Update 1.10 (and 1.11) Undocumented Changes Thread

• Thread starter Ameer67
  • 579 comments
Or, you could watch rally drivers, formula car drivers, touring car drivers... I maintain that NASCAR is separate from other motorsports....
Looking at these:

...I'd say we're either both right, or both wrong: they're kind of at 9.30-2.30.

You missed my point about NASCAR, read the last sentence again. 9-3 might be the most common, but it's terrible for fatigue.

there are no "ERS" that work without Kinetic energy, to my knowledge?

:lol:
For the 'Mericans, 10cm=4 inches...

in real life or in game? IRL racecar drivers are more often on 10-2, 9-3 is for casual driving (or grandpa's lol, and when with a lady [do not do at home!], it's left hand at 7 o'clock and right hand on her shoulder :P).
As for less tiring, I'd say holding your arms at 11-1 with the wheel close(r) to the body is best.
If you know NASCAR, watch Brad Keselowski. If you don't, look for an onboard view of the guy on Youtube, and acknowledge he's skinny and that NASCAR races can go up to 4 hours!

F1 uses an energy recovery system that works on heat from the turbo it's called MGU-H.
http://www.formula1.com/inside_f1/understanding_f1_racing/8763.html

9-3 is the correct position for performance driving, it allows you the most wheel travel with the minimal effort. To quote: "From a racing perspective the ’3-9′ grip should be adopted as this provides maximum steering wheel torque for minimal arm muscle effort and allows the greatest maximum steering wheel angle of the two grips."

Source, complete with pics and videos. http://www.drive7tenths.com/driving-tutorials/tutorial-steering-techniques/

EDIT: And NASCAR doesn't apply, they need to keep their arms in basically the same exact position for 3 hours at a time and this forces them to adopt a different technique.

EDIT 2: And actually, a lot of driving instructors will encourage shuffle steering, which makes all of this a moot point.

Last edited:
If you know NASCAR, watch Brad Keselowski. If you don't, look for an onboard view of the guy on Youtube, and acknowledge he's skinny and that NASCAR races can go up to 4 hours!
Only smashing against other racers was footage what I found. Maybe that hand positioning has something to do with that ;)

Did you actually try searching without "crashes" in the search box?

Excellent video, but what are you implying by it? It looks like 9 & 3 position. Every vehicle I've ever driven on track, I've always used 9 & 3...

Yeah, I'd say it's quite popular. Heck, I even drive my work truck with 9 & 3.

Excellent video, but what are you implying by it?

I posted a NASCAR video that wasn't a crash and I got one so people could determine what the driving position was. Of course, that's one of many.

Edit: Here's two more:

For those curious about the second video, Max Papis is the one actually driving the car (on the left) while Austin Dillon is on the one sitting on the right.

Last edited:
Update 1.11 undocumented changes are allowed to be posted here. The reason is that I'm not expecting many changes in a 30 MB update. It wouldn't be worth creating a new thread.

Update 1.11 undocumented changes are allowed to be posted here. The reason is that I'm not expecting many changes in a 30 MB update. It wouldn't be worth creating a new thread.
You should change the title so people would notice.

F1 uses an energy recovery system that works on heat from the turbo it's called MGU-H.
Porsche use it on their 919 hybrid lmp1 car as well. You can make solar panels on your roof and recover energy. You can make a small wind turbine and recover energy. You can make trick suspension and recover energy! Its mostly about energy systems. ERS is just a fancy abbreviation for the words.

Excellent video, but what are you implying by it? It looks like 9 & 3 position. Every vehicle I've ever driven on track, I've always used 9 & 3...

Yeah, I'd say it's quite popular. Heck, I even drive my work truck with 9 & 3.
the Harvick video shows his right hand as high as 1.30 + see vid below.

@BrandonW77
@OdeFinn

Keselowski, in a TRUCK... lol

It comes down to preference instead of "it's the best/the correct/how to drive".

@MadFlavour
yeah and multi-monitor fix

They both steer ONE wheel? :confused::scared:

No. Only the driver on the left (Max) is actually steering the car. The one on the right (Austin) is just hanging on the wheel. This two-seater is kinda a training car for drivers who want to get better at Road course racing.

As for Austin's feet, they're just being flung around as the car moves at the speed its going since he has nothing to keep his feet from moving around in the foot well.

no, the guy on the right isn't steering or driving (t'as pas vu le commentaire sous la video?), but it looks like he's using his feet though?!
No. Only the driver on the left (Max) is actually steering the car. The one on the right (Austin) is just hanging on the wheel. This two-seater is kinda a training car for drivers who want to get better at Road course racing.

As for Austin's feet, they're just being flung around as the car moves at the speed its going since he has nothing to keep his feet from moving around in the foot well.

They see me trollin', they hatin'!! :lol: :cheers: :gtpflag:

part of the infamous pitstop bug is back
yesterday on our last race at Spa, we decided to activate rain and super fast tire wear to be able to have a pitstop within 15 min
rain came in a little bit before the pit time
and a few friends (4 out of 6) didn't had the change tires panel when entering the pitstop
they went out of pit 20 sec more than needed (full refuel) with slick tires with more than 25% of wetness
thus leading to a **** broken race

i only hope the tire bug after pit is not back, i've to test that ...

*** undocumented change claim
we put back the pit bug because it's fun to play with our fanbase

Not sure if it changed in 1.10 or 1.11, but I'm pretty sure the data logger has changed. The gear shifts are handled differently - instead of the shift being indicated by a purely vertical line on the trace, it's now at a slant (i.e. indicating that the shift actually took time to complete), and at the same time, the is a \/ (drop off spike) on the accelerator trace, even if you don't lift off the throttle yourself.

I'd swear it never used to be like this.

The motor recovers the kinetic energy of the turbo-compressor assembly. :sly:
It wouldn't work if the turbine didn't spin.

Granted, the turbo only spins because of the enthalpy of the exhaust (and the pressure difference - quite important, that is, it's a PERS! Don't drop it.), but the car wouldn't move if it weren't for the heat of combustion released in the cylinders, either. So the kinetic energy recovered from braking with the electric "KERS" motor / generator is also energy derived from heat. Ultimately, the whole system operates on heat, as does the universe (at the continuum level / approximation); i.e. thermodynamics.

In short, the terminology is all silly gimmicky stuff; "Hur, no, they're not engines, they're power units". They move the car, ergo motor; they are products of ingenuity, ergo engine. Deal with it, market-o-man - steam engines were still engines, dumbass. :dopey:

Let's just call them what they are, which is how they do what they do. I like it because, with all this new electrical stuff, it's kinda like the early days of internal combustion engines again: lots of exciting new avenues, and nobody knows which will prevail. :D

Not sure if it changed in 1.10 or 1.11, but I'm pretty sure the data logger has changed. The gear shifts are handled differently - instead of the shift being indicated by a purely vertical line on the trace, it's now at a slant (i.e. indicating that the shift actually took time to complete), and at the same time, the is a \/ (drop off spike) on the accelerator trace, even if you don't lift off the throttle yourself.

I'd swear it never used to be like this.

Yeah I see a slight slope vs a straight line, its so small its hard to tell if its any different to annother update.. I have seen the throttle drop on shifting since data logger was first released though. Also since before data logger on a shift there is a red line that is normally used to indicate TCS limiting throttle application, that is accompanying the shift to indicate the lift for the shift despite the input is at max.

Last edited:
Just doing a photoshoot at Sarthe 2013, and coming out of Tetre Rouge (right hander before long straight) I noticed that the road sign with the roundabout and road directions has been covered over with a GT logo. Not sure if this has been pointed out in another update, if so, ignore this.

Real Life
image.jpg

GT
image.jpg

Last edited:
Just doing a photoshoot at Sarthe 2013, and coming out of Tetre Rouge (right hander before long straight) I noticed that the road sign with the roundabout and road directions has been covered over with a GT logo. Not sure if this has been pointed out in another update, if so, ignore this.
I'm pretty sure its always been like that.

Back