Update 1.06 Discussion

• Thread starter Vagabond
  • 433 comments
Impressive how people keep trying to defend PD....with the words "soon" and "GT7P"

I can remember the days when the words the Real Delayator were invented. The excuses I hear from PD are:

1. Hardware not powerfull enough (PSX / PS2 / PS3)
2. It was planned but plans have changed (PS2 / PS3)
3. Huge leap forward over previous game (PS2 / PS3 / PS4)
4. Good DLC program (PS3)
5. Community features (PS2 / PS3)
6. Not enough time (PS2 / PS3)
7. We are working on it
8. Many more...members here at GTP can full up the list ;)....and the list goes on and on....

Excuses after excuses, promises broken and broken again, openly lying about features, zero communication, living under a rock, no innovation.

In the end if you take away the graphics and the new physics (which I liked) system people are still playing GT1!

....and now they are wondering why so many are angry :mad:

I understand the passion one has for a certain product or series but you are being "put in word of choice here" and you are seem to be enjoying it and are comming back for more :odd:

A little dramatic aren't we? Anyways, I got this for you.

upload_2014-4-8_13-20-19.jpeg

Impressive how people keep trying to defend PD....with the words "soon" and "GT7P"

I can remember the days when the words the Real Delayator were invented. The excuses I hear from PD are:

1. Hardware not powerfull enough (PSX / PS2 / PS3)
2. It was planned but plans have changed (PS2 / PS3)
3. Huge leap forward over previous game (PS2 / PS3 / PS4)
4. Good DLC program (PS3)
5. Community features (PS2 / PS3)
6. Not enough time (PS2 / PS3)
7. We are working on it
8. Many more...members here at GTP can full up the list ;)....and the list goes on and on....

Excuses after excuses, promises broken and broken again, openly lying about features, zero communication, living under a rock, no innovation.

In the end if you take away the graphics and the new physics (which I liked) system people are still playing GT1!

....and now they are wondering why so many are angry :mad:

I understand the passion one has for a certain product or series but you are being "put in word of choice here" and you are seem to be enjoying it and are comming back for more :odd:

Yep. And with all that, it's STILL the best console racing game there is.

Like with 1.05, 1.06 add's nothing at all to the game to make it more enjoyable to play (for me anyway). I did actually put it on yesterday for the 1st time in 3 weeks, did the new Toyota time trial then dumped it back in it's box and back on my shelf.

really? Probably just minor bug fixes.

Yeah, but what could it be?

Usually the hotfixes fix bugs introduced by the update. The last hotfix already did that, unless I missed an obvious glitch/bug that was a part of the update.

EDIT: The website isn't telling . . .

Last edited:
Yeah, but what could it be?

Usually the hotfixes fix bugs introduced by the update. The last hotfix already did that, unless I missed an obvious glitch/bug that was a part of the update.

EDIT: The website isn't telling . . .
Not So!
Last Updated: Apr 08, 2014
Gran Turismo 6 HotFixes
GT6 Update Info
The following issue has been addressed:

- Corrected an issue where the [Power Limiter] value of Car Settings could not be modified when [Vehicle Tuning] is set to [Prohibited] in [Event Settings] of the Open Lobby.

Well, perhaps as a brief respite from all the moaning, I'm actually rather suprised they included the 3D support already, wasn't expecting it for ages (I guess like most I was hoping they'd deliver the more important omissions like course creater and community features first).

Anyway, here is a mini-review on the 3D support:

• As with GT5, selecting 3D pushes the screen res down to 2x720p (L/R eye) so you lose some resolution. Expected really, with this generation console. Hopefully PS4 will be able to do FullHD 3D.
  • The resolution loss seems more apparent (more jaggies and aliasing) than in GT5, but choosing 'Reduce flicker' display mode helps a tad, but the jaggies and resultant 'shimmering' when driving are quite noticeable. once you're in game and racing though, it's less of an issue as you're moving pretty quickly and the sense of speed is great.
  • Frame-rate is rock solid (80GB FAT PS3) though as others have noticed some of the graphics, eg smoke seem pixellated since 1.06 in the game, and this looks worse with the resolution loss in 3D. Similarly there seems to be some sort of moire patterning that occurs at certain points, again possible related to the new shading/hatching that PD seems to be using for effects.
  • The fine-tuning controls however for 3D depth and convergence are great - depth has 10 setting from 1-10, 1 being shallow and 10 being the deepest. Your preference would depend on the size of your TV, how far you are from it etc, but I've found the 7-8 gives a great sense of depth on my 52" Sony at about 10 feet away, with the track in the distance feeling the right 'depth' to create the right sense of speed/depth perception whilst racing
  • The convergence point goes from 0.00 to 1.00 in 0.01 steps (IIRC 1-100 GT5). This controls the zero-point of convergence - where the neutral plane is. In most cases 0 is ideal as that's the plane of your TV screen and the track is, however increasing this number a litle pushes back the point of convergence which has the effect of making some of the HUD come forward and 'float' a bit in front of the screen. Increasing even further will start to make the 3D pop out of the screen a bit which some people might like - I tend to prefer the 3D effect for racing games as 'distant' so have set mine to 0.15.
Playing with these numbers is possible from the quick options menu which is great - so you can test the effects pretty quickly, even online as I was doing yesterday evening. As downside for online though, even though other players' cars are in the distance, their names are on the zero (HUD) planes so you get a weird effect of a floating name that doesn't seem to correlate to the car - hopefully they will fix this so the name is on the same plane as the distance of the car - otherwise I'll be turning off names online as it's quite distracting if you have a pack of cars ahead of you.

Other observations:

• Whilst 3D in game was great in GT5, some of the 3D in the menu screens and animations looked really bad (ghosting) as the convergence axis was too deep. This is fixed in GT6 meaning 3D in the rest of the game (albeit very little) doesn't have this problem. Cockpit views in GT5 were horrible in 3D due to a weird convergence point, but look fantastic in GT6 - you get a great sense of proportion of the cabin and even looking through the rear view the size of the car feels 'just right'.
  • 3D works throughout the game so the main menu has the floating blue dots behind the main menu items etc and viewing cars in Dealerships, GTAuto (painting, parts etc) are in 3D too. Unfortunately due to the resolution loss, the jaggies are even more apparent in GTAuto, compounding the odd colour/lighting issues, but otherwise works well.
  • GT5 had 3D photomode - unfortunately this hasn't made it way to GT6 as yet. The preview does indeed show in 3D however when you actually take the picture it is only in 2D
All in all, very happy with 3D, even with the loss of resolution and the jaggies - I played GT5 pretty much exclusively in 3D since that update - racing games really come alive with this tech, being able to see camber and anticipate distance better, so I'll be leaving this feature on.

Apologies for that interlude, please continue moaning.

(PS: I'm pretty annoyed at lots of the missing features too, especially the trolling that PD gave us with Zahara :mad:, but life's too short etc so I'm happy to just get on with enjoying the game :dopey:)

Edit: Tested photomode, doesn't take 3D shots like GT5 did.
Nice!
Just a question:
Active or passive 3d? Guessing active since its a 52" Sony.
Having passive 3d you get 720p anyway, 1080p is for active 3d.

All they seem to care about lately are selling points. Mult. monitors, 3D, GPS, these are just buzz words in hopes to generate sales and then when sales are 'maximized' then release the updates so more people can enjoy them; that's Sony/PD's philosophy now. It's a little sad. Whatever happened to that course creater from GPS data, drive a road and import it into the game? Maybe that will be next? That's certainly Buzz worthy.

Jerome

And what does that have to do with Tuning Prohibited lobbies?
As @iainoflo85 already said, what does that have to do with Tuning Prohibited Lobbies which is what I'm talking about?

Because you can still go into a tuning Prohibited lobby with a car built to class. As long you done touch the power limiter, add a chassis bar or add aerodynamic parts you can run the car as is. Build to class.

All they seem to care about lately are selling points. Mult. monitors, 3D, GPS, these are just buzz words in hopes to generate sales and then when sales are 'maximized' then release the updates so more people can enjoy them; that's Sony/PD's philosophy now. It's a little sad. Whatever happened to that course creater from GPS data, drive a road and import it into the game? Maybe that will be next? That's certainly Buzz worthy.

Jerome
All this may be ok if the game works perfect in all other aspects. But for me the most annoying thing (and i said this with BMW announcement and got criticized for it that it can not be so that PD does it for the money) is PD releasing new cars
as promotion for manufactorer rather than release cars we want and/or upgrading loved standards to premiums.

I didn't understand why your post was deleted because it was a useful information for the community !!!
Because of this I can't play anymore now , SO UGLY !!!
I already explained why, so stop trying to stir up controversy where there isn't any.

@ironman44321 - Stop double posting, use the edit button.

Because you can still go into a tuning Prohibited lobby with a car built to class. As long you done touch the power limiter, add a chassis bar or add aerodynamic parts you can run the car as is. Build to class.
You've never played GT5 or GT6 have you? Your posts make a lot more sense now that I know that.

Nice!
Just a question:
Active or passive 3d? Guessing active since its a 52" Sony.
Having passive 3d you get 720p anyway, 1080p is for active 3d.

Yes I went for an active display as I didn't want to lose resolution when watching 3D. Passive is passable on smaller TVs but you lose far too much detail due to the halved resolution and looks really bad on big sets

Tried the game this evening for the first time since the update.

Went online for a few laps with a mate, went to create a lobby and all my (all of three) saved lobbies had been deleted, no big deal...

Created and saved more lobbies. Opened up a room and things seemed slow to load, room finally loads and I could hear the music slowing down and speeding up!

My mate joins and the voice chat is all choppy, cutting in and out. Then the game freezes.

Reboot and try again, same thing seems to be happening...my mate has joined again, lobby music still all distorted, going to track, will see what happens...

For discussing the features and merits/drawbacks or moral impact of update 1.06 for GT6.

Keep it clean and civil. ;)

Documented Changes

Data Logger now available
[Data Logger] has been added to the [TOOLS] section in "My Home". The Data Logger analyzes the driving data stored on a Replay file and displays it in a graph, allowing users to view and compare variations in vehicle speed, acceleration points, braking points, engine rpm values and gear positions.

Welcomed that.

GPS Visualizer function introduced
[GPS Visualizer] has been added to the [TOOLS] section in "My Home". By driving a car equipped with the "Sports Drive Logger" (sold by Toyota) on a real-life circuit, the recorded GPS data can be transferred to “Gran Turismo 6” via a compatible USB storage media, and then subsequently converted into Replay file in the game. It's be possible to compare and analyze these GPS data using the [Data Logger] feature. This feature is currently available with Fuji Speedway, Tsukuba Circuit and Suzuka Circuit, with more tracks to be added later on.

Marketing genius at work. Perception is everything, and if we look deeper - a great tool for prospective buyers. The ultimate driving simulator. :D In tandem with the Data Logger a fascinating app. Not useful to me, but - hey - it was free. I'll take it. How much was that Sports Drive Logger again? I don't have to buy a whole car, do I?

Custom Rear Wing option implemented
[Custom Rear Wing] has been added to the [External Parts] menu, accessible from the [Custom Parts] options within the [Tuning & Maintenance] section in "My Home". You can choose a combination of wing mounts, wing style and side winglets. Users can also adjust the height and width of the wing to their liking. (*Please note this feature isn't compatible with certain cars.)

Yes, yes, thank you. More! Nice. Free. I'll take it.

3DTV compatibility now added
A [3DTV] option has been added to the [Display] category within the [Options] screen in the [MENU] (accessible by pressing the START button). A 3D compatible TV is required for this feature.

Not even remotely accessible to me right now, so useless. Strong feeling that out there there must be some Virtual Reality buffs who are happier than pigs in . . that stuff pigs are happy in. Free? NP. Dump it in. I got space.

Adjustments to the Open Lobby
- From the Member List, it is now possible to see the Performance Points, maximum output and weight of the cars that have joined the room.
- An "Overall Best" time is now displayed on screen while in Practice, Qualifying, Time Trial and Drift Trial.
- The minimum value for [Max Power Limit] and [Minimum Weight] has been changed from 10 to 1.
- The options available in the [Race Type] menu within [Room Settings] of the "Event Settings" screen have been changed. New options include:
  • -Race for Fun
    -Race for Real
    -Cruising
    -Make Friends
    -Show Off Your Cars
    -Share Tips and Info
    -Café

More tweaks to the Online experience. Nothing negative, maybe even improvements. I see a set-up - things being prepared for the future. Or maybe those are just cobwebs on my crystal ball.

Cafe? Where are the cones? Making Friends? Car shows? Tips and Info? PD is tailoring the game to the lobbies that were being made - "we want to make the game how you want to play, not how we want you to play ....."
What is the overall 'personality' of the Online Lobbies right now?
I dived into the Lobbies right after the update and checked the pages; more than 80% on each page were self-described as 'Race for Fun'.

Other improvements and adjustments
- The Traction Control System (TCS) which is activated when driving off-track is now used only in sand/gravel pits.
- The strength of the "Real" option for the [Slipstream Strength] parameter within [Race Settings] when creating a room in [Open Lobby], has been weakened.

More fine-tuning of the game - I couldn't imagine how we survived before games went Online. :lol:

A final comment:
On average I have found that (in comparison to the other games out there) GT6 after-market Online attention towards players grows, thrives, and continues to expand at a beneficially disproportionate scale in relation to the money expended by the players serviced.
Gad - I threw so much money at TDU2, for instance - and in comparison GT6 has given me value for money, and continues to give.

Update was fast, (cabled and running a slim 360GB) and since I just did it a few hours ago, both 1.06 and the Hotfix for the 'Tuning Prohibited' crisis zipped in one after the other; all done in less than half an hour.

Back