Upcoming NFS game in 2017?

• Thread starter citroengt1
  • 199 comments

What do you want for the 2017 NFS?

• Total voters
I wonder if the physics are tied to the game engine itself or the physics are just stand-alone and could be used in both engines (Chameleon and Frostbite). This reminds me of how back when Rivals come out, people were joking around about how the cars drove like tanks since it used Frostbite. Is it true? Who knows. I don't really know how any of this works, to be fair.

Driving in Rivals and 2015 gives me a similar feeling to driving a jeep in Battlefield, I feel like I have no control over it :lol:

I really hope they get rid of the whole "auto drift" mechanic, which is what really kills the handling. I don't know how racing games work all I know is that those two games have the worst driving models I've ever played.

This ^^. Rivals already fit in to those two especially Hot Pursuit.

Besides that why would they scrap all the hard work they did with NFS2015 for just a NFS game that will be in the style of HS or Hot Pursuit.

Hard work? NFS's horrendous physics aren't it's only shortcoming. The entire game feels like it was rushed by a small team of people who'd never even driven a real car, or played a decent game before. It's complete garbage. If they don't scrap the lot of it, the next game will also be complete garbage.

The fact that ghost are once again making the next NFS game says everything I need to know to not bother with it, because their other games are a complete joke.

Edit: Sorry about the double post mods, please don't kill me.

My dream NFS would be The Crew with NFS 2015 graphics.

NFS' graphics aren't much better than The Crew's. The always night and everything's wet hides a lot of it's shortcomings. If you put The Crew on, wait for a rainy night, and take some pics, you'll find there's not much between the two games graphically.

I wonder if the physics are tied to the game engine itself or the physics are just stand-alone and could be used in both engines (Chameleon and Frostbite). This reminds me of how back when Rivals come out, people were joking around about how the cars drove like tanks since it used Frostbite. Is it true? Who knows. I don't really know how any of this works, to be fair.
Actually its true that all the cars drove like tanks in Rivals. In fact you can't even steer normally and you're forced to drift just to steer.
Hard work? NFS's horrendous physics aren't it's only shortcoming. The entire game feels like it was rushed by a small team of people who'd never even driven a real car, or played a decent game before. It's complete garbage. If they don't scrap the lot of it, the next game will also be complete garbage.

The fact that ghost are once again making the next NFS game says everything I need to know to not bother with it, because their other games are a complete joke.

Edit: Sorry about the double post mods, please don't kill me.
Again, I already mentioned this but "garbage" isn't the correct word to describe NFS2015, but the word "mediocre" is what I can describe NFS2015.

While the physics are bad (I also mentioned that Ghost should either create a new physics engine for the NFS game or EA should replace Ghost with a new dev who can make NFS better), it doesn't mean its completely drivable. Take Juiced for example, all of the FR cars in the game are completely undrivable unless you can cope with the physics.

If I was EA, I would give Ghost one more chance to create a good NFS because their two chances have already been wasted (one with Rivals and other being NFS2015, but they have shown a bit of improvement but it wasn't enough.).

Actually its true that all the cars drove like tanks in Rivals. In fact you can't even steer normally and you're forced to drift just to steer.

Again, I already mentioned this but "garbage" isn't the correct word to describe NFS2015, but the word "mediocre" is what I can describe NFS2015.

While the physics are bad (I also mentioned that Ghost should either create a new physics engine for the NFS game or EA should replace Ghost with a new dev who can make NFS better), it doesn't mean its completely drivable. Take Juiced for example, all of the FR cars in the game are completely undrivable unless you can cope with the physics.

If I was EA, I would give Ghost one more chance to create a good NFS because their two chances have already been wasted (one with Rivals and other being NFS2015, but they have shown a bit of improvement but it wasn't enough.).

I played Rivals on a friend's PS4 (was the first time I played a PS4), and I was shocked at how bad it was. When I played NFS 2015, it felt exactly the same to me. Garbage is the exact right word to describe both of them. It's interesting you bring up Juiced, because I mentioned elsewhere in a mini review of NFS 2015 that it and Rivals had the worst physics in a racing game I'd played since Juiced on PS2.

Considering games like The Horizon series, Driveclub, and The Crew, are all available (The Crew and DC cost next to nothing these days), there's just no excuse for EA to publish complete rubbish racing games like NFS. The map is minuscule for a current gen game (It would be average for a PS2 game), The graphics are good, but not great (marginally better than the crew, worse than horizon, not on the same planet as driveclub), the physics are hilariously bad, the car list is tiny, and the modifications are few and far between for this type of game, the story is cringe-worthy, the online capabilities a joke, and the AI would be poor for a PS2 game, let alone a PS4 game. This is why I call it utter garbage, because that's what it is. Not worth $5.

I played Rivals on a friend's PS4 (was the first time I played a PS4), and I was shocked at how bad it was. When I played NFS 2015, it felt exactly the same to me. Garbage is the exact right word to describe both of them. It's interesting you bring up Juiced, because I mentioned elsewhere in a mini review of NFS 2015 that it and Rivals had the worst physics in a racing game I'd played since Juiced on PS2.

Considering games like The Horizon series, Driveclub, and The Crew, are all available (The Crew and DC cost next to nothing these days), there's just no excuse for EA to publish complete rubbish racing games like NFS. The map is minuscule for a current gen game (It would be average for a PS2 game), The graphics are good, but not great (marginally better than the crew, worse than horizon, not on the same planet as driveclub), the physics are hilariously bad, the car list is tiny, and the modifications are few and far between for this type of game, the story is cringe-worthy, the online capabilities a joke, and the AI would be poor for a PS2 game, let alone a PS4 game. This is why I call it utter garbage, because that's what it is. Not worth $5.
Well I still play Juiced these days on my PS3 plus the PSP version of it (only difference is some new cars, new soundtrack (better than the original by the way), and new crews and leaders). The Viper is notoriously bad in every way in terms of handling especially when its maxed out to prototype class.

But I do have to respect your opinion. It just strucked to my mind of calling NFS a complete garbage.

I guess we could also conclude that 2 years may not be enough for Ghost to create a good NFS.

I guess we could also conclude that 2 years may not be enough for Ghost to create a good NFS.

Ghost have been working on NFS games since 2011. In that time they've made two games as bad as each other, and as bad as mediocre PS2 titles like Juiced. The argument that they didn't have enough time might have worked in 2013 when Rivals came out, but they had 4 years of racing game development to make NFS2015 good, and it was every bit as rubbish as Rivals. Considering the next NFS will be made by them two years after the last one they made, I'd be willing to bet it's more of the same once again. The fact that they've stated themselves that NFS2015 is intended to be the base for future NFS games is a worrying sign of things to come for the franchise.

Ghost have been working on NFS games since 2011. In that time they've made two games as bad as each other, and as bad as mediocre PS2 titles like Juiced. The argument that they didn't have enough time might have worked in 2013 when Rivals came out, but they had 4 years of racing game development to make NFS2015 good, and it was every bit as rubbish as Rivals. Considering the next NFS will be made by them two years after the last one they made, I'd be willing to bet it's more of the same once again. The fact that they've stated themselves that NFS2015 is intended to be the base for future NFS games is a worrying sign of things to come for the franchise.
If I remember 2011 was the year the The Run was made and it was developed by Black Box and not Ghost unless you're talking about MW2012 whereas Criterion was in charge. Ghost didn't exist until 2013 I think.

If I remember 2011 was the year the The Run was made and it was developed by Black Box and not Ghost unless you're talking about MW2012 whereas Criterion was in charge. Ghost didn't exist until 2013 I think.

I'm not talking about either of those, I said Ghost has been working on NFS games since 2011, not they brought a game out in 2011. Ghost were formed in 2011 by EA as EA Gothenberg, and the upcoming PS4/XB1 gen NFS games were their only games they had to work on. They were re-named by EA to Ghost in 2012. The only games they've ever made or worked on are the last two NFS games and the one due out next year.

I just hope there will be more diversity in car customization, that is if the game will have it. NFS 2015 car customization got stale really quick.

I think it fell well short of mediocre. Garbage is justified for some, but for me it was just straight out bad. The only, and I mean only, interesting thing about the game was the customization(even being pretty mediocre as well, considering the smaller car count you'd figure they'd be able to have a ton more than FH3), and the wrap editor. While it did look pretty, I have to agree with @Mike_grpA, that I think most of it is because it's hidden within the dead of night, and would look a bit worse if daylight was introduced into the mix.

It's not that it's undriveable, it's just that they make it very difficult for you to even want to drive in the first place. That's just as bad.

It's not that it's undriveable, it's just that they make it very difficult for you to even want to drive in the first place. That's just as bad.

It's not even the difficulty of the handling for me, as the game is laughably easy anyway, it's the fact that the physics make no sense at all. I'm at a loss to explain how anyone could have tested the game and said it was ok. In my mind, no game that has real cars in it should have worse physics than Mario Kart lol

So Rivals and NFS2015 are as un-fun to drive as I expected them to be? I don't know how it happens over and over again, no matter who helms the series. The physics made reasonable forward progress up through the PS2 version of Hot Pursuit 2, which I still enjoy playing now and then. Underground was the tipping point, IMO, and it's as if things are sliding backwards with each next title. Most players will never know the difference, of course, and sometimes I honestly wonder if that also includes some racing game developers.

What adds to the puzzle is how the best-playing entry in recent years, The Run -- one of my favorite XB360 driving games, no joke -- was saddled with outrageous design choices that took a fresh-yet-faithful concept, in the spirit of beloved classics like Out Run and Cruisin' USA, and guaranteed it to bomb hard. If the NFS franchise needs to switch themes again, another cross-country race with a variety of scenery & road conditions and an epic sense of distance would be difficult for me to ignore.

So Rivals and NFS2015 are as un-fun to drive as I expected them to be? I don't know how it happens over and over again, no matter who helms the series. The physics made reasonable forward progress up through the PS2 version of Hot Pursuit 2, which I still enjoy playing now and then. Underground was the tipping point, IMO, and it's as if things are sliding backwards with each next title. Most players will never know the difference, of course, and sometimes I honestly wonder if that also includes some racing game developers.

I agree, Hot Pursuit 2 was the peak for the series IMO. I liked the Underground games, but they just weren't as well made or as nice to play as HP2.

If the NFS franchise needs to switch themes again, another cross-country race with a variety of scenery & road conditions and an epic sense of distance would be difficult for me to ignore.

If that's what you'd like, I suggest The Crew, if you don't already have it. It has all of that and a lot more.

I'd say the first Underground was as good as Hot Pursuit II. There was a lot of work under the hood of that game and attention to detail which I think is overlooked because of the content. Underground 2 wasn't really as polished as the previous two and was horrifically more obnoxious in its presentation and style than the original, but I think they added a lot of nifty stuff to make up for it. What other title can you take an RX-8 and tune the engine like a turbodiesel?

As a game it was way more quantity than actual quality, but I don't think it was until Most Wanted than the threads really started showing; which also coincided with the first notable dicking with the physics engine.

If that's what you'd like, I suggest The Crew, if you don't already have it. It has all of that and a lot more.
I've been waiting on that one until I get a PS4, since from what I understand the XB360 version never got the updates that substantially improved the game. I was also turned off by the strong online emphasis and I was doubtful the physics would be up to par for me, but if I can play the game by myself, I'm sure a used copy would be worth it.

If the NFS franchise needs to switch themes again, another cross-country race with a variety of scenery & road conditions and an epic sense of distance would be difficult for me to ignore.
The Run's storyline did left us in a cliffhanger I think because from what I can remember after the race Sam (Jack's business partner and friend) asked Jack if he's interested in doubling down meaning there's another cross country race that's going to happen but didn't mention any details after that. So that could be a good starting point for Ghost if they want to make another The Run kind of NFS.

I don't mind another The Run type of game as long as they can continue Jack's story. In fact they should've made The Run into a movie.

Edit:
I think any kind of NFS would be ok for me whether it would be HP/Rivals kind of NFS, Underground-esque NFS, or even a The Run-esque NFS but the one thing that they have never tried yet is offroad or rally racing. Their last game that featured offroad/rally racing kind of NFS would have to be V-Rally (if that counts.).

Last edited:
I've been waiting on that one until I get a PS4, since from what I understand the XB360 version never got the updates that substantially improved the game. I was also turned off by the strong online emphasis and I was doubtful the physics would be up to par for me, but if I can play the game by myself, I'm sure a used copy would be worth it.

Fair enough, nah the 360 version would be a long way behind the current gen versions. As for your other concerns, I bought the game second hand a long time ago, without really knowing much about it, because I had only just got my PS4, and wanted a bunch of different games to have some variety, and when I found out it had so much online capability, I was concerned about it affecting the offline game, especially as I didn't plan to get a PS+ subscription. However, the offline story mode, despite having a story almost as lame as the average NFS game, is quite varied and takes a bit to complete, and the online stuff doesn't impact the offline game's playability. Even without PS+, you're still placed on the map with other players, and allowed to drive around with them, you just can't enter head to head races and crew events without PS+, but to be honest, I never got into that, even once I had PS+.

The map is simply enormous for an open world racer, and has a ridiculous amount of variation within it. There are tons of events and things like that, separate from the story mode, found all over the map, and some are a lot of fun. Around the map you'll go from big cities, some individual cities in the game are as big if not bigger than the entire NFS 2015 map, to countryside with awesome dirt rally roads, to desert with big dunes, to alpine regions with snow capped mountains, to swamp land. You'll find a bunch of racing circuits, including Sebring and Laguna Seca, and you'll find miniature versions of both Pikes Peak and the Bonneville salt flats. All of that doesn't even scratch the surface of the variety the game has to offer, Especially if you get the Wild Run expansion. At the price it's currently selling for, it's ridiculously good value.

As for the physics, I'd rate them as very good if not excellent arcade physics. Not as good as Driveclub, but a million times better than NFS. Also, The Crew is compatible with all PS4 compatible wheels, including Fanatec wheels, since it's an older game, and it drives surprisingly well with a wheel, which also shows the competency of the physics.

If they brought back something like NFS world without all of the microtransactions, then that would be by far the ultimate NFS game. (IMO)

Bigger map, better handling, more cars, day/night, more customization, and a better story would be good for me. Also, offline play.

Just to clarify for people who might not know, trademarking is really unknown territory when it comes to guessing future games. For all we know they might be just assuring a prototype of sort for several years in the future.

Looks like it'll probably be a F2P game, either on console/PC or mobile.
If this is an F2P game, this is more likely a NFS game that will be the successor to NFS World.

Edit:
Found the trademark info on NFS Arena. Sorry if its in bad quality.
need-for-speed.png

Last edited:
Back