in here. I have had 1 race today...started p1 door no 3 won and had fastest lap yet my dr went down 800 pts...any ideas

I have a curve ball to lob in here. I have had 1 race today...started p1 door no 3 won and had fastest lap yet my dr went down 800 pts...any ideas

A winner shouldn't lose any points, and I haven't seen any cases where they have when I've been analyzing races. Worst case is not gaining any (from players about 40000 points beneath you), but otherwise it's at least one point from each other player.

The only times I've seen something odd, sort of like that, I've been able to explain it by someone quitting out of a previous race (that hasn't finished by the time I grab the starting DR points, so the player's points haven't been adjusted for the quit yet). In those cases if I adjust the starting DR, all the scores for the race start behaving.

It looks like it has dropped for a few days
Yeah I had a delightful time at the grade 1 monza last week so the sr went down to 40 odd hence the dr went up to 50000...its slowly coming back down to where it was which was 32000

Not sure what time the days reset or when your race was, but possible it got combined with point totals from the previous day.

Might want to ask here: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...02-27-statistics-cars-feedback-update.362085/
Sorry i dont know how to answer 2 questions in the same post.
My last game last night was 5pm Queensland time and my only one today was 930 am so 16.5hrs difference. Unless the days reset when the races change over which is 430pm Queensland time?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back