Unravelling the Mysteries of GT Sport's Driver Rating System (and How To Improve Yours)

Discussion in 'Gran Turismo Sport' started by GTPNewsWire, Feb 26, 2018.

1. Voodoovaj

Voodoovaj

It's interesting that finishing above your "rank" should get you more points. I jumped into a race on a whim with no qualifying. If the rank and driver number are related, then I should be finishing 7 even though I started 19th. Thanks to all the all the penalty stuff, I actually finished 7th! For passing 12 A and B driver (all SR-S) I gained roughly 200 DR (sad trombone).

[​IMG]

Given the ease of losing DR, it hardly makes it worth the effort.

JacksHerer likes this.
  2. John Crellin

John Crellin

TBF 200pts for 7th place is pretty good. IIRC i finished 7th in a race a couple days ago and gained a whopping 3pts. The people you beat must have been pretty low rank because based on the math. If everyone above you was equal rank to you, then the average person you placed higher than in that race had 10000pts of DR less than you on average

Outspacer, JacksHerer and Voodoovaj like this.
  3. Outspacer

Outspacer

I just got only 60 points for a 2nd place finish, think it's a new record for me. 2 other As, 3 Bs, 2 Cs and 8 Ds. 3rd place would've lost me points. (and I only got 2nd because he had a penalty). The three of us finished 15 seconds ahead of 4th after 5 laps of Brands :lol:

edit: last race: 32 points for 2nd, with 1 other A, 6 (mostly low) Bs, 5 Cs and 2 Ds. :banghead:

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    John Crellin likes this.
  4. Robben

Robben

But you should be qualifying higher. The fact that door numbers are assigned based on numerical DR rating can't account for if you didn't qualify. If you had qualified then you "should" have been starting 7th and potentially gaining more places.

The effort should come in qualifying first. "Gaining positions" would be a ridiculous way of handing out DR as otherwise everyone would start with no qualifying time. Gaining positions is only worth measuring if you start where you "should" based on your DR.

5. Voodoovaj

Voodoovaj

If everyone started with no qualifying time, then it would be better way to gain DR because we'd all start by DR rank. I don't believe you thought through your comment. I believe you imagined everyone would start last, which is obviously impossible.

Of course, we could just do time attack and not race at all :rolleyes:

6. Robben

Robben

When I say everyone, I mean 'everyone who would be inclined to not qualify so they would gain DR by gaining positions'. I didn't imagine everyone starting last :lol:

Edit: and starting by DR rank is :crazy:... just gives an advantage to the higher rated driver.

7. Voodoovaj

Voodoovaj

None the less, sure passing a handful of people that are lower ranked than you shouldn't crank your DR, but over half the field? Maybe that could give a little love. In any event, I took that pic because it's my pet peeve with the penalty system. I think I only legitimately passed 2-3 drivers. The rest were penalty passes.

8. Robben

Robben

I do agree, to an extent... like yesterday I started on Yama P12 with door number 2 (ok, it's not my best circuit) and I managed to finish 6th. Now, because that was my absolute best qualifying time, then yeah gaining 6 positions should be rewarded... but the game can't tell that

9. Macboyilija

Macboyilija

I also agree Voodoovaj but Robben just hit the right spot. With your intentions making a good qualify would be totally useless since you can start at the end and work yourself up easily and gain DR. Its not that easy and I can understand this, regardless that it feels bad because of your great race.

I certainly am up for a better reward system, in any way. Playing sport mode is rewarded pretty bad for an e-sport game compared to GT league where big prizes and cars fall every second... should be the other way around.

Robben and Alpha Cipher like this.
  10. dazdilly75

dazdilly75

Really interesting read. Last night I entered the Nurburgring GR4 TT one make and I didn't qualify for the first race. It was an absolute disaster, I went from BS to BB due to dealing with low rated drivers at the back. I finished 14th in a field of 17. Next race I qualified with a 8:53 1lap. And it got me a couple poles and I never stared less than 3rd out of five races. I miraculously won the next 4 races, the last against an SS rated driver with an 8:47 pole. In 4 races I went from BB to AS.... Happy days!

Robben and Macboyilija like this.
  11. Sander 001

Sander 001

I thought DR is capped by your SR. But I've seen people with higher DR than SR. Has something changed recently?

12. Alpha Cipher

Alpha Cipher

Your DR can be at most 1 level above your SR
    S/A, A/B, B/C, and C/D are all possible combinations

xxxman1 likes this.
  13. GWJP RACING

GWJP RACING

Good article. I was A Dr and S Sr and after 1 night of playing Monza I dropped all the way down to D for both.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
  14. Sander 001

Sander 001

I’ve seen S/B though, 100%

xxxman1 likes this.
  15. Alpha Cipher

Alpha Cipher

Ahh, sorry. It's 2 levels, not one
    My bad :dunce:

Robben, Sander 001 and xxxman1 like this.
  16. Robben

Robben

Alpha Cipher likes this.
  17. Nuschel01

Nuschel01

You can't be S/B... If you reach SR:B your DR will be reset to 40000.
    The only thing where you'll be able to see S/B is because after the race the SR is updated and changes are shown with a red or blue letter whereas the DR doesn't change

Robben likes this.
  18. Famine

Famine Administrator

I think that the reset only triggers when you drop 5pt below the SR boundary. I've been B/D after dropping from B/B to an SR of 18. It was only when I hit SR 14 that I got a reset to 20k and dropped to C/D.

So you should be okay to be S/B if your SR is still above 60.

Outspacer likes this.
  19. Nuschel01

Nuschel01

I dropped to 59 last week :ouch: :mad:

Robben likes this.
  20. Robben

Robben

Alpha Cipher likes this.
  21. Nuschel01

Nuschel01

Alpha Cipher likes this.
  22. Outspacer

Outspacer

Yeah, that can happen, but as long as you stay right near the top of SR B you're OK. The reset happens if you fall below 60 SR (SR A starts at 65 for some unknown reason).

What I'm not sure about is what DRs get hit by that reset - it could be any that are above 40000 DR rather than just DR S.

John Crellin likes this.
  23. Ashthebash

Ashthebash

can someone explain to me how my driver rating went from nearly 32000 to 15000 in one race?

24. Outspacer

Outspacer

Your SR must've fallen below 35.

Ashthebash likes this.
  25. Ashthebash

Ashthebash

That explains it then. A night of getting bumped from pillar to post at Monza dropped me from S to C (25), obviously didn't get back on the crusade to raise the SR early enough.

Sander 001 and Outspacer like this.
  26. Zalex

Zalex

"The sorting algorithm for the game seems to rank alphabetically, where 8,000 would rank higher than 75,000, rather than numerically."

That totally make sence as i'm constantling battling against A and A+ guys been way faster than me by a few seconds and same happend behind... guys way more slower than me.
    It kind of break the fun and hope of getting a chance to win any races at one point if system put you against unbeateable guys.

They should fix it, and it's quite easy to fix.

Only other explanation is that we ate only 16 guys doing that race in sport mode at that exact time.
    Cant be with the number of pilots playing this game, specially on weekends.

Many time i cant even be matched with my same town buddies matching my ranking.
    I get match with higher and lower than me random guys... meh !

Thanks for lighting up this point, lets ask Poly to fix it so we can finally race against guys like us and have close finishing times. :)

Zalex, Zalex Racing Team Captain
    GT Championnat Québec pilot
    FB Page: Zalex Racing Team

27. VeeDoubleU

VeeDoubleU

The sorting algorithm is only referring to car numbers, and not matchmaking. If you are going against people way faster, that must be because of your sportsmanship value and how there might not be many people at a similar sportsmanship value, hence increasing the range of competition.

It matches on Sportsmanship first, and Driver Rating second, and it is based off the Sportsmanship value, which is hidden in-game, and not just the letter.

Zalex likes this.
  28. Zalex

Zalex

So that mean that to be able to win some races I need to crash all over the places till I lower my Sportmanship ? :(
    i'm Sportmanship S with a value of 99

Most of the races I compete against Sportmanship S guys, dont know the value.

29. Famine

Famine Administrator

That's certainly likely to get you matched with less able drivers - but beware that dropping your SR can, at certain points, make your DR plummet too.
    SR99 is almost exclusively matched to SR99, and even more almost exclusivelier (don't care that it's not a word) to SR95-99.

GTR365 and Zalex like this.
  30. Zalex

Zalex

I'll keep an eye on the SRxx of other that get matched with me, because despite their ''S'' they crash all over the place (and on me) most of the time.
    I can see their SR value over 3rd party app, so i'll see if what you say is right... as it does make sense.

Thanks.

Just frustrating been so many online and never been matched with same skills guys.
    How do they expect us to get gold achievements with a match system like this ?