User Decals - A Tutorial On How To Make .SVG (Request in separate thread)

• Thread starter daan
  • 1,462 comments
I agree with you. Any remotely more complex shape, let alone most actual company logos, quickly become so complex that it will be a tough job to fix them by hand. I think the long-term goal is to find out which of the softwares that handle SVGs can save any file in a way that will definitely make it work in the game. Manual fixing should be the exception.

Still, right now we're learning what's going on. Maybe we can get to work all of the possibilities that XML offers, and there are only tiny formatting details that the game gets grumpy about. The more we know, the easier it will be to fix because we would have to rework less of the XML code.

I don't know where else I can ask this.

Is it possible to use liveries (from the Discovery section) that other users created? I have 'imported' them but I don't know how to apply them on my cars.

I don't know where else I can ask this.

Is it possible to use liveries (from the Discovery section) that other users created? I have 'imported' them but I don't know how to apply them on my cars.
You must have the specific car for the livery in your collection, than go to 'Home'. The third button from left is to change the livery of the car. There is a menu on the top right, change to 'Collection' and you have your downloaded liveries.

Ran into a weird problem today, one of my decals didn't have any thumbnail preview but if applied to a car it can show normally. I've saved it from CDR file using Coreldraw X7 with SVG 1.1, presentation attributes, and convert text to outline option. Tried saving it to AI, then converted to SVG with Illustrator but still produces the same result
0O9KxCR.jpg

yQIEgwj.jpg

Ran into a weird problem today, one of my decals didn't have any thumbnail preview but if applied to a car it can show normally. I've saved it from CDR file using Coreldraw X7 with SVG 1.1, presentation attributes, and convert text to outline option. Tried saving it to AI, then converted to SVG with Illustrator but still produces the same result
0O9KxCR.jpg

yQIEgwj.jpg

In illustrator select it then choose object-artboard-fit to art. Might be a case of a small image on a huge artboard?

I've come to the conclusion that PD must be tweaking the server back-end of the uploaded virtually constantly. The number of failures, for whatever reason, has gotten dramatically worse for me this weekend, and there is no sense or logic behind it. Files that did work, don't, files that don't work, occasionally do. I'm of the opinion that a large number of the problems people have might be nothing to do with what they, or their software, is doing.

Been trying all night to use gradients in Inkscape, they all come up as black boxes in the game. Even in their simplest form, a box with a gradient. A lot of googling led me to this thread. Some people say it works in Illustrator but I don't have that at the moment so I am at a loss. Very frustrating! I tried some of the tips on here for manually changing the XML but still black... It's driving me crazy.

Been trying all night to use gradients in Inkscape, they all come up as black boxes in the game. Even in their simplest form, a box with a gradient. A lot of googling led me to this thread. Some people say it works in Illustrator but I don't have that at the moment so I am at a loss. Very frustrating! I tried some of the tips on here for manually changing the XML but still black... It's driving me crazy.

Illustrator has a free 7 day trial if there are certain ones you simply must have. Beyond that, a couple of guys on this site are trying to find workarounds and solutions. I know @Belifant is one of them, he may be able to link you to what they know so far, Im not sure.

Anyone help please?

I have used Adobe Illustrator and Inkscape to try and create SVG files but to no avail as the GTS uploader keeps saying its an invalid file.

Even SVG files I have used once or twice in game (that did not upload correctly) will now not upload at all.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Illustrator has a free 7 day trial if there are certain ones you simply must have. Beyond that, a couple of guys on this site are trying to find workarounds and solutions. I know @Belifant is one of them, he may be able to link you to what they know so far, Im not sure.
Best workaround is downloading it for free.

G'day all,

I seem to be having the same issue as some others and I've scanned the forum for an answer but have yet to find one so I post now in the hope of getting a resolution.

Followed the guides in this thread on how to make a custom decal, did it, lived it, loved it (not really) but keep getting the same error message whenever I go to upload "Invalid SVG format. "
I am noonish with stuff like this but usually can muddle through, but with this one I'm out of options.

I'll upload the two sag files I made, they are both under 15kb and of the 1.1 specification, tried saving under 1.0 but that didn't work either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and apologies if I have posted in the wrong spot, or missed the answer elsewhere..

Cherry O

Bainesca the dumb

Actually I must be dumb because I can't even upload the svg files on here for someone to look at, it's saying they do not have an allowed extension :(

Should I just give up and stick to using ones others have already uploaded?

**I forgot to add that I did the deleting of certain code and removed as much script and I could but it still won't upload into GT Sport** oh, I am using Illustrator and Inkscape and having the same problem regardless.

To add to my novel, I have uploaded the original versions of the files I started with, as I said, both were reduced to under 15kb as svg files 1.1 and 1.0 with edited script but no luck

Attachments

• police badge.jpeg
    police badge.jpeg
    55.8 KB · Views: 14
  • Unknown.png
    Unknown.png
    4.7 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Yes, Belifant had a similar case. I played around with the code in his SVG file and found that the sequence of XML commands is the issue there. It looks like Inkscape defines the shape first, then the color (e.g. a gradient) for the shape. However, Gran Turismo sport needs to know the color before the shape gets defined and colored. So it was a simple matter of cutting the line which defines the shape and pasting it behind the part of the code which defines the gradient.

If you like, I can look at your file. I may not be able to help, but I can try. Just zip it and attach it!

Followed the guides in this thread on how to make a custom decal, did it, lived it, loved it (not really) but keep getting the same error message whenever I go to upload "Invalid SVG format. ".
This can be a temporary issue with the GTS servers. There is a number of people reporting of issues with uploading decals which previously worked fine. But it may also be an issue with the files after all.

Actually I must be dumb because I can't even upload the svg files on here for someone to look at, it's saying they do not have an allowed extension
That's correct, SVG is not a file format you may attach to your posts here. To circumvent this issue, just zip the file first and then attach the zip file.

Yes, Belifant had a similar case. I played around with the code in his SVG file and found that the sequence of XML commands is the issue there. It looks like Inkscape defines the shape first, then the color (e.g. a gradient) for the shape. However, Gran Turismo sport needs to know the color before the shape gets defined and colored. So it was a simple matter of cutting the line which defines the shape and pasting it behind the part of the code which defines the gradient.

If you like, I can look at your file. I may not be able to help, but I can try. Just zip it and attach it!

This can be a temporary issue with the GTS servers. There is a number of people reporting of issues with uploading decals which previously worked fine. But it may also be an issue with the files after all.

That's correct, SVG is not a file format you may attach to your posts here. To circumvent this issue, just zip the file first and then attach the zip file.

Here is the two SVG files that I have been messing around with, I'm sure it's something basic that I have missed however I have no idea what..

If anyone can help I.D what I am doing wrong then I will be a happy camper.
I even tried making just a basic square and uploading that but even that turned out to be an Invalid SVG Format.

Attachments

• pies.svg.zip
    7.3 KB · Views: 15
  • pol22.svg.zip
    5.6 KB · Views: 17
Here is the two SVG files that I have been messing around with, I'm sure it's something basic that I have missed however I have no idea what..

I even tried making just a basic square and uploading that but even that turned out to be an Invalid SVG Format.
I took a quick peek at your files. Both files were not converted to SVG files correctly, I usppose this is why gran-turismo.com protests when you try to upload them. Especially the JPEG is a little tricky. I'll try my luck later on...

The art board size is too small. Having said that, you can't just open bitmap files in Illustrator and save them as an .svg.

Read this as an explanation:

http://www.gran-turismo.com/au/gtsport/news/00_4307308.html

It looks like the svg files just contain a raster image (png or jpeg), and I don't think wrapping an image in an svg works.
Instead, you'll have to trace the image - either using an automatic script or manually - to get it vectorized.
The exacts steps depend on which software you use (examples at beginning of thread).

As a quick example, I used inkscape to trace the magpies shield (path -> trace bitmap), but the the automated tracing doesn't work well on small images, particularly for text.
I assumed the text below the shield is Helvetica and did a reverse look-up for the 'Magpie' fonts (marbold), and replaced the traced text with the typed text.
Also re-did the shield because it was simple enough to make with triangles and circles.

Lastly, the size of the svg is decreased by removing unnecessary points created by the tracing algorithm.
This is the end result, which should upload fine:
https://cdn.rawgit.com/zials/d3f016...a1d6f2c919c7d8b1518c49c01dcc52f1b/magpies.svg

This seems like a lot of work, but it's easy once you get familiar with the software. It also depends on the source image, because a high quality image can often be used by just using the automatic tracing algorithm. In this case, the Magpies image was small.

For the victoria shield, I think you can find the svg on wikipedia. It is bigger than 15kb though, so you'll have to break up the logo into smaller parts or find some way of reducing the size.

Any idea of the maximum decals that can be uploaded?, can see these adding up quickly.
This has probably been answered, but 1000 for the ones you upload, and additional 1000 for the ones you add to your library from other players.

For the victoria shield, I think you can find the svg on wikipedia. It is bigger than 15kb though, so you'll have to break up the logo into smaller parts or find some way of reducing the size.
The link to the Wiki SVG of the police logo is here. It is pretty substantial at 117kB though. It can surely be slimmed down, but I agree that it probably has to be cut up or seperated into layers to get it into the game.

EDIT:
I managed to split the police logo up by color into 4 files which will upload into the game without issues. Whether they will be displayed correctly in the game you have to check and let me know. Please see the attached zip file. You have to combine the layers in this order (from back to front):

Victoria_background.svg
Victoria_blue.svg
Victoria_green.svg
Victoria_white.svg

EDIT #2:
I forgot to add that SVGOMG helped me greatly to slim down the more complex shapes. It is an online SVG editor which helps you optimize your XML code to slim down the file size of a too large SVG as much as possible.

Attachments

• Victoria.zip
    19.9 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
It looks like the svg files just contain a raster image (png or jpeg), and I don't think wrapping an image in an svg works.
Instead, you'll have to trace the image - either using an automatic script or manually - to get it vectorized.
The exacts steps depend on which software you use (examples at beginning of thread).

As a quick example, I used inkscape to trace the magpies shield (path -> trace bitmap), but the the automated tracing doesn't work well on small images, particularly for text.
I assumed the text below the shield is Helvetica and did a reverse look-up for the 'Magpie' fonts (marbold), and replaced the traced text with the typed text.
Also re-did the shield because it was simple enough to make with triangles and circles.

Lastly, the size of the svg is decreased by removing unnecessary points created by the tracing algorithm.
This is the end result, which should upload fine:
https://cdn.rawgit.com/zials/d3f016...a1d6f2c919c7d8b1518c49c01dcc52f1b/magpies.svg

This seems like a lot of work, but it's easy once you get familiar with the software. It also depends on the source image, because a high quality image can often be used by just using the automatic tracing algorithm. In this case, the Magpies image was small.

Thank you for the advice and the Maggies Logo!! I still have no idea what I was doing wrong though.. I think I did most of what you said when I tried to make the logo so I must be missing something in plain sight..

I opened Ink scape. Found a Maggies Logo online in png format that was small to begin with but large in appearence. I Imported it, did the Path - Trace Bitmap (reduced the colours and scans, unticked the boxes for softening etc). Then deleted the original pic so I was just left with the trace.
Then I zoomed in and removed a couple of trace nodes? (I think thats what there called) and then saved it as a optimised SVG.

Saving it I did the following

Under options I had ticked -

Shorten color values
Convert CSS attributes to XML attributes
Collapse groups
Create groups for similar attributes

Under SVG Output I have ticked -

Remove the XML declaration
Remove the metadata
Remove the comments
The Depth of indentation is set to 1
and I have ticked the Strip xml space box

After saving the file info says

12kb as a SVG file.

I know that you can't open a jpeg/png/bitmap and then just save as SVG, but I thought that's what the tracing function did and when you deleted the image part, you were left with a traced file with no rastered bits left, so I'm still a bit lost on how it appears people can load an image and then convert it across.
I shall endeavour to watch more youtube clips and attempt to master what is surely a simple (in a way) task, but I do really appreciate the tips and you did an awesome job on the Maggies Logo!!! I shall now be able to really show off my Collingwood FC Pride!!!

Thanks again for the advice and the work you did and I shall hopefully get my head around this soon!

Cheers,

Banyesca

The link to the Wiki SVG of the police logo is here. It is pretty substantial at 117kB though. It can surely be slimmed down, but I agree that it probably has to be cut up or seperated into layers to get it into the game.

EDIT:
I managed to split the police logo up by color into 4 files which will upload into the game without issues. Whether they will be displayed correctly in the game you have to check and let me know. Please see the attached zip file. You have to combine the layers in this order (from back to front):

Victoria_background.svg
Victoria_blue.svg
Victoria_green.svg
Victoria_white.svg

EDIT #2:
I forgot to add that SVGOMG helped me greatly to slim down the more complex shapes. It is an online SVG editor which helps you optimize your XML code to slim down the file size of a too large SVG as much as possible.

Thank you so much for the effort and work!!!!
I have downloaded the files and they uploaded into GT no problems. I am now about to go and have a play around on the ps4 and see how they turn out..

I will continue to try and work out how to do it myself but I don't know a huge amount about computer stuff...just enough to get frustrated over simple things..

Anyways, I really can't thank the people here enough for their help. It is very much appreciated!!

Cheers from Oz!

How can i resize my images guys? i've been trying to do a logo for the last 45 min and its all i need to finish all i'm having is trouble. I've tried other logos but either get file size to big or invalid file type

Thank you so much for the effort and work!!!!
You're welcome! It helps me learning about SVGs as well, so I don't mind!

How can i resize my images guys? i've been trying to do a logo for the last 45 min and its all i need to finish all i'm having is trouble. I've tried other logos but either get file size to big or invalid file type
I assume by resizing you are talking about the file size, not the image size (pixel width x pixel height), right? What logo are you trying to do?

I'm need the following- Shannons Insurance and the "Plumbing & Electrical" from the laser electrical logo and yes the file size

Good Day Guys, I don't own a computer and would realy appreciate if someone can design this livery for me and upload it. I tried with my smartphone but apparently you can't convert ti svg from other format and upload.
Please help...
images (7).jpeg

You're welcome! It helps me learning about SVGs as well, so I don't mind!

I assume by resizing you are talking about the file size, not the image size (pixel width x pixel height), right? What logo are you trying to do?

I need this one but only the plumbing and electrical part

logo.png
btn-logo-header-LP-LE.png
BP-Ultimate-Diesel-Promo-Box.jpg

Latest Posts

Back